RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 05/02/22 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New York Liberty suspended the contract of Kylee Shook for the full season (personal decision).

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/02/22 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
New York Liberty suspended the contract of Kylee Shook for the full season (personal decision).

well that takes care of one logjam. And it's smart to do if she's not 100% since that would make it even harder to make the roster. Don't know that it will be any easier next year of course.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/02/22 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and that leaves

Ionescu/Richards
Whitcomb/AD
Laney/Allen/Willoughby
Howard/Cubaj/Onyenwere
Dolson/Han

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/02/22 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does this mean they're down to 12? what's the story with Sika Kone?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/02/22 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Does this mean they're down to 12? what's the story with Sika Kone?

Hasn't signed, isn't expected to. They're down to 12 and under the cap. Johannes would require a cut if she shows up.

PostPosted: 05/02/22 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s good to know they’re down to 12. The handwriting was clearly on the wall in terms of what was being said by the staff.

I don’t see Johannes realistically joining the team. AD looked good enough to me to warrant riding out her future. According to an article posted here recently by Myles Ehrlich, Sandy isn’t too worried about AD’s conditioning. Take it for what it’s worth. But I thought AD’s athleticism was pretty much intact during the scrimmage. Her strengths and weaknesses are what they are. But when she’s right I think it’s realistic to expect periods of instant offense from her off the bench. Sami is also a UFA at the end of the season, which may allow for AD to have a more expanded role. I’d rather hold onto players who will definitely be here rather than someone like Johannes who might not. I think NY might be inclined to feel similarly. Also remember, AD was very tentative to start 2019. On both ends of the floor. And she showed marked improvement with familiarity. So I’d expect what we saw Saturday to improve over time. Significantly.

And I love watching Johannes play. She’s an exciting, creative player. But it just makes more sense to keep what we have. Unless another injury-related or personal reasons suspension comes into play.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 05/02/22 6:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/02/22 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, in Kolb’s statement shout Shook, he said her decision was not easy but basketball is secondary right now.

It seems logical that the Liberty may have known this was a possibility on draft night. The selection of Cubaj, a player who is clearly ready from a defensive/rebounding/IQ standpoint, does make more sense in the above scenario.

PostPosted: 05/02/22 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve never heard of a player showing up to training camp and then still having the option for a full season suspension. What’s the precedence?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/02/22 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I’ve never heard of a player showing up to training camp and then still having the option for a full season suspension. What’s the precedence?

good question. I wondered about that too.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/02/22 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's agreeing to it. When it's mutual there are plenty of things you can do. Obviously it's unusual that someone would show up to camp and still agree to a suspension, hence it not happening much.

Do we even know if Shook actually did show up? I don't remember if she was ever actually pictured or reported as participating.

PostPosted: 05/02/22 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think I remember seeing her either pictured or in video but I’m not 100% sure.

PostPosted: 05/02/22 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I assumed from draft night that Shook was going to be gone.

So here's the scorecard for our six non-Sabrina rookies for 2020:

Still on the team: Willoughby
Gone: Walker, Jones, Odom, and Holmes
Suspended: Shook

Given the drafting of Sabally and Kone, the trade for Cubaj, and the return of Han, I doubt we'll see Shook on the Liberty again. Though surely anything is possible.

Jonathan Kolb hired and fired Walt Hopkins. One element beneath all this is Kolb going with new players (chosen with Sandy Brondello) rather than the players he and Walt together went after.

PostPosted: 05/02/22 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interestingly, it’s our 2019 rookies who might have the most impact. Also, that Tina trade, which looked really good in 2020, looks pretty bad now. But these things happen when you change coaches. Overhauls are pretty commonplace. Especially either to or from more extreme philosophies. I was generally a fan of Hopkins and what they were trying to establish, but there’s something to be said for a balanced approach.

And, seeing Han’s potential, I’m glad it worked out this way. To be 6’10” with this much offensive potential, I think Sandy’s approach is a better fit.

PostPosted: 05/02/22 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Also, that Tina trade, which looked really good in 2020, looks pretty bad now.

Not really. Charles only played one year for Washington, and that was after she became a free agent. Therefore, it can be argued that her single season with the Mystics was not part of the trade. Meanwhile, New York still has Willoughby, Richards, Fauthoux, and depending on how you interpret the Nurse/Walker trade, either Onyenwere or a piece of Howard (anatomy parts not specified). Also, during the Wubble year, Jones played well and Odom started most of the season while Charles sat out.

PostPosted: 05/02/22 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh I always forget we got Willoughby for SWK. I get that confused with Sami for Talbot. The Howard piece I remembered. So yeah I guess it doesn’t look so bad. Hopefully Willoughby is as advertised when the games begin.

Did we get the pick for DiDi as a net result too? I didn’t remember that either.

PostPosted: 05/03/22 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
New York Liberty@nyliberty
·
31m
Nyara Sabally, the Liberty’s No. 5 selection in the 2022 WNBA Draft, underwent a successful Osteochondral Autograft Transplantation (OCA) on her right knee today at Hospital for Special Surgery. She will begin rehabilitation immediately, and is expected to make a full recovery.

A little unclear about the mixed wording based on my quick Google search. Autograft seems to involve taking material from yourself and moving it. Transplantation usually refers to receiving material from a deceased donor. Maybe Nyara had both done?

PostPosted: 05/03/22 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Quote:
·
31m
Nyara Sabally, the Liberty’s No. 5 selection in the 2022 WNBA Draft, underwent a successful Osteochondral Autograft Transplantation (OCA) on her right knee today at Hospital for Special Surgery. She will begin rehabilitation immediately, and is expected to make a full recovery.

A little unclear about the mixed wording based on my quick Google search. Autograft seems to involve taking material from yourself and moving it. Transplantation usually refers to receiving material from a deceased donor. Maybe Nyara had both done?

It's more properly called a transfer than a transplant

Most people hate poetry
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/03/22 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Quote:
·
31m

It's more properly called a transfer than a transplant

Sometimes cadaveric tissue is used, particularly in cases with larger cartilage defects where not enough donor tissue can be harvested from the patient's own knee. Autografts are preferred because it's a simpler procedure. I had knee surgery a couple of months ago for torn cartilage, and we talked about this as a possible option but it turned out not to be necessary. Recovery is ~4-6 months but there's a sizeable variation depending on the extent of the procedure and the number of grafts.

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 05/04/22 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope the Interns are not the only ones for The Liberty looking
at the Waver Wire!

LibFan25

PostPosted: 05/04/22 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Evina Westbrook just got waived by Seattle. I'm just sayin'

we will see how they patch up the back up spot starting this Saturday.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/05/22 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Long, powerful article on AD by Ben Pickman for SI/WNBA:

https://www.si.com/wnba/2022/05/05/ad-long-covid-identity-new-york-liberty-daily-cover?fbclid=IwAR1ApbULVJjx5RM6NMgYPMA2_XwTDF6pBbH6Eq42jwVUGaD2OcBXKlOpTiE

PostPosted: 05/05/22 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Between yesterday's video on social media and today's, we now have evidence of everybody practicing. So, as long as no one gets injured tomorrow, the Liberty should be 11-strong on Saturday. Very Happy

PostPosted: 05/06/22 4:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great article about AD, both on and off court. Where I believe they will be a part of the rotation. Encouraging comments from Sandy comparing them to Diggins. Obviously not quite, but AD’s mid-range ability is pretty rare.

Also great to hear everyone is practicing.

PostPosted: 05/06/22 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An announcement has been posted on Facebook about the Liberty's 2022 broadcast team:

Play-by-play announcers: Chris Shean, Michael Grady, and Zora Stephenson

Color analysts: Julianne Viani-Braen and Andraya Carter

Sideline reporter: Jess Sims

PostPosted: 05/06/22 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty sign Kaila Charles as a hardship player. So, much for everybody practicing yesterday.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 38 of 55

Jump to: