RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 01/11/22 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Are Hargrove and Trammel still in consideration?

That's Julie Hairgrove -- not to be confused with Linda Hargrove or Kamesha Hairston. Wink

Early on, I was actually seeing Chasity Melvin's name mentioned rather than Hairgrove. I guess people are just tossing out names.

PostPosted: 01/12/22 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://justwomenssports.com/stephanie-white-phoenix-mercury-head-coach-finalist-wnba/

Quote:
Stephanie White is among the finalists for the Phoenix Mercury head coaching position, sources tell Just Women’s Sports. The veteran coach interviewed with the team in person late last week.

Clearly White would prefer not waiting for Stanley to inevitably get the boot.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/12/22 1:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I definitely saw Chasity Melvin mentioned somewhere as well, I think as someone who interviewed for one of the open positions.

Nakase does have a fair amount of coaching experience, just not all of it in the US. As more women start getting employed on the men's side I think we're going to have to get used to that being a pool that WNBA teams reach into when they have head coach openings. What's going to be interesting is if more male assistants in the men's game start seeing the WNBA as a viable route to advancing their careers. Because if those guys want to apply for WNBA openings and are willing to do the job for regular WNBA-level salaries, they're going to draw interest.

PostPosted: 01/12/22 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure this has been discussed before but how are Sophie Cunningham and Alanna Smith both Unrestricted with only 3 years of play? It's supposed to be 5.

PostPosted: 01/12/22 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I'm sure this has been discussed before but how are Sophie Cunningham and Alanna Smith both Unrestricted with only 3 years of play? It's supposed to be 5.

I've blathered on about it quite a lot on Twitter. Phoenix declined both their 4th-year options, so by rule they become unrestricted free agents. Those 4th years would've been unprotected, so there was no particularly good reason to decline them.

PostPosted: 01/12/22 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

It’s been discussed here frequently. Usually it would pop up in a game thread when Cunningham’s having a good game…. or in Mercury 2022 roster discussions when people automatically pencil Cunningham in.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=100071&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/53wLnLB_1-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/12/22 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But does anyone have an aswer as to why that happened? Did Phoenix mis-file their contracts or something?

PostPosted: 01/12/22 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, it’s not like Phoenix management held a press conference and announced, “Shit, we screwed up!” Richyyy has a theory that makes the most sense. There is a rule change that takes effect in 2022 that forces a team to guarantee the 4th year of a rookie contract if they pick up the option. Consequently, management has to think harder about whether they want to keep a player. In all likelihood, the Mercury front office thought this rule kicked in last season. They weren’t happy with the performance of Cunningham and Smith through their first two years, so the team decided not to pick up their options. In reality, Phoenix had another season to evaluate risk-free. Cunningham then went out and had a much better season, changing everyone’s opinion of her. And that’s how we got here: Oooops!

PostPosted: 01/13/22 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's also the element that I've also been going on about on Twitter - https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1/status/1478862276551753728?s=20 - which is that they're so close to the cap that they can't even afford Kia Nurse's qualifying offer (whether you'd want to give it to an injured player anyway is a separate question). Cunningham and Smith would've been a similar price, so they would've been forced to make roster moves to get under the cap by now. So Smith probably would've been cut anyway, but they could've kept Cunningham instead of Megan Walker, for example.

PostPosted: 01/13/22 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix waives Megan Walker.

So maybe that’s a sign they’ll keep Cunningham, if possible?

SCook

PostPosted: 01/13/22 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

They extended a Qualifying offer to Kia Nurse. I'm almost certain they'll have to move someone else to keep Sophie. But I could be wrong.

PostPosted: 01/13/22 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
Shades wrote:

They extended a Qualifying offer to Kia Nurse. I'm almost certain they'll have to move someone else to keep Sophie. But I could be wrong.

Signing for one year at the vet minimum would at least put that decision off for a while, because then it counts as a training camp contract and doesn't count on the cap until the opening day of the regular season.

And yes, the Walker move was obviously to create the room for the Nurse QO, as I explained was necessary earlier on.

PostPosted: 01/14/22 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Leaving college early really hurt her imo.

PostPosted: 01/14/22 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So which reporters got played?

Cause I ain’t see a coach.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/14/22 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there a rumor? A coaching announcement on a Friday night wouldn't inspire much confidence in me.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 01/15/22 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UK1996 wrote:
Phoenix’s owner should just whip out the cash to lure Geno, he can handle egos. I also have some moves to make for DT’s last hurrah.
Resign Cunningham
SDS, Griner, and a 1rp for Bird, Stewie, & KLS
Tina Charlie is probably desperate for a ship, offer the minimum
Turner for Gabby Williams
Offer the Max to Dolson, he always liked her
Cunningham for Hayes
Dallas would probably pay for MoJeff’s moving expenses
Come up with a package of picks for Dangerfield and the rights to Maya
Reeve’s phone goes straight to voicemail
Call up KML, give her whatever she wants
Give Stokes the rest
Sign Napheesa Collier up for Lamaze classes in Phoenix
Ban Tennessee Orange and Irish green from Talking Stick Arena

Sorry Azure UConn wasn’t your first choice and you helped CP3 win a ship you’re out.

Bird/MoJeff
Taurasi/HartleyHayes
KML/KLS
Stewie/Charles
Williams (Just like old times)/Stokes/Dolson
Guaranteed ship

Laughing Laughing Geno makes millions of dollars a year to pass all of the blame on college kids when things go wrong on the court... Why would he come to the W?

mercfan

PostPosted: 01/15/22 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Is there a rumor? A coaching announcement on a Friday night wouldn't inspire much confidence in me.

Multiple reports that a coach would have been named this week.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/15/22 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Multiple reports that a coach would have been named this week.

So many amazing candidates that it is hard to choose just one!

PostPosted: 01/17/22 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joke

PostPosted: 01/18/22 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coaching news aside, after dumping Walker, who is realistically in the Mercury market without moving any of the big three? I've always had my eye on DeShields but she may be out of our price range and we may not have a spot for her to get a bunch of playing time.

We desperately need to upgrade our post presence off the bench. Does Elizabeth Williams have a home for next year? She may be a nice fit to spot minutes for Griner.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/18/22 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Coaching news aside, after dumping Walker, who is realistically in the Mercury market without moving any of the big three? I've always had my eye on DeShields but she may be out of our price range and we may not have a spot for her to get a bunch of playing time.

We desperately need to upgrade our post presence off the bench. Does Elizabeth Williams have a home for next year? She may be a nice fit to spot minutes for Griner.

If they're keeping Vaughn at her current price, plus Taurasi/Griner/SDS/Hartley, it's basically people who'll play for the minimum. And ideally the 0-2 Years of Service minimum. They can only afford one on the 3+ minimum, and right now that's Shey Peddy.

PostPosted: 01/18/22 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
mercfan wrote:

If they're keeping Vaughn at her current price, plus Taurasi/Griner/SDS/Hartley, it's basically people who'll play for the minimum. And ideally the 0-2 Years of Service minimum. They can only afford one on the 3+ minimum, and right now that's Shey Peddy.

Well damn.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/18/22 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
mercfan wrote:

Well damn.

You can see why I fully expected Vaughn to have been waived by now. That 40k more than her minimum that she's on could be a really useful sum for Phoenix's situation.

PostPosted: 01/18/22 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
mercfan wrote:

Well damn.

I think cutting Vaughn is an essential move at this point. Not sure if Peddy is worth being the only person we can afford at the 3+ minimum either.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/18/22 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man this new salary cap is gonna make free agency dull and brutal going forward.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 6 of 24

Jump to: