RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021-22 Top 25 AP Poll Weekly Releases
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 11/15/21 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There tends to be a lot of inertia in the polls. Teams that have been good usually start high in the polls.

PostPosted: 11/15/21 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

may_b wrote:
Speaking of Kim Mulkey — albeit tangentially now —, (and I say this as someone in a Baylor family) Baylor has no business being ranked all the way up at 6.

They have no clue what they're doing right now. Their inefficient guards are taking a zillion shots and turning the ball over while their two best players hang out in the paint hoping someone notices. Probably inevitable, but disheartening.

I agree with this, but as a hypothetical voter I wouldn't move then much lower until they actually drop a game or two. Might not have to wait long as they play Maryland next weekend. Even then, Maryland is ranked higher so unless it's a blowout I can see it not affecting Baylor's ranking too much.

PostPosted: 11/18/21 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The AP poll was updated for week 2, but not the coaches (USA TODAY/WBCA) poll - anyone hear any news on when it will update?

https://wbca.org/recognize/polls/ncaa-division-i-coaches

undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/18/21 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:
The AP poll was updated for week 2, but not the coaches (USA TODAY/WBCA) poll - anyone hear any news on when it will update?

https://wbca.org/recognize/polls/ncaa-division-i-coaches

In 2019, preseason WBCA rankings were released October 31 and not updated until November 19.

PostPosted: 11/19/21 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Huh....Thanks much.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/21/21 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1-vs-2 matchup delays AP women’s basketball poll a day

https://apnews.com/article/sports-basketball-college-basketball-womens-college-basketball-womens-basketball-2877c298d5a929f3c129ce465a394ee5

Quote:
The AP decided to hold the poll one day so it will reflect the outcome – only the second time since the poll began in 1976 that it has been delayed.

PostPosted: 11/21/21 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

https://apnews.com/article/sports-basketball-college-basketball-womens-college-basketball-womens-basketball-2877c298d5a929f3c129ce465a394ee5

Quote:
The AP decided to hold the poll one day so it will reflect the outcome – only the second time since the poll began in 1976 that it has been delayed.

Was the first time a similar scenario? (...cuz I KNOW you know! )

Hey, I say it's the right thing to do. Cool

PostPosted: 11/21/21 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

The answer is in the fourth paragraph of the article.
Howee

PostPosted: 11/21/21 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

You mean....we're s'posta READ the articles linked?? Shocked Razz

PostPosted: 11/21/21 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

duplicate .... NM

PostPosted: 11/21/21 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Yes. The pull quote is supposed to make you want to read more.

PostPosted: 11/21/21 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

C'mon, man, this isn't even a paywalled article.

But, yes, it was an extremely similar situation- possibly one of the biggest pivot points in modern WCBB history.

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 11/22/21 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will UConn drop? If so, how far? Will South Carolina be unanimous?

PostPosted: 11/22/21 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Will UConn drop? If so, how far?

I believe they should drop to #11 - having lost by DOUBLE DIGITS, and Paige not scoring at least 20 pts merits that precipitous a drop. Of course, I have a different standards than most. Razz
I say they'll really go to #3. Maryland's win over Baylor has to be deserving of a slight bump up, no?

pilight wrote:
Will South Carolina be unanimous?

No. The sportswriters will still find at least 1 vote for UConn. Cuz it's the only name they know.

PostPosted: 11/23/21 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll

South Carolina unanimous at #1

Maryland up to #2

Tennessee up to #11

Oregon down to #15

Florida Gulf Coast in
Georgia Tech out

PostPosted: 11/23/21 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll

South Carolina unanimous at #1

Maryland up to #2

Tennessee up to #11

Oregon down to #15

Florida Gulf Coast in
Georgia Tech out

Its the Kiersten Bell affect , hopefully i start seeing her on Mock Drafts seeing as though she's eligible !

PostPosted: 11/23/21 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Coaches poll is out also!

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/23/21 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:
The Coaches poll is out also!

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

Exactly why these polls are just ridiculous and infuriating. There is absolutely no way someone can justify voting for Stanford as the #1 team in the nation. Not only do they not have a win even close to what South Carolina has, but they have a loss on their resume to Texas.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/29/21 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=4

Receiving Votes:
West Virginia 46 (dropped out), Virginia Tech 37 (dropped out), Colorado 30, UCLA 29 (dropped out), Georgia Tech 21, Duke 15, Arkansas 11, Gonzaga 7, North Carolina 2, DePaul 2, Washington State 2, Missouri State 1, Purdue 1, Oklahoma 1

Last edited by undersized_post on 11/29/21 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 11/29/21 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BYU is #21

PostPosted: 11/29/21 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
BYU is #21

Thank you! They are missing from the source I copied from but I did not notice. I was just scanning and thinking to myself -- how can they beat two top-25 teams and not even receive a single vote? Laughing

Unsolicited ramblings:

I'm surprised that NC State and UConn are tied for #2 because I expected UConn to be #2 outright. Because.. UConn. However, at this point in the season, NC State does have a bit better resume than UConn -- so I have NC State as the outright #2 in my own personal listing.

Is it fair to say that Stanford was rewarded more for their wins over Indiana and a depleted Maryland than USF was for their wins over Stanford. Similarly, Texas was punished for their loss to Tennessee, but Tennessee wasn't rewarded for their win over Texas.

Arizona is lucky to have moved up two spots to #7 after nearly losing to both Vanderbilt and DePaul.

I know that any attempt to base rankings solely on H2H matchups will contradict itself before you even get off the ground... but even so, it's weird seeing Baylor at #5 when a semi-depleted Maryland (no Benzan, Miller only playing 11 min) beat them. I know Maryland got crushed twice this week, but what has Baylor done besides...

Not that I thought Iowa would be penalized for missing games, I did expect other teams who had good wins this week to leap frog them, like Tennessee, USF, or Michigan.

Glad to see Georgia finally be ranked... not sure why they haven't been all this time given their performance last year.

Notre Dame should be flip-flopped with Oregon State. Given their otherwise very similar resumes (each have one close-ish loss to a higher ranked team), why not respect the outcome of their H2H match-up?

Most importantly... wtf is FSU still top-25? Laughing

Last edited by undersized_post on 11/29/21 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/29/21 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Is it fair to say that Stanford was rewarded more for their wins over Indiana and a depleted Maryland than USF was for their wins over Stanford. Similarly, Texas was punished for their loss to Tennessee, but Tennessee wasn't rewarded for their win over Texas.

Not much love here for Tennessee. Never mind that they beat both of the teams that beat Stanford. They've got a better record than Louisville, have played a tougher schedule than Louisville, and have 2 wins against ranked opponents while Louisville lost their only game against a ranked team.

Then there's Iowa. Tenn has a better record and has played a tougher schedule. Iowa hasn't even played a ranked team yet.

Or Indiana. Tenn has a better record and has played an equivalent or better schedule.

Or Baylor. Tenn has a better record, and Baylor lost to their only ranked opponent.

Maybe the problem is that Tenn hasn't looked terribly stylish getting those wins. IDK. By my count, they should be ranked around #7-8.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/29/21 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Not much love here for Tennessee. Never mind that they beat both of the teams that beat Stanford. They've got a better record than Louisville, have played a tougher schedule than Louisville, and have 2 wins against ranked opponents while Louisville lost their only game against a ranked team.

Then there's Iowa. Tenn has a better record and has played a tougher schedule. Iowa hasn't even played a ranked team yet.

Or Indiana. Tenn has a better record and has played an equivalent or better schedule.

Or Baylor. Tenn has a better record, and Baylor lost to their only ranked opponent.

Maybe the problem is that Tenn hasn't looked terribly stylish getting those wins. IDK. By my count, they should be ranked around #7-8.

You alluded to it at the end, but Tennessee so far this year reminds me of Texas A&M last year. Results: good. Eye test: eh. And part of it, I think, is that there is some whiplash effect in the minds of voters who wrote them off after Burrell was injured, which is not fair.

I'm not sure if you're coming at me specifically, but for the record, I did say I was surprised Tenn, USF, and Michigan didn't leapfrog Iowa. And I did say that I thought Tenn should have been rewarded for beating Texas.

Re: Baylor and Iowa. Yes they don't have any good wins so far, but they won't drop more than a spot or two until they have a bad loss. That's just how it works, even if not fair.

Re: Indiana. They looked incredible against Kentucky and only lost by 3 to Stanford, whom they could have taken to OT with better FT shooting. But they've played surprisingly poor against weak opponents. But for me this is better than Tennessee, at this point.

Re: the triangle of Tennessee having beaten USF having beaten Stanford. I think the chronology of these games unjustly influenced outside perception. Tenn's narrow victory over USF came first, and the discourse was, "Wow Tenn should have won this game more easily." Then when USF beat Stanford a week later, people realized, "Wow USF is legit." But voters didn't retrospectively ascribe more credit to Tenn for their win.

At any rate, Tenn is acquiring a very good non-conference resume for which they will likely be more rewarded by the NCAA tournament seeding committee than they will be by the AP voters.

PostPosted: 11/29/21 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you think Tennessee's getting disrespected let's talk about Nebraska for a minute. 7-0 and 4th in the nation in scoring average at 35 points per game and not getting a SINGLE vote. No, they haven't beaten a Top 25 team, but neither have most teams. I don't know if it's disrespect or negligence on part of the voting panel, but it's pretty shameful.

PostPosted: 11/29/21 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do the voters actually look at the RPI, SOS, NET, etc? Nebraska's are well outside the top 25.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: