RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2022
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/06/21 8:50 pm    ::: Connecticut Sun 2022 Reply Reply with quote

Connecticut is a super-team when healthy, but they could use extra depth to get them to the Title. The other super-teams will continue to get better, so CON needs to follow suit. Ideally, they need starter-caliber players coming off the bench, and/or hope their young players develop. Who should they add? Question

I've been picking CON as my dark horse Championship team for a few years now... Almost made it! Idea Maybe 2022 is the year they see it through! Razz

lynxmania

PostPosted: 10/06/21 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not the thread before they’ve officially bleed out to death Laughing

PostPosted: 10/06/21 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

Hahah. I was thinking the same thing.

Absolutely wild that they bombed. Are they the first top 2 seed to not make the finals since the new format started? Hopefully both top seeds don't make the playoffs this year.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 10/06/21 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

Hahah. I was thinking the same thing.

Absolutely wild that they bombed. Are they the first top 2 seed to not make the finals since the new format started? Hopefully both top seeds don't make the playoffs this year.

Atlanta Dream in 2018 are the only other Top 2 Seed to fail to advance.

adamj95

PostPosted: 10/06/21 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe lack of #disrespeCT led to this lackluster performance?

PostPosted: 10/06/21 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They’ll be back next season with an even bigger chip on their shoulder. Especially the big three of AT, JJ, and DB as they were all DNS

I like this team but they need a true identity and culture branding that isn’t based on feeling like the underdog

PostPosted: 10/06/21 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper2009 wrote:
They’ll be back next season with an even bigger chip on their shoulder. Especially the big three of AT, JJ, and DB as they were all DNS

I like this team but they need a true identity and culture branding that isn’t based on feeling like the underdog

How long are they gonna ride this chip on their shoulder?

lynxmania

PostPosted: 10/06/21 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Cooper2009 wrote:

I mean they were the best team in the league, had the MVP, COY, MIP, and multiple players on the All-Defensive Team and should get at least 1 on the All-WNBA team... can they even have disrespCT or a chip anymore?

PostPosted: 10/06/21 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Cooper2009 wrote:

I mean they were the best team in the league, had the MVP, COY, MIP, and multiple players on the All-Defensive Team and should get at least 1 on the All-WNBA team... can they even have disrespCT or a chip anymore?

Right. That’s what I mean, that can not longer be their identity. Because everyone knows they’re better than that. Now you have to play to the level your talent warrants on a consistent basis… and that isn’t going to be done trying to just prove the world wrong.

PostPosted: 10/06/21 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cooper2009 wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Cooper2009 wrote:

Right. That’s what I mean, that can not longer be their identity. Because everyone knows they’re better than that. Now you have to play to the level your talent warrants on a consistent basis… and that isn’t going to be done trying to just prove the world wrong.

Curt Miller will find a way Laughing

PostPosted: 10/06/21 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, it's clear that Brionna Jones and Alyssa Thomas can't play together, Miller prefers AT and the Sun aren't winning anything with a Jamsine Thomas/Briann January backcourt.

Trade Jones for an elite guard who can score.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/06/21 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Well, it's clear that Brionna Jones and Alyssa Thomas can't play together, Miller prefers AT and the Sun aren't winning anything with a Jasmine Thomas/Briann January backcourt.

Would've been interesting if Courtney Williams agreed to sign whatever the Sun tried to offer her back in 2020's free agency. That's who the Sun needed in this semis series (and arguably last year's semis series as well).

lynxmania

PostPosted: 10/06/21 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Well, it's clear that Brionna Jones and Alyssa Thomas can't play together, Miller prefers AT and the Sun aren't winning anything with a Jasmine Thomas/Briann January backcourt.

Would've been interesting if Courtney Williams agreed to sign whatever the Sun tried to offer her back in 2020's free agency. That's who the Sun needed in this semis series (and arguably last year's semis series as well).

She’s an UFA looking for a new home… Laughing

PostPosted: 10/06/21 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if they max out J. Jones

and re-sign two minimum reserves
Heideman, Mompremier or S. Jones

#12 pick cross fingers for Westbrook or Ch. Williams or Hull

they'll have about 90K left to re-sign January or try to replace January with other vet guard like Sims, Hayes or SWK

J. Thomas/Heideman
(Sims, Hayes SWK or January)/Carrington/Westbrook or Ch. Williams or Hull
Bonner/Charles
A. Thomas/Mompremier or S. Jones
J. Jones/B. Jones

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/06/21 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Well, it's clear that Brionna Jones and Alyssa Thomas can't play together, Miller prefers AT...

What about the GM, though? Like I don't want to see the Sun win, anyway, but Alyssa Thomas is just about the only player on that team that I like, and I would be absolutely sick if she literally sacrificed her body for that team, and then they dumped her, and went on to win a championship, without her.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/06/21 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I mean, you're not wrong! "So CWill... will ya work for that *$140k 4-year deal* now?" Twisted Evil

(who knows what the real contract she turned down was)

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/06/21 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Yup-but they need someone who can play the point and shoot the 3. They should go after Plum.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/06/21 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Yup-but they need someone who can play the point and shoot the 3. They should go after Plum.

Noooooo Plum's coming back to Seattle in 2023! #CountIt

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/06/21 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
ucbart wrote:

If Camabe doesn't return I could see Laimbeer consider B. Jones for Plum

But I think Plum has grown on BL and I am not sure the 6 role isn't perfect for her, she is still getting plenty of minutes and shots off the bench

Actually after looking at the numbers Plum makes 180k vs B. Jones' 120K I don't think Conn can afford Plum after maxing out J. Jones even with G. Jones' 60k less they have to go 11 and with at least two minimums they have about 30k to play with on that 11th contract but would not be able to afford even a minimum if they paid Plum

Milks26

PostPosted: 10/06/21 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sun's a good team they're going to win the 'ship' sooner rather than later.

I truly believe they had the Mystics in 2019 but, the starters were just too tired because Miller never prioritize the bench. This year they may have come in too cocky after a long win streak, or they weren't prepared for the Sky's aggressive 'D" - who the hell knows.

But, for 2022 they need to work on their backcourt and bench again

PostPosted: 10/06/21 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Hopefully you won't find her on some street corner holding up a sign that reads, Will play basketball for food.

PostPosted: 10/06/21 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
ucbart wrote:

If Camabe doesn't return I could see Laimbeer consider B. Jones for Plum

But I think Plum has grown on BL and I am not sure the 6 role isn't perfect for her, she is still getting plenty of minutes and shots off the bench

Actually after looking at the numbers Plum makes 180k vs B. Jones' 120K I don't think Conn can afford Plum after maxing out J. Jones even with G. Jones' 60k less they have to go 11 and with at least two minimums they have about 30k to play with on that 11th contract but would not be able to afford even a minimum if they paid Plum

Yes, after paying JJ supermax, CT will only have $277k in cap space left. They need to spread that among 4 players (avg $69k) just to get to 11. So, no way the Sun can make a deal where they add significant salary. Besides, if Cambage leaves LVA, my bet would be on Laimbeer going after Tina Charles.

PostPosted: 10/07/21 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think there are a lot of Conn fans to piss off with this question so

I wonder if J. Jones would have any interest in going somewhere else?

(Not saying she does but sometimes when a player hits UFA/coring time is when they low key try to request a trade).

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/07/21 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I don't think there are a lot of Conn fans to piss off with this question so

I wonder if J. Jones would have any interest in going somewhere else?

(Not saying she does but sometimes when a player hits UFA/coring time is when they low key try to request a trade).

Connecticut is still in a good position to contend for at least the next two years. Bonner & JThomas are signed through 2023, and AThomas through 2024. Even if JJones wants to stay, what she could do is make Connecticut core her for the next two seasons and simply sign the QO each time. She gets the money she deserves, and she gets to keep her options open each year. Then by the time her core eligibility is exhausted, she'll be able to see if Connecticut is still in a position to contend, and perhaps make her decision of whether or not it's time to move on based on that.

I'd be shocked if she wanted out of Connecticut now, though the way free agency is these days, anything of course could & will happen. The tough thing about not ending the season with the title like you had hoped is, you have the entire offseason/overseas season to dwell on it...

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/07/21 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In order to move forward in 2022, Connecticut must analyze what happened in the Chicago series. The Sun had a great regular season. They finished with the best record in the league. They are a great defensive team. They have the league MVP on their team. BUT, they could not defeat Chicago. The Sun need to figure out if they need different players or to change their tactics in order for them to get over the hump and win a championship.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: