RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/26/22 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Teams often claim the 3 and 4 are interchangeable, but they rarely are defensively. Obviously it's good if people can switch and survive, but virtually every team ends up with two players who primarily have to defend bigs/inside and three who have to defend the perimeter. Burke's a pretty bulky 6-1, even if that's all she's listed at. I've just always thought she had more chance of being acceptable there defensively while using the advantage that creates at the other end to produce, than becoming a successful WNBA wing.

But Seattle didn't seem to like her much as either last season, so we'll see.

PostPosted: 04/26/22 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren Manis waived

PostPosted: 04/27/22 2:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Teams often claim the 3 and 4 are interchangeable, but they rarely are defensively. Obviously it's good if people can switch and survive, but virtually every team ends up with two players who primarily have to defend bigs/inside and three who have to defend the perimeter. Burke's a pretty bulky 6-1, even if that's all she's listed at. I've just always thought she had more chance of being acceptable there defensively while using the advantage that creates at the other end to produce, than becoming a successful WNBA wing.

But Seattle didn't seem to like her much as either last season, so we'll see.

Burke is certainly long, and did play I think more 4 at UCLA than 3 (or 2), though I don't see what one would call bulkiness to her. Still, you may be right. Emily Engstler at 6-1 is probably gonna play some 4 for Indiana, and I'd call her only a little more bulky than Burke (though not as long-armed). Either could succeed. We just haven't seen enough of either, though.

I wonder if anyone would pick Burke up if we were to cut her. That could also factor into whether or not we just keep her. Atlanta remains the most favorable place to pick up anyone of any variety – pretty much all other teams who will be waiver-wire fishing are imo more likely to go after a true post than anything else.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/27/22 2:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Double post

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/29/22 1:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, the most likely rookie to make the team would be Westbrook. That much is clear to me. She was pretty much first off the bench in both preseason games, and performed pretty well in this most recent one. Maybe UConn/the college ranks was holding her back. Who knows.

Cunane still has an outside chance – if we kept her, that's probably a bad sign regarding when Mercedes Russell comes back. But I could also see Cunane getting cut tomorrow – along with Perez, Giacone, Harding, and yes, Harrigan. Kiki is just not getting it done, it seems. And we traded a whole-ass 1RP for her, too. Oh well. Can't be too sentimental over it when we just traded another one away to get (possibly only one year of) Gabby Williams.

Even then, Westbrook could easily get cut, simply if we want to keep Burke. But are we even gonna play her this time? At least Westbrook would be used on the days Bird (and/or January) need rest days. That probably amounts to as much if not more time than Burke saw last year.

Ultimately, I've had to learn not to get attached to anyone. Just not enough roster spots/teams in this flawed League to be able to see those who deserve a chance get one. Cut every fringe player mentioned above and just go waiver-wire fishing, who cares anymore. Laughing

My last guess is us waiving all the borderline players and re-signing one to a hardship contract while Burke is abroad and Russell is MIA.

PG: Bird/January
SG: Loyd/Prince
SF: Talbot/GWilliams (or vice versa)
PF: Stewart/[Lavender]
C: Magbegor/[Lavender]

Not With Team: Burke, Russell

Hardship player: Westbrook or Cunane

Not that any of this roster stuff will matter, like, a month from now. I really need to stop obsessing…

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/29/22 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At UConn, last year, Westbrook was asked to play a role that was needed. She came off the bench to add defense, scoring when necessary, passing, play at the 4 because ONO and gang were mostly in foul trouble, her basketball intelligence and her mature leadership.

Evina Westbrook is pro-ready.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/30/22 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Storm waive Jenna Giacone and Paisley Harding

PostPosted: 05/02/22 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reshanda Gray signed a Training Camp Contract

PostPosted: 05/02/22 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

Why would they do this?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/02/22 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

Why would they do this?

Because they've watched Cunane and Herbert Harrigan in camp and gone "shit, we still need a fifth post"?

PostPosted: 05/02/22 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
craigmont wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

Why would they do this?

Because they've watched Cunane and Herbert Harrigan in camp and gone "shit, we still need a fifth post"?

😆😆😆

PostPosted: 05/02/22 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Storm waive Elissa Cunane and Raina Perez

PostPosted: 05/02/22 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cunane and Perez waived.
https://www.twitter.com/SeattleStormPR/status/1521239159972655104

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/02/22 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty inevitable but I feel for both of them.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 05/02/22 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also from the pictures on Twitter - Gabby Williams and Briann January have arrived as well.

PostPosted: 05/04/22 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ROSTER UPDATE: The Storm has waived Evina Westbrook, Kiki Herbert Harrigan, and Kennedy Burke.

Which gets us down to the final 11:

Bird/January
Loyd/Prince
Williams/Talbot
Stewart/Lavender/Gray
Russell/Magbegor

Shades

PostPosted: 05/04/22 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And it looks like Russell will be out until further notice, making Gray the backup for starter Magbegor.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Milks26

PostPosted: 05/04/22 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
ROSTER UPDATE: The Storm has waived Evina Westbrook, Kiki Herbert Harrigan, and Kennedy Burke.

Not surprised by these cuts

PostPosted: 05/04/22 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
And it looks like Russell will be out until further notice, making Gray the backup for starter Magbegor.

Source?

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/06/22 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Shades wrote:

Source?

Quote:
Kevin Pelton
@kpeltonWBB
An update from the Storm on the status of center Mercedes Russell:
"Russell is in the process to return to play following a non-basketball related injury. She is expected to miss another 3-5 weeks, a more specific update on her return date will be provided when available."

https://twitter.com/kpeltonWBB/status/1522366916249092096?cxt=HHwWgICszZ-pxKAqAAAA

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 05/06/22 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics pickup Kennedy Burke after clearing waiver.

Mixolydian

PostPosted: 05/06/22 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Mystics pickup Kennedy Burke after clearing waiver.

Happy she found a spot. I thought she showed a lot of promise in her limited minutes last year.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 05/11/22 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kennedy Burke is said to be arriving in DC next Monday in time for the Mystics trip to Dallas.

I haven't been giving thought to Kennedy Burke until the Mystics picked her up off waivers from the Seattle Storm. What's the 411 (strengths and weakness as a player)) on Kennedy Burke? Mike Thibault must think highly of Kennedy Burke to hold a roster spot for her until she returns from Spain.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/11/22 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Kennedy Burke is said to be arriving in DC next Monday in time for the Mystics trip to Dallas.

I haven't been giving thought to Kennedy Burke until the Mystics picked her up off waivers from the Seattle Storm. What's the 411 (strengths and weakness as a player)) on Kennedy Burke? Mike Thibault must think highly of Kennedy Burke to hold a roster spot for her until she returns from Spain.

I'm no expert but this is my impression, partly from her UCLA days. Very active, good defensively, good length and athleticism, runs the floor, shooting so-so.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/11/22 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

I'm no expert but this is my impression, partly from her UCLA days. Very active, good defensively, good length and athleticism, runs the floor, shooting so-so.

I would agree with that assessment. An under-appreciated positive about Burke is that she is strong (182 lbs) and has long arms. Kennedy plays bigger than her 6-1 height.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: