View previous topic :: View next topic  
shontay33

PostPosted: 10/10/21 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
Lish ain't leaving just yet.

I'd move on from Cambage if I was Vegas though

Two things:

1. Wilson was exposed a bit. She either has to develop a perimeter game and morph herself into a stretch 4 or dump Cambage, get her a stretch 4 that doesn't need to play in the lane and just have her be the 5. Those two, with the games they have now-are just not good together. It works in the regular season, but not a playoff series. When Phx was at full roster in games 1, 2, and 3....Wilson was almost a non factor. She couldn't do much with a defensive post game like Phx because she is a bit one dimensional. She is a great player-but she is a 5 that plays the 4, on a team with an elite 5.

2. Do whatever you have to do to maximize Chelsea Gray-she is the most talented player on the roster and she was better in LA.

Disagree with#1. Aja Wilson doesn’t need to morph herself into a stretch 4. She should continue to do what she has done. Her play got her MVP. Could she rebound better, yes. Her playing the way that she has is why the team is built the way that it is. The problem is that they need to move on from Cambage. There were stretches when she was out, Vegas still got it done. So they really don’t need her. To put this on Wilson is a bit much.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/11/21 4:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Two things:

1. Wilson was exposed a bit. She either has to develop a perimeter game and morph herself into a stretch 4 or dump Cambage, get her a stretch 4 that doesn't need to play in the lane and just have her be the 5. Those two, with the games they have now-are just not good together. It works in the regular season, but not a playoff series. When Phx was at full roster in games 1, 2, and 3....Wilson was almost a non factor. She couldn't do much with a defensive post game like Phx because she is a bit one dimensional. She is a great player-but she is a 5 that plays the 4, on a team with an elite 5.

2. Do whatever you have to do to maximize Chelsea Gray-she is the most talented player on the roster and she was better in LA.

Disagree with#1. Aja Wilson doesn’t need to morph herself into a stretch 4. She should continue to do what she has done. Her play got her MVP. Could she rebound better, yes. Her playing the way that she has is why the team is built the way that it is. The problem is that they need to move on from Cambage. There were stretches when she was out, Vegas still got it done. So they really don’t need her. To put this on Wilson is a bit much.

If she really is an MVP and wants to be mentioned among players like Griner, Stewie etc. then she should be able to win a championship with the players that she has on her team. She has the 2nd best center in the world, top 3 pointguard in the world and 2x 6th player of the year players on her team. Come on now! Every player is evolving their game. Trying to improve. She should do the same. Im not saying a stretch 4 but she should extend her range and not only be a midrange shooter. Because that will help her own game and others.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/11/21 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Two things:

If she really is an MVP and wants to be mentioned among players like Griner, Stewie etc. then she should be able to win a championship with the players that she has on her team. She has the 2nd best center in the world, top 3 pointguard in the world and 2x 6th player of the year players on her team. Come on now! Every player is evolving their game. Trying to improve. She should do the same. Im not saying a stretch 4 but she should extend her range and not only be a midrange shooter. Because that will help her own game and others.

Even her midrange shot is not that stable/consistent. It also looks too flat. She definitely needs to improve her game. She has always just depended on her height and athleticism to get to the rim, which works well most of the time. But yes, to be really elite, she needs to work on her game.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 10/11/21 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For what it's worth Wilson was 1-1 from 3 this season and if I remember correctly there was a tik tok of her hitting 3s in practice during the preseason. IMO, the problem isn't that she can't shoot from the outside, it's that she's not allowed to.

The Aces attempted 120 less 3s than any other team in the league and 455 less 3s than New York. Bill needs to evolve his system and value the 3 more. They looked amazing in Game 4 when the Gray, Plum and Williams were ripping it but that's an anomaly.

PostPosted: 10/11/21 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
For what it's worth Wilson was 1-1 from 3 this season and if I remember correctly there was a tik tok of her hitting 3s in practice during the preseason. IMO, the problem isn't that she can't shoot from the outside, it's that she's not allowed to.

The Aces attempted 120 less 3s than any other team in the league and 455 less 3s than New York. Bill needs to evolve his system and value the 3 more. They looked amazing in Game 4 when the Gray, Plum and Williams were ripping it but that's an anomaly.

I agree that LV needs to shoot more 3s. Jackie Young is a liability to that idea. Of course, Dearica having a subpar playoffs was the most glaring reason they lost the series. The 6POY for two years running could have been the 7POY since her teammate beat her off the bench to take the 6POY award from her.

~rAf
Milks26

PostPosted: 10/11/21 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Hamby has been non existent before the playoffs began

Yes, Aja does need to evolve her game. When you're stuck in a comfort zone for too long you eventually get picked off.

Liz is in the way. I'm sure she would love to play in LA or the Sky if they can afford her.

PostPosted: 10/11/21 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think I heard one of the announcers say something about Hamby playing hurt during some late season or playoff game.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/12/21 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I think I heard one of the announcers say something about Hamby playing hurt during some late season or playoff game.

She missed 3 games in late Aug/early Sept due to an ankle sprain. She seemed to be back at 100% by the playoffs.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/12/21 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone whose playoff performance can’t be let off the hook here is Jackie Young’s. She went from averaging 12 PPG on 50% FG in the regular season, to less than 6 PPG on 33% FG in the playoffs. And her scoring game is virtually all midrange shots – it’s not like it’s mostly at the rim stuff that Griner & Turner would’ve for sure eaten up. And the longer she stays in Vegas (or Laimbeer does), the less likely it gets that she too will develop a 3PT shot someday.

shontay33

PostPosted: 10/12/21 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Thank You!!! Many times, people assume that it is the player when the coach actually has a system in place. A great coach always puts their players in position where they are most effective and helping the team. The way Vegas is built, they didn't need Wilson shooting three pointers. They needed her in the post especially when Cambage was out.

I think the system is fine. Sometimes , shooting too many threes can hurt you and make your team less efficient ( See Phoenix Mercury!!) and give the other team an advantage.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/12/21 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Good luck convincing a coach that got his team to the league semifinals three straight years, despite massive turnover in all three seasons, Top 2 records, two years in a row, and within 2:09 of back-to-back WNBA Finals appearances, that he needs to evolve his system.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
ucbart

PostPosted: 10/13/21 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Thank You!!! Many times, people assume that it is the player when the coach actually has a system in place. A great coach always puts their players in position where they are most effective and helping the team. The way Vegas is built, they didn't need Wilson shooting three pointers. They needed her in the post especially when Cambage was out.

I think the system is fine. Sometimes , shooting too many threes can hurt you and make your team less efficient ( See Phoenix Mercury!!) and give the other team an advantage.

And even more times, people's devotion and love to a player blind them. If you think Wilson's game is perfect, carry on. But I bet you $1,000 she doesn't think so and will probably work on things I suggested in my post(not because of me, obvi, but because she needs to).

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/13/21 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

And even more times, people's devotion and love to a player blind them. If you think Wilson's game is perfect, carry on. But I bet you $1,000 she doesn't think so and will probably work on things I suggested in my post(not because of me, obvi, but because she needs to).

When at SC, Wilson reportedly tried to convince Dawn to play her as a wing and not a post. I'm sure she's worked on her outside game. Like Jackie Young, Wilson is playing the role that Laimbeer has given her, and it doesn't include being a 3-point shooter in either case.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/13/21 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
ucbart wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

When at SC, Wilson reportedly tried to convince Dawn to play her as a wing and not a post. I'm sure she's worked on her outside game. Like Jackie Young, Wilson is playing the role that Laimbeer has given her, and it doesn't include being a 3-point shooter in either case.

Yes Aja needs to expand her range and get better with her back to the basket. Playing face up from high post becomes very predictable to stop after so many years .

PostPosted: 10/14/21 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Not in this case. Nor is it about devotion to a particular player. All of us have different observations.
Not sure if you have played on a team but I'm sure you have worked with others in a group but you know that everyone has a part in completing a project. People who are good at certain things are given those duties to do in order to complete the task. That doesn't mean that they may not be good at other things, it means that it what the group needs this particular person to do in order to complete the task. Asia is and has done what is needed and asked of her by her coach. Shooting threes is not one of those things so move past her sitting outside and chucking up threes in their system.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/14/21 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I repeat. It's not just about the threes. She needs to work on her midrange game. She tries to dive to the basket 90% of the time so it's relatively easy to know what she is going to do. Look at her midrange shot. Yeah, sometimes it falls, but it's always very flat like a push shot. Her % should be much higher when most of her shots are within 6' of the basket. Nobody is saying she's not a really high quality player, but she clearly has aspects of her game that need work. Look at Griner. She was already very very good, but has expanded her game every year. A'ja can and should do that too. Top players are always working on their game.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 10/14/21 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A'ja definitely still have time to and will improve, but coaching and system are a factor in the WAY she performs. But I'm not worried about her. She's only 25 and, hey's she's already got a better career shooting % than Tina Charles Cool

PostPosted: 11/02/21 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.sportsvideo.org/2021/10/27/3-point-productions-plays-major-role-in-popularity-of-wnbas-las-vegas-aces/

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 11/02/21 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2021/11/four-time-wnba-all-star-olympic-gold-medalist-and-former-blue-devil-chelsea-gray-joins-acc-networks-womens-basketball-team/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=four-time-wnba-all-star-olympic-gold-medalist-and-former-blue-devil-chelsea-gray-joins-acc-networks-womens-basketball-team

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 11/02/21 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2021/11/four-time-wnba-all-star-olympic-gold-medalist-and-former-blue-devil-chelsea-gray-joins-acc-networks-womens-basketball-team/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=four-time-wnba-all-star-olympic-gold-medalist-and-former-blue-devil-chelsea-gray-joins-acc-networks-womens-basketball-team

Nice!!

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 11/04/21 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ball Is Life podcast featuring Kiah Stokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW9w2ZsAXm4&t=754s

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/05/21 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:

Nice!!

I saw her first time yesterday and thought she did fine. Didn't see a lot of it but the part I did see she didn't look like a newbie at all.

willtalk

PostPosted: 12/06/21 6:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It didn't help that the GM decided to endulge himself and draft a developmental point guard instead of a catch and shoot 3point scoring threat. He drafted Slocum based on the fact that she impressed him in a game against UConn her freshman season. A wasted draft pick when a 450 3 pt shooter like Goodman was still on the board who could also play the point in a pinch. What the team needed this season was someone who could hit the 3 with a quick release and Slocum was not that. Most people had Goodman projected to go to the Aces because of that need. Their GM is a moron. Probably a drining buddy of Davis.

PostPosted: 12/06/21 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I repeat. It's not just about the threes. She needs to work on her midrange game. She tries to dive to the basket 90% of the time so it's relatively easy to know what she is going to do. Look at her midrange shot. Yeah, sometimes it falls, but it's always very flat like a push shot. Her % should be much higher when most of her shots are within 6' of the basket. Nobody is saying she's not a really high quality player, but she clearly has aspects of her game that need work. Look at Griner. She was already very very good, but has expanded her game every year. A'ja can and should do that too. Top players are always working on their game.

I have seen Wilson drive to the basket from up top a lot and she is very good at drawing fouls. But I have also seen her shoot a ton of mid range jump shots with great accuracy. This video they made of her 2020 season is almost exclusively jump shots, from both inside 15 feet and outside 15 feet.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/__DPWEWp0t4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by tfan on 12/06/21 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/06/21 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
It didn't help that the GM decided to endulge himself and draft a developmental point guard instead of a catch and shoot 3point scoring threat. He drafted Slocum based on the fact that she impressed him in a game against UConn her freshman season. A wasted draft pick when a 450 3 pt shooter like Goodman was still on the board who could also play the point in a pinch. What the team needed this season was someone who could hit the 3 with a quick release and Slocum was not that. Most people had Goodman projected to go to the Aces because of that need. Their GM is a moron. Probably a drining buddy of Davis.

You forgot to mention that Padover signed Chelsea Gray and Riquna Williams a few weeks before drafting Slocum.

Speaking of GM, has a replacement been announced yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: