RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaching Vacancies Wishlist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
okstateguy

PostPosted: 03/08/22 5:56 am    ::: Coaching Vacancies Wishlist Reply Reply with quote

With so many positions already open, who are some candidates you'd like to see considered on your school's wish list.

For OK State, I've came up with:

Mark Kellogg-(Brad Underwood situation might give OSU doubts on this one lol)
Shereka Wright
Amaka Agugua-Hamilton
Megan Duffy
Lacey Goldwire
Sytia Messer
Samantha Williams
Erin Batth
Tari Cummings
Erin Grant
Todd Schaefer
Carla Morrow
Nikki Blue

Tari Cummings played at OSU during the same period as our AD's brother was a manager for the men's team (before he lost his life in the 2001 plane crash). I wonder if that will give her a leg up if she becomes a candidate.

PostPosted: 03/10/22 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sources are indicating that Molly Miller of Grand Canyon is a strong contender for Oklahoma State. That would be an interesting hire.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 03/10/22 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Sources are indicating that Molly Miller of Grand Canyon is a strong contender for Oklahoma State. That would be an interesting hire.

She's gonna get a shot somewhere in the near future and she might prove me wrong and dominate. Until then, I'm not impressed with her resume given who she's coached against to get the winning %.

PostPosted: 03/10/22 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

She's gonna get a shot somewhere in the near future and she might prove me wrong and dominate. Until then, I'm not impressed with her resume given who she's coached against to get the winning %.

It's not as if she has a team full of All-Americans and blowing out mid major teams, she is getting wins against some of the better midmajor teams around the nation with only 1 all-conference player.

Do you think she should be doing better than she is doing with the talent on her team?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/10/22 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not saying I necessarily feel this way or that I think okstateguy feels this way, but I think it's common – and valid/understandable – for others to think that even the best low-major head coaches aren't/shouldn't be qualified to jump all the way to a Power-5 head coaching job – that they should maybe have to prove themselves at a mid-major/Group of 5 head coaching job first. A quick counterexample of that would be Oregon State hiring Scott Rueck from D-III George Fox – though I'm sure success stories like that where such a monumental leap was made by Rueck are pretty darn rare in general.

Molly Miller could be a great hire for the Cowgirls, but it is also true that going from Grand Canyon to Oklahoma State as a wbb head coach would be its own sizable step up, even if it isn't nearly as BIG a leap as it'd be to go from D-III to the Power-5. She does seem to have a decent recruiting footprint in the midwest judging by her GCU roster, fwiw (though it doesn't seem to go south of Kansas or Missouri).

okstateguy

PostPosted: 03/11/22 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

It's not as if she has a team full of All-Americans and blowing out mid major teams, she is getting wins against some of the better midmajor teams around the nation with only 1 all-conference player.

Do you think she should be doing better than she is doing with the talent on her team?

In her 2 years at Grand Canyon, the team's Massey ratings were:
2021-22: 190 (SoS: 307)
2020-21: 198 (SoS: 307)

According to ncaa.com, her team's NET ranking for this year is 198.

She's yet to win the regular season conference championship(in a pretty weak conference outside of a few teams) or make an NCAA Tournament.

In no world does that resume qualify anyone for a P5 head coaching position. In my opinion, she needs to prove she can put her team atop the conference she is in and make multiple NCAA appearances before she should be considered for a P5 position. I would rather go with a P5 assistant who's never been a head coach, but has strong recruiting ties to P5 level talent than gamble on a potential second-coming of Julie Goodenough

PostPosted: 03/11/22 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Not saying I necessarily feel this way or that I think okstateguy feels this way, but I think it's common – and valid/understandable – for others to think that even the best low-major head coaches aren't/shouldn't be qualified to jump all the way to a Power-5 head coaching job – that they should maybe have to prove themselves at a mid-major/Group of 5 head coaching job first. A quick counterexample of that would be Oregon State hiring Scott Rueck from D-III George Fox – though I'm sure success stories like that where such a monumental leap was made by Rueck are pretty darn rare in general.

Molly Miller could be a great hire for the Cowgirls, but it is also true that going from Grand Canyon to Oklahoma State as a wbb head coach would be its own sizable step up, even if it isn't nearly as BIG a leap as it'd be to go from D-III to the Power-5. She does seem to have a decent recruiting footprint in the midwest judging by her GCU roster, fwiw (though it doesn't seem to go south of Kansas or Missouri).

This is pretty close to my sentiment. Thanks for wording it much better than myself

PostPosted: 03/11/22 2:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lindy LaRocque likely won't be staying at UNLV after their conference championship. I wouldn't be surprised if ASU came calling.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/11/22 5:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Lindy LaRocque likely won't be staying at UNLV after their conference championship. I wouldn't be surprised if ASU came calling.

I love this.

PostPosted: 03/11/22 10:18 am    ::: Re: Coaching Vacancies Wishlist Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if UVA would go after Agugua-Hamilton. In addition to her track record, she's a Va. native. I think Missouri State's AD will be challenged to keep her in Springfield.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/12/22 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:

I like Lindy, but....she has zero HEAD coaching experience, right? Shocked

PostPosted: 03/12/22 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
LitePal wrote:

I like Lindy, but....she has zero HEAD coaching experience, right? Shocked

Lindy has coached the last two years at UNLV, and produced a fairly excellent second season. It's probably too early for a move for the Nevada native, but in her young tenure so far, she's been excellent.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/13/22 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Lindy has coached the last two years at UNLV,....

Ahh, my goof. For some reason, I thought she was only in an assistant position there.

PostPosted: 03/13/22 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

This is pretty close to my sentiment. Thanks for wording it much better than myself

Grand Canyon did not look all that impressive to me in their tournament. Of course that's the only time I've seen them at all, since I don't get their games back here in the benighted (ha!) east. But they looked like a fairly ordinary mid-major to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: