RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mercfan

PostPosted: 10/18/21 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Honest question: Why do people thing Cunningham will be in Phoenix next season? Mercury could have made that happen and chose not to. What is the reasoning that they will change their mind and want to keep her? Why would Cunningham choose to stay after Phoenix tried to cut her loose?

I think the assumption is that Sophie likes it in Phoenix. She doesn't have to stay and the Mercury don't have to keep her, but the fans like her as a member of the Mercury so there is an assumption that a deal would try to be worked out.

I am pretty indifferent. I really like Sophie but we need the best possible players around SDS and BG. If that is Sophie, great. I'd like to see a version of her in 2022 that is a bit more reliable if she is a true starter or sixth woman. The title window is a little bit wonky for Phoenix. If Taurasi retires before Griner and SDS turn 34, which she will, the window re-opens with good free agency moves. As far as next year, the window is closed if the Mercury do not win the offseason.

At this point, you cannot assume Taurasi will be healthy. Nor can we assume at all that Nurse will play in the 2022 season. I worry about this as it it is still tbd if Bria Hartley EVER returns to her former self prior to her acl tear. That's 3 of your 4 guards with serious injury questions.

If we are going with Nurse and Hartley in 22, I think we have to dump Peddy for a big so she isn't really in my picture.

Final thought: The big three are too good to be losing to teams like Chicago in the finals because we don't have enough depth. I don't mean that to be shady, remember this a Mercury thread. It's just that it is a really hard pill to swallow. Griner is SO dominant. It should have to be extremely difficult to beat the Mercury but it isn't when you have 8 players that can play and one of them is Kia Vaughn.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/18/21 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Honest question: Why do people thing Cunningham will be in Phoenix next season? Mercury could have made that happen and chose not to. What is the reasoning that they will change their mind and want to keep her? Why would Cunningham choose to stay after Phoenix tried to cut her loose?

She had a very good season, and both DT and Sandy seem to like her a lot.

I’m not sure why we did what he did earlier in the season. But she’s an obvious need right now.

PostPosted: 10/18/21 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Sophie is liked by the fans and from what I saw, she has a really good relationship with BG. She also had a really good season. That's the plus right there. I would think that the earlier decision was because Nurse was the priority when the season ended. However, with the injury, she'll still stay but if the season starts early (36 games plus needing to end in early September for the World Cup in Australia next year) then Nurse is not likely to be playing for majority of the season or at all. So I think Sophie should be a lock because we need her.

PostPosted: 10/18/21 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a message to all the Phoenix players. Doors, don't hit back.

PostPosted: 10/19/21 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As for what we need, Smith and walker have to go what about Chennedy Carter as a cheap option or Courtney Williams as a dear option if we go for a cheap Vaughn replacement? i know they are abit of trouble but could use them and in a vet team hopefully they would be ok or we could get steph talbot back she was good for storm and not expensive. Other ideas is Kia Vaughn has got to go and free up some good cap space - maybe Zahui B at a higher cost or Kiah stokes cheap, even A'ja wilson is out of contract i think if we really wanted to go big and tina charles. Kia nurse isnt going to be available next year but we want to keep her so not sure how that looks but not sure we can carry her all year. assuming DT goes one more round we have DT/Sky/Griner/Hartley/Turner/cunningham/peddy/?scorer?/?big replacement who can score?/?young scorer?

Shades

PostPosted: 10/19/21 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/53wLnLB_1-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mercfan

PostPosted: 10/20/21 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are the Suns and Mercury hands down the closest franchises between the WNBA and NBA? I love their support of one another.

It would be cool to see other teams that share NBA cities have this kind of genuine connection.

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 10/20/21 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Are the Suns and Mercury hands down the closest franchises between the WNBA and NBA? I love their support of one another.

It would be cool to see other teams that share NBA cities have this kind of genuine connection.

What most people don't realize that in game 2 where they showed the Suns support numerous times on the screen, there were several Trailblazer players at the game as well sitting on the other side of the score table. The Suns preseason game played before game 2 was against the Trailblazers.

SCook

PostPosted: 10/20/21 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan12 wrote:
As for what we need, Smith and walker have to go what about Chennedy Carter as a cheap option or Courtney Williams as a dear option if we go for a cheap Vaughn replacement? i know they are abit of trouble but could use them and in a vet team hopefully they would be ok or we could get steph talbot back she was good for storm and not expensive. Other ideas is Kia Vaughn has got to go and free up some good cap space - maybe Zahui B at a higher cost or Kiah stokes cheap, even A'ja wilson is out of contract i think if we really wanted to go big and tina charles. Kia nurse isnt going to be available next year but we want to keep her so not sure how that looks but not sure we can carry her all year. assuming DT goes one more round we have DT/Sky/Griner/Hartley/Turner/cunningham/peddy/?scorer?/?big replacement who can score?/?young scorer?

Carter? I mean..... I don't know about that. We already have 1 player that Sandy doesn't know how to "control". We don't need another. Williams is a player that I like for the roster. Instant offense and she'd have to be comfortable with coming off the bench when Kia Nurse makes her return.

Aja Wilson! I'm sure Vegas is going to core her or something as soon as free agency starts and she's also in for a huge upgrade on the pay scale. All I'll say is Aja is a great player but I don't like her defense and she offers more offense then Breezy (Turner). I don't know. The combo of BG and Aja did amazing in the Olympics so it could work. The issue is that, if a big offers more offense than Breezy, do they automatically get the start? Or would they still come off the bench?

PostPosted: 10/22/21 5:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:
mercfan wrote:

What most people don't realize that in game 2 where they showed the Suns support numerous times on the screen, there were several Trailblazer players at the game as well sitting on the other side of the score table. The Suns preseason game played before game 2 was against the Trailblazers.

I saw some pictures of them where it looked like they were almost forced to be at this game.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
DFWub2018

PostPosted: 10/22/21 7:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan12 wrote:

Either Chennedy or Courtney will be in Dallas in 2022.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 10/22/21 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:

It's not actually relevant to what you are saying but there are quite a few games throughout the season where you will see groups of Cowboys or Mavs players at Wings games or people who are in the entertainment industry whom maintain homes in the Dallas area....you would be surprised by the number of famous people who have no connection to Dallas but have homes in the area and use them frequently.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/22/21 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
sportsfan48 wrote:
mercfan wrote:

I saw some pictures of them where it looked like they were almost forced to be at this game.

That’s why I don’t mind when the Camera shows shots of Suns players as opposed to some other famous male athlete or star. Every time they are shown, they are super into the game.

There were a few articles about Diana having a pretty big impact on Devin’s development. She was the greatest basketball Vet he had access too, and he’s talked about that some. Ayton also said he was star struck the first time he saw her. Laughing I do get the sense that the teams are close knit.

PostPosted: 10/22/21 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
sportsfan48 wrote:
mercfan wrote:

That’s why I don’t mind when the Camera shows shots of Suns players as opposed to some other famous male athlete or star. Every time they are shown, they are super into the game.

There were a few articles about Diana having a pretty big impact on Devin’s development. She was the greatest basketball Vet he had access too, and he’s talked about that some. Ayton also said he was star struck the first time he saw her. Laughing I do get the sense that the teams are close knit.

It's also interesting when you watch Booker because he plays almost the exact same way through contact.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/22/21 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NBA bracing for bombshell story about Suns owner Robert Sarver

https://clutchpoints.com/suns-news-nba-bracing-for-bombshell-story-about-robert-sarver/

Quote:
the NBA is preparing to receive a story uncovering accusations of racism, sexism and sexual harassment towards Sarver. The evidence may lead to the league removing Sarver from his position as Phoenix’s owner.

PostPosted: 10/22/21 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

https://clutchpoints.com/suns-news-nba-bracing-for-bombshell-story-about-robert-sarver/

Quote:
the NBA is preparing to receive a story uncovering accusations of racism, sexism and sexual harassment towards Sarver. The evidence may lead to the league removing Sarver from his position as Phoenix’s owner.

Damn. Damn. Damn.

So who is the richest person in Phoenix?

pilight

PostPosted: 10/22/21 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Damn. Damn. Damn.

So who is the richest person in Phoenix?

Ernest Garcia III, CEO of Carvana

PostPosted: 10/22/21 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Taurasi could retire from playing and immediately put a group together to buy the team. She's even one of the few players who's probably made enough cash that she could make up a meaningful part of the group financially, rather than just be a figurehead.

PostPosted: 10/22/21 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully the next owner is interested in both teams..

Ironically, seems like (at least from what Taurasi and Diggins have said in the past) that Sarver was pretty good to the Mercury - and it was the Suns players he screwed over. (Like, recently pissing off Ayton for no good reason. )

PostPosted: 11/04/21 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here it is, the article out of Phoenix we’ve all been waiting for: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner.

…And boy, it did not disappoint. 😵‍💫 The Merc will be looking for a new owner soon, if I had to guess.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/04/21 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hesitate to defend Sarver, because my impression of him is that he is a giant, conceited jerk, but while there are a *lot* of horrific claims in that report, there's a lot of hearsay as well. So many people have so many conflicting stories that it sounds like they're talking from parallel universes.

(now with spelling variations)
StevenHW

PostPosted: 11/05/21 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://beyondthew.com/robert-sarver-has-become-the-new-kelly-loeffler-wnba-cannot-keep-him-around/

PostPosted: 11/05/21 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I hesitate to defend Sarver, because my impression of him is that he is a giant, conceited jerk, but while there are a *lot* of horrific claims in that report, there's a lot of hearsay as well. So many people have so many conflicting stories that it sounds like they're talking from parallel universes.

I also had a hard time getting a handle on the story.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 11/06/21 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
http://beyondthew.com/robert-sarver-has-become-the-new-kelly-loeffler-wnba-cannot-keep-him-around/

Thanks for posting this. Sarver's got to go.

PostPosted: 12/06/21 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/phoenixmercury/status/1467994699327672321?s=21

Quote:
On behalf of the entire X-Factor, thank you, Sandy.

Brondello out as Head Coach.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 2 of 24

Jump to: