Mercury
36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 22

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/03/21 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ucbart wrote:
This is not a knock on A'ja because she is a great player, but the first 2.5 games of this series should be a real wake-up call that she needs to relentlessly work on taking the ball off the bounce from the high post and develop and outside game.

She is have a really hard time with the post defense of Turner and the height of BG.

It actually should be a knock on A'ja. She's totally being outplayed. I think she's one who has always gotten away with just being athletic and not trying to round out her game. Perhaps this will light a fire under her. She could be so much better than this.

Yes, you're right. It's a total knock and it's why she is a notch below the "best player in the world" conversation.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 10/03/21 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ucbart wrote:
This is not a knock on A'ja because she is a great player, but the first 2.5 games of this series should be a real wake-up call that she needs to relentlessly work on taking the ball off the bounce from the high post and develop and outside game.

She is have a really hard time with the post defense of Turner and the height of BG.

It actually should be a knock on A'ja. She's totally being outplayed. I think she's one who has always gotten away with just being athletic and not trying to round out her game. Perhaps this will light a fire under her. She could be so much better than this.

She isn’t getting the calls she usually does. Turner is a beast on the defensive end on her.

PostPosted: 10/03/21 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think BG, SDS and DT know it's this year or never to make this combo work. I think winning the two single eliminations gave them the confidence to challenge for the championship. They believe it. They don't want a repeat of 2017.

SCook

PostPosted: 10/03/21 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sandy put Skylar and Turner on the bench. Let them rest.

PostPosted: 10/03/21 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
Sandy put Skylar and Turner on the bench. Let them rest.

Bria is coming in.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 10/03/21 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Victory Cigar time!

johnjohnW wrote:
I think BG, SDS and DT know it's this year or never to make this combo work. I think winning the two single eliminations gave them the confidence to challenge for the championship. They believe it. They don't want a repeat of 2017.

Mercury are playing with the sense of urgency that I wish the Aces would.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Coyotes

It just amazes me how much Vegas has disappeared this series.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/03/21 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:

I don't think they expected the Mercury to be this much of a challenge.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/03/21 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:

They've been a paper tiger all season

PostPosted: 10/03/21 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BG and Turner really ate this team alive.

41 points, 28 rebounds, and 5 blocks between them.

Last edited by SCook on 10/03/21 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
chamomile1800

PostPosted: 10/03/21 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
mercfan wrote:
I will admit I don’t watch the Aces much during the regular season.

What adjustments do you expect them to make going into game 3?

Improving the scoring differential by about 35 points

Guess that didn’t happen Smile

PostPosted: 10/03/21 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The highest scoring team in the league scored sixty points in a playoff game. They'd only been held under 80 six times, all season.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/03/21 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

They've been a paper tiger all season

I've been a broken record, but I'll say it, again: McCoughtry. Without her, this team has no heart.

chamomile1800

PostPosted: 10/03/21 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
While I am enthusiastically and spitefully rooting against Phoenix in this series (because fuck you that's why), if Phoenix has to do well I'd rather they do it behind Turner and Griner than Taurasi and Diggins-Smith.

glad you got your wish this game Cool

PostPosted: 10/03/21 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
The highest scoring team in the league scored sixty points in a playoff game. They'd only been held under 80 six times, all season.

Makes you wonder about the Phoenix defense.

PostPosted: 10/03/21 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again, the Merc leader in +/- is Skylar Diggins

PostPosted: 10/03/21 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

No it doesn't, They were either the second or third-best defense in the league, over the course of the season. The only thing it makes me wonder about is Laimbeer's coaching.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/03/21 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
SCook wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

No it doesn't, They were either the second or third-best defense in the league, over the course of the season. The only thing it makes me wonder about is Laimbeer's coaching.

Their defense had been excellent since the break. And it should be, with Turner and Griner.

Just proud of Brit - that’s all.

Also, yes..Devin Booker 😍😍

PostPosted: 10/03/21 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Yes, you're right. It's a total knock and it's why she is a notch below the "best player in the world" conversation.

She needs a kick in the ass, not a knock. She played the first few games of the season like she was motivated to be out there, and since then it's been a crap shoot as to who's going to show up in her uniform, and worse since the Olympic break. She's gotten away with being the best player on the court right through college, and she folds when it gets tough against players that are as good or better.

Besides that, Vegas' guard defense sucked tonight. Peddy and Cunningham repeatedly blew right by Plum and Williams at will on their way to basket. WTH is up with that? Gray just looked out of sorts most of the game.

Young was playing her game, getting into the paint, disrupting the defense, and getting fouled, and she looked better than she has in this series so far. She scored 8 points in the first quarter, then spent most of the rest of the game on the bench. Add that to Bill's crap decisions in this game.

Milks26

PostPosted: 10/03/21 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vegas in

if the don't come correct the next game.

PostPosted: 10/03/21 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
SCook wrote:
Walker over Bria? Sandy Please.

Felt cute. Might play Hartley later.

Laughing Laughing

Took me out when I read it too Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 10/03/21 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

Wilson drives to the basket from the high post when I have seen her play, often drawing fouls. And I've seen her shoot 15 footers all the time with great accuracy. If she isn't doing that this series I would put that on the defense.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/03/21 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Wilson drives to the basket from the high post when I have seen her play, often drawing fouls. And I've seen her shoot 15 footers all the time with great accuracy. If she isn't doing that this series I would put that on the defense.

I mean, in Wilson’s defense - she has arguably two of the top 3 defensive post players paying attention to only her. Liz isn’t playing enough for Griner and Breezy to pay too much attention to, and Stokes doesn’t score.

PostPosted: 10/03/21 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sometimes it is not who tries harder or which coach is better. In this series, the matchups work against the Aces. In the regular season, their consistent strength was the power of the front line with Cam, Wilson, and Hamby. Here they meet their match in the Phx size of BG and Turner; plus in the playoffs, teams study the opponent much more closely. Wilson is a legit AllStar, but we all know what her shot chart looks like; there is little variety to her game, and she is better going left. With the bigger Turner, Wilson has a problem; in addition, BG is the one player in W who can neutralize Cam(has happened several times in last few years). The Aces victory, with all those Plum and Riq points, in game 1 was a mirage. They were never going to win the series that way. Game 4, with a huge crowd back in the home arena, will be tough.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: