Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miller40

PostPosted: 07/07/22 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
figuring out some trade for SDS is not an easy task

on one hand she is a top ten player but putting aside other issues for the moment she is on a max contract 227K and anyone taking her on would have to send back close to equal money to fit her under their cap before we even talk about picks

In short even if teams had first round picks that PX would want (which a lot of teams don't many 23 1st round picks have been traded) PX still has to take back matching salary.

The best I could come up with (and tbh I could still have the money wrong)

SDS to Atl for A. McDonald, K. Vaughn and 23 first round pick originally owned by Washington (5-Cool
variation SDS to Atl for Wheeler and Wallace and Washinton's first round pick

SDS to Indy for K. Mitchell (or Hartley if the money works which might be better for PX since Hartley comes off the books next season) and 1st round pick originally owned by Dallas (lottery to six, Indy retains its own pick)

SDS to Indy for T. Mitchell and V. Vivians and 1st round pick originally owned by Dallas (lottery to 6, Indy retains its own pick)

here is a weird one
SDS for Bonner and Conn's first round pick 8-12 (not sure why Conn does this unless they think Diggins-Smith can be more productive for therm then Bonner) but if they feel A. Thomas can be more of a 3 full-time a Diggins-Smith-Smith C. Williams back-court could be interesting

the problem with LA is they have no 1st round picks in 23 so it would be just for players and a 2nd round pick, LA does have some cap room which makes for more options

SDS for Canada and Sykes or you could replace one of Canada or Sykes with KLS or Carter or do C. Ogumike and any of the four above and LA could throw in their second round pick looking like 15-18 depending on how things play out
I feel like the most realistic combos would be
Sykes and Carter
Canada and KLS

I don'r think Seattle, Chicago or LV would want to mess with their success and unless you are willing to give up Copper, Loyd, Or Ch. Gray they don't really have matching salary (Vegas could do Colson and R. Williams but also do not have a 1st round pick in 23) Washingtonand Minnesota can't trade because they are already at 11 and 10 players respectively and could only match salary by sending out two players unless they do EDD or Fowles and I don't even think Fowles would work so while both the teams have 1st round picks they can't match salary. NY could put something together but I don't think they would risk their pick and the something would have to be like Dolson and Richards or Whitcomb or Allen and Willoughby or Onyenwere and without a pick attached I don't see PX doing it unless it like a Westbrook or Kyrie situation and they just want Diggins-Smith-Smith gone.

So while I think Indy and Atl probably have the best packages because of the pick I don't think Atl needs to accelerate its rebuild and they seem to be working on culture and chemistry and the team is clearly being build around R. Howard so I doubt Atl pulls the trigger. Indy might like a star, if they can get Diggins-Smith for either of the trade that don't involve K. Mitchell it might be a good move, but at the end of the day if it happens I think it will be LA
so SDS for
Sykes/Carter
or Canada/KLS and a 2nd round pick in 23

No thanks. Why would anyone give up Kelsey Mitchell and picks halfway through the season for an older player who will be an UFA in 2024?

shontay33

PostPosted: 07/07/22 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TigerVol wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Reported by whom?

It wouldn't surprise me but hard to give up an allstar quality player.

Not if she breaks your team unless maybe it is HER team?

Talented and plays hard as heck but seems to have recurring issues with any organization she plays for?

I mean any player/person can just need a change without that meaning there is a larger issue...but at some point when it becomes a pattern...IDK.

1. The Mercury should have kept Sandy, but the GM who made all of these trades and left the Mercury without any young players decided otherwise. Now it’s looking like crap!!
2. Skylar didn’t have an issue with Fred or Sandy. Fred was very much liked and respected by his players. The Mercury players didn’t have an issue with Sandy either. So we can’t say that Skylar has a problem with coaches.
3. If we go back to Dallas/Tulsa, there was a supposed beef between her and Oddsey Sims, they played together just fine.
The main concern is this current coach who seems to publicly in over her head and fixated on DT. You sat through a press conference and slammed the league by saying that they don’t have an all star game because DT isn’t there but didn’t even acknowledge the player that has practically carried this damn team all season! So if they are shopping Skylar, I say good for her. She can get out of the PHX shit Show so that Nygard can rely on DT like she wants to.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 07/07/22 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
After that first sentence I thought you were talking about Taurasi. She's had a long history of running off star teammates.

I'm wondering which teammates did Skylar run off in Dallas/Tulsa Cambage leaving had nothing to her. Diggins and Sims couldn't co-exist on the court effectively because neither one of them could play off the ball. I don't remember her and Glory Johnson having any issues either.

Last edited by Davis4632 on 07/07/22 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/07/22 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nygard has been extremely complimentary of DT, hyper vocal about BG ( which I’m glad, but she’s been one of the most vocal people, and I’m not even sure if she’s met her), so she seems like a players coach..but then she’s silent about Skylar. Which has to be frustrating if you are Skylar.

PostPosted: 07/07/22 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
TigerVol wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Reported by whom?

Not if she breaks your team unless maybe it is HER team?

Talented and plays hard as heck but seems to have recurring issues with any organization she plays for?

I mean any player/person can just need a change without that meaning there is a larger issue...but at some point when it becomes a pattern...IDK.

1. The Mercury should have kept Sandy, but the GM who made all of these trades and left the Mercury without any young players decided otherwise. Now it’s looking like crap!!
2. Skylar didn’t have an issue with Fred or Sandy. Fred was very much liked and respected by his players. The Mercury players didn’t have an issue with Sandy either. So we can’t say that Skylar has a problem with coaches.
3. If we go back to Dallas/Tulsa, there was a supposed beef between her and Oddsey Sims, they played together just fine.
The main concern is this current coach who seems to publicly in over her head and fixated on DT. You sat through a press conference and slammed the league by saying that they don’t have an all star game because DT isn’t there but didn’t even acknowledge the player that has practically carried this damn team all season! So if they are shopping Skylar, I say good for her. She can get out of the PHX shit Show so that Nygard can rely on DT like she wants to.

Mmmm hmmmm.

I seem to recall drama, in the press, as if Skylar was the only player to ever get pregnant.

And slamming the organization for not giving her more support - when they paid her not to play as she rightly took time dealing with PPD.

Now the clown tweet.

One can be well intended and even right about things and handle them in a way that is egocentric and detrimental to the team.

There are going to be issues in the ebb and flow of any workplace. In the front and center role she wants she reps and sells the team - or should.

I'd assume any GM/Coach would have much more insight into the behind the scenes reality for the locker room and the organization to know if there is really and issue or if it is just competitive that can come across as diva drama. Maybe she is just a chip on the shoulder motivates me player - there just always seems to be a chip.

PostPosted: 07/07/22 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought in the full clip, Nygaard does acknowledge SDS before making the unnecessary comment invalidating the ASG sans DT. But all I can find is this tweet:
https://twitter.com/joshweinfuss/status/1542721483172036608

I have spent too much time at work looking for the clip!

PostPosted: 07/07/22 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
I thought in the full clip, Nygaard does acknowledge SDS before making the unnecessary comment invalidating the ASG sans DT. But all I can find is this tweet:
https://twitter.com/joshweinfuss/status/1542721483172036608

I have spent too much time at work looking for the clip!

Her acknowledgement of Diggins came after she was clowned

PostPosted: 07/07/22 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Diggins an unrestricted free agent next season?

undersized_post

PostPosted: 07/07/22 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:

Not until 2024. She's on the books next year for $234,350, protected.

PostPosted: 07/07/22 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

Not until 2024. She's on the books next year for $234,350, protected.

Thanks. So the best bet for Phoenix is to trade her next year so they will be in a better position for a lottery pick, no? Laughing

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 07/07/22 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Reported by whom?

Phoenix needs to blow it up and acquire picks. They went all in and fate had other plans, unfortunately. Get whatever you can for SDS and Diamond, DT likely retires at the end of the year. No one knows the timetable for BG, but even if she were released today, there is no telling when she would be emotionally ready to compete, if ever.

It would come as a surprise to me if DT retired at the end of this season. Nothing she has stated to the media suggests that. I don’t know if I see her making a surprise announcement without a media tour similar to Bird.

I remember reading a DT quote (maybe at media day?), where she said, when she's done, that's it, she'll say it, and it will be over. I don't think she would do the good bye tour. I don't think Parker is doing it this year. This might be it for her too. She's hinted it a couple times.

PostPosted: 07/08/22 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
mercfan wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Reported by whom?

Phoenix needs to blow it up and acquire picks. They went all in and fate had other plans, unfortunately. Get whatever you can for SDS and Diamond, DT likely retires at the end of the year. No one knows the timetable for BG, but even if she were released today, there is no telling when she would be emotionally ready to compete, if ever.

It would come as a surprise to me if DT retired at the end of this season. Nothing she has stated to the media suggests that. I don’t know if I see her making a surprise announcement without a media tour similar to Bird.

I remember reading a DT quote (maybe at media day?), where she said, when she's done, that's it, she'll say it, and it will be over. I don't think she would do the good bye tour. I don't think Parker is doing it this year. This might be it for her too. She's hinted it a couple times.

I think so too. DT isn’t about attention. She doesn’t have social media or any of that crap.

That being said, she’s repeatedly said this wasn’t her last year. And I’d hate to see her go out after this year.

PostPosted: 07/08/22 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've thought that especially with BG's situation, DT would like to have one more chance to play a season with her. DT can still have games where she can contribute but she is definitely showing her age. Maybe it's just that we expect the GOAT to go on looking like she's the best in the world, rather than now 'just' being a more normal, but still very good, player.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/08/22 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I've thought that especially with BG's situation, DT would like to have one more chance to play a season with her. DT can still have games where she can contribute but she is definitely showing her age. Maybe it's just that we expect the GOAT to go on looking like she's the best in the world, rather than now 'just' being a more normal, but still very good, player.

It’s crazy, but she has very similar numbers to Loyd.

PostPosted: 07/18/22 6:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

can PHX cut simms and sign hartley?

IM in OC

PostPosted: 07/21/22 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/WorldExposureWB/status/1550219920679600128

#WNBA Breaking News

The three-time WNBA Champion Phoenix Mercury today announced the signing of forward Kaela Davis to a hardship contract.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 07/21/22 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
https://twitter.com/WorldExposureWB/status/1550219920679600128

#WNBA Breaking News

The three-time WNBA Champion Phoenix Mercury today announced the signing of forward Kaela Davis to a hardship contract.

Not sure how breaking news that is but good for her. We could use some size at the very least.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 07/22/22 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.cbssports.com/wnba/news/diana-taurasi-says-retirement-is-on-her-mind-ahead-of-final-game-vs-sue-bird-will-make-decision-in-offseason/

Diana Taurasi says retirement is on her mind ahead of final game vs. Sue Bird, will make decision in offseason

Quote:
"Seeing how happy she is going through her retirement years made me really think about that long winter. When the season ends, I'll be a free agent and I'll see what's best for me. I don't know what that is right now. It's always something that as you get older as an athlete, you start thinking about and you start really kind of bouncing off ideas on [wife] Penny [Taylor] and my close friends and people that I really respect and trust their opinion."

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/22/22 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Technically, hilariously, the Merc could core her.

PostPosted: 07/22/22 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd like Diana to have a farewell tour but I can't imagine Phoenix will be any better next year unless BG is ready to come back. I imagine that is the make it break for her; no BG and she will retire because why slog through another season like this but if BG comes back and Skylar is on board, then I could see her doing on more year.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 08/04/22 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/_Breezy_Briii/status/1555372358176804864

A Twitter thread from Brianna Turner:

Quote:
"I really think we overuse the word strength and what it means to be strong in the sense of overcoming something. I don’t want to be considered strong in a moment that is traumatizing. BG is so much more than her Olympian/ wnba status. It literally pains me to see the constant...

"Stream of hate coming her way during one of her most vulnerable moments. The dozens of messages I receive daily from grown adults going out of their way to personally notify me how much they don’t support her, knowing that it’s nearly impossible to respond to everyone....

"So no, playing despite the circumstances doesn’t make me feel strong or resilient. It makes me feel like a robot. Emotional trauma is constantly in my shadow. People constantly asking questions. There is no escape. There is no way to cope. You just try to survive the day....

"And yes I know BG does have lots of support!! And I think that’s amazing. Now with her verdict hopefully negotiations can continue to happen to bring her home and other Americans facing international detainment. More can always be done."

PostPosted: 08/04/22 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
https://twitter.com/_Breezy_Briii/status/1555372358176804864

A Twitter thread from Brianna Turner:

Quote:
"I really think we overuse the word strength and what it means to be strong in the sense of overcoming something. I don’t want to be considered strong in a moment that is traumatizing. BG is so much more than her Olympian/ wnba status. It literally pains me to see the constant...

"Stream of hate coming her way during one of her most vulnerable moments. The dozens of messages I receive daily from grown adults going out of their way to personally notify me how much they don’t support her, knowing that it’s nearly impossible to respond to everyone....

"So no, playing despite the circumstances doesn’t make me feel strong or resilient. It makes me feel like a robot. Emotional trauma is constantly in my shadow. People constantly asking questions. There is no escape. There is no way to cope. You just try to survive the day....

"And yes I know BG does have lots of support!! And I think that’s amazing. Now with her verdict hopefully negotiations can continue to happen to bring her home and other Americans facing international detainment. More can always be done."

BT is one of my all time favorite people.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 08/05/22 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/PhoenixMercury/status/1555408497185099776?s=20&t=OxouuhABEKjNlbruMX5PRw

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

IM in OC

PostPosted: 08/08/22 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/alexaphilippou/status/1556735397136371715

BREAKING: Diana Taurasi will miss the remainder of the season with a quad strain, the Phoenix Mercury announce.

Yvonne “Vonnie” Turner has been signed to a hardship contract to replace Taurasi’s roster spot

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/08/22 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
https://twitter.com/alexaphilippou/status/1556735397136371715

BREAKING: Diana Taurasi will miss the remainder of the season with a quad strain, the Phoenix Mercury announce.

Yvonne “Vonnie” Turner has been signed to a hardship contract to replace Taurasi’s roster spot

Not unexpected after missing the last few games. No sense in running her into the ground just to make an 8 seed. I wish they had been smarter with managing her minutes but I imagine DT herself probably insisted on playing the minutes she played.

I just hope she plays next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24

Jump to: