Player Behavior
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/20/21 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
pasteurize wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
You.ve never been "zoned in" on something or been "unconscious" about something or had "tunnel vision" to the point that you might do something and not even realized that you did it or to whom you did it or to what extent?

The world would be a terrifying place if we were all cool with what you just described here.

What a stunning overreaction to what Ex-Ref wrote.

Yes, thank you for bringing some common sense to this.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 10/20/21 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Didnt the Sky just bring that broken door to their championsparade as their special guest Shocked Laughing i dont see a lot of whining on that unsportmanslike behaviour Rolling Eyes

They didnt talk to the media so they got fined. Taurasi broke a door in maybe her last championship series and she got fined. Mercury and Taurasi deserved the fine. Its over and done with.

NBA players kick hit break chairs almost every week. They get fined and thats the end of it. Why isnt it the same for women?

Wait...People got to make up their minds. Folks here said the door was no big deal before the rally. Even got a few jokes off... But, now that the Sky has joined in to make light of the situation, it's unsportmanlike? C'mon y'all. Laughing

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/20/21 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Your honor:
I was "zoned in" on getting to the shopping mall and had "tunnel vision" which is the reason I didn't see the pedestrian in the crosswalk and hit her going 40 miles an hour.

Sorry this just doesn't cut it. The result is what matters. And anyway it's very, very hard to believe DT didn't know it was a referee no matter how zoned in she might have been.

Bottomline: If the W doesn't want to enforce this rule, they should just remove it or state a variety of possible penalties that they can subjectively apply depending on the situation...which is effectively what they did. Otherwise I can see lots of increased contact, and the players can just plead the Taurasi rule.

And why on Earth would she want to push a ref? In the playoffs? Knowing the penalty for doing so intentionally is a suspension? Makes no fucking sense at all!! None.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/20/21 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="myrtle"]Your honor:
I was "zoned in" on getting to the shopping mall and had "tunnel vision" which is the reason I didn't see the pedestrian in the crosswalk and hit her going 40 miles an hour.

Sorry this just doesn't cut it. The result is what matters. And anyway it's very, very hard to believe DT didn't know it was a referee no matter how zoned in she might have been.

Bottomline: If the W doesn't want to enforce this rule, they should just remove it or state a variety of possible penalties that they can subjectively apply depending on the situation...which is effectively what they did. Otherwise I can see lots of increased contact, and the players can just plead the Taurasi rule.[/quote]

Really? Rolling Eyes

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 10/20/21 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
I just don't like players that act like assholes *shrug*

Does this include Sky players who have acted like assholes since they won or just Diana?

Lexi Brown played in that series for an entire 17:25 of that series....and 10:55 was in the game 3 blowout.....yet she puts up the picture of Copper and Sophie-from a game she wasn't even good enough to check into.

What's really surprised me is all the young, blue checkmark "media" people on twitter who think the Chicago Sky and hyping up this door thing is the greatest thing in the entire universe. It really shows a level of immaturity by the organization and the people who support it.

Who are you talking about? I've seen nothing but a bunch of happy players. I need details.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 10/21/21 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taurasi acts as if she's playing in the most poorly officiated game in the history of basketball every single night like no other basketball player I know. It's over the top and she never gives it a rest.

Tally24

PostPosted: 10/21/21 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Copper is selling a shirt with the image of her staring down Cunningham from game 2. Personally, I think it’s kind of funny. However, if we are going to discuss “player behavior,” that is far from being a “good sport” or a “class act”. 🙄
PicknLOL

PostPosted: 10/21/21 3:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Again I'll ask, why isn't anybody crying about a suspension when she made contact with the ref in game 4? My guess is that very few people noticed it.

I definitely remember someone mentioning she ought to be careful when she did that. Whether it was the announcers or someone in a thread here, sorry, I was zoned in to the point that I don't know what I was listening or reading or imagining.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/21/21 5:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PicknLOL wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Again I'll ask, why isn't anybody crying about a suspension when she made contact with the ref in game 4? My guess is that very few people noticed it.

I definitely remember someone mentioning she ought to be careful when she did that. Whether it was the announcers or someone in a thread here, sorry, I was zoned in to the point that I don't know what I was listening or reading or imagining.

What you're saying is that you were GOAT-level zoned in.

PostPosted: 10/21/21 5:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
PicknLOL wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Indubitably.

mercfan

PostPosted: 10/21/21 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Copper is selling a shirt with the image of her staring down Cunningham from game 2. Personally, I think it’s kind of funny. However, if we are going to discuss “player behavior,” that is far from being a “good sport” or a “class act”. 🙄

Especially considering she lost that battle. She should not be proud of that moment.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/21/21 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
PicknLOL wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Very Happy

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/21/21 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PicknLOL wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

The only thing that I remember being mentioned is when she fist-bumped the ref at the beginning of the game. It was mentioned in the game thread.

I'm talking about another time that she made contact with the ref.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/21/21 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Your honor:

Bottomline: If the W doesn't want to enforce this rule, they should just remove it or state a variety of possible penalties that they can subjectively apply depending on the situation...which is effectively what they did. Otherwise I can see lots of increased contact, and the players can just plead the Taurasi rule.

Couldn't agree more: the parallel logic is spot on. Cool

Ex-Ref wrote:
And why on Earth would she want to push a ref?

For the same reason 80% of the players might wanna push a ref: they're frustrated, in the heat of the battle, already pushing and being pushed by other players, lesser abilities in controlling impulsive behavior....LOTS o' reasons. But: those 80% are generally NOT inclined to do so, cuz of the penalties. Those that do might see themselves as 'bad girls' (*) that don't need to adhere to the same standards as everybody else.

Ex-Ref wrote:
In the playoffs? Knowing the penalty for doing so intentionally is a suspension? Makes no fucking sense at all!! None.

Ummm....it might if, say....DT realized that her suspension might give a more palatable excuse for losing than just admitting that they got outplayed. Or....DT was hurting enough to wanna get out of the game, and didn't wanna just sit without a proper excuse. Prolly NOT the case here, but....it's not all that far fetched.

*What other stars (or regulars) have become known for this? Griner? Bird? Delle Donne? Leslie? Augustus? Charles? Whalen? Ogwumike?

Nope. The list is short.

What makes "no fucking sense" to me is how people will go to the mat in her defense -- even a GOAT can be flawed. But....that's what makes 'fandom' so much fun! Razz

PostPosted: 10/22/21 5:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Didnt the Sky just bring that broken door to their championsparade as their special guest Shocked Laughing i dont see a lot of whining on that unsportmanslike behaviour Rolling Eyes

They didnt talk to the media so they got fined. Taurasi broke a door in maybe her last championship series and she got fined. Mercury and Taurasi deserved the fine. Its over and done with.

NBA players kick hit break chairs almost every week. They get fined and thats the end of it. Why isnt it the same for women?

Wait...People got to make up their minds. Folks here said the door was no big deal before the rally. Even got a few jokes off... But, now that the Sky has joined in to make light of the situation, it's unsportmanlike? C'mon y'all. Laughing

Its childish and combine that with tweeting pictures of Copper standing over Cunningham after she grabbed her by the neck on that play, its unsportsmanlike.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/22/21 6:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I for one wanna go on record as saying I love for this. I love Dirty Diana. I also love Chicago being petty and taking the piss. This makes sports fun and something the W has always needed. I don't think any of this makes either party look bad or unprofessional. It makes them look like intriguing figures in the sport.

Who doesn't wanna see the next game between Cunningham and Copper? Who isn't intrigued by the rematch of Chi and PHX next season?

Grab the popcorn and get off the high horse!

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/22/21 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The real issue here isn't DT's behavior, the issue is the arbitrary way the WNBA enforces (or not) their own rules. Either rewrite the rule, or enforce it. Don't ignore it whenever you feel like it.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/22/21 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Who doesn't wanna see the next game between Cunningham and Copper? Who isn't intrigued by the rematch of Chi and PHX next season?

There's a fair chance that neither of those players will be on the same team next year

PostPosted: 10/22/21 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

You sure you're wanting basketball or WWE? Shocked Very Happy
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/23/21 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

LOL, hyperetic. If you're on "the high horse," I'm with you. Smile

PostPosted: 10/23/21 1:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

😊 Just saying, I don't mind competitiveness and aggressive play. I don't want fights and dirty play. Even hockey finally realized it was a bad thing.
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/23/21 2:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
😊 Just saying, I don't mind competitiveness and aggressive play. I don't want fights and dirty play. Even hockey finally realized it was a bad thing.

I was a hockey fan decades ago and stopped watching because the NHL game changed. The focus was no longer on the elegance of skating, stickhandling, and scoring; it was on the thugs on the ice and fans getting more excited about the thugs than anything else.

Totally with you in what you've written just above.

PostPosted: 10/23/21 6:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Did anyone fight?

That's my whole point. y'all are blowing ball of this out proportion. Two players got heated over what ultimately wasn't really a dirty play. Diana didn't punch a ref in the stomach and spit in her face. Everything that happened in that sequence was ultimately irrelevant in the series but here we are, toiling over it well after the trophy was hoisted. It's a bit ridiculous.

No one is advocating for fighting. I'm advocating that we let these players play and stop being hall monitors.

tfan

PostPosted: 10/23/21 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

There's a fair chance that neither of those players will be on the same team next year

Cunningham didn't have her fourth year picked up or something (she says she'd like to stay in Phoenix nonetheless), but why won't Copper be back?

Shades

PostPosted: 10/23/21 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
pilight wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Cunningham didn't have her fourth year picked up or something (she says she'd like to stay in Phoenix nonetheless), but why won't Copper be back?

She’d like to stay if nobody else pays her more than they do. Is that what you’re trying to say?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: