Tanisha Wright
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiseone1

PostPosted: 10/12/21 7:46 am    ::: Tanisha Wright Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/khristina2334/status/1447783047441616896?s=21

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/12/21 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to T! Very Happy I’m guessing she’ll just be the head coach and not a coach/GM combo.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/12/21 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If it's true, I like the idea for Atlanta.

Among other things, I like what it would mean for the make up of the league's coaching ranks. Wright would make four former players as head coaches, which is a good thing. It would also mean three Black women as coaches. That's still not enough in a league that runs primarily on the labor of Black women players, but it's an important step.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 10/12/21 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

T strikes me as a no nonsense person which is exactly what the Dream needs in a head coach. Darius Taylor is a nice man, but was woefully in over his head with Atl’s player drama.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 10/12/21 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ooooh, I like this! Don't tease me basketball karma. Let this be true Smile

pilight

PostPosted: 10/12/21 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://dream.wnba.com/news/atlanta-dream-names-tanisha-wright-as-head-coach/

PostPosted: 10/12/21 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Among other things, I like what it would mean for the make up of the league's coaching ranks. Wright would make four former players as head coaches, which is a good thing. It would also mean three Black women as coaches. That's still not enough in a league that runs primarily on the labor of Black women players, but it's an important step.

Well said, right on the mark.

As a Liberty fan, I hope that someday Tanisha Wright will be OUR head coach. But, for the moment, this is wonderful news.

PostPosted: 10/12/21 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Renee finally making positive moves !

PostPosted: 10/12/21 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for her. I wish she would get more time to develop before getting thrust into a no-win situation like this but I wish her well.

Milks26

PostPosted: 10/12/21 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Good for her. I wish she would get more time to develop before getting thrust into a no-win situation like this but I wish her well.

Yeah, she's been as asst in Vegas what 1-2 yrs. Make a run of it I guess.

PostPosted: 10/12/21 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Wright was also an assistant at UNC Charlotte for a season or two.

PostPosted: 10/12/21 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Wright was also an assistant at UNC Charlotte for a season or two.

okay

PostPosted: 10/12/21 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was thinking they would go the well respected player route

the fact that they also brought in someone with coaching experience is a plus

pilight

PostPosted: 10/12/21 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is shaping up to be the best coaching hire of the off-season

PostPosted: 10/12/21 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish her well
Lets see how she cleans up the mess left her in Atlanta

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/12/21 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Hopefully.....

PostPosted: 10/13/21 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:

It's the only coaching hire of the off-season. Unless there's another head coach that got fired or resigned that I don't know about.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/13/21 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:

It's the only coaching hire of the off-season. Unless there's another head coach that got fired or resigned that I don't know about.

It could still happen. Wouldn’t it make more sense to find better candidate(s) before firing what you have? It might be hard to keep the process a secret, but oh well.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
undersized_post

PostPosted: 10/13/21 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This news couldn't have come at a better time for an organization that badly needed some good PR to change the narrative from the Courtney Williams stuff.

PostPosted: 10/13/21 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
This news couldn't have come at a better time for an organization that badly needed some good PR to change the narrative from the Courtney Williams stuff.

Agree-especially given the fact that this is a slam dunk hire. Tanisha was a workhorse, a great teammate, and played some pivotal(but not starring) roles on some great teams.

Atlanta has a GOLDEN opportunity, if they draft right the next three seasons, to be very good if they nurture this rebuild the right way.

Keep Carter, get Na'Lyssa Smith and Alliyah Boston. Done. LOL

shontay33

PostPosted: 10/14/21 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
I wish her well
Lets see how she cleans up the mess left her in Atlanta

She didn't create the mess so she shouldn't have to be the cleanup person. It is up to the ownership group to make things right for their fans which means that there needs to be patience from the fans and the ownership group. This is a great hire because she is not that far removed from playing and will have the ear of young players and whatever vets they decide to keep or bring on.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 10/14/21 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
She didn't create the mess so she shouldn't have to be the cleanup person. It is up to the ownership group to make things right for their fans which means that there needs to be patience from the fans and the ownership group. This is a great hire because she is not that far removed from playing and will have the ear of young players and whatever vets they decide to keep or bring on.

You are entirely right... but in our hideous sports world it is too common for sports media figures and fans to put the blame on a coach even when it's patently unfair. As a Liberty fan, I love Tanisha Wright and am thrilled that she's been hired as a head coach. I just hope she isn't blamed for not instantly and magically cleaning up the mess that others have created in Atlanta.

PostPosted: 10/14/21 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is next for Atl

A) Wright and After have some meetings. Carter is excited to return to the tema and play for a respected player and Wright is excited to mentor a great talent who plays the same position and has over lapping styles

or

B) Carter and her agent demand a trade and Wright and the GM make a decent trade for a new young player that can be a new building block for the future along with this years lottery pick

Also

What vet free agent could Wright being the new coach influence to come to the team and be a veteran leader to change the narrative and help the young talent grow

my short list
Fowles, Charles
the return of Angel for a farewell tour?

What could be a more positive narrative than new coach Wright inspires veteran players she has worked with in the past Charles and McCoughtry to team up with reformed Carter, up and coming McDonald and this years lottery pick (Howard, Smith, Austin) to create a balanced veteran/youth team looking for respect and redemption. surrounded a group of decent/hungry experienced role players Ch. Parker, Hayes, Sims, Billings, Dietrick, and pick 14

Carter/McDonald
Hayes/Sims/2nd round pick #14 (Henderson, Allen-Taylor or Hull)
McCoughtry/Dietrick
lottery pick (Howard, N. Smith or Austin)/Billings
Charles/Ch. Parker

obviously mix and match as you please
I am only slightly serious but that would create a redemption story a McCoughtry farewell tour story and there are a lot of players on that list with talent but not a lot of respect so an underdog us against the league kind of story as well
(Probably should have put this in the Atl 22 thread oh well)

root_thing

PostPosted: 10/15/21 1:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a difference between being well respected and having the charisma or star power to attract others. Wright was a decent player, but I doubt anyone had her picture hanging on their wall. She also has no track record as a head coach. People will not be flocking to Atlanta just to play for Tanisha Wright. What the Dream do have that will attract interest is lots of open roster spots and a shitload of cap space.

PostPosted: 10/15/21 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
There's a difference between being well respected and having the charisma or star power to attract others. Wright was a decent player, but I doubt anyone had her picture hanging on their wall. She also has no track record as a head coach. People will not be flocking to Atlanta just to play for Tanisha Wright. What the Dream do have that will attract interest is lots of open roster spots and a shitload of cap space.

I agree that they will be able to pay someone or a couple players more then they would get somewhere else.

The Wright angle is less about charisma and star power and more "I wouldn't consider Atlanta before but I know Tanisha and feel confident that Atlanta is going in the Wright direction (pun intended) and Wright will be a players coach I will enjoy playing for. And from my first hand experience of working with her I trust her and respect her knowledge and work ethic. Wright seems like a good choice to make Atl relevant again."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: