RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

SEC 21-22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/27/22 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Through Week #15 of the season (Feb. 15th through Feb. 21st) - (#: pre-season media ranking of SEC) :

#1. South Carolina: 25-1 (13-1)
#7. LSU: 23-4 (11-3)
#2. Tennessee: 21-6 (10-4)
#12. Florida: 20-7 (10-4)
#8. Ole Miss: 20-6 (8-5)
#5. Georgia: 18-8 (7-7)
#6. Arkansas: 16-10 (6-7)
#9. Mississippi State: 15-11 (6-8 )
#4. Kentucky: 13-11 (6-8 )
#11. Missouri: 17-10 (6-8 )
#10. Alabama: 14-11 (5-9)
#3. Texas A&M: 14-12 (4-10)
#14. Vanderbilt: 12-16 (3-11)
#13. Auburn: 10-15 (2-12)

Results in the Week:

Feb. 15th

Kentucky over Mississippi State 81-74

Feb. 16th

No Games Scheduled

Feb. 17th

South Carolina over Auburn 75-38
Kentucky over Vanderbilt 69-65
Alabama over Tennessee 74-64
Ole Miss over Texas A&M 74-54
Florida over Arkansas 76-67
Georgia over Missouri 74-49
LSU over Mississippi State 71-59

Feb. 18th

No Games Scheduled

Feb. 19th

No Games Scheduled

Feb. 20th

Alabama over Texas A&M 81-79
LSU over Florida 66-61
South Carolina over Tennessee 67-53
Ole Miss over Vanderbilt 57-47
Kentucky over Arkansas 78-55
Auburn over Georgia 65-60
Missouri over Mississippi State 76-66

Feb. 21st

No Games Scheduled

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/27/22 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Through Week #16 of the season (Feb. 22nd through Feb. 28th) - (#: pre-season media ranking of SEC) :

#1. South Carolina: 27-1 (15-1)
#7. LSU: 25-4 (13-3)
#2. Tennessee: 22-7 (11-5)
#8. Ole Miss: 22-7 (10-6)
#12. Florida: 20-9 (10-6)
#5. Georgia: 20-8 (9-7)
#4. Kentucky: 15-11 (8-8 )
#6. Arkansas: 17-12 (7-9)
#11. Missouri: 18-11 (7-9)
#9. Mississippi State: 15-13 (6-10)
#10. Alabama: 15-12 (6-10)
#3. Texas A&M: 14-14 (4-12)
#14. Vanderbilt: 13-17 (4-12)
#13. Auburn: 10-17 (2-14)

Results in the Week:

Feb. 22nd

Ole Miss over Arkansas 70-62

Feb. 23rd

No Games Scheduled

Feb. 24th

South Carolina over Texas A&M 89-48
Georgia over Arkansas 63-62
LSU over Alabama 58-50
Ole Miss over Auburn 72-52
Tennessee over Mississippi State 86-64
Kentucky over Missouri 78-63
Vanderbilt over Florida 63-59

Feb. 25th

No Games Scheduled

Feb. 26th

No Games Scheduled

Feb. 27th

Arkansas over Mississippi State 87-79
Kentucky over Auburn 90-62
Alabama over Vanderbilt 77-71
Missouri over Florida 78-73
South Carolina over Ole Miss 71-57
Georgia over Texas A&M 67-58
LSU over Tennessee 57-54

Feb. 28th

No Games Scheduled

Last edited by Conway Gamecock on 02/27/22 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/27/22 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Observations from the season:

South Carolina was as dominant as most projections had them. They had the stumble to Missouri to open conference season, but went on from there without dropping another. They went undefeated at home (14-0), and headed into the SEC Tournament as the #1 Seed and on a 15-game win streak.

Folks were excited and expectant about LSU's new head coach Kim Mulkey and what she will do with the program, but I feel even they weren't expecting such a quick turn-around. To go from 9-13 (6-8 ) in Nikki Fargas' final season last season, to 25-4 (13-3) in Mulkey's first season with a team of rag tags and patch-worked lineups, was quite amazing. They head into the SECT on a 8-game winning streak.

Tennessee had a season that began with great promise, but was brought down midway through the season with injuries and illnesses, but still had a strong 2021-22 that still has promise to finish even stronger. They had a rough final month or so to their season, finishing 4-6 after starting 18-1, but it was a competitive month with games against national top-10 opponents at #1 South Carolina, at #7 Connecticut, and against #8 LSU, plus a surprising upstart at #15 Florida, with disappointing upsets on the road at Auburn and at Alabama. They are the #3 Seed for the SECT.

Florida was a team that saw some volatile results on their season, but finished much better than their 12th-place finish in-conference that was predicted for them by the Media. They started a modest 10-5 on the season, then go on a 10-1 run through the conference slate to jump up in the standings and into the national rankings, before closing their season on a 3-game losing streak. What is mystifying is that the Gators beat some heavies in-conference such as ranked teams LSU, Tennessee, and Georgia during their win streak, then lost to back-end teams Vanderbilt and Missouri to wrap up their regular season. I have no idea what we'll see from them in the post-season.

Other quick notes:

Ole Miss is stepping upwards and forward under Coach McPhee-McCuin. This was a Rebel program that went 3-29 in SEC play the first two seasons under McPhee-McCuin, but has now won 20 games in a season the first time in her 5 seasons there, and 10-6 for their first winning conference record.

Georgia started out strong, then seemed to fizzle out or deflate a bit. They stormed into the season to get to 15-3 (4-2) before closing 5-5 for their final 10 games. They did play against #16 Tennessee, #15 Florida, #8 LSU and #1 South Carolina for 4 of those 5 losses. They've since rebounded to win 3 of their final 4 games, and move on to the SECT with some positive momentum.

Kentucky was perhaps the #2 most disappointing team in the SEC based on their pre-season media ranking of #4 in the standings. They close the season 15-11 (8-8 ), which is not as bad as it could have been when one considers they also closed their season on a 6-game conference win streak. Perhaps high-scoring star Rhyne Howard wants to have one final say before the curtains drop on her college career.

If Kentucky is the #2 most disappointing team in the SEC this season - again, based upon pre-season predictions - then Texas A&M can be argued as the #1, but to me it's more sad than disappointment. I expected the Aggies season's results to drop after losing so much of their leadership and game production from last season to graduation. But with this also being head coach Gary Blair's final season of his long and illustrious career, it's a shame that his team couldn't send him out with a more positive showing. Picked as the #3 team pre-season in the standings, the Aggies are down in the conference basement and expect to see no post-season offerings.

Arkansas: they also lost some offensive power fro last season's team, and have some quality young talent for the future, but went 7-10 after starting 10-2.

Missouri: the Tigers made the earliest and biggest splash of the SEC season with their upset win over the South Carolina Gamecocks to open the conference schedule. At the time after that win, they were 12-2 (1-0), and people started thinking they may make some big noise in the conference. They've gone 6-9 since, but a strong showing in the SECT could get them into the NCAAT.

Mississippi State: the Bulldogs have also had quite a bit of attrition this season and really, over the past 2 seasons. They are closing their season on a 5-game losing streak, and more changes are expected this off-season.

Alabama: the Tide had a huge slide at the start of the SEC season, but have righted their ship somewhat to close 4-2. A run in the SECT could get them into post-season play somewhere perhaps, but not likely the NCAAT without winning the SECT.

Auburn and Vanderbilt: projected as the bottom 2 programs pre-season, Vanderbilt did manage to rise above Auburn and out of the final spot which they were dispatched to by the SEC Media. Their rebuilding continues.....

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/27/22 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Seeds for the 2022 Southeastern Conference Tournament:

#1. South Carolina (15-1)
#2. LSU (13-3)
#3. Tennessee (11-5)
#4. Ole Miss (10-6)
#5. Florida (10-6)
#6. Georgia (9-7)
#7. Kentucky (8-8 )
#8. Arkansas (7-9)
#9. Missouri (7-9)
#10. Mississippi State (6-10)
#11. Alabama (6-10)
#12. Texas A&M (4-12)
#13. Vanderbilt (4-12)
#14. Auburn (2-14)

First Round (Wednesday March 2nd - SECN)

Game 1 - #12 Texas A&M vs #13 Vanderbilt
Game 2 - #11 Alabama vs #14 Auburn

Second Round (Thursday March 3rd - SECN)

Game 3 - #8 Arkansas vs #9 Missouri
Game 4 - #5 Florida vs Winner of Game 1
Game 5 - #7 Kentucky vs #10 Mississippi State
Game 6 - #6 Georgia vs Winner of Game 2

Quarterfinals (Friday March 4th - SECN)

Game 7 - #1 South Carolina vs Winner of Game 3
Game 8 - #4 Ole Miss vs Winner of Game 4
Game 9 - #2 LSU vs Winner of Game 5
Game 10 - #3 Tennessee vs Winner of Game 6

Semifinals (Saturday March 5th - ESPNU)

Game 11 - Winner of Game 7 vs Winner of Game 8
Game 12 - Winner of Game 9 vs Winner of Game 10

Championship (Sunday March 6th - ESPN2)

Game 13 - Winner of Game 11 vs Winner of Game 12

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/01/22 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SEC Awards:

First Team All-SEC

Kiara Smith, Florida

Jenna Staiti, Georgia

Rhyne Howard, Kentucky

Khayla Pointer, LSU

Shakira Austin, Ole Miss

Aliyah Boston, South Carolina

Destanni Henderson, South Carolina

Jordan Horston, Tennessee

Second Team All-SEC

Brittany Davis, Alabama

Amber Ramirez, Arkansas

Aicha Coulibaly, Auburn

Que Morrison, Georgia

Alexis Morris, LSU

Anastasia Hayes, Mississippi State

Aijha Blackwell, Missouri

Hayley Frank, Missouri

Zia Cooke, South Carolina

Tamari Key, Tennessee

All-Freshman

Samara Spencer, Arkansas

Jersey Wolfenbarger, Arkansas

Alberte Rimdal, Florida

Jada Walker, Kentucky

Denae Carter, Mississippi State

Sara Puckett, Tennessee

Sacha Washington, Vanderbilt

Iyana Moore, Vanderbilt

All-Defensive

Kiara Smith, Florida

Que Morrison, Georgia

Aliyah Boston, South Carolina

Tamari Key, Tennessee

Jordyn Cambridge, Vanderbilt

Player of the Year - Aliyah Boston, South Carolina

Freshman of the Year - Samara Spencer, Arkansas

Defensive Player of the Year - Aliyah Boston, South Carolina

6th Woman of the Year - Angel Baker, Ole Miss

Scholar-Athlete of the Year - Mikayla Coombs, Georgia

Coach of the Year - Dawn Staley, South Carolina

https://www.secsports.com/article/33397764/2022-sec-women-basketball-awards-announced

Howee

PostPosted: 03/01/22 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:

Interesting. I mean, we all know how good she is, but....she started with an incredibly *stacked* deck of players. I'd think Kim Mulkey actually earned the award, by virtue of the near-meteoric rise in her team's stock, from where they began the season. jmo.

PostPosted: 03/01/22 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Interesting. I mean, we all know how good she is, but....she started with an incredibly *stacked* deck of players. I'd think Kim Mulkey actually earned the award, by virtue of the near-meteoric rise in her team's stock, from where they began the season. jmo.

I entirely agree. The award shouldn't be about who recruited the best players two to four years ago and simply met universal expectations for that elite group of players—the proverbial hostess with the mostest. Rather, COY should be more focused on the hostess who made the bestest unexpected mostest. Moreover, I don't recall that Staley had to coach around the multiple injuries and Covid problems that plagued many programs this season.
Speebs56

PostPosted: 03/01/22 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

I entirely agree. The award shouldn't be about who recruited the best players two to four years ago and simply met universal expectations for that elite group of players—the proverbial hostess with the mostest. Rather, COY should be more focused on the hostess who made the bestest unexpected mostest. Moreover, I don't recall that Staley had to coach around the multiple injuries and Covid problems that plagued many programs this season.

Coach Yo was robbed!
Sad

Howee

PostPosted: 03/01/22 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
Coach Yo was robbed! Sad

Yeah, I'd say she 'Did More With Less' than Dawn did. Ol' Miss is definitely in a much better place than expected.

PostPosted: 03/01/22 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

The head coaches vote for Coach of the Year, so it's not as if it's outside people who think she just met expectations and the award was predetermined. Perhaps there are things the coaches know that aren't public that make them think Dawn stood out above the rest, or maybe they think she is the best coach and did the best job this season.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/02/22 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Your recollection is highly suspect.

Luigi Auriemma won AAC COY 5 times of the 7 seasons his program was a conference member. They never lost a conference game as a AAC member. He won Big East COY 7 times in the final 14 seasons his program was a member of that conference: they lost 14 regular-season conference games in those 14 seasons.

His teams were obviously very poorly stocked with talent, which might explain why no one ever protested him winning all those awards, but instead just shrugged their shoulders here as if it was already etched in stone......

Recruiting talent is part of successful coaching in college basketball. If it was an acceptable notion that the staff that brings in the best talent should never be deserving of COY accolades, then head coaches everywhere who won their conferences and achieved the most with their programs would essentially be banned from ever qualifying for these accolades. The most winning-est head coaches in their respective sports, would have ZERO individual awards. I guess that should include Hall of Fame inductions as well.

And that's entirely alien to the history of American sports.....

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/02/22 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the 1st Round of the SECT:

#13 Seed Vanderbilt ends (I assume) #12 Seed Texas A&M's season, and Head Coach Gary Blair's coaching career, with the 85-69 win. Vanderbilt advances to face #5 Seed Florida in Game 4 tomorrow (Thursday).

#11 Seed Alabama surged ahead in the 4th qtr. to take the lead and beat #14 Seed Auburn 75-68 to move on to the 2nd Round. They take on #6 Seed Georgia tomorrow in Game 6.....

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/02/22 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:
Coach Yo was robbed! Sad

Yeah, I'd say she 'Did More With Less' than Dawn did. Ol' Miss is definitely in a much better place than expected.

Coach McPhee-McCuin is building a solid program at Ole Miss, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Ole Miss' program was at rock-bottom: in the 15 seasons since 2006-07 when Carol Ross led the Rebels to the 2007 NCAAT Elite Eight, the program has suffered 5 seasons with 20+ losses, and 9 losing seasons overall. By comparison, in the 17 seasons South Carolina was a SEC member prior to Dawn Staley taking over, the Gamecocks only experienced 1 20+ loss season, and 9 losing seasons.

The first thing a coaching staff has to do, is turn around the culture of the program, and get it competitive. Once competitive, they then have to start winning those games that they are competitive in, but mostly lose.

Once they start winning more than they are losing, they THEN can start recruiting better talent, and start scheduling tougher opponents. And THEN - then when they are winning more than losing there, they can start comparing themselves collectively AS WELL AS individually - player AND coach - with other top programs. Ole Miss is well down that path, but they still have a ways to travel.

Ole Miss played a non-conference schedule that was ranked outside of the top 200, and almost outside of the top 250. Overall even with the strong 10-6 in-conference showing, they are just inside of the top 50 in SOS, at 49th.

Dawn Staley led her Gamecock teams in 2011-12 & 2012-13 to 25-win seasons, 10-6 and 11-5 SEC records and a Sweet-Sixteen finish in 2012. Her teams had lesser talent levels as Ole Miss - Ole Miss has 3 former 5-star players (Austin, Bracey, Scott) compared to 0 for the Gamecocks in those seasons, and just as many former 4-star players - and played similar SOS those seasons too. No one thought Staley was deserving of SEC COY awards those seasons. She won her first COY award the following season in 2013-14, when she led the USC program to its first ever SEC regular-season title, with 0 5-star players and only 1 McDonald's AA on roster. Had Coach Yo done that this season, then I EVEN would have championed her winning the award.....

Howee

PostPosted: 03/02/22 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For the record, I was being a bit specious in citing Yo. She may well get there, but....not there yet.

I really DO believe Kim Mulkey should be a front-runner for the SEC award. Let Dawn have NCOY! Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/02/22 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Your recollection is highly suspect.

Luigi Auriemma won AAC COY 5 times of the 7 seasons his program was a conference member. They never lost a conference game as a AAC member. He won Big East COY 7 times in the final 14 seasons his program was a member of that conference: they lost 14 regular-season conference games in those 14 seasons.

His teams were obviously very poorly stocked with talent, which might explain why no one ever protested him winning all those awards, but instead just shrugged their shoulders here as if it was already etched in stone......

Recruiting talent is part of successful coaching in college basketball. If it was an acceptable notion that the staff that brings in the best talent should never be deserving of COY accolades, then head coaches everywhere who won their conferences and achieved the most with their programs would essentially be banned from ever qualifying for these accolades. The most winning-est head coaches in their respective sports, would have ZERO individual awards. I guess that should include Hall of Fame inductions as well.

And that's entirely alien to the history of American sports.....

UConn won several titles in years that someone other than Geno won the COY award. I wouldn't be shocked to find out that you or other SCar fans probably supported Dawn for COY in at least one of Geno's title years.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/03/22 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the 2nd Round of the SECT:

Game 3: #8 Seed Arkansas beat #9 Seed Missouri 61-52, to advance to the Quarterfinals against #1 Seed South Carolina. It ends the possibility of the Gamecocks exacting revenge against their only loss on the season, or perhaps Missouri's chance to prove the first game wasn't a fluke. The Tigers will now have to wait and see if their 18-12 (7-9) record is deemed good enough to warrant the NCAAT, or if they go to the WNIT which is more likely.

Game 4: #13 Seed Vanderbilt fell by the slimmest of margins to #5 Seed Florida 53-52. The Commodores' season is likely done while Florida moves on to face #4 Seed Ole Miss tomorrow (Friday).

Game 5: #7 Seed Kentucky's own NCAAT hopes stay alive with their 83-67 win over #10 Seed Mississippi State. The Bulldogs (15-14 (6-10)) have a chance for the WNIT, but that's dependent on how the mid-major conference tournaments play out. The Wildcats move on to face #2 Seed LSU Friday.

Game 6: #11 Seed Alabama continues its SECT run with the first true upset of the tourney, by beating #6 Seed Georgia 74-62 to move on to the Quarterfinals. Georgia (20-8 (9-7)) is probably already secure with a NCAAT spot, but they haven't established much momentum to go on with their 3-5 finish to the regular season and conference tournament. Alabama moves on to face #3 Seed Tennessee: not sure how the Lady Vols view this upset - they beat UGA during the regular season in their only game, but went 1-1 versus Alabama, losing to them in Tuscaloosa 74-64.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/05/22 5:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the Quarterfinals of the SECT:

Game 7: #1 Seed South Carolina defeated #8 Seed Arkansas 76-54 to advance to the Saturday semifinals against the winner of the Ole Miss - Florida game. Arkansas (18-13 (7-9)) is slated right now as a likely #10 Seed for the NCAAT.

Game 8: #4 Seed Ole Miss beat #5 Seed Florida 70-60 to advance to the Semifinals and will face South Carolina Saturday. The Rebels (23-7 (10-6)) continue their great season - they have their NCAAT spot secure as a projected #7 Seed. The Gators (21-10 (10-6)) also secured their NCAAT spot prior to the SECT tournament, and were actually pegged as a #6 Seed, although I'm sure both teams could swap their seeding.

Game 9: #7 Seed Kentucky continues on it's late-season surge with a 78-63 win over #2 Seed LSU in their Quarterfinal game, and move on to the semifinals to face the winner between #3 Tennessee and #11 Alabama. The Wildcats were once 9-11 (2-8 ) on the season and Head Coach Kyra Elzy's job looked in real jeopardy. They have since gone 8-0 to improve to 17-11 (8-8 ), and are making a strong case for themselves to be put back into the NCAAT discussion. LSU meanwhile at 25-5 (13-3) had their own 8-game win streak snapped by the loss: their spot in the NCAAT is quite comfortable and in no danger. The Tigers were a projected #2 Seed prior to the loss.

Game 10: #3 Seed Tennessee prevailed over #11 Seed Alabama 74-59 in the final Quarterfinal game on Friday. The Lady Vols (23-7 (11-5)) will now take on Kentucky Saturday. They are a projected #3 Seed for the NCAAT. The Crimson Tide (17-13 (6-10)) were listed on the bubble in ESPN's Charlie Creme bracketology just yesterday, as one of the "Next Four Out" foursome. They will need some help from other teams.....

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/09/22 4:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game 11: #1 Seed South Carolina defeated #4 Seed Ole Miss 61-51 in their Semifinal game to advance to the SEC Championship Game. The Gamecocks displayed dominant defense through 3 quarters allowing only 30 total points in leading 53-30, but then the Rebels out-scored the Gamecocks 21-8 in the 4th Quarter to make the final outcome look more competitive. The Gamecocks advance to the Championship Game for the 7th time in 8 seasons, more than any other SEC member team in such a span.

Game 12: #7 Seed Kentucky continued its strong play late in the season by upsetting the #3 Seeded Tennessee 83-74 to advance to the Championship Game for the first time since 2014 when they lost to Tennessee. The Wildcats - 18-11 (8-8 ) - have played themselves back into contention for the NCAAT with 9 straight wins to end their season.

Last edited by Conway Gamecock on 03/09/22 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/09/22 4:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game 13 (Championship Game): In what could be described as a Cinderella season for the Kentucky Wildcats, the #7 Seed Wildcats leave the #1 Seeded South Carolina Gamecocks in the rear-view mirror in the 4th Quarter, out-scoring them 21-7 in the final period to edge the Gamecocks 64-62 and win the 2022 Southeastern Conference Tournament Championship. The title is Kentucky's 2nd SECT title and first since the 1982 title when they beat Tennessee 80-74.

The Wildcats won the game in exciting fashion down 62-61 in the closing seconds, but Forward Dre'una Edwards hits a 3-pointer to put the Wildcats in the lead, and Gamecock Destanni Henderson's own half-court heave failed to go in. Edwards had a career game, with 27 points and 9 rebounds. Rhyne Howard added 18 pts to the cause.

Kentucky - 19-11 (8-8 ) - is on a current 10-game winning streak, and have put themselves into the conversation for the NCAAT. In fact, they demand conversation ,since winning the SECT earned them the automatic bid into the tournament, forgoing any possible debate to the contrary. South Carolina - 29-2 (15-1) - should still be considered the overall #1 Seed for the tournament despite the stumble, so dominant was their season in total....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: