RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/07/22 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue has announced she is coming back for another year....

https://sports.yahoo.com/wnba-sue-bird-will-return-seattle-storm-19th-year-retirement-free-agency-162313765.html

scullyfu

PostPosted: 01/07/22 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happy Dance!

PostPosted: 01/07/22 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

brody86 wrote:
Hello!

I hope this is ok to post here... I'm hoping to get over to Seattle in June to catch a couple of games (assuming covid doesn't de-rail my travel plans...) and I was just wondering if anyone knows how easy/hard it'll be to get tickets? I plan on being there for a period when there are several home games in a row. I've never booked tickets for a game abroad before either, but hoping that won't be an issue!

Thank you in advance Smile

I would suggest going to the Storm site & contact the Ticket Sales folks. Good Luck!

PostPosted: 01/07/22 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Sue has announced she is coming back for another year....

https://sports.yahoo.com/wnba-sue-bird-will-return-seattle-storm-19th-year-retirement-free-agency-162313765.html

Any SEA fans not that thrilled about this announcement? It might be good for 2022, but might it hurt the team long term?

That perfect Storm of Bird retiring and both Vandersloot and Loyd being UFA’s has now dissipated. That front will not likely reappear.

It’s often speculated that Bird will take whatever salary to help the team roster, but it never happens. So I’m not going to do it this year. Pencil Bird in at mega-max, just like Loyd and Stewart, because how are you going to value either of those two any less?

I think Prince is probably gone even though she’s signed to an non-guaranteed contract, unless it’s RFA Canada that’s gone.

I would think Russell would be a priority signing, but I could see some team throwing a near-max contract at her. Can and will Seattle match it?

They’re very lucky to listen to the sage draft advice about Magbegor. Now they have her at a bargain price. Could be time for her to rise and shine as a starter.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 01/07/22 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
That perfect Storm of Bird retiring and both Vandersloot and Loyd being UFA’s has now dissipated. That front will not likely reappear...

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/07/22 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Shades wrote:
That perfect Storm of Bird retiring and both Vandersloot and Loyd being UFA’s has now dissipated. That front will not likely reappear...

Yeah...what makes anyone think Vandersloot wants to leave Chicago AT ALL. She friggin IS that franchise. It's where she met her wife and where they share their lives together. Allie's family is there. Just like Bird, I don't see Vandersloot retiring from anywhere other than the team that drafted her.

PostPosted: 01/07/22 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Yeah...what makes anyone think Vandersloot wants to leave Chicago AT ALL. She friggin IS that franchise. It's where she met her wife and where they share their lives together. Allie's family is there. Just like Bird, I don't see Vandersloot retiring from anywhere other than the team that drafted her.

This is just rehashing old arguments.

Where were they married again? Had to be Chicago, right? Where else could it be?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-sky-and-wnba/2021/11/6/22759371/for-the-first-time-in-her-wnba-career-courtney-vandersloot-is-truly-a-free-agent

Quote:
The 2022 season will be Vandersloot’s 12th in the WNBA, and for the first time in her career, she truly will be a free agent. It’s somewhat of a head-scratcher considering she technically has been a free agent multiple times already but never for real. She always has signed with the Sky, driven by the goal of bringing a championship to the organization that drafted her.

Vandersloot isn’t sounding the farewell alarm by any means, but after securing a title for the Sky, she’s open to the free-agency process and all that it entails.

“I haven’t thought a lot about it,” Vandersloot said. “I told [Skycoach/general manager James] Wade I was going to be a free agent this offseason. Whatever that means. I told him we will stay in constant conversation. I just want to be open and transparent. I really have no idea what’s going to happen next season.”

Apparently you had it all figured out when Sloot herself had no idea. But now that Bird is re-signing, it probably makes a decision a little bit easier anyway, if she had SEA in mind. There may have been people tweeting the idea at her. You never know. Smile

And then there’s this guy running interference.

Quote:
“As long as I’m coaching, I’m going to do everything for [Allie Quigley and Vandersloot] to be back in Sky jerseys,’’ Wade said. ‘‘As long as they’re playing basketball, I want to be their coach.”

He seems pretty sure of himself. DeShields flopping and Copper rising last season probably made some decisions easier for him.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/07/22 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does the CBA limit the number of mega-max contracts a team can have?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/07/22 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Does the CBA limit the number of mega-max contracts a team can have?

Only via the other team cap rules. 4 is possible, although everyone else on the roster would need to be cheap. 5 doesn't fit.

PostPosted: 01/07/22 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Shades wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Michelle89

PostPosted: 01/08/22 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great news! Im not worried about her salary. My guess is that she will sign for anything if that means Stewie, Loyd, Russell (and Canada) can stay

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight

PostPosted: 01/14/22 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/DougFeinberg/status/1482031510249250817

Quote:
AP source: @seattlestorm got fined for its tweets about @S10Bird coming back to play one more year in league.

PostPosted: 01/14/22 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Storm cored Loyd

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 01/14/22 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Storm cored Loyd

Fascinating! They must have some assurances about Stewie coming back, otherwise they would have used the core on her.

-Lisa

PostPosted: 01/14/22 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I expect Stewart to go back to Seattle, but I also expect every GM to at least give her a call just to be sure

PostPosted: 01/15/22 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What if Stewart change her mind, and bailed... that would be fun.... Twisted Evil

Last edited by ChicagoAnnie on 01/15/22 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 01/15/22 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I expect Stewart to go back to Seattle, but I also expect every GM to at least give her a call just to be sure

Does she live in SEA year-round (when not playing overseas, of course)? Just curious.

sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 01/15/22 3:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
pilight wrote:

Does she live in SEA year-round (when not playing overseas, of course)? Just curious.

Yes, she has her permanent home up here in Seattle with her wife and child.

-Lisa

PostPosted: 01/15/22 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sithinfiltrator wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
pilight wrote:

-Lisa

That doesn't gaurantee anything because Skylar Diggins still lives in Dallas during the off-season and specifically stated she plans to continue doing so despite playing in Phoenix.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/15/22 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty sure Candace Parker still considers Los Angeles her primary residence. Chicago is her “home” for promotional purposes.

McCoughtry lives in Atlanta. I wonder where she’ll end up playing.

craigmont

PostPosted: 01/15/22 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
sithinfiltrator wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
pilight wrote:

-Lisa

That doesn't gaurantee anything because Skylar Diggins still lives in Dallas during the off-season and specifically stated she plans to continue doing so despite playing in Phoenix.

Yes, all we have to go on with Stewart is, oh, I don't know, every single thing she's said over the offseason.

Also, there's no way the Storm don't core her if there's any danger of her leaving.

(Now watch something crazy happen and me having to eat this post later.)

Shades

PostPosted: 01/15/22 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:

Yes, all we have to go on with Stewart is, oh, I don't know, every single thing she's said over the offseason.

Also, there's no way the Storm don't core her if there's any danger of her leaving.

It’s not exactly a daring prediction. Not like Loyd and Vandersloot switching places. And it might have happened too if Bird didn’t have this big documentary coming up and she wanted extensive footage from her last season in the league.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 01/16/22 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
sithinfiltrator wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
pilight wrote:

-Lisa

🤣🤣🤣🤣

craigmont

PostPosted: 01/19/22 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After thinking about it some more-

If you're the Storm and you want to win the championship this year- Sue Bird's final year-you need to go Superteam and try to get Tina Charles. Mainly because some good team is going to get her, and that team will then be a Superteam.

Do you really want to have to play against her on an Aces, Sun, Sky, Lynx, etc? (Don't @me, I don't know everybody's cap situation except to leave Phoenix off this list.)

It makes so much sense for the Storm. If Stewie gets hurt, you still have Tina, and vice versa.

It would be great if you can still keep Russell. I love Russell, she's a nice player, but she's not Tina Charles.

Keep Canada for when Bird gets hurt and /or sits out a big chunk of the schedule to rest for the playoffs. Canada with Loyd/Stewie/Charles and whatever 3 is still great.

Magbegor, Talbot, and KLS are still good pieces, and Burke should probably play more too.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/19/22 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
After thinking about it some more-

If you're the Storm and you want to win the championship this year- Sue Bird's final year-you need to go Superteam and try to get Tina Charles. Mainly because some good team is going to get her, and that team will then be a Superteam.

Do you really want to have to play against her on an Aces, Sun, Sky, Lynx, etc? (Don't @me, I don't know everybody's cap situation except to leave Phoenix off this list.)

It makes so much sense for the Storm. If Stewie gets hurt, you still have Tina, and vice versa.

It would be great if you can still keep Russell. I love Russell, she's a nice player, but she's not Tina Charles.

Keep Canada for when Bird gets hurt and /or sits out a big chunk of the schedule to rest for the playoffs. Canada with Loyd/Stewie/Charles and whatever 3 is still great.

Magbegor, Talbot, and KLS are still good pieces, and Burke should probably play more too.

I also don't know all the cap space issues but wasn't there concern that Seattle could afford Bird, Jewell and Stewie at max? How do they then afford Charles anywhere in a competitive salary range?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: