RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WOMENS MID MAJOR TOP 25®

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RHSibley

PostPosted: 11/04/21 9:02 am    ::: WOMENS MID MAJOR TOP 25® Reply Reply with quote

https://collegeinsider.com/womens-mid-major-top-25

It looks like Delaware has a big head start over everyone else. Laughing
BYU is considered mid-major?

Any surprises to anyone? I'm surprised that with the rise of the SunBelt Conference that this has not translated into more recognition for the SBC women.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/04/21 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BYU is in the West Coast Conference as of right now and yes, that is a mid-major league. On the men's side, the #1 team in the mid-major poll is Gonzaga, who also happens to be #1 in the nation.

RHSibley

PostPosted: 11/04/21 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
BYU is in the West Coast Conference as of right now and yes, that is a mid-major league. On the men's side, the #1 team in the mid-major poll is Gonzaga, who also happens to be #1 in the nation.

That makes sense, but is still a little hard for my mind to wrap around.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/04/21 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So in other words, any school not in a P5 conference is considered "mid-major". Stupid. The term needs to be reworked.

PostPosted: 11/04/21 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
So in other words, any school not in a P5 conference is considered "mid-major". Stupid. The term needs to be reworked.

Apparently the BEast is not included as a mid-major, otherwise UConn would always be #1

PostPosted: 11/04/21 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Apparently the BEast is not included as a mid-major, otherwise UConn would always be #1

Yeah, so why is BYU considered a mid-major? It's definitely NOT.

PostPosted: 11/04/21 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It clearly lists what CONFERENCES are considered for the poll, but I will post it here for everyone:

NOTE: The Mid-Major Poll is made up of teams from the following conferences: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Horizon, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Summit, Sun Belt, West Coast, Western Athletic.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 11/04/21 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Yeah, so why is BYU considered a mid-major? It's definitely NOT.

Just give it a few years and BYU will be in the Big 12. Problem solved.

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/04/21 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

LOL-you're like a broken record of subtle digs. UCONN has been in a "mid-major" since the 2013-2014 season, yet 8 seasons later, this is your response? Like, you know why the Big East isn't listed, so why even make this comment?

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/04/21 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

The Big East and American are both considered Major conferences. Hence no South Florida or UCF as well.

PostPosted: 11/04/21 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

The Big East and American are both considered Major conferences. Hence no South Florida or UCF as well.

Did not realize this! Thank you

PostPosted: 11/05/21 6:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMNSHO, it should be judged on the SCHOOL, not on the conference. Otherwise how could the Zags be #1 on the men's side? But what do I know?

PostPosted: 11/05/21 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When my daughter played at New Mexico, there were very vocal fans that insist that New Mexico / Mountain West Conference is not a mid-major. Since they are not a P5 either, they consider themselves a “high major”. They will not let themselves be ranked in the mid-major poll... Possibly because there would be quite a few mid-majors ranked ahead of their schools…

pilight

PostPosted: 11/05/21 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

LOL-you're like a broken record of subtle digs. UCONN has been in a "mid-major" since the 2013-2014 season, yet 8 seasons later, this is your response? Like, you know why the Big East isn't listed, so why even make this comment?

Actually I have no idea how they chose which conferences qualify for this poll

PostPosted: 11/05/21 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
When my daughter played at New Mexico, there were very vocal fans that insist that New Mexico / Mountain West Conference is not a mid-major. Since they are not a P5 either, they consider themselves a “high major”. They will not let themselves be ranked in the mid-major poll... Possibly because there would be quite a few mid-majors ranked ahead of their schools…

I believe the American also requested not to be included in that poll, but that was when UConn was a member. I would think they certainly qualify now. There are a few conferences that do get ranked in this poll that could be argued have more quality teams for sure.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/07/21 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just noticed there's not Atlantic 10 teams here either.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: