RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Opinion piece on WNBA playoff games being relocated

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevenHW

PostPosted: 09/24/21 8:42 am    ::: Opinion piece on WNBA playoff games being relocated Reply Reply with quote

http://beyondthew.com/tired-wnba-playoff-games-being-relocated-to-alternate-arenas/

Quote:
Instead, the first round of Liberty-Mercury will emanate from Grand Canyon University of all places. Phoenix’s X-Factor is one of the most passionate fanbases in all of women’s sports (arguably in the entire WNBA). That X-Factor will be in full force, obviously, for that game, but there is something that has to rub a women’s sports fan the wrong way when playoff games involving women’s teams get treated as an afterthought.

Why the relocation, by the way? It appears because Footprint will be hosting a concert that evening. As much as we love women’s sports, we are also major connoisseurs of music here at Beyond The W. Still, this scheduling conflict should have been handled much better by those who handle the scheduling process for Footprint.

The article doesn't say who wrote the piece, but I would guess the author of most of the website's pieces is Akiem Bailum.

https://twitter.com/akiembailum

PostPosted: 09/24/21 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem with this particular conflict is that Maluma is one of the most popular music artists in the world. It's a top tier concert for that venue and that city.

I do agree that it looks horrible and delegitimizes the league. The games should be moved to different dates in those instances. I know that brings up logistical problems but it is what the players deserve.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/24/21 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think both recent PHX playoff games at college arenas have been fairly successful.

I'd argue we need W specific arenas. I highly doubt Washington, Connecticut or Vegas are in much danger of getting bumped in the playoffs. I'd rather have 10k seat arenas built for a W team than sharing these NBA arenas.

Arenas are a business and a huge drain on the team for operational costs. PHX selling out footprint center would never equal the cash they made on Maluma. However, a Suns game likely would. The arenas will always chose the highest profits.

mercfan

PostPosted: 09/29/21 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BIG BUMP

Mercury loses gym to Disney on Ice. Will play at Arizona State for game 3.

Tally24

PostPosted: 09/29/21 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
BIG BUMP

Mercury loses gym to Disney on Ice. Will play at Arizona State for game 3.

There have been a series of YouTube videos about this...the story is making its way to mainstream circles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: