RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Team USA 2020/2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis4632

PostPosted: 06/25/21 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan wrote:
Ok then let's talk team sports.

I am certain that there were younger and better players than Abby Wambach and she got her due with the U.S. National Team AND a respectful and proper send off on a team that is even more prestigious than making the U.S Women's Basketball roster. Some of ya'll are just ridiculous in your hate quite frankly.

This isn't the "gotcha" that you seem to think it is. If someone had asked me, I would have said that Wambach should have stepped aside, and made room for new blood, too, as I'm not necessarily of the opinion that great athletes are entitled to a "curtain call" (or a "proper send off," if you prefer). The difference in this case is that (1), regardless of my opinion on the subject, I would not have volunteered my opinion on Wambach unsolicited, because soccer isn't as relevant to my interests as basketball is, so the "you didn't keep that same energy for Abby" tone that seems to be in the subtext of your post falls flat. And (2), at least in the case of USA Soccer, that team had lost, in the (then) recent past, so you could at least make the argument that they needed the best and the most experienced, because they might lose. USAB has no such argument to hide behind.

I don't think it's a gotcha, I think it's the reality of professional sports.

LeBron could play for the men's national team until he's 55 if he wanted to but he just chooses not to. And no, it isn't to "let" younger players play. It's money talking.

Wambach probably would have been invited back even if she didn't retire.

This isn't new. The greatest players in the world are still great enough to play on the team and they will. That is why they were selected. If Taurasi had been averaging like 8 points a game for three years, I think everyone arguing this would have a point and it would be heard.

I'd love to know how many people on this board would actually turn down the chance to make Olympic history because a few people think it's selfish. You'd say hell no.

Pretty soon we're going to be mad that Stewart or somebody is winning too many MVP awards because a young player had an exciting season.

To answer your exaggerated point, Is LeBron going to be playing and being effective in the NBA when he's 55. What I mean by being effective is a starter who can carry a team and not one that lets younger players do the heavy lifting and while the media gives him all of the credit.

mercfan

PostPosted: 06/25/21 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
mercfan wrote:
I'd love to know how many people on this board would actually turn down the chance to make Olympic history because a few people think it's selfish. You'd say hell no.

"A few people...."?? I think you're outta touch.

.....and I'd love to know how YOU'D feel if you spent one day inside the head of any one of the numerous women who've missed the opportunity to know the glories of Olympic participation for their country - ever! - cuz they weren't favored by Geno. Becky, Rebekkah....etc. Think about it. Confused

Yes, I think very few people are spending time caring that two amazing players for being selfish that they accepted an opportunity. I have definitely spent more time caring about this issue than I ever intended to haha.

I would feel deflated. Absolutely, I would feel deflated. And I feel sympathy towards these athletes, I do. But I would also redirect my criticism and self reflect on the situation. I don't think Nneka is sitting at home saying "Diana Taurasi is such a selfish pos" like those that are on here.

BUT, I have said enough and pissed enough people off that I am willing to give it up at this point and move on to other things. It's clear that many just disagree.

On that note, I am SO excited for the upcoming Olympics, for Staley and to watch team USA secure another gold. This board is a special place and I love all of the in depth dialogue that this place brings.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/26/21 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just want to repeat that the shoe companies that sponsor Taurasi and Bird -- and have paid both millions over the years -- insist that they play in the Olympics.

It's not selfish; it's business.

PostPosted: 06/26/21 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I just want to repeat that the shoe companies that sponsor Taurasi and Bird -- and have paid both millions over the years -- insist that they play in the Olympics.

Well, what about the shoe company that sponsored Parker? Hell, even NBC was using Parker in pre-Rio Olympic promos. Shocked Confused

BamaEd

PostPosted: 06/26/21 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
Howee wrote:
mercfan wrote:

"A few people...."?? I think you're outta touch.

.....and I'd love to know how YOU'D feel if you spent one day inside the head of any one of the numerous women who've missed the opportunity to know the glories of Olympic participation for their country - ever! - cuz they weren't favored by Geno. Becky, Rebekkah....etc. Think about it. Confused

Yes, I think very few people are spending time caring that two amazing players for being selfish that they accepted an opportunity. I have definitely spent more time caring about this issue than I ever intended to haha.

I would feel deflated. Absolutely, I would feel deflated. And I feel sympathy towards these athletes, I do. But I would also redirect my criticism and self reflect on the situation. I don't think Nneka is sitting at home saying "Diana Taurasi is such a selfish pos" like those that are on here.

BUT, I have said enough and pissed enough people off that I am willing to give it up at this point and move on to other things. It's clear that many just disagree.

On that note, I am SO excited for the upcoming Olympics, for Staley and to watch team USA secure another gold. This board is a special place and I love all of the in depth dialogue that this place brings.

I agree with all this. And for the record, I don't blame the players. If you are asked, of course you are gonna say yes. My blame lies with the decision makers for not incorporating newer players to keep the team fresh and give more the opportunity to play for their country when you have such a deep talent pool. I hope they do the expected and take the gold in Tokyo. Go Team USA!

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/26/21 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:

I agree with all this. And for the record, I don't blame the players. If you are asked, of course you are gonna say yes. My blame lies with the decision makers for not incorporating newer players to keep the team fresh and give more the opportunity to play for their country when you have such a deep talent pool. I hope they do the expected and take the gold in Tokyo. Go Team USA!

exactly. I don't blame players for accepting an awesome invitation. But those doing the invites need to have a reset. I am definitely happy for the newbies on the team! And most of the repeaters definitely deserve it as well. But I think term limits would be an appropriate way to take it out of their hands. To me, three olympics should be enough in a sport where we have amazing depth.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/26/21 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
three olympics should be enough in a sport where we have amazing depth.

Counting the 2021 Olympics as if they had already occurred, there have been 90 women's basketball Olympians since 1976.

Six players have been selected for more than three Olympics: Bird, Catchings, Edwards, Fowles, Leslie, Taurasi. That's 6.7% of the 90. And, some might say, long-productive, GOAT-level and deserving legends all.
Davis4632

PostPosted: 06/26/21 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Whew . . . quite a slog through the last five pages of this thread to figure out the U.S. Olympic team story line.

I don't get the entire plot, but the dramatis personae are clearly presented in the Playbill. There are seven, and only seven, villains: Geno Auriemma, Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Swin Cash, Asjha Jones, Tina Charles, and maybe Napheesa Collier. Every other character is heroic, deservingly good, neutral or screwed-over.

Reminds me of SAT questions from 60 year ago -- e.g., "What does this group of seven things have in common?"

If a person lives long enough, they will be seen as a villain in someone's story.

Howee

PostPosted: 06/26/21 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

exactly. I don't blame players for accepting an awesome invitation. But those doing the invites need to have a reset. I am definitely happy for the newbies on the team! And most of the repeaters definitely deserve it as well. But I think term limits would be an appropriate way to take it out of their hands. To me, three olympics should be enough in a sport where we have amazing depth.

Yaaay-MEN!

90 women? That's such a tiny percentage of the HUNDREDS of women who could have won gold, given the opportunity.

PostPosted: 06/26/21 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

90 women? That's such a tiny percentage of the HUNDREDS of women who could have won gold, given the opportunity.

Including 2021, there will have been 12 women's basketball Olympics with 12 roster slots on each team. If every team had all new players at each Olympiad, that would be a maximum total of 144 players. 90 is 62.5% of 144.

The USA has won gold eight times.

I don't understand what you are saying. That the USA should never select a player more than once? And that that approach would have won more golds?
ClayK

PostPosted: 06/26/21 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Well, what about the shoe company that sponsored Parker? Hell, even NBC was using Parker in pre-Rio Olympic promos. Shocked Confused

The difference is that Taurasi and Bird were picked; Parker was not.

So since Taurasi and Bird can go, they have to go. Parker couldn't go.

PostPosted: 06/26/21 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I see where back to blaming the shoe companies again.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 06/26/21 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TV announcers today in the Mystics vs. Wings game mentioned multiple times that Ariel Atkins has been dealing with a back injury. Potentially happened on Tuesday when Mystics played the Sparks.

Howee

PostPosted: 06/26/21 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:

Including 2021, there will have been 12 women's basketball Olympics with 12 roster slots on each team. If every team had all new players at each Olympiad, that would be a maximum total of 144 players. 90 is 62.5% of 144.

The USA has won gold eight times.

I don't understand what you are saying. That the USA should never select a player more than once? And that that approach would have won more golds?

Well first of all -- given that your numbers are accurate -- you're saying that, of 144 players' slots available, 90 women have filled those spots. Okay. I'd maintain that there are at least 200 women, over the years, that could have been on any given team and helped us win gold. Many of those may never have gotten much notice, as did Becky H., Rebekkah B., or Nneka. ('member Molly Bolin??) Cool

Instead of just viewing Taurasi (who will, imo, be the GOAT for a long time) as ONE woman of the 90, let's say that she's 'consumed/occupied' five of those 144 slots available to American women. Bird takes up five. Catchings, Fowles, Edwards and Leslie each take up four. That's 16 more 'slots'. That alone means six women have taken almost 20% of those spots available. Now, add in those that did (or will, this year) have done THREE Olympics: Anne D, Seimone A., Katrina M., Katie S., Dawn S., Sheryl S., and Tina C. = 21 slots taken by these gals.

That makes a total of 13 women who have done 3 or more Olympics. 13 women filled 47 of those 144 available 'slots'. 13 of the 90 women took 33% of all available slots. Not exactly the most equitable, well-distributed numbers, are they?

Parse it however we might, it IS what it IS. Razz No one will ever convince me that there are NO politics involved here. It's just how America rolls. Razz

*(ps: if anyone finds flaws in my math ((and their initials are 'pilight')), I say God Bless Ya!)

PostPosted: 06/27/21 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I see where back to blaming the shoe companies again.

No blame ... just business. You pay a bunch of money to someone to do a job, then you want them to do their job.

PostPosted: 06/29/21 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So it’s unusually quiet on this thread hmmmm.

I find it strange that some think that there are players who’s spots have been taken when possibly, they were never even considered in the first place.

USA don’t have to do diddly to explain, whether that’s good or bad in some eyes, they are the most successful program in the world. Especially considering they receive all medical documents regarding players in order to make their decisions. Remember how EDD s didn’t jive with the WNBA medical personnel but these orgs can’t disclose what’s in them.

Next, being considered the best on a low dwelling team also means diddly, as one can see there are some ball hogs in this league who have no clue how to pass, space, help D or manage a clock and may not be good teammates.

I don’t agree with all of USAs decisions, but some of the bias or hatred to a few also doesn’t jive. DT is a gamer, clearly her records showed her injury was not long term and she could still work out fully as it was contact that was being avoided unlike a knee where rehab and a lack of mobility training is involved. I like Nneka and if healthy guess she would have been on the team.

There is also an underlying tinge of discrimination sensed when I read some of the posts. The league s minority players are Asian, Native Americans, Latino, Caucasian etc. Just as with BLM which I am a huge proponent as my family is as diverse as they come, some of my family in the above categories, particularly Asian and Latino feel overlooked and have suffered discrimination from all ethnicities including The Black community, even though we should be included due to our heritage. Hatred is rife and feeds peoples bias and politics.

Queenie

PostPosted: 06/29/21 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It got quiet at least partially because it detoured to the Sparks-Merc thread, but really there's only so many circles we can go around in until something happens.

PostPosted: 06/29/21 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
So it’s unusually quiet on this thread hmmmm.

I'd like to pull on this thread, to unravel the subtext of this statement. What, exactly, are you implying?

I mean, (1) few, if any, posters disagree that the United States women's team is the overwhelming favorite in Tokyo, regardless of who's on the team, so there's no further discourse of any interest or consequence to be had there, until they actually start playing the games. And (2) this thread is 500+ posts deep, and it's probably been at least 300 posts since the last time anybody's presented a unique or original thought. Just how much longer do you want us to keep re-litigating this? I've heard your side's point of view. I've said what I have to say... Fuck do you want me to add to that?

What are you implying that the thread being "quiet" is indicative of?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 07/01/21 4:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sis couldn't make all star but is supposed to be an olympian?

pilight

PostPosted: 07/01/21 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is perhaps worth noting that no team has won a WNBA championship in an Olympic year with more than one member of Team USA on their roster

2016 Sparks had none
2012 Fever had only Catchings
2008 Shock had only Katie Smith
2004 Storm had only Bird
2000 Comets had only Swoopes

Most people hate poetry
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/05/21 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31765210/us-women-basketball-team-director-carol-callan-step-tokyo-olympics

Hmm I wonder if Geno will be her replacement Laughing Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 07/06/21 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/nbbfonline/status/1412433821581156355

Quote:
The Ogwumike sisters are on the threshold of history after the trio were listed in the 15 man provisional list submitted to the Nigeria Basketball Federation by Head Coach, Otis Hughley.

Most people hate poetry
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/06/21 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
The Ogwumike sisters are on the threshold of history after the trio were listed in the 15 man provisional list submitted to the Nigeria Basketball Federation by Head Coach, Otis Hughley.

What?! I'd have to check on Chiney, but surely Nneka's played at too high of a standard and way too much for Team USA to be eligible to switch nationality. Even by FIBA levels. She's been to World Cups, for crying out loud. Feels like it might be a publicity stunt, or he's chucked them on there in some desperate hope while they make a last-minute appeal to FIBA.

PostPosted: 07/06/21 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

What?! I'd have to check on Chiney, but surely Nneka's played at too high of a standard and way too much for Team USA to be eligible to switch nationality. Even by FIBA levels. She's been to World Cups, for crying out loud. Feels like it might be a publicity stunt, or he's chucked them on there in some desperate hope while they make a last-minute appeal to FIBA.

If they did , who can really blame them ? US shitted on Nneka so shit back Laughing

PostPosted: 07/06/21 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://ewnews.com/jones-denounces-bahamian-citizenship

Quote:
Jonquel Jones will no longer be representing The Bahamas in international competition.

Bahamas Basketball Federation (BBF) President Charles “Softly” Robins yesterday confirmed with Eyewitness News Sports that Jones asked to be released from The Bahamas national team in order to compete for Bosnia-Herzegovina (BIH).

“She came to me and asked to be let go in order for her to be able to make certain career moves, and in no way did I want to get in the way of what someone wants for their career,” Robins said.

“Playing for Bosnia will allow her access to a number of high paying European leagues that she wouldn’t be able to play in otherwise. Some of these leagues pay more than the Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA), and I didn’t want to get in the way of someone going after what their talent suggests.”

Jones would have to be released by the Bosnian team in order for her to be eligible to play for team Bahamas again.

This article states all it takes is being “released” from one country in order to play for another country. If so, I’m sure USAB would be amenable to releasing the Ogwumikes. Why wouldn’t they?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 21 of 27

Jump to: