RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChiSky54

PostPosted: 05/14/22 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howard's decline is a headscratcher - is she injured? I remember that she had issues during the wubble season because she didn't have access to training facilities. But why would that be a factor now? In Chicago, I kept looking at her trying to figure out who she was. Something had changed, and it wasn't only her hair.

I didn't watch this game, but you know first of all that you are in trouble when Indiana beats you these days! (The Sky struggled with them in recent years, which was annoying.). From the box score, Danielle is making 3s now! Dolson fouled out. Indy rebounded their behinds off! NY didn't play Han - WHY?

PostPosted: 05/14/22 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From a speed and quickness standpoint, Howard looks healthy to me. But I could be mistaken. She looked great in the open practice. Hitting 3s, hitting floaters.

In regular season play, she’s rushed some jumpers, taken some contested ones. And also missed plenty in the paint. It’s inexplicable. I think a little of it is getting comfortable in a somewhat different offense. But she missed plenty of paint shots that she would make in any offense. Then you have 16% 3 point shooter Danielle Robinson making 25 footers. I don’t know what to say, but without a consistent group of 3 leading your scoring, with Dolson not being starting caliber, and with little post support off the bench, I think the Liberty have problems ahead even when Howard’s offense normalizes. Asking Sabrina to score 30 points just to keep us in games that feature rebounding issues, defense issues and up and down offense just isn’t going to work. Kolb told us these off-season moves were made to take the Liberty to the next level. I don’t see it. It’s also why when I thought Sabally would play this year at some point I was pretty excited. Had we plugged her in off the bench, she’d be at least a factor offensively and defensively.

And clearly they have no intention of using Han, who in theory should help a team’s offense in a lot of ways. If NY was already -24 on the glass and Howard couldn’t really score last night and Dolson’s defense was already substandard last night for the most part, how could Han’s presence do anything to make the struggling parts worse? At least when she’s in there she’s very difficult to guard and can get you the easy baskets that we struggled to get last night. And if we can’t use her when it matters, why haven’t we acquired someone we actually can use, if the goal is to take this season to another level?

Oh and guess which team is last in the WNBA in opponent free throw attempts per game? Yup, you guessed it. New coach, new system, new construction, same old stuff. Though so far, I thought the last two games were for the most part officiated equally. It’s just that this was a discussion point for Brondello. And it’s another thing I think they’re going to struggle to fix.

And Cubaj is now 1-7 off the bench for the season. 0.67 points per game is our post contribution off the bench this year. Contrast that with Engstler’s play off the bench for Indiana. It may not seem like much, but it’s a contribution that features offense, defense and rebounding.

PostPosted: 05/14/22 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Kolb told us these off-season moves were made to take the Liberty to the next level.

He meant the next level down.

Howard missed a lot of close-in shots last season. Not this many of course, but the problem was already visible last year.

I don't see how conditions can get any more favorable for using Han than last night:

1) Through 3 quarters, no one could hit a shot except Sabrina. The team was starving for offense.
2) Howard was awful, shooting 1-15 yesterday after 4-13 and 5-14 in the two previous games. That works out to 10-42 23.8% for 3 games.
3) NY's starting post tandem of Howard and Dolson got killed off the boards by Egbo and Smith by 11 to 31.
4) Han had led NY in scoring the previous game despite playing only 9 minutes.
5) I didn't solely focus on Han during warm-ups, but when I did watch, she made every shot.
6) Baylor faced 6-6 Ayoka Lee twice this season. They slowed her down in the second game by gearing their whole defense to stop her. However, in Game 1, Baylor tried to use single coverage on Lee and she had her way with both Egbo and Smith. Ayoka scored 32 points on 11-16 shooting. Han is four inches taller, quicker, and more skilled than Lee. There is good reason to believe Han would have been effective against Egbo and Smith.
7) Yesterday was AAPI Heritage Night. They showed an extended video of Han speaking to the audience in Chinese. She talked about proudly representing Asian basketball players and hoping there will be more in the WNBA in the future.
8 ) The free give-away was a poster of Han

Now, if you can't use Han under those circumstances -- not even for one token minute to back up your big sales promotion -- then when are you ever going to use her? I guess the answer is only late in games when NY trails by 25 points or more. Is this a good use of a roster spot? For this, you haggled with Chinese bureaucrats and dragged Han here from the other side of the world? Not to mention pressuring Sabally, Kone, and possibly Shook to sit out the season when likely at least one of those people wanted to play. Confused

PostPosted: 05/14/22 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Now, if you can't use Han under those circumstances -- not even for one token minute to back up your big sales promotion -- then when are you ever going to use her? I guess the answer is only late in games when NY trails by 25 points or more. Is this a good use of a roster spot? For this, you haggled with Chinese bureaucrats and dragged Han here from the other side of the world? Not to mention pressuring Sabally, Kone, and possibly Shook to sit out the season when likely at least one of those people wanted to play. Confused

Have to start wondering about whether there's something beneath all this. Does Sandy Brondello feel that Han was forced on her by the Tsais and Kolb? This is pure speculation. But how would Brondello answer the detailed, completely valid analysis offered by root_thing?

Indeed, even if we were to ignore all the basketball issues raised, how can you NOT play the one Asian player on your team on AAPI Heritage Night? Imagine what some members of the Liberty's marketing staff might say if they didn't care about losing their jobs!

Bottom line: could Han have possibly hurt the team more than a player who was shooting 1-15?

PostPosted: 05/14/22 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i have seen occasions when the coach pulled all the starters when they weren't getting the job done and put in the bench players.

It has always puzzled me that many teams play "Insanity" - continuing to do the same thing and hoping for a different result. Yeah, shooters allegedly have to shoot themselves out of a slump and such, but you're paying all the players - why not put them all in at some point and not just in "garbage time"? You put them in, give more experience, correct mistakes and keep them motivated.

Yeah, the bench is often full of great cheerleaders, but that's not why they got drafted/signed to the team. They are PLAYERS - let them play!

Having the additional information that r_t provided, it's all the more puzzling why Han was glued to the bench... Confused Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 05/14/22 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Noteworthy also, as said on the broadcast, was the revelation that Sandy intended to move/play Onyenwere at the 4 spot. What if you had Han on the floor as a sub for Dolson when Engstler was guarding Dolson? Force Indiana to make a decision by dictating matchups instead of having them dictated to you by playing Onyenwere at the 4 spot. That’s a last year move. Something we were supposed to be beyond. Either you’re going to be a physical, grinding team or you’re going to be a finesse team. I don’t think transitioning from one to the other is so easy. While Han is finesse-oriented, it would force Indiana to make matchup accommodations. We have a 6’10” player with a good array of offensive skill. There’s a major opportunity to dictate things that force other teams to make hard decisions. It’s just so frustrating. I think it beats using Onyenwere at the 4 spot where she still clearly cannot rebound.

And yes, on a night honoring the Asian community, having Han not play at all is pretty egregious. From a basketball standpoint, Han might have struggled with Egbo’s physicality also, it’s possible. But it would have gotten Egbo off of Howard and forced Smith to guard her more often. And Egbo was having her way even with the starters anyway. It also would have forced Egbo to guard Han away from the basket, a less than desirable place for Egbo to have to try to defend.

Eventually you just run out of answers. Moving forward I guess we just have to assume that we’re going to roll with the three posts. And I’d imagine Bec will be the stretch 4 when she returns.

A very similar player statistically, Bernadett Hatar, was on the way to being given an opportunity by Indiana until she got injured last year. Also not a dominant rebounder or defender. But she was a very difficult matchup offensively and caused defenses to adjust. And Han is a far more skilled offensive player than Hatar.

PostPosted: 05/14/22 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems almost impossible to come up with a reason not to give Han some time on the court last night.

PostPosted: 05/14/22 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
It seems almost impossible to come up with a reason not to give Han some time on the court last night.

X_______________________ !

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/14/22 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
Howard's decline is a headscratcher - is she injured? I remember that she had issues during the wubble season because she didn't have access to training facilities. But why would that be a factor now? In Chicago, I kept looking at her trying to figure out who she was. Something had changed, and it wasn't only her hair.

I thought this too. It's almost like her face looks a bit bloated. Hope she's ok and not being medicated for something. But missing all those bunnies is really troubling. And I agree about trying some other lineup when you have someone being that ineffective. All in all very puzzling.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/14/22 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As far as handling physicality goes, Han practices against 6-7 banger Li Yueru on the Chinese national team. She also played against WNBA players (Fowles, Cambage, Charles) and former WNBA players in the Chinese league -- not to mention actually being here in 2019. Why would Han be less prepared for the WNBA than kids fresh out of college?

If you go back and read the Phoenix threads from last year, the major complaint was that Sandy kept using Nurse and Walker even when they were playing terribly. The fans much preferred Cunningham. But Sophie had to wait until the second half of the season to finally get more playing time. So, maybe we're seeing the same thing here. Han will just have to wait until everyone else looks undeniably horrible to get a chance.

PostPosted: 05/14/22 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just think she’s not physically strong compared to certain players based on her hands, shoulders and her lower base. She doesn’t really move people and she’s vulnerable to being displaced. 193 pounds in a 6’10” player is different than say 6’4” 190.

But that said, Dolson’s lack of lateral movement is a weakness too. And she’s deemed able to play anyway. And if you’re already getting manhandled, Han being out there doesn’t make you any more vulnerable than you were already, and it might jump start your offense.

If this is how it’s going to be, I’d rather be in the lottery.

PostPosted: 05/14/22 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
If you go back and read the Phoenix threads from last year, the major complaint was that Sandy kept using Nurse and Walker even when they were playing terribly. The fans much preferred Cunningham. But Sophie had to wait until the second half of the season to finally get more playing time. So, maybe we're seeing the same thing here. Han will just have to wait until everyone else looks undeniably horrible to get a chance.

Hmmm. I see a connection here. Kia Nurse... Megan Walker... Han Xu... all played for the New York Liberty before 2022. And before Sandy Brondello became their coach Smile

PostPosted: 05/14/22 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I just think she’s not physically strong compared to certain players based on her hands, shoulders and her lower base. She doesn’t really move people and she’s vulnerable to being displaced. 193 pounds in a 6’10” player is different than say 6’4” 190.

But have you actually seen Han get displaced? If you push against her, Xu often gives way and steps around. It's like displacing water. DeWanna Bonner is 6-4 143 lbs. Just about every small forward in the league is heavier than her -- not to mention the times when DeWanna plays power forward. Does CT have to worry about physical players like 180 lbs Jocelyn Willoughby or 178 lbs Michaela Onyenwere pushing Bonner around? No. Bonner uses her length to engage opponents in different ways than a normal size player.

Brondello has coached very tall people in Griner and Cambage as well as the skinniest player in Bonner. I really don't think this is about Han's size or strength. I believe it has to do with Sandy's perception of how Xu will execute within her systems. It also seems like Brondello identifies players whom she considers most likely to be key contributors. Afterward, she sticks with them and is really patient when they struggle.

PostPosted: 05/14/22 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw her get displaced by a 6’3” male practice player who scored a layup on her in the post if that means anything. Other than that it’s been three years so it’s hard to remember specifics. Bonner is a bad comparison because Bonner is a freakish athlete. Bonner also has spent a vast majority of her career being an on-ball perimeter defender, not defending the post. If Han defended like Bonner she’d be a starter.

I can’t read the mind of a coach I don’t know, but watching Han function in a complex motion offense in China, if it’s an execution thing then it’s probably a communication thing. It may not be a size/strength thing. I can only go by what I can physically assess. I think Han has borderline elite offensive skills and a very high basketball IQ. She is well below the WNBA average for strength and rebounding. Whether that’s a primary factor in Sandy’s decision-making, who knows?

For me, either way, there’s matchups where Han can and should be playing. She did require a few corrections in the open scrimmage, but her execution did look pretty good overall. It’s possible those corrections are an influence in Sandy’s thinking.

But if so, why are we wasting a roster spot on a player who the coach doesn’t believe in? Whether it’s execution or physical reasons. We aren’t deep enough in the post for this sort of thing. Our top players aren’t good enough for us to be a top-heavy team.

PostPosted: 05/14/22 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching the Chicago game in Han’s minutes. I think you have a pretty good point about execution. I’d say Han left her defender twice to double team when she wasn’t supposed to. It seems pretty obvious. So if that’s the reason, the principle is still the same. This isn’t a position we can afford to waste a roster spot with.

PostPosted: 05/14/22 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Han doesn't necessarily have to hold position against shorter chunker/more muscled players. She should be able to use her height to reach over them for rebounds, and to to shoot over them on offense. At any rate, the point most recently is that Howard was sucking so bad, why not give her some minutes.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/14/22 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love some early season postulation.

One clear thing in my many years of fandom is that I've always been more of the mindset of ... "If none of this is working then throw that other player in there just to see what happens. You'll never know if this is their lucky night if you don't put them in the game" ... than the vast majority of coaches. Especially when you have a player that offers a significant point of difference.
And Brondello is definitely more conservative than most coaches.
Sticking with her trusted vets is very much on-brand for her. I suspect the reasoning is as simple as that.

Not using Han doesn't strike me as a glaring error or anything, but it's at least a pretty obvious question that Brondello should be asked after that game.

(and FWIW, if it's a 20 point blowout then maybe as a coach I'll compromise my normal principles to give a player token minutes on AAPI night or whatever other theme night, but I think it's stretch to include that in the rationale for playing Han in a game of OT closeness. It's a slippery slope to introduce non-basketball reasons for determining the playing rotation even if well-intentioned.)

PostPosted: 05/14/22 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ionescu's 4th-year option exercised, but no one else on the Liberty as yet. Deadline's tomorrow.

PostPosted: 05/14/22 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Ionescu's 4th-year option exercised, but no one else on the Liberty as yet. Deadline's tomorrow.

Am I recalling correctly that the others relevant here for the Liberty are Willoughby and Shook? I'm not sure about Shook's status because of whatever happened with her not playing this season. And what about Johannes and Han? Each of them played for New York in 2019.

Many thanks in advance for any answers. And, as always, for all the valuable information you share with us.

PostPosted: 05/14/22 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

(and FWIW, if it's a 20 point blowout then maybe as a coach I'll compromise my normal principles to give a player token minutes on AAPI night or whatever other theme night, but I think it's stretch to include that in the rationale for playing Han in a game of OT closeness. It's a slippery slope to introduce non-basketball reasons for determining the playing rotation even if well-intentioned.)

It didn't look like an overtime game until the very end. When NY was in the middle of that 7 point 3rd Quarter, the team appeared desperate for a boost of energy -- even if it was just a round of loud applause for Han entering the game. It's also a gesture that can be done early in the game when the impact is less crucial. College basketball has something called Senior Night which is the last home game of the career of every senior. It is traditional to let the seniors start even if they are normally benchwarmers. They open the game and play for a couple of minutes, then anyone who isn't an actual starter gets substituted out. That's sort of what I was getting at. The fact is if a player is so bad that you can't even use her for a minute, then she shouldn't be on your team. The Liberty advertised this game using Han's image to lure in Asian customers. They offered a poster of her to reinforce that idea. So, there's an element of bait and switch or false advertising if Han doesn't play. Bottom line, if asking Sandy to use Han is such a burden, then the team shouldn't have promoted the game this way.

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I saw her get displaced by a 6’3” male practice player who scored a layup on her in the post if that means anything. Other than that it’s been three years so it’s hard to remember specifics. Bonner is a bad comparison because Bonner is a freakish athlete. Bonner also has spent a vast majority of her career being an on-ball perimeter defender, not defending the post. If Han defended like Bonner she’d be a starter..

I remember that play. Yes, the guy backed in, but he still had to use a duck under move to get off his shot. Han also gave up another basket where the opponent shot the ball high off the glass. That's 4 points in 20 minutes. We're not asking people to pitch a shutout. I'll take 4 points in 20 minutes from every defender every game. It's just that when a player has a reputation for bad defense -- justified or not -- it becomes an excuse for people to view any points she gives up as being "typical" or conclusive evidence that she's a weak defender. I watched Tanisha Wright get beat off the dribble many, many times while she was with the Liberty. And yet, she kept getting voted on to All-Defensive teams. Nobody makes a big deal out of a few points permitted when you already have a good reputation. My point is that perception is largely based on expectations.

As for Bonner, did she begin her career as a great defender? Probably not. Only after being given a chance to play did she develop her defensive skills.

PostPosted: 05/14/22 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
It didn't look like an overtime game until the very end. When NY was in the middle of that 7 point 3rd Quarter, the team appeared desperate for a boost of energy -- even if it was just a round of loud applause for Han entering the game. It's also a gesture that can be done early in the game when the impact is less crucial. College basketball has something called Senior Night which is the last home game of the career of every senior. It is traditional to let the seniors start even if they are normally benchwarmers. They open the game and play for a couple of minutes, then anyone who isn't an actual starter gets substituted out. That's sort of what I was getting at. The fact is if a player is so bad that you can't even use her for a minute, then she shouldn't be on your team. The Liberty advertised this game using Han's image to lure in Asian customers. They offered a poster of her to reinforce that idea. So, there's an element of bait and switch or false advertising if Han doesn't play. Bottom line, if asking Sandy to use Han is such a burden, then the team shouldn't have promoted the game this way.

Thank you for all this, especially the point about the bait-and-switch. Any competent professional basketball coach should be able to deal effectively with the alleged "slippery slope" of playing someone for a few minutes due to particular circumstances. (As happens at some colleges on Senior Night.) No one knew there would be overtime, but Sandy Brondello had a guarantee of at least 200 minutes of playing time to distribute. Playing Han Xu for four or five minutes in the second quarter--or when the team was having a horrific third quarter--would hardly have set off any dangerous "slippery slope" precedent.

PostPosted: 05/14/22 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Am I recalling correctly that the others relevant here for the Liberty are Willoughby and Shook? I'm not sure about Shook's status because of whatever happened with her not playing this season. And what about Johannes and Han? Each of them played for New York in 2019.

Many thanks in advance for any answers. And, as always, for all the valuable information you share with us.

Willoughby and Shook are the others, but if they implement the rules in the way I think they will there's no good reason to exercise Shook's option. Basically all explained here: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2022-wnba-options-extensions-decisions

PostPosted: 05/15/22 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to Jackie Powell, Didi reaggravated her hamstring injury. She's out against Dallas on Sunday. Bec Allen will be activated but she won't play. I guess she's available in case of an emergency.

PostPosted: 05/15/22 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Willoughby and Shook are the others, but if they implement the rules in the way I think they will there's no good reason to exercise Shook's option. Basically all explained here: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2022-wnba-options-extensions-decisions

Thanks for this information.

PostPosted: 05/15/22 3:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

It didn't look like an overtime game until the very end.

My point wasn't that we knew it was going to OT, it was just that at no point was the result beyond doubt, so all decisions could have impacted whether the team ultimately won or lost.
In that situation the coach is likely operating in their default mindset of "Will this next move likely help or hurt our chances of winning?", so they could conceivably lose track of other factors that aren't typically part of their decision-making process.

Or to put it more cartoonishly, if I'm a head coach and I inadvertently become too focused on winning, I would expect the social media intern to tap me on the shoulder mid-game to remind me who I need to sub in to ensure that I am not accused of exploiting the race of one of my players in a bait-and-switch scheme to sell more tickets. That type of staff support is the least I would expect from a professional organisation Wink

Btw, during the game I posted
Luuuc wrote:
Queenie wrote:
just put Han in the game, what's the worst that could happen

I agree.

... because I agreed it was worth trying - on its own purely-basketball-related merit.
AD was given a few minutes. Why not give Han a similar opportunity. You never know what could spark some energy and a momentum shift. It can happen in a hurry - especially in front of a home crowd.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 41 of 55

Jump to: