Mercury
43%
 43%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 32

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/14/21 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan wrote:
Skylar was pushing a triple double and I had no idea.

She's the first player to have 10 points, 12 assists, and 5 rebounds in a finals game

She would have had at least 16 assists if her teammates could have made wide open layup so. The first three quarters.

Another note..again, good things happen when we establish Brit early. The Merc went away from her at times, but Chicago never figured out how to stop it. That’s the adjustment they need to make for game 3.

PostPosted: 10/14/21 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
Someone on Twitter posted evidence that Diamond 3 shot should have counted wow. Sky got a raw deal with the refs in gm 2.

What kind of "evidence" did they post? 'Cause what ESPN showed during the game looked pretty clear to me that the ball was still on her fingertips.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/14/21 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
I need at that ref to explain how DT got away with pushing her twice during that incident with Sophie & Kahleah? Cathy also needs to address it too.

BG putting numbers & Skylar doing whatever it took to get a win only for them not to even get a post game interview smh.

Sloot living up to the Sue Bird comparison.

CP gotta pass the ball & stop with the dribble. She could have avoided a couple turnovers by doing so.

People are doing everything to not acknowledge the horse collar. It was dirty. Taurasi probably pushed the ref to jump in and protect her teammate.

As a disclaimer. I like Copper. I don’t think she is a dirty player by any means but she was the only guilty party in that sequence. It was out of character and probably looked worse than it intended to be.

On the other hand, I explicitly remember Dupree getting suspended a game for pushing a ref with one hand to get their attention. I have a feeling the league won’t touch this but we shall see.

I don't think it was dirty. It was aggressive and maybe a little reckless.

I'm ok with the way that they officiated that part of the play. I would have been OK if they had given both techs - Copper for the horse collar and Sophie for the reaction to it.

DT was going in as a peacemaker. I'm guessing that she is a captain, but don't know for sure. She's not wanting this to escalate. We don't know if she said to the ref "hey, I got her" or something like that. I'd have to go back and re-watch the play, but I don't recall it as DT doing anything other than trying to get to her teammate to prevent her from getting up and ripping Copper's head off. Wink If that's the case, the ref was probably happy to let DT take care of it, and she could get out of harm's way.

Again, I'd need to re-watch it, but I'd be shocked if the league does any more with that play, but if they do, I'd say that DT and Copper both need to sit out. That would be advantage PHO IMO. Get DT some much needed rest, healing and motivation and look out Sky!!!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/14/21 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
mercfan wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
I need at that ref to explain how DT got away with pushing her twice during that incident with Sophie & Kahleah? Cathy also needs to address it too.

BG putting numbers & Skylar doing whatever it took to get a win only for them not to even get a post game interview smh.

CP gotta pass the ball & stop with the dribble. She could have avoided a couple turnovers by doing so.

People are doing everything to not acknowledge the horse collar. It was dirty. Taurasi probably pushed the ref to jump in and protect her teammate.

As a disclaimer. I like Copper. I don’t think she is a dirty player by any means but she was the only guilty party in that sequence. It was out of character and probably looked worse than it intended to be.

On the other hand, I explicitly remember Dupree getting suspended a game for pushing a ref with one hand to get their attention. I have a feeling the league won’t touch this but we shall see.

I don't think it was dirty. It was aggressive and maybe a little reckless.

I'm ok with the way that they officiated that part of the play. I would have been OK if they had given both techs - Copper for the horse collar and Sophie for the reaction to it.

DT was going in as a peacemaker. I'm guessing that she is a captain, but don't know for sure. She's not wanting this to escalate. We don't know if she said to the ref "hey, I got her" or something like that. I'd have to go back and re-watch the play, but I don't recall it as DT doing anything other than trying to get to her teammate to prevent her from getting up and ripping Copper's head off. Wink If that's the case, the ref was probably happy to let DT take care of it, and she could get out of harm's way.

Again, I'd need to re-watch it, but I'd be shocked if the league does any more with that play, but if they do, I'd say that DT and Copper both need to sit out. That would be advantage PHO IMO. Get DT some much needed rest, healing and motivation and look out Sky!!!

Sophie for her reaction? Her reaction was jerking her own arm back and yelling heeee get the f off me (or something similar.) Copper then acted tough and tried to stand over her like.. do something..So i def dont see a T for Sophie on that one. Copper is not a dirty player but she went above the neck on that one. So i would have called a flagrant on her to defuse the situation

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
SCook

PostPosted: 10/14/21 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmpenn90 wrote:
mercfan wrote:
bryan_february_ wrote:
Chicago shot 4 FTs the entire game + OT. Rolling Eyes

There were only 15 total in the game. Tbh, I prefer it this way.

Of course you prefer it this way, your team got most of the free throws. Lol

BG had 5 of the teams 11 free throws. When you think of how physical Chicago likes to be with her, I think that's accurate. She easily could've and should've had more. Take away BG's 5 and you have 6 going to Phoenix and 4 to Chicago. BG is the anomaly in this series and it showed in this game.

I mean, Chicago's offense focuses on pulling BG and Turner out of the lane to get easy open baskets at the rim. How many fouls are you expecting to get when you shoot wide open layups that are uncontested?

PostPosted: 10/14/21 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game gave Sandy Brondello her 24th playoff win, tied with Brian Agler for 5th All Time. This is Brondello's 9th season as a head coach, Agler had 17.

PostPosted: 10/14/21 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26

PostPosted: 10/14/21 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So we can push the refs out of the way as long as we're going in as a "peacemaker"

Ex-Ref wrote:

She said nothing of the sort. Because the ref was highly surprised when she was pushed.

PostPosted: 10/14/21 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
So we can push the refs out of the way as long as we're going in as a "peacemaker"

It's way more basic than that. Taurasi can get away with it because she's white. If it had been Diggins she probably would have been ejected, the suspension would have been announced last night, and few of the DT apologists would be standing up for her. We all saw what happened when Astou Ndour got walked into by a ref. This was much more serious than that.

PostPosted: 10/14/21 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

It's way more basic than that. Taurasi can get away with it because she's white. If it had been Diggins she probably would have been ejected, the suspension would have been announced last night, and few of the DT apologists would be standing up for her. We all saw what happened when Astou Ndour got walked into by a ref. This was much more serious than that.

shontay33

PostPosted: 10/14/21 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

I totally agree. Makes you wonder some things too! People who excuse the actions of DT and say how she is a great example will turn around and say how horrible players are who are not white have a bad attitude. May people on here dragged Skylar and said she was a diva and had a bad attitude. I can only imagine if she would have shoved a ref. They probably would have thrown the book at her.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/14/21 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

I think Taurasi is the wrong white (passing?) player to use as an example of “gets away with it because she’s white.” She has a pretty strong history of getting a harsher punishment than usual.

I’m sure there is a bias here, as there is with everything. However, I think superstars and players refs like get the benefit of the call. I also think, in the W, you get away with more of you are a more “feminine” player..IE..Parker gets away with a lot more than Griner.

Also, it speaks volumes that people are advocating that Taurasi be suspended for making contact with a ref (it hardly qualifies as a shove), and are silent on Copper’s chokehold.

PostPosted: 10/14/21 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Everybody thought what happened with Ndour was ridiculous. So now you’re saying that should be the standard? I’d be surprised if that tech didn’t get rescinded, but I suppose it’s about an individual ref’s comfort level. Is that ref still working?

It’s the end of the season, the Finals. Do people really want this series possibly decided on frivolous technicals? That’s probably the mindset of this ref to not get carried away with the techs. She could have easily given a tech to Copper who was taunting Cunningham even while in the her grasp. So let’s not politicize the situation (remember Taurasi’s borderline tech in the last game? It wasn’t that long ago) and let’s not accuse people of being racist when it’s most likely not the case.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
shontay33

PostPosted: 10/14/21 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Everybody thought what happened with Ndour was ridiculous. So now you’re saying that should be the standard? I’d be surprised if that tech didn’t get rescinded, but I suppose it’s about an individual ref’s comfort level. Is that ref still working?

It’s the end of the season, the Finals. Do people really want this series possibly decided on frivolous technicals? That’s probably the mindset of this ref to not get carried away with the techs. She could have easily given a tech to Copper who was taunting Cunningham even while in the her grasp. So let’s not politicize the situation (remember Taurasi’s borderline tech in the last game? It wasn’t that long ago) and let’s not accuse people of being racist when it’s most likely not the case.

In spite of all the disagreement on how things were handled(my question is what are people supposed to think in a league where most of the players are black but have had negative things said about them by people on this board i.e. glorifying one players behavior but admonishing another player)

Overall, it was an excellent game. As far as Sophie and Copper, Sophie has a reputation that has proceed her. She said so herself. So I can see why Copper reacted the way she did.

Tally24

PostPosted: 10/14/21 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

I'm sorry, is Diana Taurasi not Latina?

Also +1. It's lame to want the refs to intervene like that in the biggest moment.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/14/21 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Neutral Says the person who mocked Damiris Dantas' accent in a post once while implying her lack of English skills meant she wasn't smart, and never apologized for it.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 10/14/21 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
Someone on Twitter posted evidence that Diamond 3 shot should have counted wow. Sky got a raw deal with the refs in gm 2.

What kind of "evidence" did they post? 'Cause what ESPN showed during the game looked pretty clear to me that the ball was still on her fingertips.
A live video replay of the shot & Diamond got the shot off with 1 sec on the shot clock.

blue crabs & basketba

PostPosted: 10/14/21 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Also +1. It's lame to want the refs to intervene like that in the biggest moment.

I thought her parents were immigrants to Argentina from Italy.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/14/21 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blue crabs & basketba wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Her father is Italian, her mother is Argentinian

PostPosted: 10/14/21 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
blue crabs & basketba wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Her father is Italian, her mother is Argentinian

And she's still white. Latina doesn't preclude somebody from being white.

mercfan

PostPosted: 10/14/21 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While racial prejudice plays a huge factor in this league, specifically with how the media covers the sport, this instance seems like a reach.

In fact, I think Diana is the ONLY player in this series that would actually get suspended for this, solely because she’s the only player that people would be this loud about suspending. Every single other player on that floor does that and it goes completely unnoticed. Nobody on this board would be coming down on Kia Vaughn if it happened to be her.

As a Mercury fan, I don’t think I’d even care if anyone on Chicago did what Taurasi did. Like many have said, if the ref took any offense to it, she wouldn’t have held back ejecting her or at the very least whistle her for it considering she has gotten a million techs in her career. Yes, I know, the rule clearly states xyz.

It just comes off as “the Mercury are more likely to lose if they don’t have Taurasi so let’s do it”. To each their own, but it would be so weak for the league to suspend any player for anything that happened last night. If Taurasi is out, nobody is watching. This is a business at the end of the day.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 10/14/21 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Despite the ugly shooting numbers, Diggins was the key to Phoenix winning. For all the talk about Vandersloot's great decision making, Diggins was making the right moves all night.

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Tally24

PostPosted: 10/14/21 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the ref takes control of the situation from the beginning and assesses a tech to Copper immediately, she backs off. Instead, as usual, the officials are steps slow and the result is this escalation because not only did Copper have her hands on Sophie’s neck, she was also definitely taunting her from her standing position.

Just say you hate Diana and want Chicago to win and move on.

I’ll be honest, I have a vested interest in Phoenix and from a biased perspective, I don’t want Diana suspended because I paid a lot of money to be at the game tomorrow. 🤷🏼‍♂️
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 10/14/21 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are so many layers to this discussion on DT and the wide birth she is given. It is so emblematic of discussions we have about behavior, punishment and privilege from the court to the classroom to the boardroom. DT is no fainting violet and she earns every tech she has gotten. She probably leads the league (all-time) in both scoring and techs but we all know that she truly acts a donkey from time to time! Sometimes it's hilarious and other times it's not. As the W is a microcosm of the larger world, we bring the same biases to how we see and perceive things. Some folks do things and get passes for it...are applauded for it, while others would be/have been castigated and vilified for it (or worse). It is always going to rub some people the wrong way (even folks who may like her or her game) and her apologists will continue to gaslight and say you didn't see what you saw. If this were other players, I know folks would not be this generous and would yell from the top of their lungs that rules are rules and they need to be applied accordingly. Truth be told, some things may not be egregious but there is a wide gulf between having the benefit of the doubt and constantly being doubted or viewed with suspicion... It is frustrating because it removes objectivity from the discussion, tilts the scales in a certain direction, echoes so many people's lived experiences and is as old as the day is long....

Specifically regarding techs and ref contact... Officiating has left much to be desired all season but somethings are beyond terrible...

Coach Wade was T'd up during the regular season because the ref tripped over him... He had his back turned and unknowingly, his foot was like an inch outside of the box and for those who didn't see the Astou ejection:

https://twitter.com/Ballislife/status/1171020162277007360

I wasn't a big Sky watcher at the time and honestly thought this was a SNL "The Worst refs ever" parody when I first saw it Shocked At best, it was an overly sensitive official and at worse, it looked like another instance of the fear/policing of black bodies... That mess made it all the way to the regular news and overseas! Embarassed

There definitely is a growing swell of people asking the league to look at the ref pushing issue... I don't know that she meant any harm or disrespect by pushing the ref...twice...but she did it. Some folks make mistakes. Some folks do things because they know they can and some things just happen in the heat of the moment... We shall see what happens here!

With that said, I'm really more annoyed about the lop-sided officiating in general (Felt like the was a desire to have a tied series, Who is out there betting? Laughing ) and about Diamond's basket...

https://twitter.com/ariivory/status/1448647718008619014

Now folks are saying that the TV clock wasn't synced with the arena clock... *le sigh*

Go W!

Last edited by WfanFrJmp on 10/14/21 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 10/14/21 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:

ESPN showed a slow-mo reply of that late turnover with CP bringing the ball up, (I think Turner picked it?)... Vandersloot was screaming her head off in disappointment. Laughing One of the best PG in the league is on your team, outlet to her and let her handle it. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: