RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Las Vegas Aces 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFWub2018

PostPosted: 12/28/21 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
There seems to be a pretty significant discrepancy between what @DFWub2018 says her salary is, and what @johnjohnW says Google says her salary is.

ESPN wrote an article about her about a month ago and listed her salary as $750,000.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 12/28/21 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is that the same Voepel article that @root_thing referenced?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
GEF34

PostPosted: 12/28/21 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

female-buckets wrote:
Is there a salary cap for WNBA head coaches? Because if there isn't, it'd be cool if WNBA teams were actually planning on making Becky a respectful offer. That could set a good precedent. I think a lot of female coaches prefer NCAA because the money is better. But if teams are dissatisfied with the current pool of WNBA coaches, maybe they're ready to invest more.

Job security is also better at the college level. For the most part coaches know they have at least the full season they in and typically assistant coaches have at least the length of the contract of the head coach unless they have personal issues with the head coach. Usually at the college level coaches have a bit more control over the directions of their careers, where as in the pros a coach can be fired after the first game if the team decides they don't like something they did in the game. And even if they do pay more, I would still venture a guess you are not going to open the pool that much bigger to attract some of the better college coaches.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 12/28/21 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
... And even if they do pay more, I would still venture a guess you are not going to open the pool that much bigger to attract some of the better college coaches.

My speculation is that this is because many, if not most, of the top college coaches are in it more for the power and control than the money.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/31/21 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1476777869489627140?s=20
@ShamsCharania wrote:
Just in: San Antonio Spurs assistant and WNBA legend Becky Hammon is closing in on a landmark deal to become the new head coach of the WNBA’s Las Vegas Aces, sources tell me and @ChantelJennings.

PostPosted: 12/31/21 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn·1m

San Antonio Spurs assistant Becky Hammon is finalizing a five-year deal with the WNBA’s Las Vegas Aces that’ll make her the league’s highest paid coach, sources tell ESPN. Hammon plans to finish season with San Antonio.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1476786705923518470?s=20

Welcome back Becky! Exclamation

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/31/21 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Being the highest-paid HC in the W means what, exactly?

While I’m happy for Hammon, I’m ultimately sad that there will now be one less horse in the race to become the NBA’s first female HC – especially since she appeared to some (including me) to be the most likely winner of such a race.

This honestly seems like a sign that no woman is all that close to being the NBA’s first female HC if Hammon is choosing to leave the League entirely (even if it is to return to its sister League).

Last edited by Stormeo on 12/31/21 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/31/21 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Shams and Chantel Jennings

Quote:
Just in: San Antonio Spurs assistant and WNBA legend Becky Hammon is closing in on a landmark deal to become the new head coach of the WNBA’s Las Vegas Aces, sources tell me and
@ChantelJennings

https://t.co/upEi4FMKrs

Quote:
San Antonio Spurs assistant Becky Hammon is finalizing a five-year deal with the WNBA’s Las Vegas Aces that’ll make her the league’s highest paid coach, sources tell ESPN. Hammon plans to finish season with San Antonio.

Per Woj

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1476786705923518470?s=20

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/31/21 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

While I’m happy for Hammon, I’m ultimately sad that there will now be one less horse in the race to become the NBA’s first female HC – especially since she appeared to some (including me) to be the most likely winner of such a race.

This honestly seems like a sign that no woman is all that close to being the NBA’s first female HC if Hammon is choosing to leave the League entirely (even if it is to return to its sister League).

It's bittersweet.

Honestly, as cool as Becky being the first woman to be a head coach in the NBA is, I wouldn't wish an NBA head coaching job on my worst enemy. They saddle her with a garbage team and fire her after two years. Honestly, coaching Aja and the Aces is a lot more attractive option to me, especially since it sounds like they are going to pay her well for it.

Maybe she'll win 3 rings in a row with the Aces and the NBA will come calling back. Who knows.

Either way, this is going to be a huge storyline in the upcoming season. I imagine that Vegas/PHX opener will get bumped to ABC now. Lol

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/31/21 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like I said before, if Hammon took the Liberty job she'd be working for the owners of the Nets. It would keep her visible to owners who have made a big deal about supporting opportunities for women. But in the end, it may be as simple as having a bird in hand -- LVA offered Becky a lucrative contract and she decided to take the money and run.

PostPosted: 12/31/21 3:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, it sounds like Becky got a real offer. I'm happy about the money side of it. It's a good precedent to set. I imagine Reeve and Thibault will be asking for raises soon.

I'm guessing Becky's at least in the 500k/year range. So we're now in a league that pays the top coach more than the top players. I think the CBA needs to be accelerated in light of all this.

It's interesting to see this NFL owner treat his WNBA team so well. Great branding, great facilities, great promotion, fancy coach. The Liberty and Mystics don't get that love from their NBA owners. And the Mercury have more than enough problems with their NBA owner.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/31/21 3:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Typically it would be:

1) Bill Laimbeer is the head coach of the Las Vegas Aces.
2) Bill Laimbeer fired/resigns as head coach of the Las Vegas Aces
3) Becky Hammon is hired as head coach of the Las Vegas Aces

Surprised that they decided to skip step #2.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/31/21 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reports are now stating Becky will be the GM as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wnba/comments/rsyws0/sources_becky_hammon_will_also_serve_as_the/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/31/21 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
pilight wrote:
Quote:
If Hammon were to accept the Aces job, Laimbeer would step aside and potentially fill a different organizational role, sources said.

PR Manager?

I'm actually hiring. Not sure if Bill is the right fit, though.

This cracked me up. Thanks RatDogSalad.

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 12/31/21 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's Official:

https://www.wnba.com/news/las-vegas-announces-franchise-legend-becky-hammon-as-teams-head-coach/

“This is the best possible scenario for the Las Vegas Aces,” allowed Laimbeer. “It takes a tremendous amount of energy to be a head coach. In Becky, the team now has somebody who can serve in that role for the long term, which is great for both the players and the franchise.”

Laimbeer will continue to work for the Aces, focusing initially on assisting with the team’s roster construction for 2022. The league’s free agency signing period begins next week.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 12/31/21 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

female-buckets wrote:
Well, it sounds like Becky got a real offer. I'm happy about the money side of it. It's a good precedent to set. I imagine Reeve and Thibault will be asking for raises soon.

I'm guessing Becky's at least in the 500k/year range. So we're now in a league that pays the top coach more than the top players. I think the CBA needs to be accelerated in light of all this.

It's interesting to see this NFL owner treat his WNBA team so well. Great branding, great facilities, great promotion, fancy coach. The Liberty and Mystics don't get that love from their NBA owners. And the Mercury have more than enough problems with their NBA owner.

Glen Taylor loooves Cheryl Reeve and his Lynx club.

Also, I feel a certain kinda' way with a HC making more than the superstar on the team. I mean good for Becky, get the bag, but it reminds too much of Division 1 college athletics (pre-NIL), with mostly millionaire coaches and cheap, student-athlete labor.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 12/31/21 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How long do you think it will be before Bill ends up coaching another team?
pilight

PostPosted: 12/31/21 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
How long do you think it will be before Bill ends up coaching another team?

Maybe the Merc will hire him

PostPosted: 12/31/21 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is clearly some sort of mutual thing going on with this decision in regard to Laimbeer. If he is staying on to help with roster construction and possibly other executive duties that doesn't sound to me like a straight up firing. I guess what I am trying to say is maybe he was a little burnt out on coaching. He was always hard to read on the sidelines but he did seem a little less enthused this past season. In short maybe this was a good decision for everyone involved and instead of coaching maybe we will see Bill pivot towards operations and General Management.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/31/21 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
There is clearly some sort of mutual thing going on with this decision in regard to Laimbeer. If he is staying on to help with roster construction and possibly other executive duties that doesn't sound to me like a straight up firing. I guess what I am trying to say is maybe he was a little burnt out on coaching. He was always hard to read on the sidelines but he did seem a little less enthused this past season. In short maybe this was a good decision for everyone involved and instead of coaching maybe we will see Bill pivot towards operations and General Management.

Bill Laimbeer will be 65 soon. He's had 16 full seasons as a WNBA head coach. Certainly may be that he's had enough of that, wants to move in other directions, and perhaps retire in a few years.

PostPosted: 01/01/22 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Building the roster sounds like the GM job to me.

TigerVol

PostPosted: 01/01/22 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Like I said before, if Hammon took the Liberty job she'd be working for the owners of the Nets. It would keep her visible to owners who have made a big deal about supporting opportunities for women. But in the end, it may be as simple as having a bird in hand -- LVA offered Becky a lucrative contract and she decided to take the money and run.

I'm not an aces fan but it seems they've done things right. Isn't like it is a last place team with a history of running on the cheap or not supporting the players that suddenethrew a bunch of cash her way.

Maybe she likes the investment in front office personnel?

PostPosted: 01/01/22 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Could be a quality of life and potential of league decision.

NBA is a major grind in season (maybe out too with summer league idk). Ncaa is a grind year round and recruiting was messy and exhausting enough pre NIL.

Wnba is a pretty sweet gig that leaves a real off season. And the grind is summer so more conducive to a family schedule if balance is an interest. Or leaves time to double dip with commentary if that if of any Interest.

Plus - if the wnba is on the cusp LV seems well positioned through investment/marketing to be a leader if the league really takes off in the next 5 years. Building a very strong front office.

Finally it is a head coaching gig. She is young. It isn't going to hurt her resume only help it. More years as an NBA assistant probably won't help.

As for a woman as head coach of an NBA team...

It isn't just a woman thing.

Very difficult for any assistant coach to climb the ranks. These days they still recycle coach's or give family recently retired players the job over long time assistants whether male or female.

NBA top job is really who you know and very much timing... Plus there are more bad top jobs than there are good ones when you really look at opportunity to win (players and ownership commitment)...and some of those "good" opportunities have players running (or wanting to run) the organization and choosing the coach. All leagues have drama but nba is HIGH drama give them a the crazy money, power given to top players and young players.

PostPosted: 01/01/22 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TigerVol wrote:
root_thing wrote:

I'm not an aces fan but it seems they've done things right. Isn't like it is a last place team with a history of running on the cheap or not supporting the players that suddenethrew a bunch of cash her way.

Maybe she likes the investment in front office personnel?

I never suggested that LVA was a bad organization. I was just pointing out that rather than waiting for an NBA HC job, getting a relatively high-paying WNBA position could still be a huge bump in pay. Stretch that out over the rumored five years, and the money starts looking too big to walk away from in exchange for the hopes of getting an NBA position. Like I said, a bird in hand.

As for investing in the front office, we see names recognizable to women's basketball fans but not necessarily filling jobs where they have a clear history of success. What in Nikki Fargas's background makes her such a great hire as President? Jennifer Azzi has an OK-looking resume for development, but how do we judge what she did for the University of San Francisco and the NBA Academy? And Blair Hardiek is obviously attached to Azzi both personally and professionally. She probably wouldn't be here without Azzi. These women may all end up doing a wonderful job, but I don't see how any of them are so impressive at the moment relative to their new responsibilites.

PostPosted: 01/01/22 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelsey Plum opens up on numerous topics including coming off the bench for the first time in her career, how she came back in 9 months from her achilles injury and countless other nuggets.

https://youtu.be/TBgxnDOPxNU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: