RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Team USA 2020/2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canadaball

PostPosted: 06/21/21 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:
Another sloppy job by USA. If you pull the Taurasi has to make the team because she's been here 4 times before, you have to include Nneka for all that she's done for the game and her dedication to Team USA. And if she really isn't ready to lace em up in time, then you switch her out with someone who is.

Bad move by USA. Are we surprised

Neka's credentials certainly merit Olympic consideration; however, unlike Parker's exclusion in 2016, it is easy to understand the thinking. How does Neka's skill set add to that overpowering USA front line? She is an undersized passionate warrior, but the other 4/5's offer more. On the other hand, the USA perimeter with Bird, Taurasi, and Gray is not young or very athletic. Loyd and Diggy help, but Atkins gives another young guard with legs. The knee injury, which unlike DT whp plays next week,, has unsure future, clinches it. BTW there is no provision for replacement of injured player past the drop dead date (I believe July 5).

In that case, why make the annoucement now? Why not wait until July 5 so you know the health status of both Taurasi and Nneka. Or everyone else for that matter ...

After double checking, I can clear up the roster deadline. July 5 only applies to men's teams. June 23 is the women's deadline. The reason for difference relates to NBA playoffs. Seems like the women's committee has waited just about as long as possible.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/21/21 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:
Another sloppy job by USA. If you pull the Taurasi has to make the team because she's been here 4 times before, you have to include Nneka for all that she's done for the game and her dedication to Team USA. And if she really isn't ready to lace em up in time, then you switch her out with someone who is.

Bad move by USA. Are we surprised

Neka's credentials certainly merit Olympic consideration; however, unlike Parker's exclusion in 2016, it is easy to understand the thinking. How does Neka's skill set add to that overpowering USA front line? She is an undersized passionate warrior, but the other 4/5's offer more. On the other hand, the USA perimeter with Bird, Taurasi, and Gray is not young or very athletic. Loyd and Diggy help, but Atkins gives another young guard with legs. The knee injury, which unlike DT whp plays next week,, has unsure future, clinches it. BTW there is no provision for replacement of injured player past the drop dead date (I believe July 5).

In that case, why make the annoucement now? Why not wait until July 5 so you know the health status of both Taurasi and Nneka. Or everyone else for that matter ...

After double checking, I can clear up the roster deadline. July 5 only applies to men's teams. June 23 is the women's deadline. The reason for difference relates to NBA playoffs. Seems like the women's committee has waited just about as long as possible.

That makes more sense, thank you. I had seen the July 5 date floating around so was very surprised by today's announcement.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/21/21 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That June 23 date seems to be a fairly arbitrarily applied date by the US Olympic Committee. July 5 is the only date I've seen anywhere to actually submit the teams to the IOC or FIBA or whoever actually needs them for the Games. Weird.

PostPosted: 06/21/21 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Six new players seems like the biggest change in a while

Not really. The 2012 team had six players who weren't on the 2008 team, including losing three starters. Same for 2008 vs 2004. 2016, with only three replacements, is the outlier.

Well, nine years is a while. Wink I guess I was fooled by the whining factor which makes it seem like the players never change. Razz

If the Olympics had gone on as planned last year, I believe Nneka might have made it instead of Charles. I think resting for a year and a half really rejuvenated Tina. That's part of the mystique of the Olympics. Timing and luck are such big factors when there's a gap of years between events

PostPosted: 06/21/21 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From Chiney's Twitter:
https://twitter.com/chiney/status/1406980225456435212?s=20

I mean she does make some good points there. I know it was a tough decision. Do y'all think it was down to Tina vs Nneka and Tina's good year and Nneka's injury did it? Or could they have dropped a guard, move Stewie to 3 and keep both? I do hate it for Nneka.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/21/21 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they wanted an actually balanced roster, with most people at their natural positions, it would've probably had to have been Charles. But given USA Basketball's history, if they were going to leave any of that 12 out for Nneka, I think it would've been Atkins. Then Stewart plays much more 3 and Nneka's an extra post. They basically did the same thing for Worlds three years ago.

PostPosted: 06/21/21 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Nneka is now almost certain to be the first league MVP to never make an Olympic team. She'll be 33 in 2024, and hard to imagine her making her first team then.

It happens. There are a number of NBA MVPs who never played in the Olympics, like Steph Curry.

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/21/21 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Nneka is now almost certain to be the first league MVP to never make an Olympic team. She'll be 33 in 2024, and hard to imagine her making her first team then.

It happens. There are a number of NBA MVPs who never played in the Olympics, like Steph Curry.

It hasn't happened in the WNBA to this point.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/21/21 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nneka is just unfortunate that she has 3 other MVP players in front of her at the 4 spot. All 3 are playing better then her. Leaving Atkins off the roster wouldnt change the fact that Nneka wouldnt play that much. I get why they still went with Fowles as a natural center to backup Griner.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Queenie

PostPosted: 06/21/21 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am both okay with Ogwumike being left off the roster and thoroughly of the opinion that there should be a two-Olympiad limit for Team USA players.

PostPosted: 06/21/21 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I am both okay with Ogwumike being left off the roster and thoroughly of the opinion that there should be a two-Olympiad limit for Team USA players.

I updated my one-Olympics rosters to include 2021

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1657399#1657399

BamaEd

PostPosted: 06/21/21 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I am ok with a term limit as well. When you have a talent pool as deep as the USA has, why not take advantage of it? It's not like you all of a sudden wouldn't become a favorite, but you would give more players the chance to represent their country. Also, you will ensure that you can get a mix of vets and newbies to the international game.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/21/21 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I am ok with a term limit as well. When you have a talent pool as deep as the USA has, why not take advantage of it? It's not like you all of a sudden wouldn't become a favorite, but you would give more players the chance to represent their country. Also, you will ensure that you can get a mix of vets and newbies to the international game.

The idea would last for as long as it took for them to screw one up and lose one.

PostPosted: 06/21/21 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
BamaEd wrote:
Queenie wrote:

The idea would last for as long as it took for them to screw one up and lose one.

That's why it's a two-term limit. One would be extreme.

PostPosted: 06/21/21 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"We can't make room on our roster for all our MVPs" is quite literally a first world problem

mercfan

PostPosted: 06/21/21 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a big Nneka fan so it's obviously disappointing. More so because I think she is an excellent ambassador of the game. Unfortunately, it's just the most dominant position in the game at the moment. The forwards on team USA are considerably "better" than the group of guards. If Stewart or Wilson couldn't make it due to injury, she would be in. You can't even reposition because Fowles, Griner and Charles are arguably 3 of the 4 best U.S. centers ever if we're talking pure talent. It's just the way the cookie crumbles. I do have sympathy though and thought Chiney's piece was spot on.

FWIW Staley's comments do heavily imply that the injury was a major part of her omission and it seems like a lot of facts regarding decision making conversations have not been revealed.

I don't really care about term limits per say. It just doesn't matter to me if players are still arguably the best in their role. Playing international competition and excelling is more difficult than some of ya'll make it out to be. You can't just throw a bunch of 22 year olds on the court and call it a day at this level. Players like Bird and Taurasi have just made it look easy over the last 20 years.

miller40

PostPosted: 06/21/21 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
I'm a big Nneka fan so it's obviously disappointing. More so because I think she is an excellent ambassador of the game. Unfortunately, it's just the most dominant position in the game at the moment. The forwards on team USA are considerably "better" than the group of guards. If Stewart or Wilson couldn't make it due to injury, she would be in. You can't even reposition because Fowles, Griner and Charles are arguably 3 of the 4 best U.S. centers ever if we're talking pure talent. It's just the way the cookie crumbles. I do have sympathy though and thought Chiney's piece was spot on.

FWIW Staley's comments do heavily imply that the injury was a major part of her omission and it seems like a lot of facts regarding decision making conversations have not been revealed.

I don't really care about term limits per say. It just doesn't matter to me if players are still arguably the best in their role. Playing international competition and excelling is more difficult than some of ya'll make it out to be. You can't just throw a bunch of 22 year olds on the court and call it a day at this level. Players like Bird and Taurasi have just made it look easy over the last 20 years.

Ogwumike’s sister/s and her agent have all confirmed she will be just as healthy and ready to play by Olympics as Taurasi.

Dev Peters has a lot of info on USAWBB in this thread, it is worth a look:
https://twitter.com/mspeters14/status/1407099988388286466?s=21
It includes mention of there being separate activities for UConn and non-UConn Team USA members in London 2012.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 06/21/21 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
mercfan wrote:

Ogwumike’s sister/s and her agent have all confirmed she will be just as healthy and ready to play by Olympics as Taurasi.

It includes mention of there being separate activities for UConn and non-UConn Team USA members in London 2012.

Whew! M E S S

Dev went all in Shocked

BamaEd

PostPosted: 06/21/21 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:

To me, that's why they need to keep the team fresh and keep getting more players more experience. When you have the same players for 20 years, then the new crop don't get the chance to play with vets and learn from them. You basically throw them on the court and call it a day at this level.

I'm not saying fully dump the vets, but work in the new generation to play alongside them.

jmpenn90

PostPosted: 06/21/21 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
miller40 wrote:
mercfan wrote:

Whew! M E S S

Dev went all in Shocked

I believe every word plus there is probably lots that she isn’t aware of.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/21/21 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:

Nneka hasn’t been very healthy for two years. Plus they left off the beloved Delle Donne for health concerns.

mercfan wrote:
You can't just throw a bunch of 22 year olds on the court and call it a day at this level.

Tell that to the coaches and players of the 2021 AmeriCup roster.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=99706

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/21/21 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Term limits are a silly bandaid for a problem that can be instantly fixed just by selecting players on merit. You shouldn't have to impose some arbitrary limit purely to avoid having to tell someone "Sorry but your value to this basketball team is no longer top-12 level"

As we've said for years, the USA could pick a best 12, leave them at home, send the next-best 12, and still comfortably win gold, so that leaves the selectors free to do whatever they want and still say "We won. This vindicates everything we have done." and get away with having an obviously flawed system.

A small & petty part of me is happy because there's about to be players with more golds than LLL, but it's clearly a bad system right now.

PostPosted: 06/21/21 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Next Olympics will be the one to watch, Bird and taurasi will finally hang it up and let others shine for once. In Jesus name. Amen

mercfan

PostPosted: 06/21/21 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
mercfan wrote:

Nneka hasn’t been very healthy for two years. Plus they left off the beloved Delle Donne for health concerns.

mercfan wrote:
You can't just throw a bunch of 22 year olds on the court and call it a day at this level.

Tell that to the coaches and players of the 2021 AmeriCup roster.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=99706

Right because that is elite olympic level competition. The Opals have like 9 WNBA players on their roster, one of which dominated at Stanford. One of which is a perennial all-star. Two won the WNBA title last season.

Cambage, Whitcomb and Mitchell would have a field day.

Queenie

PostPosted: 06/21/21 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
Next Olympics will be the one to watch, Bird and taurasi will finally hang it up and let others shine for once. In Jesus name. Amen

Bold assumption there.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 15 of 27

Jump to: