RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Opals opponents 'risk being killed'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRASH

PostPosted: 08/07/08 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TDAO wrote:
norwester wrote:
I wish I could think of some inflammatory things to say. Maybe later. I clearly can't keep up with the Aussie media. Perhaps you should leave some things up to the professionals.

I would suggest just saying Hammon is a traitor and calling it good.

(Please note that I am only joking, Hammonites. Please don't invade the good-natured Aussie-U.S. back-and-forth.)

I was wondering where the Aussie (did I sp that right? Wink ) were earlier today. I can't wait for the games to start! This is going to be a great tourny!!!

Cheers to all those down under!!!!
I love the "shit talkers",... that know how too... Twisted Evil Wink

BTW....
I am hopeing LLL is wearing the weave!!!! Best Oly moment by far!!!!!!

#NATC

PostPosted: 08/07/08 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CRASH wrote:
I was wondering where the Aussie (did I sp that right? Wink )

That is correct.
The lower case "aussie" is also acceptable.

The main problem for a lot of Americans is saying it correctly. It's pronounced auzzie.

PostPosted: 08/07/08 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
CRASH wrote:
I was wondering where the Aussie (did I sp that right? Wink )

That is correct.
The lower case "aussie" is also acceptable.

The main problem for a lot of Americans is saying it correctly. It's pronounced auzzie.

Thanks for the tip. Wink

BTW I think Rugby should be in the Olympics, wouldn't the All Blacks be a riot in the athletes village? Twisted Evil teaching all those poor soles all the "Rugby songs"? Embarassed Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 08/07/08 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CRASH wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Wink

BTW I think Rugby should be in the Olympics, wouldn't the All Blacks be a riot in the athletes village? Twisted Evil teaching all those poor soles all the "Rugby songs"? Embarassed Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Haha the Haka is actually a very traditional Maori tribal dance, not just a rugby song Wink

ANd Luuuc dude ... listening to the American commentators call Anstey ANTsy all night the other night was killin' me, enough to make me forgive the Aussie mis-pronunciation Laughing

PostPosted: 08/07/08 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAEmotion wrote:
CRASH wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Wink

Haha the Haka is actually a very traditional Maori tribal dance, not just a rugby song Wink

ANd Luuuc dude ... listening to the American commentators call Anstey ANTsy all night the other night was killin' me, enough to make me forgive the Aussie mis-pronunciation Laughing

hahahahaha

Oh how I've missed the Aussie's!!!!! You guys and the Greeks are my favorite foreigners. Wink
hehehe

PostPosted: 08/07/08 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CRASH wrote:

The Kiwis might even get themselves a gold medal as well.... as long as they don't choke like they do in the World Cup Twisted Evil

AAEmotion

PostPosted: 08/07/08 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ottie wrote:
The Kiwis might even get themselves a gold medal as well.... as long as they don't choke like they do in the World Cup Twisted Evil

HA.

By the way Ottie, I'm in B-Vegas this weekend ... it's a pity I wont have a chance to see the Lions Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 08/07/08 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAEmotion wrote:

By the way Ottie, I'm in B-Vegas this weekend ... it's a pity I wont have a chance to see the Lions Crying or Very sad

Oh well they've been a bit frustrating of late anyway. I should probably get to a game before the season ends now that I've got no Bullets to look forward to over summer Sad

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 08/07/08 1:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

paigeme wrote:
I like this quote by Harrower:

Quote:
Harrower said the Opals had not had a proper preparation for the Games but were improving with every outing.

"I think we can walk away with the gold medal," she said. "I really believe that now that we played them last night."

It just goes to show how important the Diamond Ball preparations were for the Opals. Team USA just doesn't have the mystique anymore. Like Penny said, we're not backing down to anybody anymore.

Well she has to stop turning the ball so much if theyre gonna have a chance at revenge.

And Suzy? I love Suzy, she hustles plays hard and runs hard all the time, but she makes alot of mistakes too. The Opals arent affraid of anyone thats for sure.

PostPosted: 08/07/08 7:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...more from yahoo sports:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080807/sp_nm/olympics_basketball_us_dc_2

boogiezen

PostPosted: 08/07/08 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope the USA will win the gold just to see Batkovic bitching again. Laughing

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
mikey87

PostPosted: 08/07/08 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
I hope the USA will win the gold just to see Batkovic bitching again. Laughing

I hope so 2 lol, I love the fact that the ladies aren't falling for it. We are focused, and nothing is gonna chage that winning the GOLD is more important than going back and forth with a bunch on wimps lol..

ulynxfan

PostPosted: 08/07/08 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren Jackson didn't think it was that physical a game.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2008/08/07/2327837.htm?site=olympics/2008

Quote:
"For me personally i didn't think it was that over physical..obviously penny got a black eye, and i know a couple of them (on the us team) went down hard as well.

Turns out Aussie "journalists" are trying to fan the flames
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=olymp/news/news.aspx?id=4169885

Quote:
Depending on who was asking the questions at Thursday's U.S. women's press conference Jackson's words were altered into some sort of rallying cry that the Australians will be willing to dish out broken noses and black eyes of their own.

Last edited by ulynxfan on 08/07/08 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
petrel

PostPosted: 08/07/08 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

Let me get this straight...the Opals start out team training at an army camp...and we're the goons?

Lisa Leslie had the best response in that article.

bullsky

PostPosted: 08/07/08 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

I'm amazed at how focused we are as a team. I think Russia beating us in the Worlds was the worst thing that could've happened for everyone else. This team isn't going home without the gold.

#NATC

PostPosted: 08/07/08 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
I think Russia beating us in the Worlds was the worst thing that could've happened for everyone else. This team isn't going home without the gold.

It took you 2 years to figure that out? Wink

PostPosted: 08/07/08 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ulynxfan wrote:

Quote:
"For me personally i didn't think it was that over physical..obviously penny got a black eye, and i know a couple of them (on the us team) went down hard as well.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=olymp/news/news.aspx?id=4169885

Quote:
Depending on who was asking the questions at Thursday's U.S. women's press conference Jackson's words were altered into some sort of rallying cry that the Australians will be willing to dish out broken noses and black eyes of their own.

Exactly, like I said, that's our media for you. Any inflammatory or baiting remarks from the Opals have to be taken with a grain of salt because journalists do tend to twist words or take them completely out of context. I stopped reading the Daily Terror years ago because they're so ridiculous. It's all in good fun. Generally, the Opals and Americans are friends so I don't think Team USA will take too much umbrage to the baiting attempts. Well, maybe LLL will, but she's a paranoid megalomaniac, whose ball-hogging tendencies will be her team's downfall anyway. Laughing

And Loz isn't carrying the flag, but I like the choice of James Tomkins. Maybe she'll do it for the closing ceremonies.

PostPosted: 08/07/08 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

paigeme wrote:
ulynxfan wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly, like I said, that's our media for you. Any inflammatory or baiting remarks from the Opals have to be taken with a grain of salt because journalists do tend to twist words or take them completely out of context. I stopped reading the Daily Terror years ago because they're so ridiculous. It's all in good fun. Generally, the Opals and Americans are friends so I don't think Team USA will take too much umbrage to the baiting attempts. Well, maybe LLL will, but she's a paranoid megalomaniac, whose ball-hogging tendencies will be her team's downfall anyway. Laughing

And Loz isn't carrying the flag, but I like the choice of James Tomkins. Maybe she'll do it for the closing ceremonies.

Laughing Not if we sit her ass down and put in Big Syl Wink

PostPosted: 08/07/08 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

petrel wrote:
Let me get this straight...the Opals start out team training at an army camp...and we're the goons?

Lisa Leslie had the best response in that article.

See, I dunno about the American army ... but I know that our military are NOT goons. Wink

PostPosted: 08/07/08 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

paigme wrote:
Well, maybe LLL will, but she's a paranoid megalomaniac, whose ball-hogging tendencies will be her team's downfall anyway. Laughing

You made me laugh out loud. At work. Good job. Wink My sig on stormfans is something about Lisa being "a little mental." A quote from a certain Storm player, whose likely bias doesn't decrease the truth of said statement. Laughing

ETA: I'm still glad to have LLL on our Olympic team, though. She's been a real force for us in the Olympics, and even a step slow I believe she will provide a good steadying force for our posts. (I can't just poke fun without giving her her due <shrug>).

PostPosted: 08/07/08 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OMG this thread is just too funny. You leave for a while and the rest of the Aussies show up. Laughing

Oh and eclair you rock, but I think I've told you that before.

"If Seattle decides to sit Wright, Little and Stricklen for the majority of the season for stuffy noses, ingrown toenails and acid reflux you can start talking about shams." psheehy
Ottie

PostPosted: 08/07/08 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

paigeme wrote:

Yeah basically all of these over the top articles come from the Australian New Ltd papers - Fox for Australia - nuf said. I mean the "we'll kill people" headline completely took LJ's quote out of context. She was talking about how key Opals players will kill people on the scoreboard as a reason why other teams try to beat them up. But hey let's not let accurate reporting get in the way of a good headline Laughing

But like I said before, it is kind of good that the Opals have been getting so much attention here in Oz... and I think this over the top coverage has a little to do with it. I'm loving it. I've seen LJ on tv heaps in the past few weeks in one form or another so it's great.

Less than 28 hours til they kick off against Belarus! I'm pumped!!!

norwester

PostPosted: 08/09/08 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jackson ends war of words with U.S.

Quote:
"The U.S. copped as well as they gave," Jackson acknowledged. "We hit them back too. It's the nature of the sport and when you're as competitive as our two teams are it's going to get physical.

"But there is no way in the world any of their players were trying to hurt any one of us. A lot of us play in the WNBA so we know those girls very well. Two of my best friends are on that team."

PostPosted: 08/09/08 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
Jackson ends war of words with U.S.

Quote:
"The U.S. copped as well as they gave," Jackson acknowledged. "We hit them back too. It's the nature of the sport and when you're as competitive as our two teams are it's going to get physical.

"But there is no way in the world any of their players were trying to hurt any one of us. A lot of us play in the WNBA so we know those girls very well. Two of my best friends are on that team."

Looks like she has a sane head on her shoulders, unlike the agitators masquerading as Journalists.

mikey87

PostPosted: 08/09/08 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well technically it wasn't a war of words lol, the US basically ignored em. Which was the right thing to do...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: