RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA to Canada?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/19/21 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think a lot of people like the brief publicity of saying "I want a WNBA team! A WNBA team in X city would be great!" And then if they even get as far as actually being shown the numbers involved (which I bet a lot of them don't), they lose interest quickly. Generally the people who actually buy teams are the ones we don't hear about until the deals are done, because they're not the ones who just want to proclaim how great they are from the rooftops and are just in it for the easy headline.

PostPosted: 11/20/21 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
StevenHW wrote:
I don't know how much money Drake has, but I would think that if he really wanted to have a WNBA franchise in Toronto, he could afford to start one himself (and bring in additional investors as part of an ownership group, a la Magic Johnson with the Sparks)! Rolling Eyes

Is it just money? Seems to me the W is pickier than that. Haven't deep pockets tried to get teams before and not got them?

There is talk about areas wanting teams and in the end it doesn't happen, but they don't have the name or names of super wealthy folks attached to them from what I remember. The only super wealthy person or persons I can think of who expressed interest was Joe Lacob, one of the owners of the Golden State Warriors. But I have never heard anything about his political views or behavior that would have gotten him rejected. He told a local TV sports anchor in 2014 that he thought that most WNBA teams were profitable or at least broke even. He may have found out otherwise and changed his mind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: