RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2022
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/25/21 11:59 am    ::: Dallas Wings 2022 Reply Reply with quote

Will the Wings take flight or will they continue to be penguin wings?

PostPosted: 09/25/21 12:35 pm    ::: Re: Dallas Wings 2022 Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Will the Wings take flight or will they continue to be penguin wings?

Well, despite their 47 first round draft picks the last 2 years, it appears the Wings have one legitimate player in Sabally and potentially another in Kuier. They could start by evaluating talent better.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/25/21 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They 'just' need a good PG and a good post. Then they would at least have a starting five, which they don't currently have. Cool

I don't know what to think about Arike. Half the time she is a superstar. The other half of the time she totally destroys momentum by shootiing clunker after clunker. If I were a Dallas fan, it would drive me crazy.

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/25/21 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
They 'just' need a good PG and a good post. Then they would at least have a starting five, which they don't currently have. Cool

I don't know what to think about Arike. Half the time she is a superstar. The other half of the time she totally destroys momentum by shootiing clunker after clunker. If I were a Dallas fan, it would drive me crazy.

Put a leash on Arike and build your entire franchise around Sabally. This league is dominated by versatile bigs and she has the potential be one of the brightest stars, but not when Arike is the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd option.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 09/25/21 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sitting at a very long basketball tournament today, and started looking at shooting stats for the Wings. Are those numbers made up? seems like very little of the season data would correlate with the smell test. According to stats Moriah Jefferson shot 46% from 3 for the season. If the spread sheet is correct then the Wings need to keep her and find a way to get her more shots.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/25/21 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Before they need to infuse veteran talent/leadership into this team, they need to figure out positionally what everyone is. There is a lot of positionlessness going on, but it's not necessarily the kind you want.

A) Is Ogunbowale more effective at the 1 or the 2? (I say the 2.)
B) Is Sabally more effective at the 3 or the 4? (I say the 4.)
C) Is Thornton more effective at the 3 or the 4? (I say the 3.)

And then role definition.

D) Is Mabrey more effective as a starter or a bench player?
E) Is the long-term solution for the starting center position (perhaps amongst others) currently on the roster?
F) Which rookies & sophomores do you invest in, and which ones do you give up on? (between Alarie, Collier, Dungee, Harris, and Kuier) Decide now. Realistically you'll only keep 2-3 players out of this group if you're aiming to acquire veteran talent.

And this is all before you figure out which vets out there you're gonna go after, and how to best use your two 2021 1RPs.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 09/25/21 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Put a leash on Arike and build your entire franchise around Sabally. This league is dominated by versatile bigs and she has the potential be one of the brightest stars, but not when Arike is the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd option.

I feel like Arike did a lot better this year. It seems like she forced a lot of times when she had to. A lot of times the rest of the team just stood around and watched. The offense is not designed anything like the Sky with off ball screens, back cuts and any sort of movement.

I feel like Sabally was out so much and they misused Harrison that it really created an iffy offensive scheme. I’d like to see Izzie develop a 3 point shot. Is it too late? Idk, but she seems to have really good form.

I also feel saying put a leash on any W player is in poor taste. But that’s just me, I guess.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 09/25/21 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
I also feel saying put a leash on any W player is in poor taste. But that’s just me, I guess.

While I respect the way you feel about it, I've heard that term applied to athletes of all races and genders (for example, white male quarterbacks), so I don't think it's that bad at all. You've got to be able to use the language expressively to some degree.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/25/21 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The defensive numbers on Arike, especially this year, are the scariest part. She plays so many minutes that her time off the floor is a fairly small sample size, but in those 287 minutes that she didn't play Dallas had a defensive rating that would've been second only to Connecticut in the overall team rankings. The offense dropped off without her but nowhere near as much as the defense improved. They had a +6 net rating without her vs a -3.6 net rating with her on the court this season.

There's always a lot of noise in these numbers but I do feel like this team still needs rebalancing (even if they still can't find the consolodation trade that they'd obviously like to make). If nothing else you need to take the ball away from Arike more on the offensive end so that she can use more energy on defense (while obviously having to convince her of this shift, as well)

PostPosted: 09/25/21 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope MoJeff remains healthy and gets out of Dallas. Plenty of good things to come from her, I sincerely believe.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/25/21 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
I hope MoJeff remains healthy and gets out of Dallas. Plenty of good things to come from her, I sincerely believe.

I agree. If she’s healthy: I want her to agree to a buyout next year, and then sign with the Storm on the cheap. Despite all of the health setbacks she’s had the past five years, she has not forgotten how to shoot, and she’s still a capable PG.

Multiple folks need to find a way out of Dallas imo… essentially the entire bottom half of the roster, all of whom were picked between Picks #1-7 in their respective Drafts, and none of whom are really old enough to have been washed up. Confused

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/25/21 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:

that appears to be a big IF. But so far she hasn't shown that she could be more than a backup, and if she can't stay healthy, not even that.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 09/25/21 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Before they need to infuse veteran talent/leadership into this team, they need to figure out positionally what everyone is. There is a lot of positionlessness going on, but it's not necessarily the kind you want.

A) Is Ogunbowale more effective at the 1 or the 2? (I say the 2.)
B) Is Sabally more effective at the 3 or the 4? (I say the 4.)
C) Is Thornton more effective at the 3 or the 4? (I say the 3.)

And then role definition.

D) Is Mabrey more effective as a starter or a bench player?
E) Is the long-term solution for the starting center position (perhaps amongst others) currently on the roster?
F) Which rookies & sophomores do you invest in, and which ones do you give up on? (between Alarie, Collier, Dungee, Harris, and Kuier) Decide now. Realistically you'll only keep 2-3 players out of this group if you're aiming to acquire veteran talent.

And this is all before you figure out which vets out there you're gonna go after, and how to best use your two 2021 1RPs.

All the things I have ZERO faith in Bibb and VJ to have the where with all to be able to do!!!

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 09/25/21 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

I agree. If she’s healthy: I want her to agree to a buyout next year, and then sign with the Storm on the cheap. Despite all of the health setbacks she’s had the past five years, she has not forgotten how to shoot, and she’s still a capable PG.

Multiple folks need to find a way out of Dallas imo… essentially the entire bottom half of the roster, all of whom were picked between Picks #1-7 in their respective Drafts, and none of whom are really old enough to have been washed up. Confused

When I read comments like this it makes me wish we didn't even have a WNBA team because everyone outside of Dallas wishes nothing but the worst for this organization and it's very annoying, then again, I'm a life long Cowboys fan so I guess I should be used to it....smdh!!!

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 09/25/21 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I approve this message🤦

Milks26

PostPosted: 09/25/21 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I've been saying that for the longest but, alas, I'm afraid that they're so up Arike's a*s it might never come to pass.

I think Slooty's a free agent next yr (correct me if I'm wrong). Would love to see that vet PG lead this team and teach/mold Mabrey and Harris if they are kept

Arike has shared the ball a little better this season compared to last year but, beyond terrible on defense. Also, needs to work on her discipline.

VJ did enough to keep her job, but, she needs to get things in order. Trade, aquire, draft and stop being so indecisive with rotations.

Overall, though, this organization will fly soon. They can't be dodo birds forever.

PostPosted: 09/26/21 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I've been saying that for the longest but, alas, I'm afraid that they're so up Arike's a*s it might never come to pass.

I think Slooty's a free agent next yr (correct me if I'm wrong). Would love to see that vet PG lead this team and teach/mold Mabrey and Harris if they are kept

Arike has shared the ball a little better this season compared to last year but, beyond terrible on defense. Also, needs to work on her discipline.

VJ did enough to keep her job, but, she needs to get things in order. Trade, aquire, draft and stop being so indecisive with rotations.

Overall, though, this organization will fly soon. They can't be dodo birds forever.

I LOVE the Sloot idea but it will never happen!

I don't ever see them changing their position on Arike unless she pulls a: Powers, Cambage or Diggins-Smith fiasco.

Bye Harris.....

I don't trust VJ as the head coach of this team in any capacity beyond what we've already seen, even worse....I feel even less confident with Bibb running the show to ever bring this organization up to the next level!!!

pilight

PostPosted: 09/26/21 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
I don't trust VJ as the head coach of this team in any capacity beyond what we've already seen, even worse....I feel even less confident with Bibb running the show to ever bring this organization up to the next level!!!

The team looked more cohesive than they've ever looked in Dallas. She's got them on the right track.

PostPosted: 09/26/21 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:

The team looked more cohesive than they've ever looked in Dallas. She's got them on the right track.

I disagree! The team looked it's most cohesive the first year under Agler, however, once they collectively decided no one on the team liked him "personally" the entire team pulled back so to speak but if VJ is who you like, I will not argue with your choice!

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/26/21 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trade suggestion: Dungee and Harris for DeShields.

PostPosted: 09/26/21 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

Dungee and Harris have no value as players. People always think that you can add some spare parts together to get something useful, and that just isn't how talent and success in this league works.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/26/21 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Dungee and Harris have no value as players. People always think that you can add some spare parts together to get something useful, and that just isn't how talent and success in this league works.

Nice. Make the trade.

PostPosted: 09/26/21 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

I would expect this suggestion from a Dallas fan, not from you.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/26/21 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think for Dallas it is a question of how fast do you want to get to where you are trying to go.

The easiest and yet viable approach would be to add your two first round picks #4 (unless they get lucky in which case it could be #1 or #2 Dallas can not get number 3 because only the first two lottery picks are drawn then the other two spots go in order record LA has the best record so anyone in the bottom two with LA/Dallas automatically get #3).

lets say you are able to go Austin with lottery your lottery pick and Burrell with #7 (those seemed like the popular picks when discussing picks) then you land somewhere like

Mabery/Jefferson/Harris
Ogunbowale/Burrell
Gray/Thorton
Sabally/Austin/Collier
Harrison/Kuier or Alarie

If you don't land Austin and Burrell
Smith, Cunane, Carter, Hillmon, Henderson, Westbrook still give you options for another post and/or wing or back up PG

It is still a young team but there is a lot of room for internal growth, if everyone stays healthy this might not be a championship contender but it is a team that will continue it's upward trajectory and a team that will be able to win on any given night.

I don't think this is a really bad approach tbh Ogunbowale and Sabally are on their way to all-star status, Jefferson, Harrison, Gray, Mabery and Thorton or all decent rotational pieces, if Austin, Burrell, Collier or Kuier develop into real contributors you have a strong squad.
The following year Jefferson and Harrison are out of contract and you can max out your own RFA and probably go big game hunting on the free agent market.

next post on the subject will be about trades and free agents

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 09/26/21 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

+1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: