RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Covid Cancellations/Postponements and Reschedules
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/12/21 8:29 pm    ::: Covid Cancellations/Postponements and Reschedules Reply Reply with quote

Purdue Fort Wayne's game with Ball State cancelled do to breakthrough cases at PFW. Looks like it might have started with the coach.

Quote:
PFW had already announced head coach Maria Marchesano was not planning to coach in tonight’s game prior to the cancellation. She was not on the sideline in Tuesday’s season opener at War Memorial Coliseum as the Dons bested Manchester University.

https://www.wane.com/college-sports/purdue-fort-waynes-womens-basketball-dealing-with-covid-issue-game-at-ball-state-cancelled/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.

Last edited by Ex-Ref on 01/24/22 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/20/21 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa.

Cancels game Sunday against Drake and drops out of Cancun Challenge.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32669840/iowa-women-basketball-games-canceled-positive-covid-19-tests

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/20/21 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It irks me that Forfeits due to COVID in the program count as losses. Or at least are recorded in the loss column. Like, the circumstances go beyond what a team is able to control. For example, the vaccination rate for all personnel (players, coaches, staff, etc) associated with the Iowa WBB program is 100%. What else are they supposed to do… just not get COVID?

I wonder how many other programs will be affected this year and what it will mean for NCAA tournament resumes, etc.

PostPosted: 11/29/21 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iona announces two postponements, 12/1 at Seton Hall and 12/4 against Wagner.

Note: Seton Hall has announced the Iona game as a straight cancellation, no make-up date.

(now with spelling variations)
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/29/21 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm SO glad the testing has gotten so much better so there's reduced chance of spread between programs. Last year, Duke got exposed when playing Louisville due to Louisville's more lax/delayed testing. A Duke player tested positive after that and that's when the Duke players cancelled the season.

~rAf
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/29/21 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Omicron really is much more transmissible than Delta, I'm afraid we're going to see a lot more cancellations and maybe the NCAA will have to rethink the automatic loss rule.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/29/21 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
If Omicron really is much more transmissible than Delta, I'm afraid we're going to see a lot more cancellations and maybe the NCAA will have to rethink the automatic loss rule.

+1. I should correct a misinformed claim I made earlier in this thread. A COVID-forfeit only counts as an automatic loss in conference play. (Maybe to regulate seeding for conference tourneys???) Non-conference cancellations count as no contests and don't affect either teams' record.

PostPosted: 11/30/21 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wright State - first conference forfeits of the season?

DAYTON – The Wright State women's basketball game between the Raiders and Marshall on Tuesday, Nov. 30, as well as contests with HL foes Purdue Fort Wayne and Cleveland State, scheduled for Friday, Dec. 3 and Sunday, Dec. 5, have been canceled due to COVID-19 implications resulting from positive cases within the program's tier one individuals.

Per League regulations vetted by multiple membership groups and approved by the Horizon League Council, the contests will be considered a forfeit. The games are canceled and will not be rescheduled.

Additionally, the Marshall game has been canceled and has been declared a no contest at this time.

Wright State is now scheduled to go on the road to Abilene Christian on Sunday, Dec. 12 before returning home for an Education Day contest on Wednesday, Dec. 15 against Lake Erie at the Nutter Center.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 11/30/21 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Wright State - first conference forfeits of the season?

DAYTON – The Wright State women's basketball game between the Raiders and Marshall on Tuesday, Nov. 30, as well as contests with HL foes Purdue Fort Wayne and Cleveland State, scheduled for Friday, Dec. 3 and Sunday, Dec. 5, have been canceled due to COVID-19 implications resulting from positive cases within the program's tier one individuals.

Per League regulations vetted by multiple membership groups and approved by the Horizon League Council, the contests will be considered a forfeit. The games are canceled and will not be rescheduled.

Additionally, the Marshall game has been canceled and has been declared a no contest at this time.

Wright State is now scheduled to go on the road to Abilene Christian on Sunday, Dec. 12 before returning home for an Education Day contest on Wednesday, Dec. 15 against Lake Erie at the Nutter Center.

IUPUI started off 0-2 in Horizon League play due to forfeits. Cleveland State and Purdue-Fort Wayne both are tremendous beneficiaries here with gaining another win without having to play as they also benefitted from the forfeits by IUPUI last month.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/30/21 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does the cancellation equals a forfeit rule actually come from the NCAA? I spent some time googling this and couldn't find any info to that effect, but I found numerous news articles saying a bunch of conferences had decided cancellations would count as losses for in-conference games only. Apparently it's also true for football.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 11/30/21 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s not from the NCAA, but independent conferences have set up their own rules to determine standings.

It’s going to be crazy if UConn has to forfeit games to Butler and Xavier and they lose the BEAST due to a forfeit. The Boneyard will melt down—but I’m not sure of what the rules are for all the conferences yet.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/30/21 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
It’s not from the NCAA, but independent conferences have set up their own rules to determine standings.

It’s going to be crazy if UConn has to forfeit games to Butler and Xavier and they lose the BEAST due to a forfeit. The Boneyard will melt down—but I’m not sure of what the rules are for all the conferences yet.

Yup, that's the Big East rule too. But my understanding is that the game would be played so long as a team could field 5 players.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/30/21 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The SEC says the rule applies if a team cancels a game due to unavailability of players due to COVID, injuries, or other reasons. It sounds as though a team could play with 5 players if the coach was on board with that. If both teams in a game can't field a team and have to cancel, then they both get a loss.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/30/21 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tulsa v Bradley Wednesday cancelled but I can't tell where/what the reason is...

IM in OC

PostPosted: 11/30/21 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Tulsa v Bradley Wednesday cancelled but I can't tell where/what the reason is...

from the Bradley WBB site

The annual "Field Trip Game" is cancelled due to multiple COVID-19 positive tests within Tulsa Tier 1 personnel.

https://bradleybraves.com/news/2021/11/30/wednesday-womens-basketball-game-cancelled.aspx

FYI--Tulsa last played Friday and Saturday in the FAU Thanksgiving tournament in Boca Raton Florida. Opponents were FAU and Austin Peay

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/30/21 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will be interesting to see how many holiday tourney teams have to back out.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/03/21 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arizona @ UC-Riverside cancelled.

Quote:
A spokesman for the UA said the Wildcats will seek to replace that game on the schedule,

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball/2021/11/24/22801055/arizona-wildcats-womens-basketball-uc-riverside-highlanders-2021-covid-cancellation-paradise-jam

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/03/21 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Utah St at UTEP cancelled. UTEP has it.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/04/21 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

watching BYU at Utah and they said 4 BYU players are in covid protocol so not with the team. My question is how can 4 players be in it and somehow miraculously nobody else was exposed? If they're practicing everyday with each other and presumably not practicing with masks on? How does this make sense?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/04/21 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is going to be a mess in a month.

Last edited by Ex-Ref on 12/04/21 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/04/21 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would think the ones that are playing must have had negative tests. Vaccination doesn't preclude getting COVID and being contagious.

Or maybe the four had been exposed to someone with COVID very recently and hadn’t had any contact with the rest of the team since the exposure.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/04/21 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And all this is why I'm not yet attending games in person. I've got my fingers crossed that no players develop life altering symptoms. Many players can't play at the same level for a year after contracting even a mild case.

~rAf
Queenie

PostPosted: 12/05/21 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An announcement was made at the St. John's game that the next home game, on 12/8 against Iona, has been canceled. I assume it's (still) Iona, because the La Salle game on 12/11 is still on.

Please note that this is not reflected on either team's website at the moment, nor did I see anything on the Red Storm's Twitter. (I can't see anything on Iona's Twitter, they have me blocked.)

Howee

PostPosted: 12/05/21 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
(I can't see anything on Iona's Twitter, they have me blocked.)

I just KNOW there's a good story in there, somewhere. Razz

PostPosted: 12/05/21 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Queenie wrote:
(I can't see anything on Iona's Twitter, they have me blocked.)

I just KNOW there's a good story in there, somewhere. Razz

I had the same though!!! Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: