Player Behavior
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 10/20/21 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Honestly, I don't care about players skipping media. The door thing is a bad look, but it's pretty minor.

The fight is worse, but the Dream's poor response when it happened is a bigger issue than the fight itself. If the players involved had been fined/suspended at the time it would be forgotten by now.

Whose decision was it to sweep it under the rug?

Why should we be surprised? Riquna Williams threatened to kill someone with a gun, and she was given a new contract by her team while the league wasn't especially pro-active in her case either.

THANK. YOU!!!!! The social justice warriors themselves somehow swallowed their tongues on this one.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/20/21 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
I just don't like players that act like assholes *shrug*

Does this include Sky players who have acted like assholes since they won or just Diana?

Lexi Brown played in that series for an entire 17:25 of that series....and 10:55 was in the game 3 blowout.....yet she puts up the picture of Copper and Sophie-from a game she wasn't even good enough to check into.

What's really surprised me is all the young, blue checkmark "media" people on twitter who think the Chicago Sky and hyping up this door thing is the greatest thing in the entire universe. It really shows a level of immaturity by the organization and the people who support it.

I'd be embarrassed to put my cheap-ass door on display like that.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/20/21 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:

No one can objectively watch the video replay and think that Taurasi had ANY intention of going after the referee maliciously. If I randomly hear that a player “pushed a referee” what immediately comes to my mind is not what Taurasi actually did.

That's what I've been saying all along. And the rule says "intentionally" so either there's a lot of mind readers out there or a lot of people that got this wrong.

And where is all the bitching and moaning when she touched the ref, what I would say was intentionally, in game 4?

Looks like a lot of people just wanted her to sit out a game. Whatever.... Rolling Eyes

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
SCook

PostPosted: 10/20/21 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Honestly, I don't care about players skipping media. The door thing is a bad look, but it's pretty minor.

The fight is worse, but the Dream's poor response when it happened is a bigger issue than the fight itself. If the players involved had been fined/suspended at the time it would be forgotten by now.

Why should we be surprised? Riquna Williams threatened to kill someone with a gun, and she was given a new contract by her team while the league wasn't especially pro-active in her case either.

THANK. YOU!!!!! The social justice warriors themselves somehow swallowed their tongues on this one.

Social justice warriors? Interesting choice of words but I digress.

The Dream situation was handled entirely in house and not by the league in any way. You do know that different owners/ ownership groups have different guidelines right? Atlanta mismanaged their own player's and that doesn't fall directly on the league. Riquana's situation was handled by the league and she was suspended for 10 games without pay so what are you even talking about. They even stated that they did an investigation before making a decision. LA chose to resign her, which reflects on them more than the league as a whole.

Oh and if we're going to talk about Social Justice, let's state facts. The 2020 bubble season was when the influx of media and marketing started to happen and when Social Justice became the core theme for a season. The incident with Williams took place in 2019. How does it correlate?

PostPosted: 10/20/21 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
No one can objectively watch the video replay and think that Taurasi had ANY intention of going after the referee maliciously. If I randomly hear that a player “pushed a referee” what immediately comes to my mind is not what Taurasi actually did.

I don't know how much I trust the "objectivity" of someone with a Diana Taurasi avatar to talk about what Diana Taurasi's intentions were in that video, but okay.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
mercfan

PostPosted: 10/20/21 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan wrote:

I don't know how much I trust the "objectivity" of someone with a Diana Taurasi avatar to talk about what Diana Taurasi's intentions were in that video, but okay.

You don't have to trust me. There is video evidence lol.

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/20/21 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
ucbart wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

The Dream situation was handled entirely in house and not by the league in any way. You do know that different owners/ ownership groups have different guidelines right? Atlanta mismanaged their own player's and that doesn't fall directly on the league. Riquana's situation was handled by the league and she was suspended for 10 games without pay so what are you even talking about. They even stated that they did an investigation before making a decision. LA chose to resign her, which reflects on them more than the league as a whole.

Oh and if we're going to talk about Social Justice, let's state facts. The 2020 bubble season was when the influx of media and marketing started to happen and when Social Justice became the core theme for a season. The incident with Williams took place in 2019. How does it correlate?

Ahhhhhh-so because this happened in 2019 and the players only started to really care in 2020, that makes it ok? Same with the fact that they lecture us on human rights every chance they get, but all have endorsement deals with companies who have sweat shops in China that make the shoes/apparel they market>

Got it.

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/20/21 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan wrote:

Some people just hate Diana. They hate Diana more than any other player is hated. They see what they want. It's sad for them.

Don't waste your breath on this.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/20/21 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure how right-wing politics became part of this thread. Nor why someone with right-wing politics is a fan of the "social justice warriors" of the WNBA. Please count me as one women's basketball fan who greatly admires these "social justice warriors" both for their great play on the court and their courageous activism off the court.

PostPosted: 10/20/21 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/02/26/charges-against-sparks-guard-riquna-williams-are-dismissed/

Regarding comment about social justice: Its obvious that some people still have a problem with players speaking up about people of color being mistreated. Its fine, you are entitled to do that. Keep that same energy when someone close to you has their rights violated.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 10/20/21 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
SCook wrote:
ucbart wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Ahhhhhh-so because this happened in 2019 and the players only started to really care in 2020, that makes it ok? Same with the fact that they lecture us on human rights every chance they get, but all have endorsement deals with companies who have sweat shops in China that make the shoes/apparel they market>

Got it.

Hi Karen

PostPosted: 10/20/21 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan wrote:

The video shows her putting both hands out deliberately and intentionally pushing the ref, then do it again. This wasn't an accident where she was pushed or tripped over someone and fell into the ref. The rule book, says a player is suspended for “intentional physical contact with an official”...it doesn't require that the contact be "malicious." The excuse that she didn't know it was a ref is BS. She knows where every official is on that court at every minute.

The WNBA either needs to follow its own rules or to eliminate/revise the rules instead of applying them arbitrarily.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/20/21 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
mercfan wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan wrote:

The video shows her putting both hands out deliberately and intentionally pushing the ref, then do it again. This wasn't an accident where she was pushed or tripped over someone and fell into the ref. The rule book, says a player is suspended for “intentional physical contact with an official”...it doesn't require that the contact be "malicious." The excuse that she didn't know it was a ref is BS. She knows where every official is on that court at every minute.

The WNBA either needs to follow its own rules or to eliminate/revise the rules instead of applying them arbitrarily.

You.ve never been "zoned in" on something or been "unconscious" about something or had "tunnel vision" to the point that you might do something and not even realized that you did it or to whom you did it or to what extent?

Wow. I'm not sure if I should be impressed or have sympathy for you.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/20/21 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Some people just hate Diana. They hate Diana more than any other player is hated. They see what they want. It's sad for them.

Good luck trying to find any proof that I "hate" Diana Taurasi. I "hate" Sue Bird. I "hate" Maya Moore. I "hate" Elena Delle Donne. I "hate" DeWanna Bonner. I am almost entirely indifferent to Diana Taurasi... I do occasionally refer to her as Dracula, as a sign of respect, but that's the most time I spend thinking about her. And I'll bet you the price of a very good meal that I'm a hell of a lot more objective when it comes to Diana Taurasi than either you or @mercfan are.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/20/21 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
mercfan wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan wrote:

You.ve never been "zoned in" on something or been "unconscious" about something or had "tunnel vision" to the point that you might do something and not even realized that you did it or to whom you did it or to what extent?

Feel free to be impressed.

mercfan

PostPosted: 10/20/21 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
mercfan wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan wrote:

Yeah but the conversation isn't surrounding the rule, it's surrounding character. The way people have chosen to describe the incident is not objective at all. It wasn't "Diana vs Ref" like many on here want to believe.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/20/21 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
mercfan wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan wrote:

I'm leaning toward sympathy.

pasteurize

PostPosted: 10/20/21 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

Laughing Laughing

pasteurize

PostPosted: 10/20/21 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

The world would be a terrifying place if we were all cool with what you just described here.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/20/21 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pasteurize wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

The world would be a terrifying place if we were all cool with what you just described here.

What a stunning overreaction to what Ex-Ref wrote.

PostPosted: 10/20/21 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pasteurize wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

The world is already a terrifying place.
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/20/21 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Your honor:
I was "zoned in" on getting to the shopping mall and had "tunnel vision" which is the reason I didn't see the pedestrian in the crosswalk and hit her going 40 miles an hour.

Sorry this just doesn't cut it. The result is what matters. And anyway it's very, very hard to believe DT didn't know it was a referee no matter how zoned in she might have been.

Bottomline: If the W doesn't want to enforce this rule, they should just remove it or state a variety of possible penalties that they can subjectively apply depending on the situation...which is effectively what they did. Otherwise I can see lots of increased contact, and the players can just plead the Taurasi rule.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 10/20/21 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
mercfan wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan wrote:

I heard the league hands were tied because Espn wanted DT to play for ratings. DT put the league in a bad spot because of her actions.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/20/21 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again I'll ask, why isn't anybody crying about a suspension when she made contact with the ref in game 4? My guess is that very few people noticed it. I didn't read much of the press about the game, so I don't know if it was mentioned there or not. I'd even go so far as to say that all of you would have to go back and re-watch the game to even know what I'm talking about.

And please, don't anybody think that I'm a DT fan. I'm an ND fan. I have my green 2017-2018 shirt on now. Wore a different one for my workout tonight along with my ND shorts.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 10/20/21 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
bryan_february_ wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
The ref thing, I believe there is a limit, a line not to be crossed. Putting your hands on someone is a step too far.

It was, and now that the Finals are over (and people stop complaining about how Sky fans only wanted to get Diana suspended to gain an advantage), maybe we can have a real discussion about it.

It was disappointing the way the league handled it. To not only acknowledge it, but to go against your own rulebook and issue her that petty fine was bush league.

WNBA needs to do better. I hate to bring up the NBA here, but if a player there put hands on a ref.. doesn't matter if it was LeBron in the Finals, they are getting punished swiftly and harshly because it's utterly unacceptable behavior.

Do you want this addressed to just Taurasi or both Sloot and Taurasi, because [b]Sloot pushed the refs arms out of the way to get to her teammate too?[\b]

We all know Diana had no intention of hurting that ref (and she didn’t), and was concerned about her teammate, as was Sloot.

And no..if a ref was touched in a scuffle by Lebron - who was just going to his teammate., he wouldn’t be punished.

And yes, there is a misogynist tone to this. And there is an anti-Diana element to it as well. All players have their unlikeable traits, but people have gotten carried away with the character assassination. And it’s a real shame because she’s only got a few years left (if that), appreciate her while she’s around..

The fight..I agree, it was a weirder response by the front office - but I gotta say..again, sports teams tend to look at this situation, suspend a player for a few games, and move on. It again reeks of “this is a bigger problem than it needs to be because they are women.”
We are telling lies to defend DT now? Sloot didn’t pushed the arms of the ref. What Court did was pulled Kah away.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: