undersized_post wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Dana Very Happy

She didn’t have to do them like that Laughing Surprised

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
EVANS!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

I’m serious: I want Evans on the Storm. She can inherit the PG throne after Birdy retires. She can shoot, as I’ve said many a time before. The rest will come. We don’t have to settle for Canada, and getting Plum in 2023 ain’t a sure thing. Get creative, Storm! Twisted Evil

Shyla Heal is available Twisted Evil Razz

Oop... I have said that I want Heal on the team at several different points in the past, haven't I. Mr. Green

She can sign a training camp deal with us next season and go from there...

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 10/15/21 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The place was once again on FIYAH! Phoenix crashed and burned. We didn't let up.

Take it on Sunday!!!!!! Very Happy

PostPosted: 10/15/21 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
The place was once again on FIYAH! Phoenix crashed and burned. We didn't let up.

Take it on Sunday!!!!!! Very Happy

Sunday is Funday!🏆

PostPosted: 10/16/21 7:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
The Sky must have a resolve to play smart basketball. They lost game two because of turnovers and bad fouls. I will say a prayer to Jehovah for DeShields. Whatever mental block that she has in her head that prevents her from being the best version of herself I will ask him to remove it.

I predict 10pts, 3 reb, 2 steals. Tonight will be her redemption. Wink

Well, Rocky's (and my) prayer led to redemption!

11 pts, 5 reb, 2 assists, 5 steals!

Maybe her father's presence, with his Girl Dad t-shirt, helped her focus.

I've been concerned about her - I wonder if all her times of hitting the deck has affected her negatively. Yesterday, "something cognitive" came to me. Has there been some undiagnosed damage? Sad

We didn't have the same balanced attack, but everyone scored, and everyone played! We definitely got to the line more often.

Candace needs to tighten it up! I'm often afraid of her shots the same way I am about Diamond's! I was not a fan of her coming, but I must begrudgingly admit that she has made an impact.

I'm gonna assume that PHX was dealing with jet lag, so they are gonna be more prepared on Sunday. Still, I think we neutralized a lot of their weapons - I am so proud of my team! Very Happy

Tally24, welcome to Chi-Town! Sorry (not sorry) for your loss! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 10/16/21 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
I was there in 2014 when we got swept - the one home game that had to be held at the UIC Pavilion because something else was already booked at Allstate Arena. It was my second year as an STH.

Interesting that there are only two players on each team that were in that series - Sloot and Allie, Griner and Taurasi.

I am so excited and hope we can finish them off on Friday night! It'll be tough - Phx will make adjustments and Cunningham will be back.

As long as we can stay focused, be less passive and grab more o-boards, convert more steals into points, make all of our FTs, stop Diamond from making layups, take care of the ball, keep up the disruptive defensive play and avoid stupid fouls, we should be good! Is that too much to ask? Laughing

I remember being at that game. Even though the Sky lost, it was great to experience a championship celebration, even if it was the Mercury's.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 10/16/21 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotta be one of the most thorough ass-kicks I've ever seen.

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 10/16/21 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last night, I wore my This Is Our Moment t-shirt from the 2014 finals, and I'mma wear it again tomorrow! We're ready this time!

PostPosted: 10/16/21 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GettyImages has pictures of the players arriving for the game and Diamond DeShields was wearing her Tennessee jacket. Since she chose to play in Europe instead of at Tennessee for her senior year I had assumed she was unhappy at Tennessee. But seems like she has fond memories of her time there.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/16/21 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Gotta be one of the most thorough ass-kicks I've ever seen.

That's a strong statement coming from a UConn fan

PostPosted: 10/16/21 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

its shocking that the 2 bench post players for the mercury are this bad and they still got to the finals.
like kia vaughn and alanna smith as the only 2 backup post players - scary.

need some work there in the off season

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 10/16/21 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will Merc fans consider that, had the league acted appropriately by suspending Taurasi, they'd have a decent excuse for the poor showing?

SCook

PostPosted: 10/16/21 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Will Merc fans consider that, had the league acted appropriately by suspending Taurasi, they'd have a decent excuse for the poor showing?

Why would we consider that? The league didn't suspend her and the team played horribly. There is no excuse for this showing. We said it through out this thread. This was the most horrible display of basketball Phoenix has shown in a while.

If the league had suspended her and this was the showing, I would still blame the team.

Last edited by SCook on 10/16/21 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
SCook

PostPosted: 10/16/21 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
its shocking that the 2 bench post players for the mercury are this bad and they still got to the finals.

If BG wasn't who she is, I think I'd be shocked. The post has been BG for years now in Phoenix. They never get a decent backup (Not sure if that's choice or the talent selection isn't that good) for her.

PostPosted: 10/16/21 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
I want Skylar to own this moment. The pivotal game 3.

It's Skylar wanting this so bad and doing nothing that makes me even more disgusted.

Also, Sandy making Skylar a facilitator and not a scorer has not worked for us. Go back to having Diana facilitate the offense and let Skylar score the ball. That's what worked well post Olympic break.

Last edited by SCook on 10/16/21 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 10/16/21 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

If BG wasn't who she is, I think I'd be shocked. The post has been BG for years now in Phoenix. They never get a decent backup (Not sure if that's choice or the talent selection isn't that good) for her.

Limited resources since they pay big money to their stars and not-so-stars. The best thing for them would be to find a sucker to pay for Hartley’s expensive contract.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SCook

PostPosted: 10/16/21 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SCook wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

Limited resources since they pay big money to their stars and not-so-stars. The best thing for them would be to find a sucker to pay for Hartley’s expensive contract.

Cutting Bria is the only option? Vaughan makes around the same much as Bria (who is coming back from 3 injuries and 2 surgeries) and she wasn't thought of to get chopped first. Find a post player that can play defense and score the ball in the 20 minutes that you give them.

PostPosted: 10/16/21 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
Also, Sandy making Skylar a facilitator and not a scorer has not worked for us. Go back to having Diana facilitate the offense and let Skylar score the ball. That's what worked well post Olympic break.

That's a curious conclusion. In the playoffs, the Merc are 6-0 when Diggins has 5+ assists and 0-4 when she doesn't. Skylar is much better at running the offense than Taurasi is.

PostPosted: 10/17/21 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
mercfan wrote:
I want Skylar to own this moment. The pivotal game 3.

It's Skylar wanting this so bad and doing nothing that makes me even more disgusted.

I was just about to say.... Take SDS off the ball, and let her work, especially if they are saving DT for late game offense (if that's what they are doing).... Skylar has to defer at PG, and when she does call her own number it's ill-timed.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 10/17/21 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
SCook wrote:

That's a curious conclusion. In the playoffs, the Merc are 6-0 when Diggins has 5+ assists and 0-4 when she doesn't. Skylar is much better at running the offense than Taurasi is.

Which is a conundrum. How can Sandy get the most out of a scoring guard, who just happens to be your best PG.

SCook

PostPosted: 10/17/21 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
SCook wrote:

This may be true but I always felt Skylar did better when she was able to score the ball and then draw the defense to make passes. Due to her scoring the ball, the defense has to play honestly and she's able to make better reads.

PostPosted: 10/17/21 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
In the playoffs, the Merc are 6-0 when Diggins has 5+ assists and 0-4 when she doesn't. Skylar is much better at running the offense than Taurasi is.

I still remember when people were convinced that Diggins(-Smith) was an off-guard rather than a point guard…

SCook

PostPosted: 10/17/21 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
pilight wrote:
SCook wrote:

Which is a conundrum. How can Sandy get the most out of a scoring guard, who just happens to be your best PG.

You have to give her different looks. At this point, let Diana run the offense for some stretches and shift Skylar off ball to be a scorer. The issue is that both of them need to put points on the board and they are struggling horribly. Bria is a liability on defense at times but if she can score a few baskets or get the ball to BG, play her in stretches to take the ball out of both of their hands.

PostPosted: 10/17/21 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
pilight wrote:
SCook wrote:

This may be true but I always felt Skylar did better when she was able to score the ball and then draw the defense to make passes. Due to her scoring the ball, the defense has to play honestly and she's able to make better reads.

Yes, the Merc are better when Diggins is scoring a lot. She still needs to be the one running the show. That's never been Taurasi's strength. When the Merc won titles in '07 and '09 Diana was playing the three. The 2014 team just threw five HOFers on the floor and called it a day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: