RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/21/22 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
The New York Liberty announced today that the team has signed guard and 2020 WNBA Rookie of the Year Award Winner, Crystal Dangerfield on a hardship contract.
Crystal will be available for the Liberty’s upcoming road trip, beginning with the Minnesota Lynx on Tuesday, May 24th at 8 p.m.

Hardship plus audition. There were no small guards previously under Kolb, but I've always sensed that he gives his coaches what they want. I'm guessing this is a Brondello move.

PostPosted: 05/21/22 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Changes are good, it could motivate and fuel this team to start playing better

It's a Hardship contract, but if she plays well they have to consider her for rest of the year.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/21/22 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:

It's a Hardship contract, but if she plays well they have to consider her for rest of the year.

It’d have to be much later down the road.

And you’d have to cut somebody most likely not named Willoughby, since she’s guaranteed next year, despite never being able to stay healthy.

And that would also mean Johansson isn’t coming over, unless you’re willing to cut two people from the current roster.

I am getting kinda tired of teams of using Dangerfield as a hardship signing right before they play the Lynx. Reeve is probably like “here we go again”.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/21/22 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I seriously doubt the Liberty signed Dangerfield to get inside information on the Lynx. New York can't even figure out their own plays. So, clogging their players' brains with a deep dive of what Minnesota does seems like information overload. New York just badly needs a quick ballhandler who can contend with pressure.

It doesn't look to me like the Liberty qualify for a regular hardship. I assume this is an emergency hardship, which means at least three players will be out. Didi, Willoughby, and who else? Han was sick, Cubaj got conked on the face. Or maybe a new injury/illness?

PostPosted: 05/21/22 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I seriously doubt the Liberty signed Dangerfield to get inside information on the Lynx. New York can't even figure out their own plays. So, clogging their players' brains with a deep dive of what Minnesota does seems like information overload. New York just badly needs a quick ballhandler who can contend with pressure.

Less about inside information and more about being motivated to play well enough to hurt the Lynx. The Fever may not have beat the Lynx without her.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
RavenDog

PostPosted: 05/21/22 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:

It’d have to be much later down the road.

And you’d have to cut somebody most likely not named Willoughby, since she’s guaranteed next year, despite never being able to stay healthy.

And that would also mean Johansson isn’t coming over, unless you’re willing to cut two people from the current roster.

I am getting kinda tired of teams of using Dangerfield as a hardship signing right before they play the Lynx. Reeve is probably like “here we go again”.

Can the mouse steal the cheese again? Laughing

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/21/22 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

It doesn't look to me like the Liberty qualify for a regular hardship. I assume this is an emergency hardship, which means at least three players will be out. Didi, Willoughby, and who else? Han was sick, Cubaj got conked on the face. Or maybe a new injury/illness?

Regular hardship based on Willoughby and Richards being out 3+ weeks was my guess, then confirmed by Myles Ehrlich: https://twitter.com/MylesEhrlich/status/1528048598826508288

PostPosted: 05/21/22 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Regular hardship based on Willoughby and Richards being out 3+ weeks was my guess, then confirmed by Myles Ehrlich: https://twitter.com/MylesEhrlich/status/1528048598826508288

I thought Willoughby had to miss two games. She only missed one. For that matter, Richards came back and since then has only missed one game. And she's expected back in about a week.

PostPosted: 05/21/22 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone know what's going on with the Liberty ticket office? I've been trying to contact my rep for over two weeks and then the general @tickets line for over a week and ever direct tweeted the Liberty and can't get a response from anyone. It shouldn't be this hard to buy extra tickets!

PostPosted: 05/21/22 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

I thought Willoughby had to miss two games. She only missed one. For that matter, Richards came back and since then has only missed one game. And she's expected back in about a week.

The first player has to be out for at least the next three weeks. The second player has to have missed at least two games, and be out for the next three weeks. Willoughby meets the first spot, Richards meets the second.

PostPosted: 05/21/22 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's crazy that the 2020 rookie of the year was out of the league in the season 2 years later. Dangerfield was only the 16th pick in 2020.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/21/22 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
Does anyone know what's going on with the Liberty ticket office? I've been trying to contact my rep for over two weeks and then the general @tickets line for over a week and ever direct tweeted the Liberty and can't get a response from anyone. It shouldn't be this hard to buy extra tickets!

It's been like this for two years. Justin Smith took over the Sales Department and he was a disaster. They replaced him, but it's still a disaster. Last year I chronicled how hard it was to renew our season tickets. So far, we have also had no luck getting our refund or credit for last year's LA game that was played without an audience. Smith had promised it would be deducted from my 2022 tickets. After he was fired, I asked my new rep to do the same. He said he would look into it. Nothing happened. After a couple of months, I sent him an email. No response. I ran into him at the draft party. He said we'd talk, but he never came by. Then, the guy called me on Tuesday to see how I was doing. I reminded him about the LA refund/credit situation, which he then claimed to not remember. Nonetheless, he said getting a credit would be a hassle. So, he offered to get me a couple of free tickets for friends -- but not sitting with us. Well, the team has already offered free tickets to STHs through their "buddy" program as a way to identify prospective STHs. So, getting me free tickets for friends is a duplicate benefit. I offered up the idea of receiving credit to use on merchandise. He said he'd look into it. In the meantime, the guy said we should talk at the game. He told me to text him when I arrived at the arena. I got to the game about 50 minutes early when Barclays' was almost empty. I texted my rep, like he asked, thinking this would be a perfect time since he probably wasn't busy. Surprise, surprise -- he never came by. I should add that during our phone conversation, I highlighted the problems we've had with the Sales Department. My rep made a point of saying that things will change now that he's here. HA!!!

NWF has had similar experiences with his hard-to-reach rep. Even though we now sit together, because we have separate accounts, somehow different reps are assigned to us. I asked my guy how management distributed accounts to their agents. He confirmed it was neither by arena section nor alphabetical order. After hemming and hawing a bit, he admitted he couldn't explain the logic.

So, you are not alone. The Sales Department remains a disaster.

PostPosted: 05/21/22 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

The first player has to be out for at least the next three weeks. The second player has to have missed at least two games, and be out for the next three weeks. Willoughby meets the first spot, Richards meets the second.

Richards came back. She missed more than two games previously, but not since reinjuring herself. I guess this is like calling fouls: we're giving her continuation. However, I seem to remember Jackie Powell saying Didi would be back by the end of the month, which is not even close to three weeks. For this too, I guess Didi gets continuation.

PostPosted: 05/21/22 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Richards came back. She missed more than two games previously, but not since reinjuring herself. I guess this is like calling fouls: we're giving her continuation. However, I seem to remember Jackie Powell saying Didi would be back by the end of the month, which is not even close to three weeks. For this too, I guess Didi gets continuation.

Richards missed the first two games, came back for one game, and has then missed the two since then. Hence meeting the criteria.

PostPosted: 05/21/22 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
OK that was a lot of turnovers, yikes!

Normally I am for staying the course we have a week to recalibrate but

should we consider cutting someone and signing Dangerfield?

or at least revisiting the idea that we are in need of some ball handling help?

Hooray I got something right finally

I. Like dangerfield hope she makes the most of the opportunity sounds like she has a couple weeks to make an impression

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/21/22 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Richards missed the first two games, came back for one game, and has then missed the two since then. Hence meeting the criteria.

My mistake. I guess with three games in five days, it's all running together in my mind. I thought Didi played in the Dallas game. Still, if Richards is out three additional weeks starting from May 17th, that means she'll be unavailable through June 7th. That's news we haven't heard before.

J-Spoon wrote:

You're a volume shooter. Razz

PostPosted: 05/21/22 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve always liked Dangerfield, even coming out of college, so her signing is an interesting one. Her WNBA performance has mostly been more combo-ish than point guard-ish. Minnesota played well in 2020 with Dangerfield doing her thing though. I think she’s capable of developing more from the playmaking standpoint as well.

She may just stick beyond the hardship period. I would have seen Onyenwere as expendable if not for losing Willoughby. Even with that loss Onyenwere MIGHT be expendable but they’ve been using her as an undersized 4 here and there. Without great success but still, someone has to be available to back up other players.

Hopefully Dangerfield can be ready to contribute with just a few days of preparation. I’m still skeptical about the team’s prognosis at this stage (their net rating is twice as bad as the next worst team) but I’m hoping for the best.

PostPosted: 05/21/22 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

I. Like dangerfield hope she makes the most of the opportunity sounds like she has a couple weeks to make an impression

Great job, J-Spoon. You are one-for-one. Any previous predictions or recommendations you've made are ancient history!

With Willoughby and Richards out, with Onyenwere and AD struggling, with Johannes not here and not definitely coming, this is a great opportunity for Dangerfield.

PostPosted: 05/21/22 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dangermouse at the pro level has been a better scorer than playmaker. However, the Liberty just need someone with a strong handle and elusiveness who can make other teams pay when they apply pressure. NY has no one like that right now.

PostPosted: 05/21/22 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surely someone would throw you a second-round pick to take a look at Onyenwere. At the very least a third. Although, if you take sentiment out of it, unless you really think it's about building back up after a long absence, the obvious cut would seem to be AD.

PostPosted: 05/21/22 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Surely someone would throw you a second-round pick to take a look at Onyenwere. At the very least a third. Although, if you take sentiment out of it, unless you really think it's about building back up after a long absence, the obvious cut would seem to be AD.

With Willoughby out for perhaps six weeks--and of course it could be more--I think it makes sense to take a longer look at Onyenwere.

The injuries to Willoughby and Richards give AD an opportunity to get more playing time and make a contribution to the team. But at the same time these injuries increase the pressure. If New York is going to be playing with a reduced roster due to injuries, they need to genuinely get something from their bench players.

PostPosted: 05/22/22 6:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

I’m not sure about stamina, etc. But strictly my opinion, I think AD’s athleticism and overall ability are relatively unscathed. For me personally, I’d rather take a chance with that than with Onyenwere, who I’m starting to lose faith in.

Also, if we figure the Liberty will have a pretty high second round pick in a draft that seems pretty good, two of their draft picks plus Sabally and possibly Kone will already be added. They could get another second rounder in a trade, but I can’t foresee that player making the team either.

Though after this season I guess some housecleaning is also possible. I just don’t know who’s taking any of our players. Howard at the max isn’t like tradeable. Dolson maybe since she only has one year left on her deal. Sami is UFA so that gives some wiggle room. Maybe Han will choose not to come over.

I’m kind of frustrated right now. I think Dangerfield was a nice add and yes Connecticut is great defensively. Sabrina had a couple of turnovers induced by Jasmine Thomas. But, having suffered through watching a replay, the vast majority of Liberty turnovers were just unforced mental errors. Dangerfield might help a little but I think the problems go well beyond a PG or just initiating offense. As an example, by the fourth or fifth time someone just jumps a passing lane to intercept or deflect a telegraphed pass, can we have someone go backdoor or flare? Either would be available instead of making the same mistake multiple times. There’s so many execution-related things happening that are separate from the defense, it’s just hard to understand. By now, whatever you think of the PG situation, these things should just not be happening.

This all said, I really am a Dangerfield fan. She has some mental toughness and a willingness to take important shots. I think right now that’s needed on the Liberty and it might help to jump start the offense. Also, maybe the team can actually run some. Besides Sabrina not being fast, she’s also often crashing the defensive boards. The combo of both of those means the Liberty almost never run. Dangerfield might get them some needed fast break opportunities. Her presence might also make teams think twice about applying the type of pressure they apply.

Figure Dangerfield’s presence probably relegates Sami to fewer minutes. I’m fine with that. I am concerned about defense and rebounding though. Dangerfield is tough and competitive but small. Her net plus/minus was just decent in 2020 during her stellar rookie season and the worst on the Lynx last year. In fairness she was not given a consistent opportunity last year. But then again maybe there’s a reason. Minnesota replaced her with another small guard in Moriah Jefferson, so size wasn’t the factor in that decision. All I know is I like her game and maybe she just needs the right opportunity. She’ll get it with the Libs. Who knows, if they play better offense maybe it will help them improve defensively and rebounding. Last game was all about CT scoring off turnovers.

PostPosted: 05/22/22 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New York traded their 2023 2nd Round pick to Seattle for Cubaj, so they only have 1st and 3rd Round picks. Not that it matters when the Liberty already have Sabally, Kone, Fauthoux, and even Shook waiting in the wings. While it's possible a 2nd Round pick next year could turn out better, there's no reason to expect such a draft choice to be better.

New York had 10 new players in 2020, 7 new players in 2021, and 4 this season. There are only two players left from 2020 -- Ionescu and Willoughby. You can't just keep turning the roster over. The truth is that their veteran free agents have been terrible so far. All have PERs under 10. Howard is low woman at 7.2. One can easily argue that she single-handedly lost the game to Indiana. If instead of going 1-15, she made just one more basket in regulation, then NY would have won. Other things that stick out are Laney with zero offensive rebounds in 4 games. Not that you expect your small forward to have a lot of O-boards, but zero indicates a lack of hustle. Dolson was brought in partly because she is a good 3pt shooter. So far, she has one 3pt basket in five games. Whitcomb's problem is simply that she's been invisible overall. After scoring 15 points in the first game, she has averaged 5.5 in the next four. And of course, the whole team has been cartoonishly bad when it comes to turnovers, led by the starters. These are your veteran leaders. Howard and Laney are supposed to be stars. So, if your best players are bad, then the team overall is going to be horrible.

If NY has to tear it down again after having cleaned house twice already in three years, then there's something very wrong. On paper, there's no reason why this team shouldn't at least be competitive. Losing by 30 twice in five games is expansion team-level play. Admittedly, the Liberty have had a lot of challenges -- multiple injuries, a condensed schedule, players arriving late -- while trying to learn new systems under a new coach. That's why we haven't really gone off on Brondello. But she needs to pull this thing together sooner rather than later. Sandy and Kolb also have to tweak the roster. It's not like the lack of ballhandling hasn't been discussed over and over again before the season started. The same is true about the offseason signings of Dolson and Allen. Both were heavily questioned. So, now is the time for Brondello and Kolb to prove they actually have the situation under control. Since you can't keep firing coaches or turning over the roster, then if this debacle continues the next head to roll has to be Kolb's.

PostPosted: 05/22/22 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Tsais had to have considered firing both Kolb and Hopkins. Walt was Kolb's choice and not a good one. The two of them chose to invest heavily in 2020's six non-Sabrina rookies and it's been a bust. Two seasons later, all we have is the again injured, unproven Willoughby (whom I like as a player) and the possibility that Shook (who in my view has never shown much) may return next year.

This is definitely a make-or-break season for Jonathan Kolb. I don't believe New York has to win the WNBA title for him to save his job. But if it's a poor or mediocre season then he's gone.

PostPosted: 05/22/22 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Always useful to have chips to make deals with, even if a gained second-rounder might be unlikely to make the team if it was actually used on a player. And you never know what might open up, anyway. This time last year no one would've expected the Liberty would be making a mid-draft trade to add a mid-second-round post who'd actually be needed in the rotation.

Which is basically just to say - if you can get something for a player in a trade rather than cutting them, you do it. I wouldn't trade Onyenwere just to do it, but if they were thinking about cutting her anyway you make the phone calls.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 44 of 55

Jump to: