RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/18/22 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Man this new salary cap is gonna make free agency dull and brutal going forward.

Thoroughly disagree. It makes things massively more interesting. It just requires forethought, planning, and actual decent assessment of players' values to handle it.

PostPosted: 01/18/22 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Man this new salary cap is gonna make free agency dull and brutal going forward.

Thoroughly disagree. It makes things massively more interesting. It just requires forethought, planning, and actual decent assessment of players' values to handle it.

They probably mean that Phoenix have painted themselves into a corner and don't know how to get out of it.

PostPosted: 01/18/22 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

They probably mean that Phoenix have painted themselves into a corner and don't know how to get out of it.

I don't think the GMs in this league put nearly as much forethought, planning or assessment into their roster moves as the fans on this board do. In theory, yes the salary cap makes it more challenging and requires clever GM skills. I don't think we've seen that anywhere thus far.

I'd say Phoenix is probably the most egregious example, but almost every team seems to have maxed themselves out in year one and now are scrambling to find vet minimums because they can't afford anything else. The only excitement we're gonna get is when star player's retire and free up that $200k. Maybe then the teams will spend more wisely but what we've got now is a supermax arms race for talent that results in teams maxing out the best players and throwing darts for draft picks and vet minimums.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/18/22 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Several teams have loads of cap space right now, and several other teams are scheduled to have loads of cap space this time next year. WNBA contracts are short enough that this stuff cycles around. Everyone's still adapting somewhat to the new state of play, but it's far more interesting than when 40% of the league was on the max and the middle-class was about three players.

PostPosted: 01/18/22 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Several teams have loads of cap space right now, and several other teams are scheduled to have loads of cap space this time next year. WNBA contracts are short enough that this stuff cycles around. Everyone's still adapting somewhat to the new state of play, but it's far more interesting than when 40% of the league was on the max and the middle-class was about three players.

You're right. I'm just being a negative Nancy here. I'm sorry.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/19/22 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pelicans assistant Teresa Weatherspoon withdraws from consideration for Mercury head coach: Sources

https://theathletic.com/news/pelicans-assistant-teresa-weatherspoon-withdraws-from-consideration-for-mercury-head-coach-sources/CoDLWf1wdeu9/

Quote:
Pelicans assistant Teresa Weatherspoon is removing her name from consideration for the head-coaching job with the WNBA's Phoenix Mercury, sources told The Athletic. New Orleans successfully pushed to keep their well-regarded assistant, sources said

Shams also tweeted that T Spoon was impressed but felt there was more to be accomplished with the Pelicans.

So, maybe this was the delay? Phoenix was trying to woo her and she ultimately declined? I imagine it had to be a bit of a money issue since clearly money was able to get Hammon to leave the NBA. Or maybe TSpoon feels like she has the best chance in the NBA now?

Sadly, this whole affair has been a clown show. Maybe we'll get an announcement soon with whoever the #2 option was?

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/19/22 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sidenote: I wonder if they even tried to make a call to Adia Barnes. I feel like she could've been a decent hire; recent college success, former W player, bigger name. I don't know if the Mercury could've matched that NCAA salary but would've been worth a call.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/19/22 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn, I was really hoping we’d get her. Judging from Skylar’s tweet, she’s who the players wanted.

If we wait a week, Frank Vogel might be available. Laughing

PostPosted: 01/19/22 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh my gosh, the WNBA tweeted that the Mercury may be leaning toward Steph White!!! if this were to happen I’d have to soften, or eradicate, my loathing of Phoenix! Just kidding, when they’re not playing my team I love DT, BG and almost Cunningham. SDS on the other hand, nope.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/19/22 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Oh my gosh, the WNBA tweeted that the Mercury may be leaning toward Steph White!!! if this were to happen I’d have to soften, or eradicate, my loathing of Phoenix! Just kidding, when they’re not playing my team I love DT, BG and almost Cunningham. SDS on the other hand, nope.

The White sands of Phoenix. Lovely.🙂

PostPosted: 01/20/22 6:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Sidenote: I wonder if they even tried to make a call to Adia Barnes. I feel like she could've been a decent hire; recent college success, former W player, bigger name. I don't know if the Mercury could've matched that NCAA salary but would've been worth a call.

If they have, it could be one reason it doesn't seem like much information is coming out. I'd assume she'd want to wait until after the season to announce it if she wasn't going to step down mid-season

PostPosted: 01/20/22 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

If they have, it could be one reason it doesn't seem like much information is coming out. I'd assume she'd want to wait until after the season to announce it if she wasn't going to step down mid-season

I think she also has a good thing going at Arizona and hasn't peaked yet. I think it's unlikely she goes to the pro ranks. I always love listening to her talk about character and the culture of her program. She is a great influence on these young kids and I kind of hope she stays at the college level.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/20/22 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I think she also has a good thing going at Arizona and hasn't peaked yet. I think it's unlikely she goes to the pro ranks. I always love listening to her talk about character and the culture of her program. She is a great influence on these young kids and I kind of hope she stays at the college level.

For sure. I highly doubt she would accept but you'd hope Mercury at least made the call.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 01/20/22 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yikes, at the White news! Is that really the best the Merc could come up with? You would think it wouldn’t be so hard to find someone eager to coach a roster with DT, BG, Sky Diggs, etc.

mercfan

PostPosted: 01/20/22 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Yikes, at the White news! Is that really the best the Merc could come up with? You would think it wouldn’t be so hard to find someone eager to coach a roster with DT, BG, Sky Diggs, etc.

I’m ok with the hire if it ends up that way. There are plenty of wnba coaches that would struggle at the collegiate level. It’s a totally different ball game.

I enjoyed her at Indiana.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/20/22 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:

I mean, Steph is possibly well suited to this roster. Her biggest success was taking Indiana to the finals (and almost winning, mind you) off the talent of an established roster with a HOF talent.

I don't know if she'll replicate that success with Phoenix but I can see their logic. They have a roster with 3 All Stars and there isn't much they'll be able to do with free agency. Clearly the team felt they had to move on from Sandy. Despite getting them to the finals, they were severely under performing every year under her.

I don't think there is a wealth of available talent out there. Any person they pick to replace Brondello is gonna be a big gamble but clearly a gamble they felt they had to take in DTs waning years. Do you ride it with Sandy and likely underperform until DT retires or do you take that gamble on a coaching change?

They were never going to get Hammon and it looks like they couldn't lure TSpoon. They clearly bubgled this coaching change but Steph White could be the best available option. I think it's a lot more risky to take on someone with no W experience.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 01/20/22 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Steph White’s tenure at Indiana produced some stifling g defense IIRC. Maybe part of that was the prowess of Catchings, but BG has that same potential. If all she did was up the defensive effort at Phoenix, then watch watch out. If she can come up with a scheme to cover up for the horrible Taurasi lapses, maybe they end up with a chip?

Tally24

PostPosted: 01/20/22 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Steph White’s tenure at Indiana produced some stifling g defense IIRC. Maybe part of that was the prowess of Catchings, but BG has that same potential. If all she did was up the defensive effort at Phoenix, then watch watch out. If she can come up with a scheme to cover up for the horrible Taurasi lapses, maybe they end up with a chip?

All we have to do if revamp the rover defense. Instead of Taurasi being the rover though, she just stands in one spot and breathes.

Last edited by Tally24 on 01/21/22 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 01/20/22 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:

Of Catchings' 15 seasons as a player, the team DER in White's two seasons ranked 10th and 15th.

PostPosted: 01/21/22 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Black Female Coaches Only Need Apply...

Makes HC recruitment limited.

Plus, SDS & DT will be no treat for new HC, unless they approve of and/or can have and maintain control of play and team.

Might as well just let these two share the job with a token on the bench while they are on the floor. Griner will listen and adhere to DT orders, for the most part. Others?

Black Male Patsy Prototype: Fred Williams

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 01/21/22 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:

Of Catchings' 15 seasons as a player, the team DER in White's two seasons ranked 10th and 15th.

Yep, White has not been impressive. Oh well, if Fred Williams can be a retread then why not! Laughing

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/21/22 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am dying to be a fly on the wall and know exactly what the issue is here. They have done a horrible job with this replacement search. Clearly, they wanted Weatherspoon. I can't see any reason she would announce she was withdrawing her name other than to save a bit of face. Clearly a "I have the offer but no thanks" but also doesn't want to look like she was passed over. She was clearly the pick but declined.

No contingency plan. Oof.

Speaking of retreads with NBA experience, where is Jenny Boucek? Lol

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 01/21/22 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Merc are more in need of a facilitator per se, they have some *ahem* strong personalities. Where’s Agler?

lynxmania

PostPosted: 01/21/22 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
lSpeaking of retreads with NBA experience, where is Jenny Boucek? Lol

Currently with the Pacers

Iluvacc wrote:
The Merc are more in need of a facilitator per se, they have *ahem* strong personalities. Where’s Agler?

Currently the AD at Wittenberg University in Ohio

PostPosted: 01/21/22 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vanessa Nygaard it is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 7 of 24

Jump to: