RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big Ten 2021-2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/26/22 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Minnesota has lost 83% to the portal.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2022/4/1/23007101/minnesota-womens-basketball-transfers-wreak-havoc-on-gophers-roster-loindsay-whalen-sara-scalia

Sounds like maybe Wisconsin may not be in the basement next year. Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/26/22 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2022/4/1/23007101/minnesota-womens-basketball-transfers-wreak-havoc-on-gophers-roster-loindsay-whalen-sara-scalia

I wonder if Whalen is having a Swoopsian moment. Sometimes it's simply too hard for good pro players to go backward enough to relate to college kids. Expectations/demands may simply be too high...especially in this era where I think some coddling is required. That transfer portal is hanging over everybody.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/26/22 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

I wonder if Whalen is having a Swoopsian moment. Sometimes it's simply too hard for good pro players to go backward enough to relate to college kids. Expectations/demands may simply be too high...especially in this era where I think some coddling is required. That transfer portal is hanging over everybody.

I dunno....I think Lindsay has shown more possibility than Sheryl ever did. But yeah....she's NOT the "Hometown Alum Girl Makes Good" that everyone expected. (Yet)
Talking about Sheryl, it's interesting to note that the three Big Stars from the wnba's first *dynasty* - Sheryl, Tina, and Cynthia - all flopped as coaches at the collegiate level. Shocked

PostPosted: 04/26/22 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

I dunno....I think Lindsay has shown more possibility than Sheryl ever did. But yeah....she's NOT the "Hometown Alum Girl Makes Good" that everyone expected. (Yet)
Talking about Sheryl, it's interesting to note that the three Big Stars from the wnba's first *dynasty* - Sheryl, Tina, and Cynthia - all flopped as coaches at the collegiate level. Shocked

I wouldn't put Cooper in the same category as Swoopes and Thompson and I wouldn't say she flopped as a coach. I also think she's a better coach than Swoopes and Thompson. Cooper's team at Prairie View had 7 wins her first year there and jumped to 21 her second year. She did alright (24-9, 20-13) at UNC-Wilmington and her first go-round at Texas Southern, and had a .500 or above record at USC; not outstanding records at USC but not the worst either.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/26/22 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper and her programs also collected NCAA violations like trading cards, so maybe that's not a good example either.

(now with spelling variations)
Howee

PostPosted: 04/26/22 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Cooper and her programs also collected NCAA violations like trading cards, so maybe that's not a good example either.

Yeah, I was gonna say.....her stats might not be utterly trash, so she exceeded the other 2 gals in that way, but with her school-jumping, the allegations, etc., her coaching status never approached her status as a star player.

PostPosted: 04/27/22 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who would have ever guessed that hiring someone with zero experience to coach a major conference program would be a bad idea?

PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/27/22 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I didn't know about the NCAA violations. That's disappointing but I still think Cooper is a better xxx and ooo's coach-teacher than Swoopes and Thompson.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/27/22 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jeanae Terry pulled out of the portal and is returning to Purdue, per Raoul’s twitter.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 04/27/22 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trinitee Jackson of Arkansas State to Oklahoma State.

PostPosted: 04/30/22 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Trinitee Jackson of Arkansas State to Oklahoma State.

Welcome to the Big Ten thread… Wink

mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/30/22 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find this announcement very odd. Carolyn Kieger received an extension at Penn State but for how long?

https://gopsusports.com/news/2022/4/29/womens-basketball-kieger-signs-contract-extension-with-lady-lions.aspx

mzonefan

PostPosted: 05/01/22 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan, Iowa, Purdue and Ohio State all have offered 7th grader (2027!) Sydney Savory. Her mom is an Assistant AD for Sport Administration at Michigan. Lisa Savory came to Michigan originally as the DOBO for Borseth. Savory played at BYU under her maiden name of Rathbun and is a Cadillac, MI native.

https://www.cadillacnews.com/sports/its-about-balance-for-cadillac-native-u-m-athletics-administrator/article_bb039738-8855-11ec-a2e5-0fc09b9f9579.html

ripleydc

PostPosted: 05/01/22 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzone, it sounds like Michigan has the inside track! 😀

Kid must be pretty special to attract so much attention at such an early age!

mzonefan

PostPosted: 05/26/22 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good news for Michigan fans. Emily Kiser is coming back for grad school/Covid year. https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Article/Michigan-basketballs-Emily-Kiser-announces-return-for-fifth-season-187997499/

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/26/22 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While Michigan didn't win the Big 10 due to a technicality of playing one fewer game, does the return of super seniors Brown and Kiser along with others have them in place to be the favorite in the league? It would say a lot about the program's rise if they could somehow lose Hillmon and still be projected to finish high. Kiser, Brown, Phelia is a strong group plus I saw they added their first mcdonald's all american via transfer.

The main thing I noticed is how tall they will be. The super seniors are Kiser at 6'3 and Brown at 6'1. All 3 incoming freshmen are over 6'0 including 1 6'3, the Oregon State transfer is 6'0. I count 9 players 6'1 or bigger and that is in a league where the other teams don't seem very big

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/26/22 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Good news for Michigan fans. Emily Kiser is coming back for grad school/Covid year. https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Article/Michigan-basketballs-Emily-Kiser-announces-return-for-fifth-season-187997499/

Very good news- last I had heard she had dipped her toe in the transfer portal!

(now with spelling variations)
mzonefan

PostPosted: 05/26/22 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Very good news- last I had heard she had dipped her toe in the transfer portal!

I’d heard the same but right around the same time I’d heard she was accepted to grad school. I’m so glad she chose/KBA approved to stay on!

mzonefan

PostPosted: 05/26/22 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
While Michigan didn't win the Big 10 due to a technicality of playing one fewer game, does the return of super seniors Brown and Kiser along with others have them in place to be the favorite in the league? It would say a lot about the program's rise if they could somehow lose Hillmon and still be projected to finish high. Kiser, Brown, Phelia is a strong group plus I saw they added their first mcdonald's all american via transfer.

The main thing I noticed is how tall they will be. The super seniors are Kiser at 6'3 and Brown at 6'1. All 3 incoming freshmen are over 6'0 including 1 6'3, the Oregon State transfer is 6'0. I count 9 players 6'1 or bigger and that is in a league where the other teams don't seem very big

I’m always terrible being objective about these things. I saw how much Indiana added (including Parrish from OR and Scalia from MN) and how much Iowa has coming back (Goodman will be returning from her ACL, Czinano playing her 5th year and CMU’s All MAC guard Molly Davis was added) and figured it would be tough for Michigan to match this coming season. We shall see!

Indiana 22-23 https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster

Iowa 22-23 https://hawkeyesports.com/sports/wbball/roster/

mzonefan

PostPosted: 05/26/22 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What do you all think about Coquese getting a second chance in the B1G? How many players will she end up with on the roster in year 1? Not only is she following a legend, but she’s a very late hire after a year of turmoil at RU. She’s getting decent money, but I wonder if it’s worth it.

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/26/22 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
What do you all think about Coquese getting a second chance in the B1G? How many players will she end up with on the roster in year 1? Not only is she following a legend, but she’s a very late hire after a year of turmoil at RU. She’s getting decent money, but I wonder if it’s worth it.

I think its worth it for her because Rutgers has had a lot of success historically. She is pretty lucky to get such a good power 5 job so soon after getting fired because Oklahoma wasn't good when she went there and Notre Dame was good this year but not last year. What sticks out is how her last few years at Penn State went. In other words she could have stayed at Notre Dame for 5 more years but who is to say she would get a better job than Rutgers? Maybe she would get a job like say TCU or some other school that hasn't won.

How many players will she get? She should be able to fill out a roster because there are surely many transfers available who would love to play in the Big Ten but it does not mean she will get to fill out the roster with Big Ten caliber players.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/26/22 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

I'd say that she's a good choice; she's definitely got the head coaching experience. Yeah, she didn't attain star status at Penn State, but she did have some excellent seasons, and 12 years at a Big Ten school certainly taught her something.

I liked her enough at Penn St., but following Rene Portland was a bit onerous, and she brought the Nittany Lions past that. Now, she's taking over at another place left in disarray again (albeit for very different reasons). Who knows? Maybe her experience will prove helpful to turning that around.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: