RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Brittney Griner Arrested in Russia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/30/22 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am stunned to read a long, detailed statement which NEVER uses the name "Vladimir Putin" as if Brittney Griner is in the midst of a criminal justice system that will operate rationally and fairly. I believe that Putin will decide what happens to Griner and his lackeys will do whatever Putin says. Any analysis other than that is, in my view, worthless.

PostPosted: 05/30/22 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I am stunned to read a long, detailed statement which NEVER uses the name "Vladimir Putin" as if Brittney Griner is in the midst of a criminal justice system that will operate rationally and fairly. I believe that Putin will decide what happens to Griner and his lackeys will do whatever Putin says. Any analysis other than that is, in my view, worthless.

Thank you for unpiling the biggest heap of dung on this entire thread.

Given that it is Putin that is holding her and given how frequently Putin orders fake drug busts (drugs are planted or "evidence" is constructed after the fact), all the meandering around supposed legal issues just serves to muddy up BG even further. There is less than zero insight about how we can get her home sooner and safely.

But we know the source of the aforementioned dung heap regularly loses his shlt over cute straight white girls and BG ain't straight or white.

~rAf
RavenDog

PostPosted: 05/30/22 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glenn is 100% right.

For those who have never had the opportunity travel to Russia, you don't just grab your passport, get on a plane and fly there. You must have a sponsor who invites you to come. You must fill out a form for your planned whereabouts and your time in country. You are considered a guest there and, of course, expected to follow the laws of the country and act appropriately.

Before you get to Russia, you are provided written and oral requirements and regulations by your sponsor, agent, basketball team owner, and others. They have some responsibility for your presence there too. Therefore, is goes without saying that BG definitely knew the rules and regulations and she's been in and out of Russia and other Eastern European countries many, many times. Like her, thousands of interracial, blacks, latinos, caucasians, asians, catholics, islamics, Bhudists, athletes, politicians, bankers, lawyers etc., i.e., people from all walks of life travel there frequently.

Putin's a bad guy, we know that. But he has more to do than to detain a USA basketball player who has made millions as a guest of one of his rich oligarchs. A pretty sweet deal to throw away, if she did commit the crime.

Don't fall for all the propaganda expounded on Russia. I experienced this when I went the first time. They're going to take your camera from you, you'll be searched and watched constantly, there are police everywhere with rifles, etc., etc. In actuality, I had a professional camera used by the media and no one even batted an eye, I roamed freely without instance, noticed no crime or gun violence, I freely road trains and buses, from St. Petersburg to and through Moscow. visited churches, other houses of religion, tour sites, restaurants, hotels etc., without any intrusion or interruption. People were all very helpful and considerate. Very little difference than here, except the majority of the people are poor.

A good amount of the people speak English so it's easy to get around without trying to read their street signs, if you know what I mean. At the Kremlin, there's actually a mall inside the gates and it's freely frequented. People of religious backgrounds work inside the Kremlin and walk about freely too. Tourists go in and out of the buildings and sites without intervention. I even talked to the Russian guards when I needed assistance. They were welcoming and helpful. In St. Petersburg there are many weddings and events, I was able to go up to them, take photographs (of course, after asking for permission) and even speak with them.

The worst thing about Russia and especially Moscow is the food prices.

Politicians never cease to try and take advantage of every catastrophic event. Activists love to spread propaganda and gaslight others. Our government has made this event worse than it should be, especially by declaring racism, homophobia, illegal detention and so forth. It's all about them, not BG and her lawyers. It's propaganda designed to take attention away from their horrible leadership and catastrophic outcomes. If we can get BG back, they will take full credit for it. If not, they'll say they say it was not their fault and blame it on something else - we should all know the game by now. It's not just the Democrats but Republicans too.

In Belarus, the people are well educated, way more than in our country. Ukraine was very welcoming and hard to believe what it now looks like. The people of both countries will tell you straight out that they didn't and don't like living under a dictatorship but, they really have no choice. The elections are rigged in Belarus and they have little hope for change. Some Belarussians have gotten their education in the USA. Everyone I met or talked with in Belarus, especially in the capital of Minsk, spoke English better than me and you would never guess they were from Belarus, if you didn't know. However, there's very little work there and the majority of the men leave there for work. There's something like 5-6 women for one man.

So, it's what Glenn said, we just have to hope for the best circumstances to surface and a successful outcome.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/30/22 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's possible that circumstances in Russia have changed for westerners with the war and subsequent sanctions going on.

PostPosted: 05/30/22 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I am stunned to read a long, detailed statement which NEVER uses the name "Vladimir Putin" as if Brittney Griner is in the midst of a criminal justice system that will operate rationally and fairly. I believe that Putin will decide what happens to Griner and his lackeys will do whatever Putin says.

Feel free to feel stunned, Bob, but I tried to make clear that I was presenting a legal analysis of Russian law "[a]side from the diplomatic/political speculations about Griner's arrest", which are uselessly plastered everywhere, and that I was "focusing solely on the possible legal outcomes", which I haven't seen anyone analyze in detail.

Putin's influence would be part of the diplomatic/political influence that was not my topic.

However, I disagree that Griner is on Putin's radar. He is running a gigantic country, pursuing wars, trying to manipulate NATO, combating sanctions, managing a complex and poorly performing economy, wondering where his yachts are, engaged in horseplay with his horses and mistresses and hunting, and perhaps suffering from one or more fatal diseases. I don't see Griner as a valuable political pawn to him, or even a mote of dust on a pawn.

Nevertheless, even if Griner is somehow freed as a result of political influence, from Putin or whomever, the result will most likely be explained in terms of the Russian legal system. My speculation is that that explanation will be in the form of a legal fine following a guilty plea or conviction, of the type I have analyzed under the relevant Russian statute.
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/30/22 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree That Putin likely hardly knows Griner's name if at all. But some of his minions who have his ear certainly do and they will play it as much as possible to get as much as possible in return. It's like hostage taking. Regardless of the legal ramifications, she will likely be played as a political pawn. But I agree with Glenn that they will likely couch it in legal terms.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 05/31/22 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brit is a US Olympian whom Russian Oligarchs pay millions to. I think it’s actually more likely that he over values her cultural influence on America. (Which is why he asked for his merchant of death)

I think it’s naive to believe this is just an instance of an athlete not following the rules. Again - she plays for a Russia oligarch. If it wasn’t political he would have had her out of this situation in an hour.

PostPosted: 05/31/22 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Brit is a US Olympian whom Russian Oligarchs pay millions to. I think it’s actually more likely that he over values her cultural influence on America. (Which is why he asked for his merchant of death)

I think it’s naive to believe this is just an instance of an athlete not following the rules. Again - she plays for a Russia oligarch. If it wasn’t political he would have had her out of this situation in an hour.

I've been wondering about the Oligarch in all this.

My speculative belief is that BG was likely allowed to break this law because of his influence but obviously circumstances have changed.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 05/31/22 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

My speculative belief is that BG was likely allowed to break this law because of his influence but obviously circumstances have changed.
\

Somewhere hiding his yacht, and jet. His loyalty to the Kremlin doesn't even warrant a phone call to help his star player in tough situation, sadly...

PostPosted: 05/31/22 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

\

Somewhere hiding his yacht, and jet. His loyalty to the Kremlin doesn't even warrant a phone call to help his star player in tough situation, sadly...

Or he set her up.

He could have known she’d have the vape, and handed his government an American.

Our government calls her unlawfully detained, so I would think that would mean she was either innocent or allowed to have what she had…

PostPosted: 05/31/22 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

\

Or he set her up.

He could have known she’d have the vape, and handed his government an American.

Our government calls her unlawfully detained, so I would think that would mean she was either innocent or allowed to have what she had…

I think "unlawfully detained" or "wrongful detention" are generic diplomacy-speak for they want the suspect to be released. After the suspect has been tried and sentenced, they change it to "unlawfully imprisoned or incarcerated." The US is saying the same thing about Whelan, and Russia said the same things about Yaroshenko and Bout.

TigerVol

PostPosted: 06/01/22 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

IMO this is a legit possibility.

It is naive to think some level of authority didn't/doesn't know every detail of the comings/goings of high profile Americans or citizens of other countries.

I imagine the info gathering intensified as the invasion plans progressed.

Putin was KGB. The state didn't turn into a cuddly kitten.

I think she was a target of known opportunity.

Either drugs planted (dogs can be "signaled to signal") or was a rules change scenario ie not the first time and had basically been known (by some level of monitoring authority) and allowed in the past... Until it wasn't.

And I absolutely believe putin knows who he has.

Remember the role sport (especially olympics) played in cold War pride and still plays in autocratic countries. Especially Russia. Especially Putin. Olympic superiority (via massive cheating) was used as in country propaganda for home country strength vs opposing country weakness.

In his mind the propaganda value is far higher with an Olympic athlete.

PostPosted: 06/01/22 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Regarding anyone who questions whether BG is guilty or not I have a middle finger for you. This is Russia the most corrupt, bigoted country in the world that is run by an oligarch who cheats to win and kills those who oppose him. So shove the question of guilt where the sun don't shine. #BringBGHome

Griner has been playing basketball in Russia since 2014.

SPD

PostPosted: 06/02/22 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BG is able to get printed emails via her lawyer and respond by writing her reply on paper or by narration.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/34024985/wnba-star-brittney-griner-able-communicate-via-email-letters-detainment-russia

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 06/02/22 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:
BG is able to get printed emails via her lawyer and respond by writing her reply on paper or by narration.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/34024985/wnba-star-brittney-griner-able-communicate-via-email-letters-detainment-russia

I was so happy to hear this!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 06/04/22 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, Grant Williams and other Celtics teammates donned black and orange shirts that read "We Are BG" ahead of their practice at the Chase Center in San Francisco on Saturday. The back of the shirt featured a QR code that links to a Change.org petition to "Secure Brittney Griner's Swift and Safe Return to the U​.​S."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/wnba/2022/06/04/boston-celtics-we-are-bg-shirts-support-brittney-griner/7516530001/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/04/22 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:
Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, Grant Williams and other Celtics teammates donned black and orange shirts that read "We Are BG" ahead of their practice at the Chase Center in San Francisco on Saturday. The back of the shirt featured a QR code that links to a Change.org petition to "Secure Brittney Griner's Swift and Safe Return to the U​.​S."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/wnba/2022/06/04/boston-celtics-we-are-bg-shirts-support-brittney-griner/7516530001/

I’ve noticed a lot of NBA players using their platform for BG lately.

Some shift has happened recently. I think it came with the attempted swap of the merchant of death, but maybe something behind the scenes? Everyone was quiet about it until everyone wasn’t.

PostPosted: 06/04/22 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:

I’ve noticed a lot of NBA players using their platform for BG lately.

Some shift has happened recently. I think it came with the attempted swap of the merchant of death, but maybe something behind the scenes? Everyone was quiet about it until everyone wasn’t.

I'm guessing they (NBA players) got the messaging also to kept quiet about her situation at first. The recent strategy has changed, and thankfully some higher profile athletes are also using their voices. I think Carmelo released a video too.

PostPosted: 06/07/22 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/07/politics/brittney-griner-trevor-reed-rally-russia-detention/index.html

Recently released American Trevor Reed advocating for BG's release.

ucbart

PostPosted: 06/09/22 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Dawn Staley posts a lot about BG, strangely her former college coach hasn't seemed to do the same Shocked Confused

Well, Dawn acts like her players on social media and is on twitter 24/7, Kim isn't. This is an irresponsible take, IMO.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/13/22 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://news.yahoo.com/state-department-officials-meet-griners-185533778.html

State Dept meets with Mercury.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 06/14/22 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://abcnews.go.com/International/russian-court-extends-detention-wnba-star-brittney-griner/story?id=85385157

Quote:
Griner, who was detained in February, will remain in custody at least through July 2, according to Russian state media outlet TASS.

PostPosted: 06/14/22 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From ESPN's article on the July 2 delay:

Quote:
"Hostage diplomacy cases rely on the pretense of law. The Russians won't ever say 'we're holding Brittney Griner hostage,' but by repeatedly postponing her trial, they're communicating their intentions," Danielle Gilbert, assistant professor of military and strategic studies at the U.S. Air Force Academy told ESPN. "Dragging out her detention, missing court deadlines -- these are key indicators that we should question the legitimacy of her arrest, precisely why the U.S. classified it as a wrongful detention."

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/34091855/phoenix-mercury-star-brittney-griner-russian-detention-extended

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 06/14/22 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wrongful detention....exactly. That's what this has been all along....

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/14/22 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
From ESPN's article on the July 2 delay:

Quote:
"Hostage diplomacy cases rely on the pretense of law. The Russians won't ever say 'we're holding Brittney Griner hostage,' but by repeatedly postponing her trial, they're communicating their intentions," Danielle Gilbert, assistant professor of military and strategic studies at the U.S. Air Force Academy told ESPN. "Dragging out her detention, missing court deadlines -- these are key indicators that we should question the legitimacy of her arrest, precisely why the U.S. classified it as a wrongful detention."

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/34091855/phoenix-mercury-star-brittney-griner-russian-detention-extended

Exactly. This has nothing to do with Russian law. It's a hostage negotiation - always has been. I'm sure they have an actual training on the procedure for fake charges to take a hostage needed to gain release of a Russian terrorist. There's no need to clog our minds with the gobbledegook of Russian laws when this has nothing to do with any legal proceedings.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 15 of 33

Jump to: