Las Vegas Aces 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TigerVol

PostPosted: 01/01/22 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
TigerVol wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Like I said before, if Hammon took the Liberty job she'd be working for the owners of the Nets. It would keep her visible to owners who have made a big deal about supporting opportunities for women. But in the end, it may be as simple as having a bird in hand -- LVA offered Becky a lucrative contract and she decided to take the money and run.

I'm not an aces fan but it seems they've done things right. Isn't like it is a last place team with a history of running on the cheap or not supporting the players that suddenethrew a bunch of cash her way.

Maybe she likes the investment in front office personnel?

I never suggested that LVA was a bad organization. I was just pointing out that rather than waiting for an NBA HC job, getting a relatively high-paying WNBA position could still be a huge bump in pay. Stretch that out over the rumored five years, and the money starts looking too big to walk away from in exchange for the hopes of getting an NBA position. Like I said, a bird in hand.

As for investing in the front office, we see names recognizable to women's basketball fans but not necessarily filling jobs where they have a clear history of success. What in Nikki Fargas's background makes her such a great hire as President? Jennifer Azzi has an OK-looking resume for development, but how do we judge what she did for the University of San Francisco and the NBA Academy? And Blair Hardiek is obviously attached to Azzi both personally and professionally. She probably wouldn't be here without Azzi. These women may all end up doing a wonderful job, but I don't see how any of them are so impressive at the moment relative to their new responsibilites.

No, you suggested she took the LV job over new York because of the money.

And maybe she did - but as a fan of neither team I'd say LV has done more of late to invigorate and market their franchise.

Front office seemingly includes Bill as GM too?

The people may or may not succeed but they are likely paying for these known names to fill a lot of roles other franchises either ignore or combine into fewer people...and marketing will be HUGE so having visible names won't likely hurt.

PostPosted: 01/01/22 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TigerVol wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Like I said before, if Hammon took the Liberty job she'd be working for the owners of the Nets. It would keep her visible to owners who have made a big deal about supporting opportunities for women. But in the end, it may be as simple as having a bird in hand -- LVA offered Becky a lucrative contract and she decided to take the money and run.

I'm not an aces fan but it seems they've done things right. Isn't like it is a last place team with a history of running on the cheap or not supporting the players that suddenethrew a bunch of cash her way.

Maybe she likes the investment in front office personnel?

I don’t know if it’s because he’s the newest owner, but Mark Davis seems to be the most generous owner. If you recall, he refunded season ticket owners and they got to keep their tickets. Also, remember that the Vegas organization came from San Antonio, and they honored all the past players including Hammon. So I’m pretty sure it’s less about the money (Joe can’t compete?) and more about her connection to the franchise. You also have the Stars-Spurs connection, so maybe it makes it easier for her to stay more connected to the Spurs if that job were to open and she were still interested.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_6NbkoSL_nw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 01/02/22 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TigerVol wrote:

In re-reading my sentence, maybe I did. However, it wasn't the only point. I was also addressing the NBA vs WNBA debate. As far as the LVA vs NY choice goes, it wouldn't surprise me if LVA offered more money. Here's my theory. Mark Davis inherited his wealth from his father Al. I don't know much about him, but based on the little I can find on the internet, he has never worked for anyone other than his family. You're talking about a guy who never had to earn his own money, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's more carefree about throwing it around.

As for Joe Tsai, his boss Jack Ma made some critical comments about Chinese financial authorities back in November 2020. That unleashed a crackdown on all wealthy Chinese entrepreneurs and their businesses --especially Alibaba. The company's planned spin-off of their financial unit, which would have been a record-breaking $34.5 billion deal, suddenly went POOF! The Chinese authorities blocked it two days after Ma's comments. Omnipresent Jack Ma then disappeared and people thought he was either in prison or maybe even dead. He did eventually reappear a couple of months later but has since maintained a low profile. Meanwhile, these events frightened off Wall Street, and Alibaba stock tanked from a high of $307 to the current $119. That means Joe Tsai has probably lost 60% of his fortune on paper. While he's still a billionaire, and no one should be crying for him, I think it is still psychologically sobering. Tsai is probably in no mood to make grand gestures like overpaying for a coach. It would not surprise me if the Liberty actually got outbid.

As far as overall commitment to the franchise goes, the fact that the Liberty were reinstalled in a nearly 18,000 seat arena while drawing less than 2,000 fans shows a tangible financial investment. They are clearly losing a lot of money. We have seen an increase in sponsorships, and players like Laney, Richards, and Onyenwere appear to be all over town. Just as important, I don't think any franchise has been more active in promoting the social justice causes that the players support. The Liberty have sponsored numerous forum discussions. Jocelyn Willoughby even ran a book club from Israel that focused on social justice issues. There has been a lot of commnuity grassroots work. During the pandemic, Tsai was able to secure and donate a huge amount of much needed supplies: 2000 ventilators, 2.6 million masks, and 170,000 goggles. The Liberty may not be hiring flashy big names, but they're doing a lot of good work locally.

PostPosted: 01/03/22 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
TigerVol wrote:

In re-reading my sentence, maybe I did. However, it wasn't the only point. I was also addressing the NBA vs WNBA debate. As far as the LVA vs NY choice goes, it wouldn't surprise me if LVA offered more money. Here's my theory. Mark Davis inherited his wealth from his father Al. I don't know much about him, but based on the little I can find on the internet, he has never worked for anyone other than his family. You're talking about a guy who never had to earn his own money, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's more carefree about throwing it around.

As for Joe Tsai, his boss Jack Ma made some critical comments about Chinese financial authorities back in November 2020. That unleashed a crackdown on all wealthy Chinese entrepreneurs and their businesses --especially Alibaba. The company's planned spin-off of their financial unit, which would have been a record-breaking $34.5 billion deal, suddenly went POOF! The Chinese authorities blocked it two days after Ma's comments. Omnipresent Jack Ma then disappeared and people thought he was either in prison or maybe even dead. He did eventually reappear a couple of months later but has since maintained a low profile. Meanwhile, these events frightened off Wall Street, and Alibaba stock tanked from a high of $307 to the current $119. That means Joe Tsai has probably lost 60% of his fortune on paper. While he's still a billionaire, and no one should be crying for him, I think it is still psychologically sobering. Tsai is probably in no mood to make grand gestures like overpaying for a coach. It would not surprise me if the Liberty actually got outbid.

As far as overall commitment to the franchise goes, the fact that the Liberty were reinstalled in a nearly 18,000 seat arena while drawing less than 2,000 fans shows a tangible financial investment. They are clearly losing a lot of money. We have seen an increase in sponsorships, and players like Laney, Richards, and Onyenwere appear to be all over town. Just as important, I don't think any franchise has been more active in promoting the social justice causes that the players support. The Liberty have sponsored numerous forum discussions. Jocelyn Willoughby even ran a book club from Israel that focused on social justice issues. There has been a lot of commnuity grassroots work. During the pandemic, Tsai was able to secure and donate a huge amount of much needed supplies: 2000 ventilators, 2.6 million masks, and 170,000 goggles. The Liberty may not be hiring flashy big names, but they're doing a lot of good work locally.

DC has gone all in on social justice issues, including having one of their jerseys represent women's equality. I'd say Atlanta has also done a lot for social justice issues, just ask Sen. Rev. Warnock. Maybe all 3 teams are tied for the amount of social justice work they do.

root_thing

PostPosted: 01/03/22 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, I'll settle for a 3-way tie with each team contributing in a different way. Smile

PostPosted: 01/05/22 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nba-underestimated-becky-hammon-now-213238866.html

The NBA underestimated Becky Hammon. Now she's taking her talents where everyone knows her worth.

I like this take. I'm glad we got Becky back. This should absolutely be viewed as a failure by the NBA and THEIR loss, not as a failure or step down on the part of Becky.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/05/22 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No one has any real idea if Becky's going to be a good head coach. Plenty of well-regarded assistants have ended up being dreadful when they move over a seat. The WNBA "knows her worth"? As a player, sure. As a coach, who the hell knows.

PostPosted: 01/05/22 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
No one has any real idea if Becky's going to be a good head coach. Plenty of well-regarded assistants have ended up being dreadful when they move over a seat. The WNBA "knows her worth"? As a player, sure. As a coach, who the hell knows.

She is worth getting a shot and that's the whole point. Sur, she could fail with the Aces or with whatever lottery pick team she'd get in the NBA. Her worth is that she is deserving of a chance and the NBA failed.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 01/05/22 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

The NBA underestimated Becky Hammon. Now she's taking her talents where everyone knows her worth.

I like this take. I'm glad we got Becky back. This should absolutely be viewed as a failure by the NBA and THEIR loss, not as a failure or step down on the part of Becky.

X__________________ !

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 01/12/22 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces Hire Deandra Duggans as Vice President of Brand Marketing

https://aces.wnba.com/news/aces-hire-deandra-duggans-as-vice-president-of-brand-marketing/

StevenHW

PostPosted: 01/12/22 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

The writer (Akiem Bailum) of the following article agrees.

http://beyondthew.com/becky-hammon-to-las-vegas-aces-wnbas-gain-is-nbas-loss/

PostPosted: 01/14/22 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3yaUIO1tVpY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 01/14/22 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 01/22/22 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/GabyLopMar/status/1484645740072693760

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 01/31/22 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.thenexthoops.com/features/she-got-next-episode-42-pepper-talks-to-jennifer-azzi/

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 02/02/22 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://aces.wnba.com/news/aces-re-sign-2020-wnba-mvp-aja-wilson/

Milks26

PostPosted: 02/03/22 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/WNBA/status/1489401689526484994

https://twitter.com/WNBA/status/1489393663155314688/photo/1

Stokes & Riquna resigned

PostPosted: 02/03/22 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces Owner Mark Davis Agrees ‘100 Percent’ With Liz Cambage’s That WNBA Players Deserve More Money

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/mark-davis-las-vegas-aces-agrees-liz-cambage-pay-players-more/

Good article. Maybe he’ll push other billionaires into investing in the league.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/03/22 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With it looking like Gabby Williams will be showing up in Seattle and at least rumbles that Johannes might be showing up in NYmaybe LV can get Rupert to come over that would be a nice post addition without spending a lot fo money

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 02/03/22 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/rSP63etoRJo

Today’s A’ja Wilson press conference.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/12/22 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jisu Park with a triple double today against Brazil.
Might be a good idea to get her signed.

Milks26

PostPosted: 02/12/22 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alright Jisu was on fire

PostPosted: 02/15/22 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces sign Kalani Brown to a training camp contract.

https://aces.wnba.com/news/aces-sign-6-7-center-kalani-brown/

PostPosted: 02/15/22 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Aces sign Kalani Brown to a training camp contract.

https://aces.wnba.com/news/aces-sign-6-7-center-kalani-brown/

Based on her play in the AU league I figured someone would come calling.

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 02/24/22 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://aces.wnba.com/news/aces-add-former-clippers-assistant-natalie-nakase-to-coaching-staff/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: