Board Junkies Forums

WNBA to Canada?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/03/21 11:05 pm    ::: WNBA to Canada? Reply Reply with quote

Drake says he wants a team in Toronto.

Quote:
The musician took to Instagram stories on Wednesday to post that his hometown in Ontario should be the next home to a franchise in the WNBA. Especially after the Toronto Raptors won the NBA title in 2019, the thirst for the game has only continued to grow around the nation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2021/11/03/drake-wants-a-wnba-team-in-canada-he-has-what-it-takes-to-make-it-happen/119093394/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
awhom111

PostPosted: 11/03/21 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As with the NWSL, I am opposed. There's no inherent reason that Canada cannot have their own professional league, especially if they run opposite to the WNBA season. It would be nice if they were forced to do that instead of waiting for the American league to expand.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/04/21 1:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Not only that, but he also posted a pic of himself with the one, the only: Hollywood Liz. Goddamnit, sometimes ya just really love to see her live up to the moniker, y'know?

I mean, man – this one shoutout got multiple articles written about it, including from ESPN.

And if the League had any brains when it comes to their social media marketing – any, just a little, in any way – they'd find a way to acknowledge Drake saying this, in a tweet, or an IG story addition – something. It doesn't even have to be anything clever, such as recognizing that he has more than enough net worth to operate several teams by himself. Doesn't have to be something like that – just something, anything. Because love him or hate him, it's fucking DRAKE. A surprise shout-out like this really does not come along that often, especially now that we're firmly in the offseason, I— ugh.

@ This League: I'm just saying you could do better. Evil or Very Mad

awhom111 wrote:
There's no inherent reason that Canada cannot have their own professional league, especially if they run opposite to the WNBA season. It would be nice if they were forced to do that instead of waiting for the American league to expand.

On a related note, I was today years old when I learned of the CEBL's existence. Although maybe I had known of its existence previously since I have known about, and maybe even inadvertently watched TBT? Weird to learn about modern-day professional men's basketball stuff all because of a brief, unexpected Drake-WNBA crossover occurrence.

osubeavers

PostPosted: 11/04/21 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
As with the NWSL, I am opposed. There's no inherent reason that Canada cannot have their own professional league, especially if they run opposite to the WNBA season. It would be nice if they were forced to do that instead of waiting for the American league to expand.
Agreed. If Australia with a population of 25.7 million, can support a pro league, Canada with a population of 38 million should be able to as well. Then again, Australia doesn't have to compete with Curling.

PostPosted: 11/04/21 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes we really need Drake mooning over Skylar Diggins all summer

OTPH, the Toronto Hotline is a fine team name

PostPosted: 11/04/21 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
Agreed. If Australia with a population of 25.7 million, can support a pro league, Canada with a population of 38 million should be able to as well. Then again, Australia doesn't have to compete with Curling.

I think the geographic isolation and home-grown talent is a big reason for that. How competitive would a CWNBA be if all the best players are in the W or in Europe? It would endlessly suffer from comparison to the W.

awhom111

PostPosted: 11/04/21 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Not only that, but he also posted a pic of himself with the one, the only: Hollywood Liz. Goddamnit, sometimes ya just really love to see her live up to the moniker, y'know?

I mean, man – this one shoutout got multiple articles written about it, including from ESPN.

And if the League had any brains when it comes to their social media marketing – any, just a little, in any way – they'd find a way to acknowledge Drake saying this, in a tweet, or an IG story addition – something. It doesn't even have to be anything clever, such as recognizing that he has more than enough net worth to operate several teams by himself. Doesn't have to be something like that – just something, anything. Because love him or hate him, it's fucking DRAKE. A surprise shout-out like this really does not come along that often, especially now that we're firmly in the offseason, I— ugh.

@ This League: I'm just saying you could do better. Evil or Very Mad

awhom111 wrote:
There's no inherent reason that Canada cannot have their own professional league, especially if they run opposite to the WNBA season. It would be nice if they were forced to do that instead of waiting for the American league to expand.

On a related note, I was today years old when I learned of the CEBL's existence. Although maybe I had known of its existence previously since I have known about, and maybe even inadvertently watched TBT? Weird to learn about modern-day professional men's basketball stuff all because of a brief, unexpected Drake-WNBA crossover occurrence.

Were you aware of the existence of NBL Canada (at least for now until the CEBL finishes grinding them into dust)? The CEBL does seem to have viable model for existing and it will be interesting seeing what kind of roster the Edmonton Stingers can put together for their continental foray.

osubeavers wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

I usually use Hungary as an example given their sub-10 million population. There are at least some concerns about how Australia's league will do in the near future, especially now that it can be argued that basketball is only the fourth most popular team sport on the women's side. Even if it's not the highest level league overall, it just seems like it would be nice to have a Canadian league that scales to the country in whatever sport (besides the CFL). They could have multiple teams in the GTA along with a number of single-team markets.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/05/21 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Were you aware of the existence of NBL Canada (at least for now until the CEBL finishes grinding them into dust)? The CEBL does seem to have viable model for existing and it will be interesting seeing what kind of roster the Edmonton Stingers can put together for their continental foray.

Nope, I was once again today years old in hearing about them. Mr. Green Maybe I had heard about them once in some obscure mention years ago, but if I did, I certainly can't recall the exact moment. I see that it's barely ten years old, and it only has six teams left – of which two are "on hiatus" for the '21-'22 season?? (whatever tf that means...) I'm not crazy about the name "NBL Canada" either – way too spinoff-y sounding.

Clearly I don't keep up with the men's professional basketball world, other than which team wins the NBA Finals every year. I feel like I'm darn near legally obligated to know that. Razz

For the record, I'm in favor of whatever gets women's professional basketball in Canada started quicker. If that's a whole new League, great. If that's additional WNBA teams, great. The appetite is clearly there, and I think has been at least since the Raptors won their title – maybe even longer.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 11/05/21 6:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA can barely figure out domestic travel arrangements, now you want to add in customs too?
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/05/21 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
The WNBA can barely figure out domestic travel arrangements, now you want to add in customs too?

The Raptors, Blue Jays, Canadiens, and a dozen other pro teams in US-based leagues have managed it.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/05/21 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

The Raptors, Blue Jays, Canadiens, and a dozen other pro teams in US-based leagues have managed it.

Yes, but on the other hand, a) they have chartered flights b) we've seen WNBA travel arrangements

PostPosted: 11/05/21 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:

That was the first thought that came to my mind also...
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 11/05/21 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know if they e actually done any international travel yet but I know the NWHL went international recently. Should be interesting if they can pull off travel over the boarder.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 11/05/21 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd kinda really like to be a fly on the wall in the boardroom of the W to hear what league officials and owners are truly saying about expansion. All this conjecture, hyperbole, and rumors is becoming monotonous.
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 11/06/21 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

Yes, but on the other hand, a) they have chartered flights b) we've seen WNBA travel arrangements
Major League Soccer 3 Canadian Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal teams & they travel commercial with the exception of a few granted Charter trips in their new CBA. If they can make it work with a similar league I don’t see why the Wnba can’t. A Toronto team will closer to the East coast teams than a West coast team. Flight time from Toronto to NY, Connecticut, Chicago, Indiana, Minny is 1-2 hours flight. Shoot a Toronto team will be able to get to Atlanta in 3 hours.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/07/21 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
Queenie wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

Major League Soccer 3 Canadian Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal teams & they travel commercial with the exception of a few granted Charter trips in their new CBA. If they can make it work with a similar league I don’t see why the Wnba can’t. A Toronto team will closer to the East coast teams than a West coast team. Flight time from Toronto to NY, Connecticut, Chicago, Indiana, Minny is 1-2 hours flight. Shoot a Toronto team will be able to get to Atlanta in 3 hours.

The AHL uses commercial flights too.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 11/07/21 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

My point exactly.
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 11/07/21 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how the NWHL will handle international trave now that they have Toronto.

craigmont

PostPosted: 11/07/21 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:

Forced? Really? Toronto is an obvious major sports market. If there were investors ready to go, why should they be denied? Why couldn't Canadians do both?

A Canada-only league would probably be a low-budget minor or semi-pro league. If you think the travel and living conditions in the WNBA aren't good enough, what would this be like?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/07/21 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Forced? Really? Toronto is an obvious major sports market. If there were investors ready to go, why should they be denied? Why couldn't Canadians do both?

A Canada-only league would probably be a low-budget minor or semi-pro league. If you think the travel and living conditions in the WNBA aren't good enough, what would this be like?

Rather fascinating to ponder how Canada could be FORCED to create its own women's professional basketball league. Tons of Canadians holding marches all over the country with that demand? (That would be lovely to see!) Male athletes from Canadian sports teams joining in a boycott of their teams' games until there's a Canadian counterpart to the WNBA? Democrats and Republicans in the U.S. establishing an alliance to threaten war against Canada unless that Canadian league gets going? Smile

I'm with craigmont in what has been posted above.

PostPosted: 11/07/21 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

MLS has clearly shown why they can't do both. A Canada-only league started play in 2019, but is limited by the existence of the three teams in MLS and there was a conflict about where Ottawa could play. As long as people think that the American league could step in at any time, it would be hard for a Canada-only league to get off the ground.
toad455

PostPosted: 11/07/21 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I wonder how the NWHL will handle international trave now that they have Toronto.

And supposedly Montreal in 2022-23.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
StevenHW

PostPosted: 11/15/21 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know how much money Drake has, but I would think that if he really wanted to have a WNBA franchise in Toronto, he could afford to start one himself (and bring in additional investors as part of an ownership group, a la Magic Johnson with the Sparks)! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 11/19/21 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
I don't know how much money Drake has, but I would think that if he really wanted to have a WNBA franchise in Toronto, he could afford to start one himself (and bring in additional investors as part of an ownership group, a la Magic Johnson with the Sparks)! Rolling Eyes

Is it just money? Seems to me the W is pickier than that. Haven't deep pockets tried to get teams before and not got them?
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 11/19/21 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's more than just deep pockets. It's the kind of money.

Musicians are very rich but it's not the same kind of wealth and assets you see with most sports owners. Does Drake have the money? Probably. Could his wealth sustain the possible losses? Maybe. Is his wealth stable enough to oversee a team for 25 years? Would his interest sustain over that time frame? Eh. I don't know.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: