RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

VACCINATION NATION
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will You Be Getting the Coronavirus Vaccine?
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Hell to the Yeah
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Throw a dart and aim for my ass, yes
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Use a blowgun and hit me in the neck as I drive by the ER
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No, personal health reasons
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No, I don't trust/believe in it.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

pilight

PostPosted: 03/05/21 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On a happy note, California is vaccinating gorillas...

https://www.businessinsider.com/gorilla-troop-san-diego-zoo-vaccinated-against-coronavirus-2021-3

Quote:
The gorillas had made a full recovery by mid-February, and Lamberski said she worked on trying to obtain vaccines to prevent further infection in the gorilla troop and other apes at the zoo.

PostPosted: 03/05/21 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My nephew is a college student and just got vaccinated in Washington. Went with his mother's over 65 boyfriend to the vaccination place and asked them if they had any extras. They did and he got it. And he left with an appointment for the second shot. He said he heard that they take the vaccine out of the freezer and if someone doesn't show up it spoils after a few hours. Seems like they would have ways to prevent that, but for some reason they vaccinated a healthy 20 year old without an appointment.

Altogether, 69% of U.S. adults surveyed by the Pew Research Center now intend to become vaccinated.

Quote:
Epidemiologists estimate that up to 85% of the country will need to be vaccinated in order to achieve herd immunity against the coronavirus. At that point, the virus will have difficulty finding new hosts to infect, and the outbreak will come to an end.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/05/21 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is not whiny, winder.

You just about read my mind and my situation. I’m 63. Two heart conditions. One foot left of colon. I dropped 45 pounds so I was no longer obese at my last doctors appointment but I’ve gained ten back so whatever that means I’m sure isn’t helpful. And there is absolutely nothing that suggests I’ll be getting my first vaccine before summer. While we are now vaccinating strapping young people. I mean it is just as politically messy as I thought it might get when I started this thread.

I have more info though but I’ll have to listen to the AM radio and transcribe it but someone was just on KNX explaining how absolutely impossible (my characterization) it will be to manage or verify this 16-64 tier and whether they indeed meet the medical criteria. He said maybe a note from your doctor but that could be faked. He said the best solution would be for your primary doctor or medical group to determine your eligibility and administer the vaccines in their offices.

Which should have been happening already where possible but with the J&J stab that may be more easily accomplished.

I too am not the type to make a stink and, again, I’m not eligible anyway, but that’s kind of the fucked up part of it. This thing with the schools is all politics.

PostPosted: 03/05/21 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

You just about read my mind and my situation. I’m 63. Two heart conditions. One foot left of colon. I dropped 45 pounds so I was no longer obese at my last doctors appointment but I’ve gained ten back so whatever that means I’m sure isn’t helpful. And there is absolutely nothing that suggests I’ll be getting my first vaccine before summer. While we are now vaccinating strapping young people. I mean it is just as politically messy as I thought it might get when I started this thread.

I have more info though but I’ll have to listen to the AM radio and transcribe it but someone was just on KNX explaining how absolutely impossible (my characterization) it will be to manage or verify this 16-64 tier and whether they indeed meet the medical criteria. He said maybe a note from your doctor but that could be faked. He said the best solution would be for your primary doctor or medical group to determine your eligibility and administer the vaccines in their offices.

Which should have been happening already where possible but with the J&J stab that may be more easily accomplished.

I too am not the type to make a stink and, again, I’m not eligible anyway, but that’s kind of the fucked up part of it. This thing with the schools is all politics.

Crazy question, but would it be possible to take a part time job in one of the industries that are eligible, get your shot(s) and then quit? I heard about a woman who took a job at a nursing home just so that she could see her husband who was a resident.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/05/21 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

The verification goes directly, i.e. electronically, from the medical facility to the state. There's no point at which an individual can game the system unless s/he can alter their medical records which usually can only be done by a physician.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/05/21 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope you can get it soon jammer. If you haven't already, this website lets you register and they claim they will let you know when you are eligible:

https://myturn.ca.gov/

I wonder if they are mostly bypassing "get it from your doctor or medical group" route (at least in my county) so that they can be sure that the vaccine is equally available to poor people who may not have health insurance and don't have a regular doctor they see. But that does make it difficult, if not impossible, for someone at the county fairgrounds or the football stadium to verify if someone has medical conditions that should move them up in the sequence.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/06/21 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Crazy question, but would it be possible to take a part time job in one of the industries that are eligible, get your shot(s) and then quit? I heard about a woman who took a job at a nursing home just so that she could see her husband who was a resident.

The question there is whether the jammer would rather get a job or die of COVID.

PostPosted: 03/06/21 6:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I hope you can get it soon jammer. If you haven't already, this website lets you register and they claim they will let you know when you are eligible:

https://myturn.ca.gov/

I wonder if they are mostly bypassing "get it from your doctor or medical group" route (at least in my county) so that they can be sure that the vaccine is equally available to poor people who may not have health insurance and don't have a regular doctor they see. But that does make it difficult, if not impossible, for someone at the county fairgrounds or the football stadium to verify if someone has medical conditions that should move them up in the sequence.

Oh I forgot to mention this. The state is turning the entire process over to BlueCross to manage. Thank you for the link and well wishes. I’ve heard the address so many times but I haven’t been inclined to get there and register because I know I’m a long way off from being eligible.

PostPosted: 03/06/21 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Oh I forgot to mention this. The state is turning the entire process over to BlueCross to manage.

Ahhh, yes. THIS is what comes of trying to vaccinate the *neediest* people in a population of 330 million. Spread out, in different densities, across several thousand miles, in 50 different governmental 'units'.

Then, there's THIS.
Quote:
As slow as the rollout of COVID-19 vaccines has been in the United States, some estimates say billions of people around the world won't be vaccinated for COVID-19 until 2022 or 2023.

Bloomberg has been publishing a map that shows the level of vaccine distribution in different countries and virtually the entire continent of Africa — more than 50 nations — is blank.

In light of all our individual experiences, can we still consider ourselves fortunate in that we have at least a HOPE of getting the vaccine soon? And while we wait, we aren't quarantining in a mud thatch hut, or a crowded Mumbai ghetto, or war-ravaged Lebanese city.

PostPosted: 03/06/21 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jammer, is the state the reason you can't get vaccinated? My wife has an auto immune disorder and I have asthma. We both got appointments for this month fairly easily in NYC.

PostPosted: 03/06/21 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Oh I forgot to mention this. The state is turning the entire process over to BlueCross to manage.

Ahhh, yes. THIS is what comes of trying to vaccinate the *neediest* people in a population of 330 million. Spread out, in different densities, across several thousand miles, in 50 different governmental 'units'.

Then, there's THIS.
Quote:
As slow as the rollout of COVID-19 vaccines has been in the United States, some estimates say billions of people around the world won't be vaccinated for COVID-19 until 2022 or 2023.

Bloomberg has been publishing a map that shows the level of vaccine distribution in different countries and virtually the entire continent of Africa — more than 50 nations — is blank.

In light of all our individual experiences, can we still consider ourselves fortunate in that we have at least a HOPE of getting the vaccine soon? And while we wait, we aren't quarantining in a mud thatch hut, or a crowded Mumbai ghetto, or war-ravaged Lebanese city.

Or my last apartment. Whew. Barely dodged that bullet. Always wanted to live on that street. Prettiest street of apartments in Beverly Hills. Off the beaten path. And the previous tenant was Greg Louganis.

But I’ve always had these recurring nightmares that I’m living in a place that just depresses the hell out of me, and then while I’m not asleep, that took the form of a great dread that I would as an older person end up someplace like that.

And it happened!

But we escaped just like 8 months before the pandemic to the most absolutely perfect apartment to have to sit out a pandemic in.

So hey, all I have to do is look around my own living space and the property and the street and the neighborhood and I know how fortunate I am and I remain grateful for that.

But, you know, I just strongly disagreed from the beginning with what I felt was going to be the wrong way of doing this vaccination stuff, which the earliest news stories telegraphed. And I think that what has happened and is happening in my state is proving my concerns to have been more than justified.

PostPosted: 03/06/21 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
Jammer, is the state the reason you can't get vaccinated? My wife has an auto immune disorder and I have asthma. We both got appointments for this month fairly easily in NYC.

I think it is the state. When the CDC changed its guidelines to then include age and infirmities etc. the state of California did not adapt those changes on the date the CDC designated the new guidelines to begin and HELLO... have yet to move to proceeding with vaccinations according to those guidelines. That would be the 16-64 with certain health problems.

AND... California took those health guidelines and sort of drilled down into the details of each of the, let’s call them co-morbidities, at least as those CDC guidelines were reported in the news, and made them SO MUCH more ... I don’t really have a word for this... the health issues have to be you’re knocking on death’s door already.

I’ll get the list and paste it here. Bottom line, I won’t be in that tier either.

PostPosted: 03/06/21 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay this is crazy and NO ONE is going to believe me.

So I sent my primary care physician a message very briefly expressing that I am now confused about when I might get a jab. I reminded her, because she is a new doctor for me, of my various health conditions. Which, honestly, I don’t really even think about 99.99% of the time.

So she directed me to the county coronavirus website.

And I read, once again, the more dire list and descriptions of the health problems that would qualify a person between the ages of 16-64 to get a shot... whenever the state finally gets around to vaccinating those in that category here. I say here because I think that some of you have already received your shots based on you being in those categories.

So I wanted to copy and paste them here and I went just now to the page where I read them (and I’d read them before elsewhere) and I can’t find them. I don’t believe they are still there anywhere on the county’s coronavirus website. Like they’ve vanished. There is only this bit of flippant confusion.

“Starting on March 15th, the state is most likely going to allow healthcare providers to start vaccinating persons age 16-64 who have certain severe health conditions that put them at the highest risk of getting very sick from COVID-19. After that, the state will probably move to an age-based strategy. We will share more information when it is available from the CDC and the State.”

I think the link to the page where the severe health conditions were specified was contained in that paragraph. But, at least as far as I can see, it’s gone.

So, that’s weird. Removed from LA County’s coronavirus page. So I found it on the state site.

See if these are different from the state or counties that you guys live in.

Cancer, current with debilitated or immunocompromised state

Chronic kidney disease, stage 4 or above

Chronic pulmonary disease, oxygen dependent

Down syndrome

Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from solid organ transplant

Pregnancy

Sickle cell disease

Heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies (excludes hypertension)

Severe obesity (Body Mass Index ≥ 40 kg/m2)

Type 2 diabetes mellitus with hemoglobin A1c level greater than 7.5%

So just a couple of quick comments. Excludes hypertension? LOL. I guess it’s not one of the main comorbidities. A weakened immune system but only due to a solid organ transplant? CURRENT cancer. Stage 4 kidney disease. And only oxygen dependent pulmonary disease. Class 4 obese? Sorry. High blood pressure, 64 years old, pulmonary disease but not on oxygen, etc. Too bad you’re not on the docket until possibly summertime.

But here is who California is vaccinating RIGHT NOW.

#7. Cannabis industry employees are included in Phase 1a for medicinal cannabis and Phase 1b Food and Agriculture for growing, production, storage, transport and distribution. Medical cannabis workers should be accommodated as necessary in Phase 1b, Tier 1, by nature of their designations in eligible essential workforce classifications.

#21. Workers supporting veterinary services. Phase 1b, Tier 1 Food & Agricultural workers, includes veterinary work in a wider variety of work settings. In the context of COVID-19 vaccine, the focus for phase 1A is on human-to-human exposures in human clinical settings. As such, veterinary services employees may be more appropriately vaccinated in Phase 1b.

**Persons at risk of occupational exposure to SARS-CoV-2 through their work in any role in the following Education and Child Care settings

All formal and informal childcare workers, including day care providers
All staff in colleges, universities, junior colleges, community colleges, and other postsecondary education facilities
All staff in educational support services and administration
All staff in Pre-kindergarten, elementary, middle, and high schools
All staff in technical and trade schools
Any other workers involved in child and/or student care, including school bus drivers and monitors, crosswalk guards, etc.

Wow.

PostPosted: 03/06/21 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, one last thing, which is encouraging for the jammer’s predicament.

This paragraph precedes the first of the guidelines I posted in the previous post.

Beginning March 15,healthcare providers may use their clinical judgement to vaccinate individuals age 16-64 who are deemed to be at the very highest risk for morbidity and mortality from COVID-19 as a direct result of one or more of the following severe health conditions:

So my doctor kicked the can down the road and me to the curb. But according to this, she is the ONE who can and should determine whether my health conditions should permit me to get vaccinated.

And, I don’t know if you notice, but it says that healthcare providers blah blah blah can VACCINATE... those they deem worthy of living.

Boy oh boy. Does this fly in the face of the BlueCross taking over ALL vaccinations in the state of California HORSESHIT. Mad

PostPosted: 03/06/21 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

California's not vaccinating smokers?

I'm shocked, shocked to find the politicians in charge of deciding who gets this vital medicine and who doesn't made political decisions about it.

PostPosted: 03/06/21 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve said BlueCross and it’s Blue Shield.

PostPosted: 03/07/21 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jammer, this is the NY list. It's much more inclusive than what you posted for CA when it comes to hypertension, autoimmune, and even just obesity.

"New York residents who have:

*Cancer (current or in remission, including 9/11-related cancers)
*Cerebrovascular disease (affects blood vessels and blood supply to the brain)
*Chronic kidney disease
*Heart conditions, including but not limited to heart failure, coronary artery disease, cardiomyopathies or hypertension (high blood pressure)
*Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system), including but not limited to solid organ transplant or from blood or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV, use of corticosteroids, use of other immune weakening medicines or other causes
*Intellectual and developmental disabilities including Down syndrome
*Liver disease
*Neurologic conditions including but not limited to Alzheimer's disease or dementia
*Pulmonary disease, including but not limited to COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), asthma (moderate-to-severe), pulmonary fibrosis, cystic fibrosis and 9/11-related pulmonary diseases
*Pregnancy
*Severe obesity (body mass index of 40 kg/m2 or higher), obesity (body mass index of between 30 kg/m2 and 40 kg/m2)
*Sickle cell disease or thalassemia
*Type 1 or 2 diabetes mellitus"

PostPosted: 03/07/21 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
California's not vaccinating smokers?

I take it Georgia IS....? Shocked Of course, in a state where Tobacco is produced prodigiously, I'd think they'd want to take care of their consumers. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 03/07/21 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
Jammer, this is the NY list. It's much more inclusive than what you posted for CA when it comes to hypertension, autoimmune, and even just obesity.

"New York residents who have:

*Cancer (current or in remission, including 9/11-related cancers)
*Cerebrovascular disease (affects blood vessels and blood supply to the brain)
*Chronic kidney disease
*Heart conditions, including but not limited to heart failure, coronary artery disease, cardiomyopathies or hypertension (high blood pressure)
*Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system), including but not limited to solid organ transplant or from blood or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV, use of corticosteroids, use of other immune weakening medicines or other causes
*Intellectual and developmental disabilities including Down syndrome
*Liver disease
*Neurologic conditions including but not limited to Alzheimer's disease or dementia
*Pulmonary disease, including but not limited to COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), asthma (moderate-to-severe), pulmonary fibrosis, cystic fibrosis and 9/11-related pulmonary diseases
*Pregnancy
*Severe obesity (body mass index of 40 kg/m2 or higher), obesity (body mass index of between 30 kg/m2 and 40 kg/m2)
*Sickle cell disease or thalassemia
*Type 1 or 2 diabetes mellitus"

Wow. See what I’m sayin’? This is definitive proof that California is nuts.

PostPosted: 03/07/21 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I’m wondering, and you all know I’m incredibly happy that so many here have gotten a jab, but how many of you, looking at the list of qualifying illnesses/severities here in California versus what those lists look like in your own states, would still be waiting for their first shot. I guess that’s a question. Cool

So I would already qualify (for two different reasons) in NY. But unlike recreational cannabis and unlicensed day care workers, and God knows who else, I’m not only not getting vaccinated at this time, I’m not likely to be for potentially months.

Now yes, things could begin to move faster. But what I don’t like is hearing the words “withholding doses.” For any reason. For example. So California is set to receive its largest allotment of vaccine so far this very week coming up: 320K doses. But... they will be withholding about 40% for second doses. Maybe second doses for recreational cannabis workers.

I am going to start working my doctor a little more aggressively. So don’t be surprised if I do get a jab sooner. The state does say that health care providers are, to some extent we can only guess at, going to be making the call as to who among their patients get the shot. Even under California’s stricter list it does indicate, in a very non-specific way, coronary artery disease as a qualifying illness. No guidance on severity.

And honestly, I think that’s where the devil is in the details of what California really is. Because therein lies an area where doctors and more affluent and connected and aggressive patients, like I am about to become, can fly under an umbrella that was placed there just for them to utilize. Or us. Embarassed

And if you truly believe, as I do, that people who are at a much greater risk of dying of COVID should be getting the vaccine before those who are much less likely of suffering even a severe case because they are not in their 60s, with two heart conditions, etc. then I don’t have any moral or ethical compunctions about pushing my own healthcare provider for a shot.

Fuck this shit.

Last edited by jammerbirdi on 03/07/21 1:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/07/21 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
So I’m wondering, and you all know I’m incredibly happy that so many here have gotten a jab, but how many of you, looking at the list of qualifying illnesses/severities here in California versus what those lists look like in your own states, would still be waiting for their first shot. I guess that’s a question. Cool

I'm assuming that I would qualify under CA guidelines since I work in healthcare. I didn't see it on the list, but I'm thinking that's because that group was opened first and the list only includes the newest openings? Right?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/07/21 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

I'm assuming that I would qualify under CA guidelines since I work in healthcare. I didn't see it on the list, but I'm thinking that's because that group was opened first and the list only includes the newest openings? Right?

Yes you would have deservedly been in the first group to be vaccinated in Cali. I do think that anyone who works in any capacity in healthcare down to cafeteria workers and parking lot attendants at hospitals or clinics were rightly in that first group.

PostPosted: 03/07/21 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jammer, from what you listed as your health issues, I would not have any thought of any type of compunction for aggressively going after that vaccine. It's insane that the CA parameters are so tight but I'm more surprised that your doctor didn't schedule an appointment to give you the vaccine when you called. Good luck! I hope you are able to get in there soon.

ETA: I also would not qualify in CA and I have an appointment in NY for later this month. Same for my wife but she gets one this week.

PostPosted: 03/07/21 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you, gpark.

PostPosted: 03/07/21 4:48 pm    ::: As I said I am... Reply Reply with quote

NOT eligible in CA and won't be any time soon as best I can tell. I do not have major health issues aside from hypertension that is well controlled with medication. I suck at viruses though. I catch a cold and it takes me forever to get rid of it. If I got COVID I would probably be sick a long time or end up with that post-COVID "long hauler" syndrome. I was 1C under the first plan. Under NY's plan I think I would have qualified due to the blood pressure issue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: