RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021-22 Top 25 AP Poll Weekly Releases
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 12/29/21 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:
I doubt many voters would stipulate to Mohegan being a neutral court. ...

So any arena that holds a conference tournament should be listed as a home court for all teams in all conferences? Othe than the BET UConn has played one game a year, The Hall of Fame Classic that used to be played in Springfield.

Any arena less than 30 miles from campus can't reasonably considered "neutral"

Compromise position: The arena is neutral but the attending fans aren't.

Exactly. And aren't the complaints really about attendance and not experience on the court with sight lines that are familiar which is the real advantage for the home team.

Maybe the NCAA should write a new "UConn addendum" that tickets for UConn fans should be limited to no more than the other team's fans buy. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/30/21 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:

So any arena that holds a conference tournament should be listed as a home court for all teams in all conferences? Othe than the BET UConn has played one game a year, The Hall of Fame Classic that used to be played in Springfield.

Exactly. And aren't the complaints really about attendance and not experience on the court with sight lines that are familiar which is the real advantage for the home team.

Maybe the NCAA should write a new "UConn addendum" that tickets for UConn fans should be limited to no more than the other team's fans buy. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Very Happy

WHat makes this a "compromise"? I thought it was the attending fans - or the % of the fanbase that favors one team over another - that makes any arena or venue a "Home", "Away", or "Neutral" venue. Also, how often does Connecticut play regular-season games in Mohegan Sun, compared to all other Big East member programs?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/30/21 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:

Maybe the NCAA should write a new "UConn addendum" that tickets for UConn fans should be limited to no more than the other team's fans buy. :roll: :roll: :roll: :D

WHat makes this a "compromise"? I thought it was the attending fans - or the % of the fanbase that favors one team over another - that makes any arena or venue a "Home", "Away", or "Neutral" venue. Also, how often does Connecticut play regular-season games in Mohegan Sun, compared to all other Big East member programs?

A "neutral site" is defined by examples in the NCAA Statistics--Policies and Guidelines manual (pp. 9-11). While some of the examples may be overlapping and unclear in some situations, the most relevant example pertaining to the Louisville vs. UConn game seems to be the one that says "the contest is considered a neutral-site contest for both teams if the site: . . . . Is a venue other than Team A’s and Team B’s home venue and is hosted and organized by a third party."

The UConn-Louisville game on November 19 was part of a four team tournament called the Basketball Hall of Fame Women’s Showcase, which was organized by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and hosted by the Mohegan Sun Arena, which are both third parties, and the arena is not the home venue of any of the four teams. So, for purposes of RPI/NET and other NCAA statistics, the Mohegan Sun Arena is presumably considered a neutral site for all four teams who played games in that particular tournament.
pilight

PostPosted: 12/31/21 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Next week's poll should be interesting. How far will South Carolina drop? Will Stanford be #1?

PostPosted: 12/31/21 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

A "neutral site" is defined by examples in the NCAA Statistics--Policies and Guidelines manual (pp. 9-11). While some of the examples may be overlapping and unclear in some situations, the most relevant example pertaining to the Louisville vs. UConn game seems to be the one that says "the contest is considered a neutral-site contest for both teams if the site: . . . . Is a venue other than Team A’s and Team B’s home venue and is hosted and organized by a third party."

So basically the NCAA's policies defy common sense but are totally self-serving in that they provide them the justification for assigning NCAA tournament teams to arenas in their own backyards, thus generating ticket sales at the expense of competition and equity. Why am I not surprised the NCAA would adopt such a viewpoint?

So I wonder whether in setting point spreads Las Vegas treats UConn games in Bridgeport or Mohegan Sun as neutral or shifts the spread for home court? I don't know the answer to that.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/31/21 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

So basically the NCAA's policies defy common sense but are totally self-serving in that they provide them the justification for assigning NCAA tournament teams to arenas in their own backyards, thus generating ticket sales at the expense of competition and equity. Why am I not surprised the NCAA would adopt such a viewpoint?

So I wonder whether in setting point spreads Las Vegas treats UConn games in Bridgeport or Mohegan Sun as neutral or shifts the spread for home court? I don't know the answer to that.

I remember how you bemoaned both the NCAA and Notre Dame's lack of character when they jumped on a chance to host a regional several years ago when Geno loudly criticized the policy and refused to participate. That was also done to promote attendence.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/01/22 2:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I remember how you bemoaned both the NCAA and Notre Dame's lack of character when they jumped on a chance to host a regional several years ago when Geno loudly criticized the policy and refused to participate. That was also done to promote attendence.

Yeah, Geno never needed the hassle of hosting because he knew the committee would arrange a home regional for him anyhow. NO team has benefited more from this corruption than UConn and Don Geno.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/03/22 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=9

South Carolina still #1

Indiana up to #6

LSU up to #13

Baylor down to #14

Oklahoma in
Ohio State out

PostPosted: 01/03/22 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see UConn remains in the top 11. Interesting, as they're the ONLY team in the Top 25 to have lost 33% of their games this season. (when did THAT last happen? Shocked ) Only KY and IA come close to that, but they're in the 20s, and they dropped 1 space each.

PostPosted: 01/03/22 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I see UConn remains in the top 11. Interesting, as they're the ONLY team in the Top 25 to have lost 33% of their games this season. (when did THAT last happen? Shocked ) Only KY and IA come close to that, but they're in the 20s, and they dropped 1 space each.

Quick, nobody tell Howee about Stanford losing 25% of their games this year.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/03/22 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Howee wrote:

Quick, nobody tell Howee about Stanford losing 25% of their games this year.

Not GOOD but....still not 33%. Shocked

PostPosted: 01/03/22 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford Wins
Morgan State
Portland
Gonzaga (barely)
Indiana (barely)
Maryland
Pacific
UC Davis
Tennessee
Washington State

Stanford losses
South Florida
Texas
South Carolina

Connecticut wins
Arkansas
Minnesota
South Florida
Seton Hall
Notre Dame
UCLA

Connecticut losses
South Carolina
Georgia Tech
Louisville

Games missed due to covid cancellations/postponements
Stanford 1: Washington
Connecticut 2: Marquette, DePaul, Georgetown (on 1/05)

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Howee

PostPosted: 01/05/22 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just noticed today something that might/oughtta be a piece of wbb history:

Kim Mulkey, coach of a highly ranked EE team last year (Baylor), takes over a far lower caliber team (Louisiana State) and in way less than a year, overtakes Baylor in the AP rankings. Unprecedented? Shocked

PostPosted: 01/10/22 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=10

South Carolina still #1

NC State up to #4

Iowa State up to #9

Texas down to #13

Colorado and Kansas State in
Iowa and Texas A&M out

PostPosted: 01/10/22 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wrong thread!

Coyotes

PostPosted: 01/10/22 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
wrong thread!

Always sniffing about in the wrong thread. Tsk.

I think the poll is about what I expected with no real surprises.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/10/22 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s interesting from a B1G view that Iowa’s loss to Northwestern and win over Nebraska hurt more than Michigan’s loss to Nebraska and win over Rutgers.

Poor Nebraska fans who’ve been rooting for a top-25 spot are disappointed yet again.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/10/22 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
It’s interesting from a B1G view that Iowa’s loss to Northwestern and win over Nebraska hurt more than Michigan’s loss to Nebraska and win over Rutgers.

When you break it down like that, it makes no sense. But then again, we are talking about the polls so par for the course.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 01/10/22 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

When you break it down like that, it makes no sense. But then again, we are talking about the polls so par for the course.

As an Iowa fan, I'm not afraid to admit that Iowa has been on borrowed time ever since the fourth quarter meltdown vs IUPUI. Laughing One unranked loss is one thing, but two is another thing entirely. I'd really really like to see us avenge that NW loss later this month.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/11/22 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey Conway, since it's you that started this thread, you are the only one who can change the header. Now that we are well into the season, do you think you might change it? TYSM

PostPosted: 01/17/22 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=11

South Carolina still #1

Iowa State up to #7

Oklahoma up to #14

Duke down to #21

Florida Gulf Coast and Iowa in
South Florida and Kansas State out

PostPosted: 01/17/22 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Oklahoma up to #14

I can't remember the last time Oklahoma was ranked above Baylor AND Texas.... (and still wasn't in first place in the Big 12) Shocked

I think Jenny B. oughtta be a front-runner for COY.

Last edited by Howee on 01/17/22 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 01/17/22 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I can't remember the last time Oklahoma was ranked above Baylor AND Texas.... Shocked

Pretty sure it was the final poll of 2008-09 when the Sooners were #4, Baylor was #5, and Texas was #25

PostPosted: 01/17/22 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
I can't remember the last time Oklahoma was ranked above Baylor AND Texas.... Shocked

Pretty sure it was the final poll of 2008-09 when the Sooners were #4, Baylor was #5, and Texas was #25

That sounds 'bout right....the Paris years.

PostPosted: 01/17/22 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oklahoma got a lot more consideration for beating Baylor than Oregon did for beating Arizona.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: