Aces
68%
 68%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 19

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/09/21 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
myrtle wrote:
the bad thing if the Merc win is that we have to hear the Merc fans whine for several more games.

Even for some other Merc fans it's pretty painful to wade through :/

And man, Sandy really sucks hard huh. So useless, just like we've heard on every page of every Merc game thread all season. So many heathy players and she got them nowhere.

Can we get a moratorium on complaining about Sandy or the refs for the Finals series? Ha. It's so tiring. Calls are calls, if people want to apply to be a referee, I'm sure they have a form on .com you can fill out.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/09/21 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
myrtle wrote:
the bad thing if the Merc win is that we have to hear the Merc fans whine for several more games.

Even for some other Merc fans it's pretty painful to wade through :/

And man, Sandy really sucks hard huh. So useless, just like we've heard on every page of every Merc game thread all season. So many heathy players and she got them nowhere.

Can we get a moratorium on complaining about Sandy or the refs for the Finals series? Ha. It's so tiring. Calls are calls, if people want to apply to be a referee, I'm sure they have a form on .com you can fill out.

Tbh, my issue with the refs some games this series (again, I think the first three games were reffed well) is just how they reffed. I didn’t think it favored anyone. Game 4, they lost control and everyone got beat up..but then like, they’d call a touch foul on a player that doesn’t even matter. And the bigger problem is that it just makes the game not enjoyable to watch. (There are a few NBA refs do this too) - And the reality is, it’s hard to draw in new fans when a game is reffed like that.

I’m harsh on Sandy. My opinion on professional coaches is simple, I think their most important job is rotations - and I think she’s terrible there. (Granted, she’s literally out of options at this point. Laughing )

I do think I don’t give her enough credit in some areas because of that. For instance, she’s always been an excellent Xs and Os coach. There is a reason the Merc offense can look so pretty at times.

And also, most of my focus is on the Mercury, and I’m not paying as much attention to other coaches..so maybe even though she’s got some problems, maybe she is better than most of the league’s coaches..

In the finals though..it doesn’t matter. Again, she has no options. I wish she’d play Hartley more. Bria plays good defense, knows how to get the ball to Brit (has excellent chemistry with Brit too), and can provide a burst of scoring. That being said, I don’t know if Bria is capable of going more than 15 minutes anyway. (And I’m proud and Happy for Peddy) and the truth of the matter is..this will come down to how Griner plays. If we get the Britt of game 2 and 3, and the last 5 minutes of game 5..Chicago can’t beat us.

PostPosted: 10/09/21 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve went back and watched this game twice and I’m still confused Chasingratsandogs as to why Chelsea Gray was the inbounder on that final play to tie? That was just dumb she carried you the entire 4th Qtr. I remember thinking wth is she taking it out for this is not going to end well and it ended in a BG stuff of Aja’s lay up attempt!!

PostPosted: 10/09/21 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/3KVbNOHIN8Y

Sad to see the tears from Wilson & Plum !

PostPosted: 10/09/21 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
mercfan wrote:
Wtf is this lady doing. This is part of the game.

Karen thought she was helping the team, I think.

I know exactly who y’all are referencing I kept saying Karen if you don’t fucking move! I wanna see her cry Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 10/09/21 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
bryan_february_ wrote:
Good game. Aces come up short again, what are they missing... Confused

Heart.

+1. They weren't missing anyone at the beginning of the year on paper.

Angel = Heart Idea

Lori Ann = 2 Hearts

Definitely would have been the MIP in this series. LV has her they are in the finals imo. Sorry Jackie Sorry 22 shots

PostPosted: 10/09/21 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I’ve went back and watched this game twice and I’m still confused Chasingratsandogs as to why Chelsea Gray was the inbounder on that final play to tie? That was just dumb she carried you the entire 4th Qtr. I remember thinking wth is she taking it out for this is not going to end well and it ended in a BG stuff of Aja’s lay up attempt!!

When I saw that I breathed a sigh of relief. She was who I was afraid of.

My guess is Bill didn’t trust anyone else to get the ball in. He just needed two Chelseas.

PostPosted: 10/09/21 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mean a pass back to Gray after inbounding wasn’t a bad idea for a shot in theory. Chelsea is their best playmaker so Bill wasn’t wrong to trust her to run the play he’d drew up. Imo the play was the problem & Liz not being on the floor. Jackie running back into Turner when she had clean mid range shot & Wilson weak screen for Plum was the problem. Aja going left straight under the basket was also a problem made it easier for BG to block it.I saw the same thing happened to AT in gm 3 with CP. Plum would had a easy layup if she would have cut back door when Wilson got the ball because Peddy had her back to her. Even if Turner came over she could have shot it or just pass to Young for a easy layup.
WNBA 09 wrote:

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/09/21 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watched the game on delay, and I agree with root_thing's objective analysis.

root_thing wrote:
I didn't have a horse in this race, so I just watched as a fan of the sport. What I saw was a great back and forth game with the go-ahead points scored off a lucky ricochet and an unlucky bump. Taurasi dribbled around and, with the clock running down, forced up a shot that was blocked. The ball got knocked over to Peddy, who tried to dribble to a more open space to shoot. When she stopped suddenly, Williams who was chasing her tried to stop too but couldn't. You can see on the replay that Riquna had her hands back and ended up bumping Peddy with her chest. She was not trying to block the shot. So, it was basically a random sequence. No one did anything great, no one did anything terrible. To then draw the conclusion that one team played terrifically and the other choked is ridiculous. Both teams played well. As far as I can tell, both teams showed heart -- that's how you get back and forth games. In the end, someone had to win and someone had to lose. . . . But I don't think what happened in this game merits all these judgements that people are making about individual players.

Nor do I think the game merited all the emotionally apocalyptic hyperbole about referees, coaches and player's hearts. Both teams played with skill, energy and effort, and everyone seemed to give it their all. Very exciting game with some exciting individual performances.

And the Aces almost came as close to beating the Mercury, one-and-done, as the Liberty did.
Shades

PostPosted: 10/09/21 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s a little blurry since it’s zoomed in from video, but Brondello jumping into Cunningham’s arms after Griner’s key block. One of the coach’s favorite players? She gonna be sticking around? Will Cunningham accept minimum to stick around Phoenix?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/09/21 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More importantly, will she be available to play on Sunday if she's able to catch Brondello in her arms like that?

zune69

PostPosted: 10/10/21 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just had to chime in on this game.

After falling behind by double digits, Brondello did a great job of slowing down Phoenix and making them run their offensive sets. SDS nearly gave the game away in the 3rd qt with all of the rushed low percentage shots she was taking. SDS shot 1 for 6 in the 2nd half, could've easily been 2 for 11 had Brondello not taken control (SDS started gm 4: 5 for 8 fg and finished 1 for 9)....Peddy, SDS, and DT all took turns initiating the Phoenix offense in the 4th qt.

Shout out to S.Peddy. She, along with Griner/SDS carried Phoenix in the first half.....Taurasi went Taurasi late 3rd/4th (18 pts in 13 min)

Aja did not assert herself enough during this series. You are a franchise player and MVP. Demand the damn basketball and play with a sense of urgency. Too many times I saw Wilson jogging up the court while Turner was sprinting and creating layups for her team...Cambage played with more effort, but she blew about 5 easy layups, unacceptable for a 6'8 player........Young did not show up.

Plum/Gray were fantastic.

Laimbeer is a bonehead, Why would you take Cambage off the floor on the last play knowing Phoenix would switch Griner on to Wilson?.......... Why would you run a back door lob play for Young when she is 1 for 6 fg and is being guarded by Turner? (6'3 and can jump).......Laimbeer needs to be fired.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/10/21 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
To be clear: A'ja Wilson is a top tier, MVP caliber, first team, championship level player. The Aces falling short the last two seasons, to me, aren't a huge indictment on her. This is basketball. Fate can swing wildly. A'ja did everything to keep her team in this game and in this series. The wind swung the other way. It was a heartbreaker loss. This doesn't make her a pretender or that she's been "exposed" as an inferior player.

The only player on the Aces who could be said to have "choked" was Dearica Hamby. And maybe Jackie Young, too. But definitely Hamby; somebody needs to put her face on the side of a milk carton.

Quote:
That being said, go win a 4th chip to cement your legacies and then let the young guns get theirs!

Legacies, plural? Only one in the running to win a fourth ring is Taurasi. Even Brondello would only be winning her second (as a head coach, anyway).

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/10/21 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I’ve went back and watched this game twice and I’m still confused Chasingratsandogs as to why Chelsea Gray was the inbounder on that final play to tie?

There's only one other player on the Aces' roster who I would have trusted, besides Gray, to get the ball inbounds, in that situation. And she had a torn ACL.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
canadaball

PostPosted: 10/14/21 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These playoffs are, once again, showcasing Sloot's claim as best pg in the world. Her game tying drive over BG was outstanding. There continues to be one flaw. In the close games of the CT series, I can remember 3 bad turnovers in closing minutes. Now last night, at the end of regulation she lost the ball to Diggins, and in the last 40 seconds of OT, there was the disastrous Taurasi strip Consider also that Sloot committed the worst turnover in W history, leading to the Hamby playoff clinching heave (all she had to do was hold the damn ball and dribble out the clock)!! It is amazing this 11 year perennial All Star continues to make some bad mistakes at the worst moments.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: