46%
 46%  [ 6 ]
Dream
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 13

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/26/21 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course us Storm fans miss Sami Whitcomb, but it's genuinely nice to see her thrive in a bigger role than she ever would've got in Seattle due to the starting guards who were in front of her. That she had this kind of game in her was likely why she got the contract that she did – LFO bet on her, and credit to them, it's been a worthwhile endeavor, especially with Ionescu being hurt or absent the past few weeks. Don't think most people (including myself) thought she would actually be worth it, but imo it's hard to argue with what she's been doing on overall a nightly basis. Might have to buy her NY jersey; it's also nice she gets to play as her preferred number (#32) in New York, as she never got to here in Seattle due to Alysha Clark reserving it (though, oof, I suppose Whitcomb would've been able to this year 🥴).

Elsewhere...

In 17.5 minutes, Elizabeth Williams went 2-6 for 4 pts, had 1 rebound, 0 blocks, and a team-worst +/- of -26. Oof. But y'know what? The Storm have three 2RPs next year. I'd still trade one of them for a half-season rental of EWill, or perhaps Kiah Stokes. Veteran defense-oriented true centers aren't easy to come by, but imo the Storm need a little reinforcements in that area, seeing as Ezi Magbegor has still been up & down coming off the bench. Who are we gonna get post defense from off the bench? Candice Dupree? Pfft, yeah, right. 🙃

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/27/21 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Post-game boxscore adjustment:
30 points, 6 boards, 5 assists, 3 steals.
Weird to see a points total changed.

The whole thing sounds fishy. Just like elections, basketball games in Georgia are rigged. The Dream won this game. Stop the steal!

PostPosted: 06/27/21 2:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Post-game boxscore adjustment:
30 points, 6 boards, 5 assists, 3 steals.
Weird to see a points total changed.

The whole thing sounds fishy. Just like elections, basketball games in Georgia are rigged. The Dream won this game. Stop the steal!

Only two possible explanations:

1. Staggering incompetence that makes a professional league look amateurish. Can't even get the final score right???

2. A conspiracy to embarrass the Dream and the WNBA led by She Who Will Not Be Named.

PostPosted: 06/27/21 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

May I just say once again that I very much enjoy Sami dominating teams when we're not the team she's dominating?

PostPosted: 06/27/21 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m not in the locker room obviously so I’m just guessing here. But separating Sami’s actual performance, which has also been really solid, but it comes across that her leadership is a big deal too.

A couple of things that are observations both watching her play and hearing her speak. She’s incredibly unselfish in terms of her shot selection and her willingness to move the ball for better shots. Her shooting % is over 50 and honestly the team would probably be better off if she’d take some of the shots she passes up. But that said, her unselfishness is a great trait. She also willingly handles the ball more when needed. She hustles on D. She rebounds. She takes charges. She takes shots that end opposing teams’ runs.

Then I was listening to her post game on Thursday. She was incredibly accountable and honest about herself and her teammates. In a pleasant way. A way that you can tell she can get people to listen.

I thought that she was better suited coming off the bench and that her streaky nature in the past suited that role. As it turns out, starting and having a more prominent role in a system that is tailored for her play has made her step up another level.

There was a handful of games where she barely shot the ball recently. Two separate broadcasts have made mention of her displaying pain. Idk if there’s a correlation, but she dismissed it in seconds without hesitation. You get the feeling even if she was in pain she would never acknowledge it publicly.

What a terrific player. We’d be nowhere near 8-8 without her. Like nowhere even close.

PostPosted: 06/27/21 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So where pilight? I need to know if an Interim coach has ever been fired and replaced with another Interim coach?

pilight

PostPosted: 06/27/21 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
So where pilight? I need to know if an Interim coach has ever been fired and replaced with another Interim coach?

Not in the W

PostPosted: 06/27/21 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:

Not in the W

Yeah, I'm not sure about some of his coaching decisions. I didn't get to watch the game the other night, but Aari scores 10 points in 7 minutes in the first half. Her stat line ended as 10 points in 7 minutes. Was she hurt/banged up?

The post situation is very disheartening. Parker is starting to come alive. Billings has always given good energy off the bench. But EWill, who has played well in years past, has gotten dominated by other posts this year.

Thank goodness for the guard play. CWill has been the constant all year. Good to see Carter come back and pick up where she left off. Sims has been very solid when having to play when Carter went down and now Hayes. I wonder what it will be like with a fully healthy Carter, CWill, and Hayes all starting at the same time.

And then there's Stricklin. At least she got in the game this time.

Force10rulz

PostPosted: 06/27/21 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We should have never let Sami go, Candace doesn’t come close to her shooting and defense. What a mistake that was.

PostPosted: 06/27/21 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Dream aren't very good. They wouldn't be very good if Collen was still the coach and they wouldn't be very good under another interim coach. They're especially ungood without Hayes. I think they're on the right track, but this was always going to be a building year.

PostPosted: 06/27/21 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:

Not in the W

The post situation is very disheartening. Parker is starting to come alive. Billings has always given good energy off the bench. But EWill, who has played well in years past, has gotten dominated by other posts this year.

Getting totally dominated by Flagrant Fowles is bad, getting dominated by Shook is downright depressing.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 06/27/21 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Force10rulz wrote:
We should have never let Sami go, Candace doesn’t come close to her shooting and defense. What a mistake that was.

We would not have been able to pay her probably anything close to what she is making with the Liberty. Based on the contract and the fact that NY worked a sign-and-trade with Seattle, I get the feeling that the Liberty wanted to prevent us from trying to negotiate a "hometown" discount. NY really wanted her.

Queenie wrote:
May I just say once again that I very much enjoy Sami dominating teams when we're not the team she's dominating?

Yes.

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I’m not in the locker room obviously so I’m just guessing here. But separating Sami’s actual performance, which has also been really solid, but it comes across that her leadership is a big deal too.

A couple of things that are observations both watching her play and hearing her speak. She’s incredibly unselfish in terms of her shot selection and her willingness to move the ball for better shots. Her shooting % is over 50 and honestly the team would probably be better off if she’d take some of the shots she passes up. But that said, her unselfishness is a great trait. She also willingly handles the ball more when needed. She hustles on D. She rebounds. She takes charges. She takes shots that end opposing teams’ runs.

Then I was listening to her post game on Thursday. She was incredibly accountable and honest about herself and her teammates. In a pleasant way. A way that you can tell she can get people to listen.

I thought that she was better suited coming off the bench and that her streaky nature in the past suited that role. As it turns out, starting and having a more prominent role in a system that is tailored for her play has made her step up another level.

There was a handful of games where she barely shot the ball recently. Two separate broadcasts have made mention of her displaying pain. Idk if there’s a correlation, but she dismissed it in seconds without hesitation. You get the feeling even if she was in pain she would never acknowledge it publicly.

What a terrific player. We’d be nowhere near 8-8 without her. Like nowhere even close.

I am so happy for her. The team-first attitude, the hustle, the basketball smarts...now you see why she is so beloved by the fans wherever she plays.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/27/21 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Excellent tribute to Sami Whitcomb, who's been SO valuable for the Liberty. Worth noting that in the offseason some here questioned this signing, especially given the financial terms. Sure looks at the moment like a great decision.

I am gradually getting over the nightmare of that Liberty game in Seattle years ago when Sami came off the bench and hit... 15 or 20 consecutive three-pointers??? It felt like that to me.

And, yes, from her interviews she seems like a great person and veteran leader.

GO SAMI.

PostPosted: 06/27/21 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes I was one of those people that questioned why we
were paying her that money and did we really need her.
I admit now
quite happily I WAS WRONG !

I do NOT have that feeling about Kia Stokes

Randy

PostPosted: 06/27/21 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Yes I was one of those people that questioned why we
were paying her that money and did we really need her.
I admit now
quite happily I WAS WRONG !

I do NOT have that feeling about Kia Stokes

Always better to be happy than right.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: