RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big Ten 2021-2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 11/20/21 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm curious how the teams that were supposed to play Iowa in the Cancun Challenge are going to adjust their schedules to make up that game.

(yes, I write this from the perspective of a mildly annoyed Seton Hall fan who is at least now relieved she was too lazy and too cheap to go to Cancun for Thanksgiving)

PostPosted: 11/21/21 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I'm curious how the teams that were supposed to play Iowa in the Cancun Challenge are going to adjust their schedules to make up that game.

(yes, I write this from the perspective of a mildly annoyed Seton Hall fan who is at least now relieved she was too lazy and too cheap to go to Cancun for Thanksgiving)

https://shupirates.com/news/2021/11/20/womens-basketball-pirates-now-to-face-usc-in-cancun-challenge.aspx

Just saw this and thought of your post. Instead of Seton Hall and USC playing Iowa, they will play each other. (And their previously scheduled opponent.)

I’m also glad I didn’t break the budget to get a ticket, only to have my team not be able to play.

PostPosted: 11/21/21 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just got home from Fordham’s 71-68 win over Michigan State. Fun game! Clouden made it dangerous at the end with two threes, but Fordham held on. I was very impressed with some of the Spartans’ individual defense, specifically Clouden, Alyza Winston, and Tamara Farquhar (who played a lot taller than her listed height today). If the freshman Hagemann can get her fundamentals together, she should be good for them; it’s just that today she had the footwork of a drunken ballerina. They did not match up with with Kaitlyn Downey at all, and if they don’t know what to do with a post who likes to shoot threes, they might have a problem going forward.

PostPosted: 11/21/21 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Just got home from Fordham’s 71-68 win over Michigan State. Fun game! Clouden made it dangerous at the end with two threes, but Fordham held on. I was very impressed with some of the Spartans’ individual defense, specifically Clouden, Alyza Winston, and Tamara Farquhar (who played a lot taller than her listed height today). If the freshman Hagemann can get her fundamentals together, she should be good for them; it’s just that today she had the footwork of a drunken ballerina. They did not match up with with Kaitlyn Downey at all, and if they don’t know what to do with a post who likes to shoot threes, they might have a problem going forward.

Since you've seen Fordham play both MSU and ND, what's your preview of the MSU-ND game in the ACC-B10 Challenge about 10 days from now?

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/21/21 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Since you've seen Fordham play both MSU and ND, what's your preview of the MSU-ND game in the ACC-B10 Challenge about 10 days from now?

I didn't see enough of the Notre Dame game to get a very strong impression of Notre Dame. Michigan State has good length and used it well against us. I'm sure you'll hate their backcourt defense. But if you have anyone with height who can hit threes, you should be fine.

PostPosted: 11/22/21 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh goodness gracious. Chicago State – which is 4-131 in the past six years and doesn’t even know what conference it’ll be playing in next season once it leaves the WAC at the end of the school year – just won in overtime at Wisconsin!! 😱 I know the Badgers’ head coach is in her 1st year with the program, but man, things are sure bad-ison in Madison. 😬

Coyotes

PostPosted: 11/22/21 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I don’t know how Wisconsin managed that. Sure the cupboard was bare, but surely not THAT bare…..

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/23/21 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Yeah, I don’t know how Wisconsin managed that. Sure the cupboard was bare, but surely not THAT bare…..

I looked at Wisconsin’s results so far and thought that their one credited win was against a DIII school. Then I read that St. Thomas just joined the Summit League in July after receiving “an unprecedented waiver to make the jump from DIII to DI.” They are in the first of five years of DI transition.

As a side note, Minnesota is no longer the only DI in MN.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/23/21 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I didn't see enough of the Notre Dame game to get a very strong impression of Notre Dame. Michigan State has good length and used it well against us. I'm sure you'll hate their backcourt defense. But if you have anyone with height who can hit threes, you should be fine.

Update: if you can't beat this team, yeet your entire program into the sun

PostPosted: 11/23/21 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan State just lost to St Francis (2-4) on the road. St Francis lost to AMI hogan 82-46.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/23/21 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Michigan State just lost to St Francis (2-4) on the road. St Francis lost to AMI hogan 82-46.

Huh? St Francis lost at Michigan by that score...was that a typo? St Francis is also now 2-3 as they lost at Manhattan, at Michigan and home to Penn. They won at Rider 3 days ago.

All that said, I have no idea how they just lost back-to-back games at Fordham and at St. Francis.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/23/21 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AMI Hogan is Siri-speak for Michigan.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/23/21 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Huh? St Francis lost at Michigan by that score...was that a typo? St Francis is also now 2-3 as they lost at Manhattan, at Michigan and home to Penn. They won at Rider 3 days ago.

All that said, I have no idea how they just lost back-to-back games at Fordham and at St. Francis.

I believe it was a typo....st. Francis beat Michigan St. 66-63. Razz

PostPosted: 11/23/21 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can confirm, was there.

PostPosted: 11/23/21 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There seem to be a lot of schools getting their first ever win over a B10 team or first win over a B10 team since 198X

PostPosted: 11/23/21 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, to elaborate on the previous point: it’s unusual to get Big Ten teams in the city proper, or at least Big Ten teams that aren’t Rutgers, and I have literally enjoyed more Big Ten basketball while having a wisdom tooth extracted than I have watching Rutgers. And my manager wanted me to take days off. So I took the day off for this game.

Michigan State really needs to find some offense that isn’t Nia Clouden. Maybe having Alyza Winston available for more of the game would have helped- she got in foul trouble in the first half, to the point where she didn’t start the second- because she always seemed to be making big plays. And their defense is pretty solid. But they need a better second option, and they need a third option.

Also, Suzy Merchant got outcoached. Linda Cimino used her personnel brilliantly. Lots of quick situational switches, lots of putting the right person in the right place at the right time. I have to assume Alisia Smith is better than she showed on the New York road trip, because otherwise there’s no good reason for her to be starting. She got outplayed by most of her reserve teammates.

I am so proud of St. Francis right now.

PostPosted: 11/24/21 6:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yikes, MSU!

Bookended by the two losses was this article in the Detroit News about Suzy being one of the lowest paid coaches in the B1G. https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/2021/11/23/state-hoops-msus-suzy-merchant-isnt-paid-like-coach-500-wins/8731737002/

This makes me wonder how they will do against Oakland on Friday…. (Michigan struggled with a sick Naz, 69-58 ).

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/29/21 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

11/27

Purdue - 66
#17 Florida State - 61

A double-double from Kyle (13 pts, 10 boards), 18 pts from Hardin and 16 from Layden led to the upset over the Seminoles. 12-33 from 3-pt range and only 10 turnovers were definitely the keys to the game.

5-2 for Purdue with losses to Dayton and #22 West Virginia. Not a bad start to the Katie Gearlds era, esp considering it started a few weeks ago.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/29/21 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
11/27

Purdue - 66
#17 Florida State - 61

A double-double from Kyle (13 pts, 10 boards), 18 pts from Hardin and 16 from Layden led to the upset over the Seminoles. 12-33 from 3-pt range and only 10 turnovers were definitely the keys to the game.

5-2 for Purdue with losses to Dayton and #22 West Virginia. Not a bad start to the Katie Gearlds era, esp considering it started a few weeks ago.

I definitely thought FSU was way overrated at #17, but this is a great win nonetheless for Purdue!

PostPosted: 11/29/21 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

I definitely thought FSU was way overrated at #17, but this is a great win nonetheless for Purdue!

Agreed on both accounts.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/29/21 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
11/27

Purdue - 66
#17 Florida State - 61

Bizarre game, in that Purdue went completely scoreless for the second quarter. I don't think it have seen that before, especially for the team then still upset a ranked opponent.

I didn't have high hopes for Purdue this year, and I am pleasantly surprised so far.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/29/21 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone know if Iowa will be playing Duke on Thursday? Did they halt the Covid spread in the team by shutting down?

~rAf
undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/29/21 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Anyone know if Iowa will be playing Duke on Thursday? Did they halt the Covid spread in the team by shutting down?

I'll be up front that I offer nothing but speculation:

COVID was detected in the team on Nov 19 -- exactly 10 days ago. The personnel who tested positive have been in quarantine, and those who tested negative have been eligible to practice in small groups of like 3-4, but I don't know if they've been taking advantage of that or not. Since all are vaccinated, I believe protocol is 10 day quarantine followed by two consecutive negative tests, 24 hours apart. Hopefully that means the team could practice by Tuesday or Wednesday... just in time to travel to Raleigh for the Thursday game... maybe...

edit: I just read this on an Iowa discussion board: "After the football game Friday [Athletic Director] Gary Barta was interviewed and was asked about WBB and covid. He said a few of them had been practicing and the rest of them were to join them the beginning of the week."

The program hasn't released any new info since 11/19. The next scheduled media appearance is 12/1 before the team is supposed to travel to Raleigh, so I have a suspicion we won't hear anything official until then. Since Iowa's original press release said the cancellations were "out of an abundance of caution," I am hoping that could mean it was just the tier 1 staff and not the players who have been affected. That could mean less set-backs to our stamina/condition/etc. However, I personally know other vaccinated student-athletes at Iowa who were symptomatic and tested positive this month, so I fear that means COVID has been spreading throughout the entire athletic department.

IUPUI offers a potential point of comparison because they were just on a COVID pause. They played 11/14, announced their positive COVID tests on 11/17, cancelled 11/18, 11/20, and 11/24, and resumed competition on 11/28. So they were able to get up and running again with 14 days between games, playing again 11 days after the COVID announcement. The Iowa @ Duke game on 12/2 would be 15 days after Iowa's last game on 11/17 vs. Southern, and 13 days after the announcement of the positive COVID tests. Make of that what you will...

last edit then I swear I'm done Laughing : Clark just liked this tweet from Rebecca Lobo which I'd say is a good sign: "It’s been fun watching @DukeWBB so far this year. Excited to call their game Thursday (9pm ESPN) against @CaitlinClark22 and @IowaWBB."

FWIW, the republican state government has barred state and county entities from issuing mask and vaccine mandates. Even though the more liberal government of Iowa City has a city wide mask mandate (which the governor tried to ban, sparking a judge to block her ban, pending further litigation), the university, as a state entity, is somehow exempt from the city rules. Confused Confused Confused

PostPosted: 11/29/21 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

COVID was detected in the team on Nov 19 -- exactly 10 days ago. The personnel who tested positive have been in quarantine, and those who tested negative have been eligible to practice in small groups of like 3-4, but I don't know if they've been taking advantage of that or not. Since all are vaccinated, I believe protocol is 10 day quarantine followed by two consecutive negative tests, 24 hours apart. Hopefully that means the team could practice by Tuesday or Wednesday... just in time to travel to Raleigh for the Thursday game... maybe...

edit: I just read this on an Iowa discussion board: "After the football game Friday [Athletic Director] Gary Barta was interviewed and was asked about WBB and covid. He said a few of them had been practicing and the rest of them were to join them the beginning of the week."

The program hasn't released any new info since 11/19. The next scheduled media appearance is 12/1 before the team is supposed to travel to Raleigh, so I have a suspicion we won't hear anything official until then. Since Iowa's original press release said the cancellations were "out of an abundance of caution," I am hoping that could mean it was just the tier 1 staff and not the players who have been affected. That could mean less set-backs to our stamina/condition/etc. However, I personally know other vaccinated student-athletes at Iowa who were symptomatic and tested positive this month, so I fear that means COVID has been spreading throughout the entire athletic department.

IUPUI offers a potential point of comparison because they were just on a COVID pause. They played 11/14, announced their positive COVID tests on 11/17, cancelled 11/18, 11/20, and 11/24, and resumed competition on 11/28. So they were able to get up and running again with 14 days between games, playing again 11 days after the COVID announcement. The Iowa @ Duke game on 12/2 would be 15 days after Iowa's last game on 11/17 vs. Southern, and 13 days after the announcement of the positive COVID tests. Make of that what you will...

last edit then I swear I'm done Laughing : Clark just liked this tweet from Rebecca Lobo which I'd say is a good sign: "It’s been fun watching @DukeWBB so far this year. Excited to call their game Thursday (9pm ESPN) against @CaitlinClark22 and @IowaWBB."

FWIW, the republican state government has barred state and county entities from issuing mask and vaccine mandates. Even though the more liberal government of Iowa City has a city wide mask mandate (which the governor tried to ban, sparking a judge to block her ban, pending further litigation), the university, as a state entity, is somehow exempt from the city rules. Confused Confused Confused

I very much want this game to happen. But I do not want a repeat of last season, where lax Louisville testing led to a Duke player contracting the virus from the game vs Louisville. That led to the Duke players cancelling their season. It is exciting to see Duke wbb returning to relevance and getting votes in the top 25 poll. Not saying we can beat Iowa right now but I'm hoping we can by the end of the season.

I have a cousin in Iowa so I know too well the stupidity run amok...as well as the strong bastions of intelligence in some locations.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/29/21 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I very much want this game to happen. But I do not want a repeat of last season, where lax Louisville testing led to a Duke player contracting the virus from the game vs Louisville. That led to the Duke players cancelling their season. It is exciting to see Duke wbb returning to relevance and getting votes in the top 25 poll. Not saying we can beat Iowa right now but I'm hoping we can by the end of the season.

I have a cousin in Iowa so I know too well the stupidity run amok...as well as the strong bastions of intelligence in some locations.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: