29%  [ 8 ]
Lynx
70%
 70%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 27

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/27/21 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Oh, look, is this about to turn into yet another indictment against single elimination in the second round?

_________x

PostPosted: 09/27/21 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Napheesa Collier shined on big stages all year, until the Lynx needed her in the playoffs

https://www.startribune.com/napheesa-collier-lynx-disappeated-playoff-loss-lynx-sky-wnba-jim-souhan/600101147/

Quote:
An All-Star power forward should accidentally collect more than four rebounds in 35 minutes, and should accidentally score more than eight points, especially when that All-Star has been playing on basketball's big stages — from UConn to Tokyo — for years.

PostPosted: 09/27/21 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Napheesa Collier shined on big stages all year, until the Lynx needed her in the playoffs

https://www.startribune.com/napheesa-collier-lynx-disappeated-playoff-loss-lynx-sky-wnba-jim-souhan/600101147/

Quote:
An All-Star power forward should accidentally collect more than four rebounds in 35 minutes, and should accidentally score more than eight points, especially when that All-Star has been playing on basketball's big stages — from UConn to Tokyo — for years.

Quote:
The Lynx's loss in a single-elimination WNBA playoff game to Chicago at Target Center was directly related to Napheesa Collier's unusually lackluster performance.

Ooof Shocked Shocked Embarassed Embarassed

PostPosted: 09/27/21 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

This is what y'all have been asking for - media that's not afraid to be critical! The only correction I would make is, can you really say she "played" in Tokyo when she averaged, what, 45 seconds/game? (edit: should have been Nneka)

That said, I'd say him questioning whether Collier can be the centerpiece of this team after Fowles retires is a bit alarmist. One bad game is just that--one bad game. Still a great player.

PostPosted: 09/27/21 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Single elimination games should be reserved for high school and college tournaments. Other than football which is a collision sport, pro basketball playoffs should be a series of several games. The best team will always win in a playoff series even if the better team has one or two bad games.

PostPosted: 09/27/21 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bump

PostPosted: 09/27/21 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Is it weird that I find I enjoy Candace way more on Chicago than on LA? Like..I’m actively rooting for her now. Laughing

Me, too! I live in SoCal but NEVER have been a Sparks fan, and had little use for CP3.

Now that she's with Chicago, I find her demeanor so different - she seems to enjoy the game and her teammates, and now I'M pulling for her! (Well, except in this game, since I'm a Lynx fan.)

Phee was AWOL in the game, much to my regret, so I'm with the Sky all the way forward!

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 09/27/21 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Oh, look, is this about to turn into yet another indictment against single elimination in the second round?

well, I was thinking between this and the Seattle game, it is a pretty strong statement.

If a team is not as good because one of the best players on the planet is injured then that is not the fault of the system, so the Storm game isn't a great example IMO.

As for this game, it's the playoffs. Show up.
To me, none of these #3-#8 teams are anything special so this season it seems especially appropriate to eliminate a bunch of them quickly.
If they're gonna insist on 8/12 in the playoffs (which they shouldn't) then the Richyyy system is well worth a try though.

I have been a season ticket holder since 2007. First in Chicago and then in Dallas. Court side initially. Row 3 now. I have spent 10s of thousands of dollars on tix and merch. Essentially, that is all I can do to help the women in their sport. I have gotten the opportunity to see 4 playoff games in person in that time. Which, is an additional expense that I happily pay for. A lot of y’all wanna whine about the 8th seed making it, but as a fan that is giving all I can, I’d like the chance to see my team play and hope against hope they win. Win or go home is BS in my opinion, and I’m happy to see my 8th seeded wings or 4th in the East Sky get a chance to play their way into the finals.

So what's your ideal solution? The quarter finals style 1v8, 2v7, etc. format using best of 3?

Well, there have been several proposals that could work. I think there are a lot of us tix holders who support the W with money who would like to see a home game and get the excitement of the opportunity to play into the post season. Give byes out to the top 2 teams. But let’s have 3 game series until the finals.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 09/28/21 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Media in general did piss-poor coverage of collier’s ‘injury’ and going in to this season I figured she was a top tier player.

She deserves better coverage overall, and is pretty greatly overlooked by the media. It was very annoying to all year hear how Layshia turned the lynx season around, Um that just happened to coincide with phee’s return to the team as well.

What’s not good is it seems Powers scoring increase seemed to come at the expense of Phee’s overall play. Less ball movement and less cutting/slashing for collier. Dantas’ injury didn’t help either having to be the primary 4.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: