RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 05/06/22 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
The Liberty sign Kaila Charles as a hardship player. So, much for everybody practicing yesterday.

You can practice but not be game-ready, sorta like Alysha Clark.

Who will be missing the game for the Liberty?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/06/22 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:
The Liberty sign Kaila Charles as a hardship player. So, much for everybody practicing yesterday.

You can practice but not be game-ready, sorta like Alysha Clark.

Who will be missing the game for the Liberty?

I know, but nobody on the Liberty was as far behind as Clark. These are more likely recent developments.

Myles Ehrlich thinks Didi is one of them. Whitcomb and Willoughby were mysteriously absent from Saturday's open practice. Laney is known to be aching. AD still has bad spells. Onyenwere was mysteriously absent from videos and pictures early in camp and didn't participate in the CT scrimmage. So, lots of candidates.

PostPosted: 05/06/22 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, it sounds like Didi and Laney will be out.

Quote:
Jackie Powell (she/her)@ClassicJpow .1m

A league source tells @TheNextHoops that the Kaila Charles hardship contract will only be for the Saturday night opener.

DiDi Richards injured her other hamstring during the Sun scrimmage and won’t be available on Saturday, and neither will Betnijah Laney.

PostPosted: 05/06/22 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
So, it sounds like Didi and Laney will be out.

Quote:
Jackie Powell (she/her)@ClassicJpow .1m

A league source tells @TheNextHoops that the Kaila Charles hardship contract will only be for the Saturday night opener.

DiDi Richards injured her other hamstring during the Sun scrimmage and won’t be available on Saturday, and neither will Betnijah Laney.

Regarding Didi Richards and her "other hamstring," was the first hamstring injury in the past or recent? Am I correctly understanding that BOTH of her hamstrings are injured?

PostPosted: 05/06/22 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

Regarding Didi Richards and her "other hamstring," was the first hamstring injury in the past or recent? Am I correctly understanding that BOTH of her hamstrings are injured?

First time I'm hearing about it myself. All we know is that Didi has been standing on the sidelines with her uniform rolled up to expose a bare midriff. Does cooling off your tummy relieve pain in your hamstrings? Laughing

PostPosted: 05/06/22 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

First time I'm hearing about it myself. All we know is that Didi has been standing on the sidelines with her uniform rolled up to expose a bare midriff. Does cooling off your tummy relieve pain in your hamstrings? Laughing

Didi is always looking good when cameras are close by.😁

PostPosted: 05/06/22 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Didi is always looking good when cameras are close by.😁

Maybe Didi has has a Abs Chill or maybe her shorts were hiked up too
high? Why does Sandy B allow this to happen ?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/06/22 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps lots of you are aware of this, but I wasn't. So just in case anyone else wasn't....

It's midway through the 4th quarter and Seattle is crushing Minnesota. One of the Seattle subs is... RESHANDA GRAY!!!

She's on a training camp contract. I hope she sticks.

PostPosted: 05/06/22 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Perhaps lots of you are aware of this, but I wasn't. So just in case anyone else wasn't....

It's midway through the 4th quarter and Seattle is crushing Minnesota. One of the Seattle subs is... RESHANDA GRAY!!!

It is a training camp contract so as of now she has stuck, they cut both Herbert-Harrigan, Burke and both their rookies to make room for her or at least instead of her.

Now when Russell is healthy I guess they could decide to use their last spot on someone else and waive her but since she is not a hardship exemption she is on the roster for now even when Russell is healthy so that is good.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/06/22 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

Yeah, Reshanda was signed less than a week ago on May 2, and they decided to keep her. Since you like to keep track of the Liberty's 7 Wubble rookies, Megan Walker (Atl) and Joyner Holmes (CT) both made rosters. Leoanna Odom just missed, getting cut on the last day by Phoenix.

PostPosted: 05/07/22 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Yeah, Reshanda was signed less than a week ago on May 2, and they decided to keep her. Since you like to keep track of the Liberty's 7 Wubble rookies, Megan Walker (Atl) and Joyner Holmes (CT) both made rosters. Leoanna Odom just missed, getting cut on the last day by Phoenix.

Thanks for this update. I read days ago that Jaz Jones was waived by Indiana. Has she been signed elsewhere? I haven't seen that she has. If I've got that right, here's where the scoreboard stands on New York's seven Wubble rookies:

Only Ionescu and Willoughby still with the Liberty
Walker on Atlanta, Holmes on Connecticut
Jones, Shook, and Odom not currently playing for WNBA teams

On another note... assuming that Laney and Richards won't be in tonight's opener, that seems likely to mean more minutes than might have been expected for Onyenwere and AD. I expected Willoughby to get plenty of minutes even if everyone was healthy. Now I'd guess Willoughby will be in the starting lineup.

PostPosted: 05/07/22 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m looking forward to seeing Willoughby play. Sandy mentioned her playmaking as a strength in addition to her scoring. If that’s how it shakes out, she’ll bring some of the same things to the table that Laney does.

PostPosted: 05/08/22 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've got questions about watching Liberty games at home and would appreciate any advice.

I've signed up for WNBA League Pass. Will that work for all Liberty games that aren't on national TV? I've seen mention on that site of local blackouts. Will that keep me from watching on League Pass?

I'm also concerned that some Liberty games, including home games, will only be on the YES app. I have a new Windows 11 computer. It's not clear to me how to install that app on my computer.

Many thanks for any feedback and suggestions No rush.

PostPosted: 05/08/22 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I've got questions about watching Liberty games at home and would appreciate any advice.

I've signed up for WNBA League Pass. Will that work for all Liberty games that aren't on national TV? I've seen mention on that site of local blackouts. Will that keep me from watching on League Pass?

I'm also concerned that some Liberty games, including home games, will only be on the YES app. I have a new Windows 11 computer. It's not clear to me how to install that app on my computer.

Many thanks for any feedback and suggestions No rush.

Live games will be blocked out on League Pass due to them being available locally on YES. You'd probably be better off getting the YES app instead of League Pass if you live in the NYC market. I was in Buffalo and Liberty games were blacked out when being broadcast by Yes or MSG.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/08/22 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, johnjohnw, for your immediate response and suggestions. I'm fine with League Pass because I'll watch non-Liberty games here and there. And I can get YES on my TV through Spectrum. I'm concerned about the YES app since installing it on Windows 11 looks a bit challenging. And, at least for the moment, there are Liberty home games that I may only be able to get that way. (And would rather not watch on my phone!) If you or anyone have any information or thoughts about the YES app, I'll be grateful.

Sorry to take up time and space here with my technological struggles. I promise to keep that to a minimum.

PostPosted: 05/08/22 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty Press Conference 5/7/22: Brondello, then Howard & Ionescu

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eZKfBSXl0II" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sandy said the team struggled early because they were playing like it was 2021. Ouch! She complained that they weren't moving the ball, and described the 2021 style as hard to watch. Laughing

PostPosted: 05/08/22 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those for whom it is important to watch games live, it seems to only work if you have access to the various stations/channels for that to happen.

League Pass makes locally blacked-out games available shortly after the games are complete.

Don't know about the YES app specifically, but it looks like you can sign up on this link from your PC: https://watchyesnetwork.com/

PostPosted: 05/08/22 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
For those for whom it is important to watch games live, it seems to only work if you have access to the various stations/channels for that to happen.

League Pass makes locally blacked-out games available shortly after the games are complete.

Don't know about the YES app specifically, but it looks like you can sign up on this link from your PC: https://watchyesnetwork.com/

Thanks so much, ChiSky54. Alas, I tried the Yes Network link from my computer but at the end it wouldn't install the app. Perhaps I'll be watching some games on League Pass after they're over. I appreciate your kindness.

PostPosted: 05/09/22 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If it's like League Pass, the app is for mobile devices; on a PC, you just log into the website. The same username and password, once you create them, will work for both platforms. Maybe YES is different?

PostPosted: 05/09/22 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
If it's like League Pass, the app is for mobile devices; on a PC, you just log into the website. The same username and password, once you create them, will work for both platforms. Maybe YES is different?

I'm replying to ChiSky54 with a private message. I encourage anyone else who has thoughts or suggestions to send me a PM and I will reply that way and thank you. I should have said this earlier. I apologize for taking up too much time and space here with my problem.

And thanks as always to root_thing for posting Liberty press conferences!

PostPosted: 05/09/22 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me, Sandy’s offense has much better off-ball screening than Walt’s. Walt’s was more predicated, IMO, on Sabrina or Laney breaking down the defense and then establishing the ball movement. Sandy’s creates better angles for simpler passes and more side-to-side ball movement. Friday featured no Laney, but a healthy Sabrina, healthy Howard, healthy Sami and healthy Willoughby. Don’t get me wrong, I like Sandy’s offensive style a lot. As a person whose only sports skill is shooting a basketball, I think it’s an excellent approach to free up shooters. I think it’s sustainable and hard to scout because the motion creates a variety of options.

But Walt was not dealt a fair hand last year either. Yes their offense stagnated a lot last year. But they had a lot of games last year where one or both of their two playmakers was not healthy enough to break down a defense either.

PostPosted: 05/09/22 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why did no "reporter" ask Sandy at the presser Saturday, why Han did not play even a minute?
The Liberty have to stop passing the ball around so much , unless they are going to start playing "Sweet Georgia Brown" like the Globetrotters!

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/09/22 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the answer is obvious. All of CT’s post players outweigh Han by 15-20 pounds. Why play her when Cubaj matched up well and played well?

PostPosted: 05/09/22 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I think the answer is obvious. All of CT’s post players outweigh Han by 15-20 pounds. Why play her when Cubaj matched up well and played well?

Well said.

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 05/09/22 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/09/22 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If individual matchups are the reason why Han didn't play, then they might as well send her home to China right now. That was supposedly the reason 3 years ago. If things haven't changed after all this time, then they should just move on. This league is full of effective post players of all shapes and sizes. You can always make some kind of excuse to not use Han -- she's too skinny or not quick enough. To me, it misses the point. As I've mentioned before, Han plays ball denial on defense. She's not trying too hard to bang with opponents. You want inside position? Take it. Let's see your point guard toss a lob pass over Han. Or if you establish position in front, let's see how easy it is to make that entry pass with Han's long arms reaching around to knock the ball away. If she matched up with Brionna Jones, Han would be 7 inches taller with long arms to match. And it's not like Han is just some lightweight. While relatively thin, she's still 193 lbs -- only 7 pounds lighter than Cubaj. I'm not suggesting that Han is any kind of shutdown defender. The question is can she defend as well as Dolson or Cubaj. I just rewatched the game. I don't see how Dolson offered any huge advantage guarding Brionna Jones. And with Han's superior offensive ability, I think she could have done better than Dolson's -12 plus/minus. At the open practice, Han must have scored roughly half of the team's points. It's not as if she doesn't know what it's like to face WNBA players. Before the pandemic, Fowles, Cambage, Charles as well as lesser but still physical players like Kelsey Bone played in China. And lest we forget, Han scored 20 points against Team USA at the World Cup in 2018. Yes, they were meaningless points in a blowout game, and Griner sat that day. But still, I can't imagine that Stewie, Nneka, Charles, EDD, or Wilson liked watching an 18-year-old drop 20 points on them. And 4 years later, I'm pretty sure Han is even better.

What I would understand is if Han isn't playing because she hasn't mastered the team's playbook. It's hard to instruct someone who doesn't speak your language. Han's translator this year doesn't seem that sharp -- I wonder if she knows anything about basketball. At the open practice, there were a couple of stoppages where Sandy had to tell Han where she was supposed to be. It seemed like Xu was setting screens in the wrong place. Afterward, I could see Han trying to set a pick, and if the play went elsewhere, then she drifted around looking a bit lost. There was also an article that mentioned Olaf was unhappy with the way Han sets screens. He took her aside and tried to teach her what he thought was proper technique. We think of making reads as being related to passing or cutting but screeners have to read the play too. So, maybe Sandy didn't want Han gumming up the offense when they were already anticipating a tough time against the best defense in the league. Throw in the fact that Han is a weak rebounder which could get magnified against last season's second-best rebounding team. I can see why Brondello might want to work with Han a bit longer to make sure she fully grasps team concepts and functions properly within their system.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 39 of 55

Jump to: