RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Player Behavior
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/19/21 9:32 am    ::: Player Behavior Reply Reply with quote

I looked for a thread about this but couldn't find one. Thoughts?

Quote:
A fine, a broken door, and a bailout on talking to the media is a bad look for a player whom fans just named the greatest player in the league’s history. And no matter how you feel about Taurasi and her antics — or her play — the league has to address it. It’s another example of “player behavior” that’s been hanging over the W after footage was released of Atlanta Dream players getting into a fight earlier this year.

https://deadspin.com/the-wnba-just-finished-a-legendary-season-now-they-ha-1847885721
mercfan

PostPosted: 10/19/21 10:35 am    ::: Re: Player Behavior Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
I looked for a thread about this but couldn't find one. Thoughts?

Quote:
A fine, a broken door, and a bailout on talking to the media is a bad look for a player whom fans just named the greatest player in the league’s history. And no matter how you feel about Taurasi and her antics — or her play — the league has to address it. It’s another example of “player behavior” that’s been hanging over the W after footage was released of Atlanta Dream players getting into a fight earlier this year.

https://deadspin.com/the-wnba-just-finished-a-legendary-season-now-they-ha-1847885721

There isn't really much to address on the Taurasi situation. She broke a door? ok lol. I am sure Phoenix will pay for it to be replaced.

This type of stuff just reeks of misogyny. God forbid women play without being nice to one another. I know the article tackles this but where I disagree is that the league has anything to address about the Mercury. It's the finals. It's passion. These have been super minor issues that are only even becoming notable because people are LOOKING to destroy someone's character.

The Phoenix Mercury and Atlanta Dream situation shouldn't even be in the same headline.

EDIT: The worst thing of all is that the people degrading Taurasi's character are not NBA fans, they are not men's sports fans, they are not people who hate women's sports, they are other people who cover and watch the WNBA.

Last edited by mercfan on 10/19/21 10:42 am; edited 3 times in total
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/19/21 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm with the writer of this piece. Not talking to the media after a painful loss? Breaking a door? All this is SO trivial compared to the "player behavior" issues of men's sports.

In my view, there's an implicit--and sometimes unconscious--sexist double standard being applied here. These outstanding, outspoken athletes from the WNBA are held to a code of "proper conduct" that would be laughable for the NBA, the NFL, or MLB.

PostPosted: 10/19/21 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't care about players skipping media. The door thing is a bad look, but it's pretty minor.

The fight is worse, but the Dream's poor response when it happened is a bigger issue than the fight itself. If the players involved had been fined/suspended at the time it would be forgotten by now.

PostPosted: 10/19/21 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Honestly, I don't care about players skipping media. The door thing is a bad look, but it's pretty minor.

The fight is worse, but the Dream's poor response when it happened is a bigger issue than the fight itself. If the players involved had been fined/suspended at the time it would be forgotten by now.

Whose decision was it to sweep it under the rug?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PicknLOL

PostPosted: 10/19/21 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The behaviour of players is tragic. They should occasionally earn at least some flagrant 2s like NBA players do if they wish to be taken seriously.

Er, I mean flagrants 2.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/19/21 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

I don't know. I doubt that would have happened if Kelly Loeffler was still in charge.

PostPosted: 10/19/21 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I personally don't have a problem with the frustration/passion that broke the door. The ref thing, I believe there is a limit, a line not to be crossed. Putting your hands on someone is a step too far. The ATL thing, yeah, that's not cool unless it was a matter of self-defense. I have no qualms with self-defense. If it was not about defense from an unprovoked attack, then I think there is an issue.

Some might say the team doesn't have the right to rule over the players 24/7. Yeah to an extent. But once they sign on the dotted line, they represent the team officially and unofficially 24/7 because whatever they do, whenever they do it will reflect back on the team. At least a certain amount of decorum is not out of the question to be expected. Security would be nice but that's a budget thing.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/19/21 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

I don't know. I doubt that would have happened if Kelly Loeffler was still in charge.

That's... certainly a way to look at it.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
UK1996

PostPosted: 10/19/21 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I personally think it’s a bad look. I’d say the same with an NBA team. Losses suck, but your average person experiences their own sort of losses in the work place and has to continue their duties. For example, I was trying to get something for my department, worked very hard, made a presentation for why it would be a good investment, did all my research, etc. I was very passionate about this upgrade. My boss decided to invest in other parts of my work place. I couldn’t break a door and pout, I had to fulfill my other work duties after that meeting. At the end of the day getting to play a sport for a living is a privilege. A ton of people would love to have the opportunity to be in their shoes. The fine was appropriate.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/19/21 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just don't like players that act like assholes *shrug*

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/19/21 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Why should we be surprised? Riquna Williams threatened to kill someone with a gun, and she was given a new contract by her team while the league wasn't especially pro-active in her case either.

Tally24

PostPosted: 10/19/21 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
I personally think it’s a bad look. I’d say the same with an NBA team. Losses suck, but your average person experiences their own sort of losses in the work place and has to continue their duties. For example, I was trying to get something for my department, worked very hard, made a presentation for why it would be a good investment, did all my research, etc. I was very passionate about this upgrade. My boss decided to invest in other parts of my work place. I couldn’t break a door and pout, I had to fulfill my other work duties after that meeting. At the end of the day getting to play a sport for a living is a privilege. A ton of people would love to have the opportunity to be in their shoes. The fine was appropriate.

I dunno…I couldn’t imagine doing my job every single day on a stage like that. I think I would go insane if a commentator watched me teach in a college classroom and analyzed everything I did. I don’t even like when my department head comes to observe. Laughing
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 10/19/21 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

X____________________________

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 10/19/21 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m confused who are the assholes, if we want to get real? The Sky players ripping on Parker for sitting out with what they called a an ankle sprain that needed a week, the coach throwing tantrums sideline constantly, berating refs, treating a teenager like she’s nothing sending her home from the airport and saying she wasn’t ready 🤷‍♀️Player trying to intimidate another player on the ground which caused the bump from DT trying to get to her teammate and she never whined just took the fine unlike the whole poor Astou Thing doing the same thing, then the fans wearing a Tshirt displaying a player intimidating another player on the ground, the fans and Sky personnel posting stuff to rub in their win, hmm kinda unsportsmanlike don’t ya think, but hey go after 1 player because you simply don’t like her and don’t have perspective on the whole picture Laughing

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/19/21 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
I dunno…I couldn’t imagine doing my job every single day on a stage like that. I think I would go insane if a commentator watched me teach in a college classroom and analyzed everything I did. I don’t even like when my department head comes to observe. Laughing

Thank you. I have two friends very much in the public eye (one an actor about to be in a big film, one a former track star) and I used to write celebrity interviews and profiles for newspapers. For me, comparisons between the lives of star basketball players and people working in an office are way beyond irrelevant.

PostPosted: 10/19/21 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
I’m confused who are the assholes, if we want to get real? The Sky players ripping on Parker for sitting out with what they called a an ankle sprain that needed a week, the coach throwing tantrums sideline constantly, berating refs, treating a teenager like she’s nothing sending her home from the airport and saying she wasn’t ready 🤷‍♀️Player trying to intimidate another player on the ground which caused the bump from DT trying to get to her teammate and she never whined just took the fine unlike the whole poor Astou Thing doing the same thing, then the fans wearing a Tshirt displaying a player intimidating another player on the ground, the fans and Sky personnel posting stuff to rub in their win, hmm kinda unsportsmanlike don’t ya think, but hey go after 1 player because you simply don’t like her and don’t have perspective on the whole picture Laughing

+1

bryan_february_

PostPosted: 10/19/21 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
The ref thing, I believe there is a limit, a line not to be crossed. Putting your hands on someone is a step too far.

It was, and now that the Finals are over (and people stop complaining about how Sky fans only wanted to get Diana suspended to gain an advantage), maybe we can have a real discussion about it.

It was disappointing the way the league handled it. To not only acknowledge it, but to go against your own rulebook and issue her that petty fine was bush league.

WNBA needs to do better. I hate to bring up the NBA here, but if a player there put hands on a ref.. doesn't matter if it was LeBron in the Finals, they are getting punished swiftly and harshly because it's utterly unacceptable behavior.

PostPosted: 10/19/21 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bryan_february_ wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
The ref thing, I believe there is a limit, a line not to be crossed. Putting your hands on someone is a step too far.

It was, and now that the Finals are over (and people stop complaining about how Sky fans only wanted to get Diana suspended to gain an advantage), maybe we can have a real discussion about it.

It was disappointing the way the league handled it. To not only acknowledge it, but to go against your own rulebook and issue her that petty fine was bush league.

WNBA needs to do better. I hate to bring up the NBA here, but if a player there put hands on a ref.. doesn't matter if it was LeBron in the Finals, they are getting punished swiftly and harshly because it's utterly unacceptable behavior.

Do you want this addressed to just Taurasi or both Sloot and Taurasi, because Sloot pushed the refs arms out of the way to get to her teammate too?

We all know Diana had no intention of hurting that ref (and she didn’t), and was concerned about her teammate, as was Sloot.

And no..if a ref was touched in a scuffle by Lebron - who was just going to his teammate., he wouldn’t be punished.

And yes, there is a misogynist tone to this. And there is an anti-Diana element to it as well. All players have their unlikeable traits, but people have gotten carried away with the character assassination. And it’s a real shame because she’s only got a few years left (if that), appreciate her while she’s around..

The fight..I agree, it was a weirder response by the front office - but I gotta say..again, sports teams tend to look at this situation, suspend a player for a few games, and move on. It again reeks of “this is a bigger problem than it needs to be because they are women.”

PostPosted: 10/19/21 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
bryan_february_ wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

Do you want this addressed to just Taurasi or both Sloot and Taurasi, because Sloot pushed the refs arms out of the way to get to her teammate too?

We all know Diana had no intention of hurting that ref (and she didn’t), and was concerned about her teammate, as was Sloot.

And no..if a ref was touched in a scuffle by Lebron - who was just going to his teammate., he wouldn’t be punished.

And yes, there is a misogynist tone to this. And there is an anti-Diana element to it as well. All players have their unlikeable traits, but people have gotten carried away with the character assassination. And it’s a real shame because she’s only got a few years left (if that), appreciate her while she’s around..

The fight..I agree, it was a weirder response by the front office - but I gotta say..again, sports teams tend to look at this situation, suspend a player for a few games, and move on. It again reeks of “this is a bigger problem than it needs to be because they are women.”

It is funny how out of context this whole thing got.

No one can objectively watch the video replay and think that Taurasi had ANY intention of going after the referee maliciously. If I randomly hear that a player “pushed a referee” what immediately comes to my mind is not what Taurasi actually did.

It’s just weird. And it wouldn’t even have been discussed if it were Parker, Vandersloot or Copper.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 10/19/21 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’d agree with those who say that a broken door and a skipped press conference are rather minor compared to bad behavior that tends to be accepted in men’s sports. That said, letting your coach speak on behalf of your entire team after a playoff-ending loss isn’t something I’d be happy about if I was the coach. And I’d be equally disappointed with men’s or women’s players in that scenario.

But there’s one area I think Taurasi crosses the line. The endless belittling/profanity/disrespect/lack of regard for personal space, etc. with the refs. I admittedly do not watch much NBA. But I did watch about 30 games last year. I know there’s a few nba players who are high in Ts. Draymond Green comes to mind. In the games I watched last year nobody came close to the lack of control on the court that Taurasi displays when she’s angry. I can’t think of a player in a team sport who I’ve ever seen behave with less respect for officials.

And…she gets an awful lot of calls.

PostPosted: 10/19/21 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Why should we be surprised? Riquna Williams threatened to kill someone with a gun, and she was given a new contract by her team while the league wasn't especially pro-active in her case either.

The league wants more attention, but yet conveniently flies under the radar when something bad comes to the surface. As long as "big media" isn't paying attention (as usual), there is no incentive to be expeditious,

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 10/19/21 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
bryan_february_ wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

It is funny how out of context this whole thing got.

No one can objectively watch the video replay and think that Taurasi had ANY intention of going after the referee maliciously. If I randomly hear that a player “pushed a referee” what immediately comes to my mind is not what Taurasi actually did.

It’s just weird. And it wouldn’t even have been discussed if it were Parker, Vandersloot or Copper.

Parker has been target on this board since she got in the league. If she had shoved a ref in the back, yes she would get ripped for it. Not sure if there would be whole think pieces on it, but yes, it would be discussed, at least here.

Personally, I don't think DT was being malicious, but just did a stupid thing in haste. She said, she didn't know that was an official, she just saw a pair of legs standing over her teammate. Girl, c'mon... Laughing Regardless, it's too late in her career now, she'll never change, but I wish she could just leave the refs alone. There is no question they get sick of her, and the Merc stop getting those 50/50 calls. That quick technical foul in game 4 sent that message.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/20/21 3:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didnt the Sky just bring that broken door to their championsparade as their special guest Shocked Laughing i dont see a lot of whining on that unsportmanslike behaviour Rolling Eyes

They didnt talk to the media so they got fined. Taurasi broke a door in maybe her last championship series and she got fined. Mercury and Taurasi deserved the fine. Its over and done with.

NBA players kick hit break chairs almost every week. They get fined and thats the end of it. Why isnt it the same for women?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
ucbart

PostPosted: 10/20/21 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Does this include Sky players who have acted like assholes since they won or just Diana?

Lexi Brown played in that series for an entire 17:25 of that series....and 10:55 was in the game 3 blowout.....yet she puts up the picture of Copper and Sophie-from a game she wasn't even good enough to check into.

What's really surprised me is all the young, blue checkmark "media" people on twitter who think the Chicago Sky and hyping up this door thing is the greatest thing in the entire universe. It really shows a level of immaturity by the organization and the people who support it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: