RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Conference Re-alignment
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/23/21 2:46 pm    ::: Conference Re-alignment Reply Reply with quote

It hasn't been officially confirmed, but it looks like the Sunbelt conference is expanding and will take in JMU, ODU, Marshall, and Southern Mississippi. This kind of leaves C-USA and AAC depleted, what with the poaching by the Big 12 due to the departure of Texas and Oklahoma. Dominoes are falling everywhere. I understand Liberty is drifting toward tC-USA, or C-USA is trying to reel them in.

I'm fine with JMU being in ANY conference that doesn't include Liberty. There had apparently been some talk of the Dukes going to C-USA, but I gather not. Sunbelt appears to be our intended destination. Announcement supposedly forthcoming next week.

Who has any other conference news?

PostPosted: 10/23/21 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The AAC is adding six CUSA schools: Charlotte, FAU, North Texas, Rice, UAB and UTSA. They should join conference play in 2023.

PostPosted: 10/23/21 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That would seem to leave C-USA with 5 teams (MTSU, Fla International, W.Kent., UTEP, and LaTech) +/- Liberty. Supposedly C-USA is in discussions with Sam Houston State, New Mexico State and Tarleton State about admitting them. And 11 teams in the AAC?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/24/21 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here are the changes thus far. Kudos to snowman on WBBDaily for compiling all these changes into one list:

SEC
Oklahoma (Big 12)
Texas (Big 12)

Big 12
BYU (Independent, WCC)
Central Florida (American)
Cincinnati (American)
Houston (American)

American
Charlotte (C-USA)
Florida Atlantic (C-USA)
North Texas (C-USA)
Rice (C-USA)
UAB (C-USA)
UTSA (C-USA)

Atlantic 10
Loyola Chicago

Atlantic Sun
Austin Peay (OVC)

C-USA
Jacksonville State (FCS, A-SUN)
Liberty (Independent, A-SUN)
New Mexico State (Independent, WAC)
Sam Houston State (FCS, WAC)

MAC
Middle Tennessee State (C-USA)
Western Kentucky (C-USA)

Missouri Valley
Belmont (OVC)

Southland
Texas A&M-Commerce (D-II)

Sun Belt
James Madison (FCS, CAA)
Marshall (C-USA)
Old Dominion (C-USA)
Southern Miss (C-USA)

WAC
Incarnate Word (Southland)
McNeese State (Southland)

Last edited by Stormeo on 11/17/21 12:04 pm; edited 5 times in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 10/24/21 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Football is a hell of a drug.

PostPosted: 10/24/21 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Football is a hell of a drug.

Isn't it? JMU is close to being King of the Hill in FCS, with only NDSU to conquer. But that's not good enough for the boyos who would rather be next to nobody in FBS.

As far as WBB, I think the Dukes would be very competitive in the Sun Belt. Or C-USA, as far as that goes, although I prefer not to be in a conference with Liberty, even though our girls beat them every year. It's just that Liberty is poisonous. MBB is a whole other story...JMU is very much a work in progress there.

PostPosted: 10/24/21 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
But that's not good enough for the boyos who would rather be next to nobody in FBS

Reminds me of UConn, who apparently prefer to be the worst team in FBS to being a possibly mediocre FCS team.

PostPosted: 10/24/21 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
But that's not good enough for the boyos who would rather be next to nobody in FBS

Reminds me of UConn, who apparently prefer to be the worst team in FBS to being a possibly mediocre FCS team.

Please don't give UConn any ideas about dropping down to FCS. That might give the Big East enough teams to consider a football conference in FCS and then other schools will jump in and I don't wanna be a fan of a football conference.

(And yes, you can still end up with a football school/football conference even if that school/conference isn't FBS. College football is an all-consuming monster, sweeping resources into its maw, and even if you realize you've made a terrible mistake, it's devilishly difficult to walk away from the sunk costs of facilities and such.)

PostPosted: 10/25/21 8:18 am    ::: Re: Conference Re-alignment Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Who has any other conference news?

There has been a TON of stuff out there. The Big East is pondering an expansion and word is they entertained the idea of going after Gonzaga and possibly St Mary's as well as Wichita State. Word is Wichita isn't exactly thrilled with the AAC now. I mean, when they signed up they were going to play UConn, Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis in men's hoops, which is exactly what they were looking for. However, with UConn, Houston and Cincy now gone and the additions coming in that have already been posted, they aren't the excited. Plus, it appears Memphis won't be in the league much longer as they will be scooped up by a P5 sooner rather than later. Even though they will be losing BYU, Gonzaga doesn't make a lot of sense to the BE. They get all the games they want vs top teams in addition to some pretty good TV money.

With the CAA losing JMU in both the full member league as well as the football league, there has been some chatter about what they will do. Will they go after a full member that has football (not a ton to choose from tbh) or go the route of maybe adding a non-football full member that will help men's basketball (like Winthrop or UNC-Greensboro) and a separate football member (like a Monmouth, who has their football team in a different league as the rest of the teams as it is). Adding a football team isn't a necessity as this will drop them to 11.

There are also lots of conversations ongoing in regards to the what the OVC is going to do, if the MAC is going to look to further pluck C-USA by grabbing Western KY & Middle Tenn State, if the ASUN is still hellbent on getting to 20 or more schools and then splitting up between football and non-football schools and having 2 separate leagues, etc.

To say we are in the midst of a pretty big re-shuffle is an understatement.

Oh yeah, speaking of Gonzaga, Wichita State, etc, there was also chatter about the Mountain West looking to add them. It doesn't look like that got much traction.

Anyway, there is still quite a bit more to come I believe.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/25/21 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of all this, I know C-USA is going to be very desperate to get their numbers up, but I don't see how they can invite Liberty given this article published last night: https://www.propublica.org/article/the-liberty-way-how-liberty-university-discourages-and-dismisses-students-reports-of-sexual-assaults

I am appalled at everything I read and saw in there. Even if only 10% of what is included is true, something major needs to be done to that school. As someone who has a college-age daughter, this has me so up-in-arms it isn't even funny. Outrageous.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/25/21 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Speaking of all this, I know C-USA is going to be very desperate to get their numbers up, but I don't see how they can invite Liberty given this article published last night: https://www.propublica.org/article/the-liberty-way-how-liberty-university-discourages-and-dismisses-students-reports-of-sexual-assaults

I am appalled at everything I read and saw in there. Even if only 10% of what is included is true, something major needs to be done to that school. As someone who has a college-age daughter, this has me so up-in-arms it isn't even funny. Outrageous.

Did the rape accusations at Baylor bother the Big 12? Granted, Liberty is worse than the usual run of them. I might know more than I should about them, having a friend who recently retired from the EMS in that town.

But C-USA needs $$$ and Liberty has that, ill-gotten though it may be.

PostPosted: 10/25/21 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

we've been arguing the ethics of Falwell U on this board for 15 years, haven't we? Nothing new under the sun.

PostPosted: 10/25/21 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's one thing when the school is already in the conference, i.e. Baylor/Big XII vs inviting a school in that has this floating over their head.

And yeah, they've been discussed quite a bit and I probably missed an article of this magnitude at some point along the line, but this one really hammered a lot of stuff home to me.

willtalk

PostPosted: 10/27/21 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why would Gonzaga and St Marys thnk about joining a conference who's teams are on the other coast? The air fare involved and time zones would be a killer. Now it wouldnt be a major hassel for the present Big East teams because they could plan one trip west each a season.

PostPosted: 10/27/21 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Why would Gonzaga and St Marys thnk about joining a conference who's teams are on the other coast? The air fare involved and time zones would be a killer. Now it wouldnt be a major hassel for the present Big East teams because they could plan one trip west each a season.

TV money is also a hell of a drug, but I think WCC teams to the Big East is a long shot.

PostPosted: 10/27/21 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
willtalk wrote:

TV money is also a hell of a drug, but I think WCC teams to the Big East is a long shot.

I agree with all of this. It seems absurd, but if the money is right, almost anything can happen. I mean, I was on the Stanford website a week or so ago and learned about the field hockey conference they are in, which is the America East Conference. Here are the field hockey members:

Stanford
Cal
UC-Davis
Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Albany
UMass-Lowell
Monmouth

I know it is only for one sport, but geez. If this can happen for field hockey, I can't imagine what can be done for sport of men's basketball and the TV revenue that can generate.

Honestly, can you imagine a "Big Monday" in late January that featured a Big East doubleheader:

8 pm EST - Marquette @ UConn
10 pm EST - Villanova @ Gonzaga

That prime time slot in the east would be kinda nice for Gonzaga while also being pretty beneficial for ESPN as well. You would get quite a few eyeballs watching that game on the east coast and would start so early out west that everybody could watch.

Anyway, I don't see it happening either but that has to be something that would be very intriguing to those schools and the Big East.

Last edited by purduefanatic on 10/27/21 3:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/27/21 3:00 pm    ::: Re: Conference Re-alignment Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
It hasn't been officially confirmed, but it looks like the Sun Belt conference is expanding and will take in JMU, ODU, Marshall, and Southern Mississippi.

Old Dominion now confirmed to be headed to the Sun Belt.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/27/21 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

If you're going to exclude Liberty for this behavior, you're going to have to exclude at least half the schools in the country. Coverups of sexual assaults are very common.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/27/21 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conference USA might lose their automatic tournament bid at this rate

PostPosted: 10/27/21 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm glad the P12 is not involved in this. I guess the Utah/Colorado schools could leave but at least in wbb they wouldn't be missed.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/27/21 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

If you're going to exclude Liberty for this behavior, you're going to have to exclude at least half the schools in the country. Coverups of sexual assaults are very common.

Oh I agree, but I would be surprised if it was this egregious. And yes, I'm probably being pretty naïve. I did see the massive attempt at a cover-up at Vermont last year. I admit, that surprised me. Guess I shouldn't be surprised anymore.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/27/21 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Conference USA might lose their automatic tournament bid at this rate

Lots of rumors they may be losing Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee as well.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/27/21 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Oh I agree, but I would be surprised if it was this egregious. And yes, I'm probably being pretty naïve. I did see the massive attempt at a cover-up at Vermont last year. I admit, that surprised me. Guess I shouldn't be surprised anymore.

It's exactly that egregious. The usual procedure is the school tells the student that she should let them handle the case internally and not to go to the police, and then they do nothing, either to actually investigate or punish the perpetrator and nothing to support the student.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dartmouth-students-claim-lawsuit-professors-sexually-abused-them-toxic-animal-n936561
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/20/us/harvard-sexual-crimes-complaints-alyssa-leader.html
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/21/us/yale-misconduct-report/index.html
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/usc-agrees-1-1-billion-settlement-hundreds-women-alleging-abuse-n1262075
https://www.ncronline.org/news/accountability/reported-sexual-assault-notre-dame-campus-leaves-more-questions-answers
https://www.newsweek.com/brown-university-dismissive-students-who-report-sexual-assaults-lawsuit-alleges-1617643
https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/education/university-of-vermont/2021/05/03/uvm-protest-kendall-ware-sexual-assault-handling-outrages-students-uvm-empowering-survivors-metoo/4927912001/

As for UVM, in the spring there was a massive student protest over UVM's inaction and lack of support for sexual assault victims, at which time the students presented a list of demands to the school, which agreed to everything. Two fucking days ago, the school said, sorry, we've reviewed our policies and find that we were already doing those things you demanded and you were just confused about it.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/27/21 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
As for UVM, in the spring there was a massive student protest over UVM's inaction and lack of support for sexual assault victims, at which time the students presented a list of demands to the school, which agreed to everything. Two fucking days ago, the school said, sorry, we've reviewed our policies and find that we were already doing those things you demanded and you were just confused about it.

What? Are you saying that 2 days ago they said they weren't changing anything in the way they handle this type of situation?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/27/21 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

What? Are you saying that 2 days ago they said they weren't changing anything in the way they handle this type of situation?

They hired a company to do an outside review, which was mostly of reviewing the school's written policies although they did interview a few students. The company was not given access to the case files so how were they supposed to determine what actually happened. They concluded that "UVM’s policies “appear sufficient to meet the University’s obligations under current federal law and guidance,” as well as that students were "confused" about the process, and that delays in the process were due to the "student's advisor." They did make recommendations for improvement but not to the extent of the students' demands at the protest, which the school agreed to at the time. WTH did they think students were demanding certain procedures if they were already being done? And UVM says "the report demonstrates UVM’s unwavering commitment to continually review and improve our efforts to prevent and to appropriately address allegations of sexual misconduct.”

Another whitewashing of higher education's disinterest in dealing with sexual assaults. This situation has been going on for at least 3 decades.

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/OffMessage/archives/2021/05/03/thousands-of-students-protest-uvms-handling-of-sexual-violence
https://www.mychamplainvalley.com/news/local-news/hundreds-more-come-forward-about-sexual-misconduct-at-uvm/
https://vtdigger.org/2021/10/25/outside-review-mostly-affirms-university-of-vermonts-handling-of-sexual-misconduct-allegations/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: