KLS is probably better than this year's No. 1

You are on an island with this take, Clay. Laughing

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/10/21 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Could be ... but I think this year's draft is awful, and I don't think any of the lottery picks will become quality starters. KLS is not a quality starter either but she's better this year than the No. 1 pick will be -- and I think Seattle wants to win now.

Look at it this way: Is Charli Collier going to do more for Seattle than KLS? Or any of the other lottery suspects?

PostPosted: 02/10/21 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Could be ... but I think this year's draft is awful, and I don't think any of the lottery picks will become quality starters. KLS is not a quality starter either but she's better this year than the No. 1 pick will be -- and I think Seattle wants to win now.

Look at it this way: Is Charli Collier going to do more for Seattle than KLS? Or any of the other lottery suspects?

Charli Collier wouldn't have necessarily been the #1 Pick if we still had it. But even then, KLS averaged 5 PPG last season on 41% FG (31% 3PT). You gotta admit that that's quite a low bar for a post player with raw talent to clear.

This Draft is weak at the top. Otherwise, it's actually similar to last year's in the amount of mid-level picks who can be useful for a team's bench. I don't think it'll be the shit show 2017's Draft was. But maybe that's my hot take for the day.

At any rate, is Samuelson gonna be ready to not only start for the Storm but be the defensive stopper on the perimeter? I don't think so. I would've preferred an Arella Guirantes or even a Chelsea Dungee over Samuelson. Hell, Stewie could've played the 3 and we still could've drafted a Collier or a Mack. I'd love for her to prove me wrong, but Samuelson ain't shit in this League.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/10/21 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like this for Phoenix

We’ve got we are a guard heavy team but we needed depth and its likely to take some time for Bria to get back into her grove (and who knows how much time she’ll miss with the Olympics)

So we’ve added some wing Depth. Turner was outstanding last season..if we get BG back and Smith is the first Post off the bench (with a mainly three post rotation..) it’s not a bad team.

We still could use another shooter or too. Only DT was consistent there that season, and I’m not sure walker or Nurse will be.

PostPosted: 02/10/21 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has everything settled down? I'm half expecting my phone to ring and my ticket rep to tell me I've been traded to, IDK, Indiana.

PostPosted: 02/10/21 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Lou.s W career reminds me of a game of hot potato, Chicago drafts her at #4 ahead of fellow UConn alum Collier (#6), After an injury marked rookie year, it sure looked like the Sky were burnt, but Chicago unloaded her (and their late first round pick( to Dallas for Azura Stevens. After an unimpressive second year (no injury excuse), it looked like burnt hands for the Wings, but, lo and behold, they find a pigeon in Seattle and net the #1 pick in this year's draft. Consider that her first two teams had so much invested in Katie Lou, yet jumped ship, it looks to me that the Storm are going to eat that hot potato.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/10/21 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Has everything settled down? I'm half expecting my phone to ring and my ticket rep to tell me I've been traded to, IDK, Indiana.

Nah, they work for us. More like you get to trade your rep for the latest selection from Jocelyn Willoughby's Read What You Sow book club.

I think people need to cut Megan Walker some slack. Just about everyone who tested positive (except for Courtney Williams) had a bad season. In addition, we're now hearing that Walker had a hip injury. My major concern is whether she can play off the bench. Right now, she's having a Jekyll & Hyde season over in Hungary. Megan has been solid as a starter in the Hungarian League, but she's been almost invisible as a bench player in Euroleague. Maybe she needs to be one of these Bill Laimbeer-type faux starters who is on the floor for the tip-off but gets subbed out pretty quickly.

PostPosted: 02/10/21 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
We’ve got we are a guard heavy team but we needed depth and its likely to take some time for Bria to get back into her grove (and who knows how much time she’ll miss with the Olympics)

Nurse is also playing in the Olympics, so that part is a wash.

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/10/21 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

You always come up the funniest posts. Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 02/10/21 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

just to shout I might self

I know i suggested #1 for Howard a couple times (I threw in some other stuff at points)

and Nurse for #6 came up in a discussion with root so

see if you throw enough out there you are bound to get something correct

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 02/10/21 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My question is can Phoenix afford Kia and Megan under the cap with the players they have under contract? They currently have 10 players under contract (albeit one is a training camp contract).

DT, BG, Diggins-Smith, Hartley, Vaughn, Coffey (was she waived), B Turner, A Smith, Cunningham, and Peddy.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/10/21 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will trading the 2021 #1 Pick for Katie Lou Samuelson + a 2022 2nd-rounder go down as the worst trade in the WNBA's history? What do you all think?

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 02/10/21 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:
My question is can Phoenix afford Kia and Megan under the cap with the players they have under contract? They currently have 10 players under contract (albeit one is a training camp contract).

DT, BG, Diggins-Smith, Hartley, Vaughn, Coffey (was she waived), B Turner, A Smith, Cunningham, and Peddy.

Coffey was waived.

canadaball

PostPosted: 02/10/21 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The funny thing is that, looking at the Dallas roster with all those first round picks coming this year, it is not clear Katie Lou would make the team, but it is simple math that is mind boggling. NY takes the #6 pick in this year's draft for Nurse and Walker while Seattle gives up #1 for KL. Does this mean that KL is much better than the combo Walker/Nurse.....What am I missing???

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/10/21 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Will trading the 2021 #1 Pick for Katie Lou Samuelson + a 2022 2nd-rounder go down as the worst trade in the WNBA's history? What do you all think?

Could be, Katie Smith being traded for Chandi Jones, Stacey Thomas, and a 2006 first round pick, which ended up being Shona Thorborn is the worst, IMO.

Liberty trading their first round pick(which turned out to be Tina Charles) in 2010 to the Sparks for Sidney Spencer, which was then traded to the Lynx with Raffaela Masciadri for Noelle Quinn is up there as well.

PostPosted: 02/10/21 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Dallas now has picks #1, 2, 5, and 7. Something must be up. I can't see them using all those picks.

There are so many questions in this year's draft maybe they think if they take 'em all, they'll find one or two who are useful?

I think Dallas should trade that #1 pick to Indy for Lauren Cox.

That's actually a really good idea.

But I think Indiana's about to trade Teaira McCowan to Dallas now. Just a hunch. Marianne Stanley wants shooters at all 5 positions. McCowan sure as hell ain't that. Laughing

Give us either or idc . You can have 1 number 2 number PP for all I care right now. Why every offseason we end up with like 30 first picks and still miss the playoffs Laughing Laughing the worst #PP’s in history !

PostPosted: 02/10/21 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Fuck you Alicia. This trade is disgraceful. I have never been this angry as a Storm fan. Evil or Very Mad

Oh damn Laughing Laughing

If it makes you feel any better I’m not a happy wing woman myself right now , but I don’t think we’re done yet with this free agency. This i believe is the beginning of a nice set up for a big with experience. BG is from Houston might I add , but I have no inside detail of a trade being made for her yet.

PostPosted: 02/10/21 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Could be, Katie Smith being traded for Chandi Jones, Stacey Thomas, and a 2006 first round pick, which ended up being Shona Thorborn is the worst, IMO.

Liberty trading their first round pick(which turned out to be Tina Charles) in 2010 to the Sparks for Sidney Spencer, which was then traded to the Lynx with Raffaela Masciadri for Noelle Quinn is up there as well.

Dream trading their lottery pick (DD) for IMS should rank up their too. Dream trading another lottery pick (which could have been J. Jones) for EWill sucked as well.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/10/21 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Dream trading their lottery pick (DD) for IMS should rank up their too.

One of the few things Stocks did right. Laughing

PostPosted: 02/10/21 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Dream trading their lottery pick (DD) for IMS should rank up their too. Dream trading another lottery pick (which could have been J. Jones) for EWill sucked as well.

You're right, that pick could've been Jones. 'Twas the Sun though who screwed up that whole thing by picking Banham with the pick instead, so then they had to trade Chelsea Gray in a package for Jones. Sun could've had a title by now with a simple PG upgrade. Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 02/10/21 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Angela Taylor did so much damage to the Dream

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/10/21 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It went unmentioned that Whitcomb's contract is for 2 years protected at $150,350 each year.

Looks like New York was the team that wanted to shell out that kind of money for her, which seems less like bench-player money and more like starter money. Hope she gets that chance. Good for her that she got a good payday out of her best season last year.

craigmont

PostPosted: 02/10/21 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What fanbase IS happy with this new CBA and salary cap? Nobody good gets to keep their team together. The cap seems to be doing its job- distributing talent around the league and containing costs.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/11/21 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
What fanbase IS happy with this new CBA and salary cap? Nobody good gets to keep their team together. The cap seems to be doing its job- distributing talent around the league and containing costs.

The fanbases that, exactly as you said, have gotten the talent distributed to them thus far. It also makes the League more exciting & enticing in general to the casual League fan when player movement is so prevalent. For most fans, they were excited about this year's free agency period because of all the potential upside. For us Storm fans however, there was always going to be much more potential downside once we won it all since we were on a mission to stay good instead of get good. And unfortunately for us, much of that downside was realized today.

Last edited by Stormeo on 02/11/21 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/11/21 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:

The Lynx cheap dynasty will not be repeated.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: