RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Spanish Flu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 09/21/21 2:18 am    ::: Spanish Flu Reply Reply with quote

SARS-CoV-2 has now killed the same amount of Americans as were estimated killed by the Spanish Flu. But the USA population was much smaller back then - 103.2 million in 1918. The Spanish Flu morphed into a weaker version, but this virus may not since all strains are still transmitted asymptomatically, with mild symptoms and also transmitted pre-symptoms.

In fact, there is more transmissibility pre-symptoms:

Quote:
Researchers estimate that people who get infected with the coronavirus can spread it to others 2 to 3 days before symptoms start and are most contagious 1 to 2 days before they feel sick.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus-incubation-period#:~:text=According%20to%20the%20CDC%2C%20the,as%202%20days%20after%20exposure.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/21/21 8:40 am    ::: Re: Spanish Flu Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
SARS-CoV-2 has now killed the same amount of Americans as were estimated killed by the Spanish Flu. But the USA population was much smaller back then - 103.2 million in 1918. The Spanish Flu morphed into a weaker version, but this virus may not since all strains are still transmitted asymptomatically, with mild symptoms and also transmitted pre-symptoms.

In fact, there is more transmissibility pre-symptoms:

Quote:
Researchers estimate that people who get infected with the coronavirus can spread it to others 2 to 3 days before symptoms start and are most contagious 1 to 2 days before they feel sick.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus-incubation-period#:~:text=According%20to%20the%20CDC%2C%20the,as%202%20days%20after%20exposure.

Guess what, the US population of unvaccinated people is ~150M.

tfan

PostPosted: 09/22/21 6:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The reason I mentioned the population difference was to reflect that the 650,000 deaths is a lower percentage of the population now, than in 1918. 650,000/103.2 million = 0.63% . 650,000/330,150,668 = 0.2%

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/22/21 6:46 pm    ::: Re: Spanish Flu Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
SARS-CoV-2 has now killed the same amount of Americans as were estimated killed by the Spanish Flu.

Right -- but Covid has now killed only 9.4%, at most, of the number killed worldwide by the Spanish Flu (4,731,378 ÷ 50,000,000).

According the the CDC, "It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States."

Perhaps "science" can explain this staggering numerical oxymoron.
Howee

PostPosted: 09/22/21 9:25 pm    ::: Re: Spanish Flu Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
tfan wrote:
SARS-CoV-2 has now killed the same amount of Americans as were estimated killed by the Spanish Flu.

Right -- but Covid has now killed only 9.4%, at most, of the number killed worldwide by the Spanish Flu (4,731,378 ÷ 50,000,000).

According the the CDC, "It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States."

Ummm....what exactly IS the oxymoron? If the implication is that a greater percentage of the planet's population was affected a century ago, then I'd say "science" is precisely the explanation for it.

PostPosted: 09/22/21 9:31 pm    ::: Re: Spanish Flu Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
tfan wrote:

I don't think that's a valid comparison because you/CDC are using final death numbers for the Spanish flu at the conclusion of its pandemic. COVID is still rolling along. I also think we don't have valid death counts for COVID from much of the third world.

I'm not seeing an oxymoron though.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/22/21 9:35 pm    ::: Re: Spanish Flu Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
tfan wrote:

The COVID vaccine was developed much more quickly then the flu vaccine. That cut the death figures considerably.

#NATC

PostPosted: 09/22/21 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What even is the alleged oxymoron that "science" needs to explain?
Spanish Flu and Covid19 are 2 different things. No one disagrees about that, right?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: