RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The best player from your state
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue crabs & basketba

PostPosted: 09/21/21 9:07 am    ::: The best player from your state Reply Reply with quote

Who would you say is the best player from your state, however you define your state (and if you include best player who played at your state's public flagship university)?

I'm from Maryland, so I'd suggest Angel McCoughtry is the best player raised in the state. As far as the best player who played at the U of MD, is it Vicky Bullett, or Kristi Toliver, or Alyssa Thomas? I don't know!

adamj95

PostPosted: 09/21/21 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minnesota is easy for now, but Lindsay will have some competition after Bueckers plays out her career.

As for my alma mater, North Dakota, I’d say Jenny Crouse easily is the best player to play for UND.

PostPosted: 09/21/21 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Teresa Edwards, pride of the Cairo High School Syrupmakers, wins out over some very tough competition

PostPosted: 09/21/21 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My out of state alma mater's best player is easy, Jonquel Jones. My in-state alma mater, I don't know enough to guess (sadly).

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/21/21 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Too many to choose.....

Currently : Brittney Griner

Formerly : Sheryl Swoopes

PostPosted: 09/21/21 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For the state of South Carolina , I would say Aja Wilson , with Shannon Johnson a pretty close second .

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 09/21/21 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Minnesota is easy for now, but Lindsay will have some competition after Bueckers plays out her career.

As for my alma mater, North Dakota, I’d say Jenny Crouse easily is the best player to play for UND.

I remember when Janet Karvonen took New York Mills to all those Minnesota championships. She wasn’t a superstar in college but she went to four final fours (two with Old Dominion and two with Louisiana Tech). The Miller twins we’re also superstars at the collegiate level But when you factor in her professional accomplishments, Lindsay Whalen is the best player out of Minnesota.

And I agree, Jenny Crouse was the best player at UND and could have been a great player at most Division 1 schools.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/21/21 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Immediately coming to mind: Kristi Toliver from right here in the 'burg (even if she did go to Maryland). Otherwise I'd have to think about it since I haven't lived in VA that long.

Now if you want to talk Tennessee, there's only one Tamika Catchings. For native Tennesseans we might have to mention the one and only Pat Head Summitt. Or Kellie Jolly Harper. Or Jennifer Azzi who went to Stanford, dammit.

PostPosted: 09/21/21 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Immediately coming to mind: Kristi Toliver from right here in the 'burg (even if she did go to Maryland). Otherwise I'd have to think about it since I haven't lived in VA that long.

Now if you want to talk Tennessee, there's only one Tamika Catchings. For native Tennesseans we might have to mention the one and only Pat Head Summitt. Or Kellie Jolly Harper. Or Jennifer Azzi who went to Stanford, dammit.

Kara Lawson is from NOVA, she might fit in as best Virginian to play at Tennessee.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/21/21 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In Indiana, I think the answer is Katie Douglas. Some might pick Skylar Diggins-Smith, and I wouldn't argue too much. But if I got to pick between the two at their peaks, I would take Douglas.

As college players, you have to also throw in Steph White and Ruth Riley.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 09/21/21 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If we are taking homegrown girls, I'm taking Crystal Robinson in Oklahoma. If we are looking at the collegiate stars: Courtney Paris at OU and Andrea Riley at OSU separated themselves from the pack in an incomparable way.

All around, I'm partial to Robinson, but I did grow up in her region of the state where stories of her are still told regularly.

PostPosted: 09/21/21 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, so first of all: are we going to count New York City and New York State separately? Because while I can think of three strong contenders from downstate, there's also a certain young lady from around Syracuse who could throw her hat in the ring.

Second of all... um, what would the "public flagship university" of New York be? Buffalo? Albany? Stony Brook? We don't really have a single institution dubbed the University of New York or New York State University. Our P5 school is Syracuse, which is private. Also, dubbing 'Cuse the official representative of anything New York is a really good way to start a bar fight in the NYC metro area.

PostPosted: 09/22/21 2:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

University of Hawaii: Judy Mosely, college career stats 21 pts 12 rbs /game
Sacramento Monarchs

Best ever from the 50th State: Lia Galdeira, Konawaena High School, Washington State, Mystics

Tied for second behind Lia, Chanelle Molina (Konawaena, Washington State) and Nani Cockett (Kamehameha High, U of Hawaii All-American).

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/22/21 6:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Okay, so first of all: are we going to count New York City and New York State separately? Because while I can think of three strong contenders from downstate, there's also a certain young lady from around Syracuse who could throw her hat in the ring.

Second of all... um, what would the "public flagship university" of New York be? Buffalo? Albany? Stony Brook? We don't really have a single institution dubbed the University of New York or New York State University. Our P5 school is Syracuse, which is private. Also, dubbing 'Cuse the official representative of anything New York is a really good way to start a bar fight in the NYC metro area.

Queenie - I'm from Syracuse and it has to be separated. Syracuse is "NY's college team," second of course to UCONN in the NYC metro area. LOLOLOLOLLLLLL-don't hate me, it's a joke.

Seriously though, this state has an embarassment of riches.

Best-Stewie, Tina Charles, Chamique Holdsclaw, and Sue Bird

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 09/22/21 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

Psh, is that all ya got? Just kidding...it is extremely hard to pick 1 from those 4. It really would come down to personal preference.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/22/21 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Catchings was born in New Jersey and played high school ball in Illinois & Texas ......

PostPosted: 09/22/21 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Catchings was born in New Jersey and played high school ball in Illinois & Texas ......

You did notice I qualified it, right? Or did you miss that part entirely?

PostPosted: 09/22/21 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Yeah, she's always my rationale behind why you can't just blindly regionalize... well, pretty much anything, because who the heck do you assign her to?

But the second question was "who was the best player to play for your state's flagship public institution?" without excluding players from out of state, so Catchings is definitely a viable answer for the University of Tennessee.

PostPosted: 09/22/21 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Queenie - I'm from Syracuse and it has to be separated. Syracuse is "NY's college team," second of course to UCONN in the NYC metro area. LOLOLOLOLLLLLL-don't hate me, it's a joke.

Seriously though, this state has an embarassment of riches.

I was thinking specifically of the St. John's-Syracuse beef re: "New York's College Team".

You could make an argument that the "flagship public university" for NYC metro fans is Rutgers. Or UConn. Razz

Those four were the names I was thinking of, and if we're discussing high school/college success as much as/more than professional success, let's give them a shooting guard in Epiphanny Prince. California probably beats us, though.

PostPosted: 09/22/21 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I honestly didnt care , I just would have used her for Texas myself so Carry on ...

PostPosted: 09/22/21 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I honestly didnt care , I just would have used her for Texas myself so Carry on ...

Texas has plenty of its own players who stayed in-state. And Tamika played nearly as long in Illinois.

PostPosted: 09/22/21 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best ever from Washington: Courtney Vandersloot
Best ever from UW: Kelsey Plum

PostPosted: 09/22/21 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best player from Wisconsin: it's a tossup between Janel McCarville and Megan Gustafson.

PostPosted: 09/22/21 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best players to pass through the University of Iowa players would have to be Michelle Edwards, Toni Foster, and Megan Gustafson. There is hope that Caitlin Clark, who is also an Iowa native, can equal their successes.

Of native Iowans in the WNBA, all I can think of is Kiah Stokes. If anyone else knows of any please correct me!

Canadian Bridget Carleton went to that other state school in Iowa who we don't need to talk about.

PostPosted: 09/22/21 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Best players to pass through the University of Iowa players would have to be Michelle Edwards, Toni Foster, and Megan Gustafson. There is hope that Caitlin Clark, who is also an Iowa native, can equal their successes.

Of native Iowans in the WNBA, all I can think of is Kiah Stokes. If anyone else knows of any please correct me!

Canadian Bridget Carleton went to that other state school in Iowa who we don't need to talk about.

I notice you don't mention the Joens girls...because of that other school?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: