Board Junkies Forums

Las Vegas Aces 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
willtalk

PostPosted: 04/12/22 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
willtalk wrote:
What the Aces needed was a three pt shooter not a developmental PG who depends on screens or picks to score.

Who, pray tell, is this unicorn we should have taken in the second round last year?

Very Happy
How about the player who was mocked to them predraft -- Goodman from Oregon St. Do you deny that the GM said that was the reason he went off script and need and draftee Slocum because of what he saw in her game as a freshman against UConn? They did not need a developmental PG but another 3pt threat. That GM knew nothing about women's basketball and was more than likely a drinking buddy of Davis.

PostPosted: 04/13/22 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
willtalk wrote:
What the Aces needed was a three pt shooter not a developmental PG who depends on screens or picks to score.

Who, pray tell, is this unicorn we should have taken in the second round last year?

Very Happy

willtalk wrote:
How about the player who was mocked to them predraft -- Goodman from Oregon St.

The same Goodman who ... checks inter webs ... played 3 minutes in 1 game for the Connecticut Sun? Pretty sure we got more out of Destiny than that.

willtalk wrote:
Do you deny that the GM said that was the reason he went off script and need and draftee Slocum because of what he saw in her game as a freshman against UConn?

I do. Here is the article. You are way over-selling it.

https://www.fox16.com/sports/local-sports/las-vegas-aces-gm-lays-out-plan-for-destiny-slocum-this-season/

willtalk wrote:
That GM knew nothing about women's basketball and was more than likely a drinking buddy of Davis.

That GM is a two-time WNBA executive of the year with a decade of experience in the league. And Mark Davis doesn't drink. Dan is my drinking buddy.

Very Happy

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/16/22 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces add rookie free agent center Nancy Mulkey, finalize Training Camp roster

Faustine Aifuwa
Kierstan Bell
Kalani Brown
Sydney Colson
Chelsea Gray
Dearica Hamby
Mya Hollingshed
Nancy Mulkey
Theresa Plaisance*
Kelsey Plum
Khayla Pointer
Aisha Sheppard
Kiah Stokes*
Riquna Williams
A'ja Wilson
Deja Winters
Jackie Young

*will be arriving late due to overseas commitments

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/16/22 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No Ji-Su Park? Is she headed for another team's camp? She just won the season MVP award in the Korean League.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/16/22 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
No Ji-Su Park? Is she headed for another team's camp? She just won the season MVP award in the Korean League.

Vegas still have her exclusive rights but she's out of contract and never re-signed. Might be concentrating on the World Cup this year instead, I suppose.

PostPosted: 04/18/22 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces waive Kalani Brown

PostPosted: 04/18/22 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Aces waive Kalani Brown

Another one bites the dust.😢

PostPosted: 04/18/22 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Aces waive Kalani Brown

If she showed up to camp, that was a quick decision.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Queenie

PostPosted: 04/19/22 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The word is that she's injured; whether she tore her meniscus in camp or showed up with it torn is unclear.

PostPosted: 04/19/22 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they want height, Ruth Hamblin, now Davis, is probably available. I think Big Bill took a look at her a few years back. I think she plays for a Eurocup team but no idea how she's doing.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/19/22 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don’t worry, Myrtle. Everybody forgot about Rupert.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/aces/becky-hammon-begins-1st-training-camp-with-aces-2562638/

Quote:
Williams said Hammon’s enthusiasm has been evident, especially as she prepares to install a new system and scheme for the Aces.

Quote:
While the majority of the Aces’ players began camp Sunday, several won’t arrive until closer to the beginning of the season. Forward Theresa Plaisance, center Kiah Stokes and 2021 first-round draft pick Iliana Rupert will return from playing abroad during the preseason, giving several of the team’s rookies and younger players a chance to prove themselves.

Quote:
Williams acknowledged the rookies will have a hard time making the roster, especially those selected after the first round.

Interesting perspective considering they felt a need to trade for two picks… but they may have wasted that #8 pick. Green Manager.

Quote:
The Aces signed their second undrafted free agent Saturday, bringing in Nancy Mulkey, a 6-foot-9-inch center from the University of Washington.

Hammon was an undrafted rookie herself, so she may give them a fair shot.

Quote:
Hammon put the finishing touches on her first coaching staff Saturday by hiring assistant Charlene Thomas-Swinson.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/19/22 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Don’t worry, Myrtle. Everybody forgot about Rupert.

mea culpa. lots of people on here were hot for her last year but I can never tell about young foreign players. hope she works out for them.

looking at her highlights, she looks a bit stiff, but apparently can shoot the three, so that will be helpful. At least in the highlights, she didn't appear to play back to the basket so no moves along those lines.

Last edited by myrtle on 04/19/22 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/19/22 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Quote:
Hammon put the finishing touches on her first coaching staff Saturday by hiring assistant Charlene Thomas-Swinson.

more nepotism. Rolling Eyes

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/19/22 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know what the endgame is to letting these French-League players come in late. It's fine this year, and the players may enjoy their time here; but when the Priority Clause comes a-knockin', no one should expect them to choose showing up to Camp on time vs. finishing up play in their home League. Unless the French League makes a conscious effort to have its season finish earlier moving forward, I don't see a long-term investment in these players paying off.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/19/22 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure Rupert is good enough to merit holding a roster spot for even without considering her Frenchness

PostPosted: 04/19/22 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I'm not sure Rupert is good enough to merit holding a roster spot for even without considering her Frenchness

I'm not the biggest Rupert fan in the world but she's talented, big, and not even 21 yet. I'd sure as hell rather have that than the proven mediocrity of someone like Plaisance.

Also Rupert hasn't actually signed yet, so they could use that first month of the season to decide who to cut. Often when someone is showing up late the cut becomes obvious while the team is waiting.

PostPosted: 04/19/22 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces also waived Faustine Aifuwa and Deja Winters

PostPosted: 04/19/22 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

more nepotism. :roll:

Nepotism? To the best of my knowledge, Hammon and Thomas-Swinson have never played or coached together: what am I missing?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 04/19/22 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

I'm not the biggest Rupert fan in the world but she's talented, big, and not even 21 yet. I'd sure as hell rather have that than the proven mediocrity of someone like Plaisance.

Also Rupert hasn't actually signed yet, so they could use that first month of the season to decide who to cut. Often when someone is showing up late the cut becomes obvious while the team is waiting.

The assumption is that the obvious cut wouldn't be Rupert. She's averaging 13 ppg in a league where Alexis Peterson is a star and getting fewer boards as Evelyn Akhator. That's doesn't seem like someone deserving of a guaranteed roster spot after skipping training camp.

PostPosted: 04/19/22 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

The assumption is that the obvious cut wouldn't be Rupert. She's averaging 13 ppg in a league where Alexis Peterson is a star and getting fewer boards as Evelyn Akhator. That's doesn't seem like someone deserving of a guaranteed roster spot after skipping training camp.

Alternative perspective: She's the leading scorer and rebounder on the team that is running away with the regular season league title, and recently won the EuroCup, at 20 years old. The counting stats are hurt by Bourges's depth of talent, compared to teams where the first, second and third play is "throw it to the American".

I agree the timing isn't great, and I'm sure Vegas would rather be bringing her into camp first. But she's worth taking a look at for the sake of whoever else would be in their 12th roster spot (who'll likely be available to re-sign anyway, even if Rupert turned out to be completely worthless).

PostPosted: 04/19/22 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

more nepotism. Rolling Eyes

Nepotism? To the best of my knowledge, Hammon and Thomas-Swinson have never played or coached together: what am I missing?

Nikki Fargas. Same reason they drafted LSU players.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 04/19/22 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Then why was Hammon given credit for the hire?

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/19/22 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Who else would they claim made the hire? I'm not saying it was a bad hire. I have no idea one way or the other. But my money would be that Fargas made a strong recommendation. I don't think Hammon would hire someone she didn't think was a good candidate. OTOH I'm sure she wants to stay on the good side of Fargas and this might be a hopefully painfree way to do so, just like drafting LSU players. Just saying it has a strong flashing light of nepotism...which of course happens everywhere in the business world. If I were one of the other candidates and thought my resume was a lot stronger, I would certainly not be a happy camper.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 04/19/22 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Who else would they claim made the hire?

Fargas?

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/19/22 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

Who else would they claim made the hire?

Fargas?

Has any team ever claimed that somebody besides the coach hired an assistant?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: