RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/26/21 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:
Based on this photo ...

Johnny Derrick (DOBO), Kaylin Rice (AC), Makenzie Fuller (Associate Ops) and Jordin Westbrook (Associate Ops) are all following Kim to LSU. I couldn't tell all of the ppl, but figured out those few.

https://twitter.com/LSUwbkb/status/1386711721025277953

In the presser she mentioned Johnny Derrick, Jennifer Roberts, Jordin Westbrook, Kaylin Rice, and Daphne Mitchell as accompanying her to LSU

Good catch! They will probably have similar roles but I will officially change on page one once that is released.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/26/21 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:
Based on this photo ...

Johnny Derrick (DOBO), Kaylin Rice (AC), Makenzie Fuller (Associate Ops) and Jordin Westbrook (Associate Ops) are all following Kim to LSU. I couldn't tell all of the ppl, but figured out those few.

https://twitter.com/LSUwbkb/status/1386711721025277953

In the presser she mentioned Johnny Derrick, Jennifer Roberts, Jordin Westbrook, Kaylin Rice, and Daphne Mitchell as accompanying her to LSU

It appears she may have more staff than players, if she continues at that rate.

PostPosted: 04/26/21 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
TechDawgMc wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Why do I have the feeling that there is a lot to the Mulkey to LSU story? More than the going home part?

Go read sicem365 Smile Hard to know who to believe, but it's pretty clear there was some bad blood between the AD and Kim. There apparently were some rough conversations in recent weeks. The location of the new basketball arena seems to have been a big point of disagreement.

I've heard this too but I don't know any details. Why did she not like the new arena's location? Where did she want it instead? Was her input ignored or given serious consideration? etc

There’s a location where the current gym (Ferrell Center), the softball and baseball fields and the tennis courts all are close together. There’s one large parking area that serves all of them. Original idea was to build in that area and replace some of the parking with the new field house. Kim liked that idea—all close together, including the current practice facility.

Unfortunately, there are problems. That’s a lot of parking to lose. And. It would be even more during construction. It’s also apparently in the river floodplain more than the rest of the buildings. On top of that, the city started talking to BU about building just on the other side of the interstate—with the city possibly helping with construction costs (in the 60-80 mill range I think). All that led the BU admins to think that’s a better spot.

Kim made a public comment about how she preferred the Ferrell Center location. Rhodes didn’t appreciate that being said publicly and made a comment about it being a 50 year decision and not really a coach’s decision. Already bad feelings got worse.

Frankly, nobody looks very good in this mess.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/27/21 6:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Columbia has DOBO opening. https://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/14736082/director-of-women-s-basketball-operations

Did their DOBO leave or were they one of the many schools who left some support positions open last season?

thardy929

PostPosted: 04/27/21 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like Kellie Harper has filled her second open assistant position at Tennessee with FSU Associate Head Coach Joy McCorvey: https://allfortennessee.com/2021/04/26/tennessee-lady-vols-joy-mccorvey/

PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/27/21 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thardy929 wrote:
Looks like Kellie Harper has filled her second open assistant position at Tennessee with FSU Associate Head Coach Joy McCorvey: https://allfortennessee.com/2021/04/26/tennessee-lady-vols-joy-mccorvey/

Congrats to Joy McCorvey! I miss her here in Ann Arbor but glad to see her career success.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/27/21 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
TechDawgMc wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Why do I have the feeling that there is a lot to the Mulkey to LSU story? More than the going home part?

Go read sicem365 Smile Hard to know who to believe, but it's pretty clear there was some bad blood between the AD and Kim. There apparently were some rough conversations in recent weeks. The location of the new basketball arena seems to have been a big point of disagreement.

I've heard this too but I don't know any details. Why did she not like the new arena's location? Where did she want it instead? Was her input ignored or given serious consideration? etc

There’s a location where the current gym (Ferrell Center), the softball and baseball fields and the tennis courts all are close together. There’s one large parking area that serves all of them. Original idea was to build in that area and replace some of the parking with the new field house. Kim liked that idea—all close together, including the current practice facility.

Unfortunately, there are problems. That’s a lot of parking to lose. And. It would be even more during construction. It’s also apparently in the river floodplain more than the rest of the buildings. On top of that, the city started talking to BU about building just on the other side of the interstate—with the city possibly helping with construction costs (in the 60-80 mill range I think). All that led the BU admins to think that’s a better spot.

Kim made a public comment about how she preferred the Ferrell Center location. Rhodes didn’t appreciate that being said publicly and made a comment about it being a 50 year decision and not really a coach’s decision. Already bad feelings got worse.

Frankly, nobody looks very good in this mess.

Thank you for sharing! Yup, sounds like a mess indeed.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/27/21 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Columbia has DOBO opening. https://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/14736082/director-of-women-s-basketball-operations

Did their DOBO leave or were they one of the many schools who left some support positions open last season?

Meghan Roxas was DOBO for years and was in 19-20. She is still listed on their website (20-21 roster). Looks like she left to work for Rebel Ventures in April according to her Linkedin

LitePal

PostPosted: 04/27/21 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Baylor's board says it's reported that the school is interested in "two successful, under appreciate coaches." Might one of them be Cori Close? A WNIT championship, three Sweet 16s and an Elite 8 in six years is nothing to sneeze at, but some of the UCLA fanbase doesn't seem to want her there, (PatSweetPat an obvious exception).

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/27/21 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Baylor's board says it's reported that the school is interested in "two successful, under appreciate coaches." Might one of them be Cori Close? A WNIT championship, three Sweet 16s and an Elite 8 in six years is nothing to sneeze at, but some of the UCLA fanbase doesn't seem to want her there, (PatSweetPat an obvious exception).

Even throughout these solid past few years for the Bruins under Cori Close, I've genuinely never gotten the impression that UCLA had much of a wbb fanbase... which is why it wouldn't surprise me if she were to leave for 'greener' pastures.

snzuluz

PostPosted: 04/27/21 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My nephew who is a Baylor alum from a post gave me this information:
- Mulkey was not happy that the new basketball practice facility was not going to be on campus and they (AD) did not listen to her concerns about this.
- She went into her meeting with Rhodes with an LSU offer in hand and wanted a life-time contract. The AD told her no.She also met with Linda Livingston and that meeting did not go well either. Livingston basically backed up what Rhodes already told her...NO
- She wanted her name to be placed on the practice court and the AD told her no.

Her annual budget ran about $6,000,000 in the hole, the AD doesn't to believe in life time contracts, and she finally ran into someone in administration who was not afraid to stand up to her.

It seems she ha burned bridges while she was there...no administrator before Rhodes would stand up to her, and now out the door she has burned some bridges.

Sometimes when you stay too long and think you are the end-all-be-all your ego gets in the way. Now that the men's program has won a national championship and brings in money that does not leave them in such a big deficit like the women's program, Mulkey is losing her "power" there. Sort of like a spoiled child who has always gotten their way and cannot handle the word - NO.

Remember, she walked away from LaTech because they would only give her a 4-year contract and not a 5-year contract.

LSU matched her salary (around 2.2 million a year) and gave her an 8-year contract...just as she currently had at Baylor - guaranteed until 2030 at Baylor.

Makes you wonder if the AD had unexpected consequences with the word - NO:
no practice court on campus, no life time contract, and no MULKEY named on the court... knowing how big her ego was maybe these "no's" he told her would have her walk away from Baylor... and he (and the department) would not have to put up with her anymore.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/27/21 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
- Mulkey was not happy that the new basketball practice facility was not going to be on campus and they (AD) did not listen to her concerns about this.
- She went into her meeting with Rhodes with an LSU offer in hand and wanted a life-time contract. The AD told her no.She also met with Linda Livingston and that meeting did not go well either. Livingston basically backed up what Rhodes already told her...NO
- She wanted her name to be placed on the practice court and the AD told her no.

Her annual budget ran about $6,000,000 in the hole, the AD doesn't to believe in life time contracts, and she finally ran into someone in administration who was not afraid to stand up to her.

It seems she ha burned bridges while she was there...no administrator before Rhodes would stand up to her, and now out the door she has burned some bridges.

Sometimes when you stay too long and think you are the end-all-be-all your ego gets in the way. Now that the men's program has won a national championship and brings in money that does not leave them in such a big deficit like the women's program, Mulkey is losing her "power" there. Sort of like a spoiled child who has always gotten their way and cannot handle the word - NO.

Remember, she walked away from LaTech because they would only give her a 4-year contract and not a 5-year contract.

LSU matched her salary (around 2.2 million a year) and gave her an 8-year contract...just as she currently had at Baylor - guaranteed until 2030 at Baylor.

no practice court on campus, no life time contract, and no MULKEY named on the court... knowing how big her ego was maybe these "no's" he told her would have her walk away from Baylor... and he (and the department) would not have to put up with her anymore.

Well, Mulkey has EARNED the right to make demands. To me, they used her until they didn't need her anymore, and then told her NO. Sorry, but that's the way I feel.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/27/21 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:

Close would be a great get, but I can't imagine leaving Los Angeles for Waco, TX. I assume BU would try and hire someone straight-is Close? Might I throw the name Lisa Bluder out there?

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/27/21 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Close would be a great get, but I can't imagine leaving Los Angeles for Waco, TX. I assume BU would try and hire someone straight-is Close? Might I throw the name Lisa Bluder out there?

Oh, my. Shocked I did not click on this thread expecting to read my head coach being floated as a possible Mulkey replacement!

I'm genuinely curious what makes you think she'd be interested?

From my perspective it seems like Bluder:
a. Has close ties to the state of Iowa and a good relationship with the Iowa AD.
b. Has one of her best players ever and best recruiting classes ever coming in
c. Is nearing the end of her career anyway.
d. Couldn't possibly top what Mulkey has already done with Baylor. AKA, there's nowhere to take the program but down.

But god knows I've been wrong before Laughing

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/27/21 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

Well, Mulkey has EARNED the right to make demands. To me, they used her until they didn't need her anymore, and then told her NO. Sorry, but that's the way I feel.

I completely agree. She stayed through the complete shit show that athletic department was in the mid 2000's when you had so many issues (murder, drugs, etc). Her overall record at Baylor 632-103. That is insane.

Here are just a few of her accomplishments at Baylor:

1. 3x National Champions (2005, 2012, 2019)
2. They have been in every NCAA Tournament except 2002-03 when they lost in the WNIT final. Had never been before her arrival.
3. Have won 11 straight Big XII titles
4. From 2010 until now, they lost a total of 9 Big XII games. Nine. 11 seasons and only 9 losses in conference. What?!
5. 187-9 in Big XII since 2010. Insane.
6. 1999-2000 Baylor 7-20 (pre Mulkey), 2000-01 Baylor 21-9 & NCAA Tourney (her first year)
7. 1st woman to win a National title as a player and as a coach (only the 4th person to accomplish this)**
8. 7x Big XII Coach of the Year
9. 3x USBWA National Coach of the Year
10. 2x AP National Coach of the Year & WBCA National Coach of the Year
11. Naismith National Coach of the Year

Pretty sure I'd name a damn court after her if she asked. Hell, she wouldn't have to ask. I would just tell her that is what we are doing. I mean, come on.

** Just fyi, the 3 people to accomplish that before her were Joe B. Hall, Bobby Knight and Dean Smith. All Hall of Fame coaches in their own right.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/27/21 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
snzuluz wrote:

Well, Mulkey has EARNED the right to make demands.
To me, they used her until they didn't need her anymore, and then told her NO.

I dunno. One of the ways I thought Kim had grown was to demonstrate genuine (?) humility to frame all of her success. I liked that about her. Reminds me of Tara, The Class Act.

I also can appreciate the way she's forging strongly to strengthen her *brand* -- she HAS earned that privilege; Pat got that, and while Kim has to 'catch up' in NCs, she's also done it in an arguably more difficult era. All that said, never forget the old saw: "Pride cometh before the fall".

I'd LOVE to sit down and have a beer with her. Cool

PostPosted: 04/27/21 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I completely agree. She stayed through the complete shit show that athletic department was in the mid 2000's when you had so many issues (murder, drugs, etc). Her overall record at Baylor 632-103. That is insane.

Here are just a few of her accomplishments at Baylor:

1. 3x National Champions (2005, 2012, 2019)
2. They have been in every NCAA Tournament except 2002-03 when they lost in the WNIT final. Had never been before her arrival.
3. Have won 11 straight Big XII titles
4. From 2010 until now, they lost a total of 9 Big XII games. Nine. 11 seasons and only 9 losses in conference. What?!
5. 187-9 in Big XII since 2010. Insane.
6. 1999-2000 Baylor 7-20 (pre Mulkey), 2000-01 Baylor 21-9 & NCAA Tourney (her first year)
7. 1st woman to win a National title as a player and as a coach (only the 4th person to accomplish this)**
8. 7x Big XII Coach of the Year
9. 3x USBWA National Coach of the Year
10. 2x AP National Coach of the Year & WBCA National Coach of the Year
11. Naismith National Coach of the Year

Pretty sure I'd name a damn court after her if she asked. Hell, she wouldn't have to ask. I would just tell her that is what we are doing. I mean, come on.

** Just fyi, the 3 people to accomplish that before her were Joe B. Hall, Bobby Knight and Dean Smith. All Hall of Fame coaches in their own right.

I completely agree, too. And this is an impressive evaluation of OBJECTIVE facts about Mulkey's career -- in contrast to unsourced SPECULATION from some unknown internet poster who surely wasn't in the room during private meetings between Mulkey and the AD and president of Baylor. Nor is there anything other than undocumented rhetoric and mudslinging to support claims about her "ego", or about any unreasonable things she convinced Baylor to say "yes" to, or acting like a "spoiled child", or about "burned bridges".

Kim Mulkey came from nowhere Tickfaw, Louisiana, and earned every elite academic and athletic achievement in her life by her own smarts, talent and hard work. She said she would not have left Baylor for any school other than LSU simply because Louisiana, not money, has always been HOME . . . and home is where she wants to be for the rest of her life. I believe her.
Durantula

PostPosted: 04/27/21 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee hires assistant from FSU. https://utsports.com/news/2021/4/27/womens-basketball-joy-mccorvey-joins-lady-vol-staff.aspx

Please can people take the Mulkey talk to other threads? Futureisbright has mentioned this in the past, about keeping this thread about coaching news. There are other threads for analyzing Mulkey to LSU

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/27/21 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not to harp on the messages b/c yall's opinions and feedback are much warranted but can we try to limit the extended talk on certain situations to separate threads. It gets harder to comb through with actual movement

sorry to duplicate Darantula, but he got to it first Embarassed

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/27/21 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SIUE has a new head coach https://www.siuecougars.com/sports/w-baskbl/2020-21/releases/20210427qbbcqk

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/27/21 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thardy929 wrote:

Sorry I'm late, I was busy screaming with glee, clapping my hands like a happy little seal, and trying to remember where I put the one Tennessee shirt I own.

(for those of you who have not met me: Joy is my all-time favorite Johnnie, I literally own her jersey {it's okay, she said I could keep it}, where she goes at least part of my fandom goes, I AM SO PROUD OF HER, okay, I'm sorry, I'll shut up now)

PostPosted: 04/28/21 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is no I in TEAM...her program is loosing $6,000,000 annually...when your program makes money then make demands!

It's all about the money in education/athletics and what a program can bring to the OVER-ALL athletic department...not just her slim piece of the pie. I think she had an over inflated ego and thought she was running the department...she ran into several someones who let her know she was not in charge.

Not sure the facility was the issue... it was her going out ahead of the AD to express her disagreement in public of where to build it (chain of command), as well as a life time contract, and finally having her name put on the practice court.

NO means no, and some people have a hard time with hearing that word! Ask any teacher or coach who deals with parents and athletes/students in todays world of education and sports.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/28/21 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wagner hires a new coach. https://wagnerathletics.com/news/2021/4/28/terrell-coburn-named-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

I had no idea Wagner was even open but the press release says their head coach resigned on Monday? I can't even find any news on that. Then they turn around and make a hire already.

icey23

PostPosted: 04/28/21 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
There is no I in TEAM...her program is loosing $6,000,000 annually...when your program makes money then make demands!

It's all about the money in education/athletics and what a program can bring to the OVER-ALL athletic department...not just her slim piece of the pie. I think she had an over inflated ego and thought she was running the department...she ran into several someones who let her know she was not in charge.

Not sure the facility was the issue... it was her going out ahead of the AD to express her disagreement in public of where to build it (chain of command), as well as a life time contract, and finally having her name put on the practice court.

NO means no, and some people have a hard time with hearing that word! Ask any teacher or coach who deals with parents and athletes/students in todays world of education and sports.

Kim built Baylor athletics PERIOD!!!

PostPosted: 04/28/21 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:
snzuluz wrote:

Kim built Baylor athletics PERIOD!!!

And they're gonna have trouble replacing her. I predict Jeff Walz is going nowhere. But I've been wrong before. However, I think that university is a somewhat toxic climate. Of course, so is LSU at the current time. Both have more than a hint of rape hanging over them,

Last edited by summertime blues on 04/28/21 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 21 of 49

Jump to: