RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LibFan25

PostPosted: 12/06/21 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sandy Brondello is out in Phoenix, will the Libs take a shot at her?

I will only be good with this if she can bring in Big stars to come to Brooklyn

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/06/21 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Olaf Lange hasn't gotten a shot yet. He won overseas and he's been a long-time WNBA assistant. Lange would be coming from this year's championship team. Those are some of the usual reasons coaches get hired, and they all apply to Olaf. If he gets the job, it wouldn't surprise anyone if Sandy came along.

PostPosted: 12/06/21 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:
Who should the Liberty hire now?

Trudi Lacey is available

Trudi will ALWAYS be available.

PostPosted: 12/06/21 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Olaf Lange hasn't gotten a shot yet. He won overseas and he's been a long-time WNBA assistant. Lange would be coming from this year's championship team. Those are some of the usual reasons coaches get hired, and they all apply to Olaf. If he gets the job, it wouldn't surprise anyone if Sandy came along.

How about Liberty hire Sandy. She's shown that she can win and that she can make Playoff runs. Win Win for the iberty.

I like Lange elsewhere.

PostPosted: 12/06/21 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:
It's Sabrina's birthday. Maybe firing Walt was her birthday present. She gets to pick the next coach.

What about player-coach? Worked well for Bill Russell. Smile

As an old Knicks fan, you should be aware of a better example. In 1964, at the age of 24, Dave DeBusschere became player-coach of the Detroit Pistons. Sabrina would be the same age if she became coach.

You are absolutely right to remind this OLD Knicks' fan about Dave DeBusschere's time as a player coach. But I'm not sure it's a better example. Bill Russell won two NBA championships as a player coach; Dave DeBusschere didn't win any in that dual role.

PostPosted: 12/06/21 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
root_thing wrote:
It's Sabrina's birthday. Maybe firing Walt was her birthday present. She gets to pick the next coach.

What about player-coach? Worked well for Bill Russell. Smile

As an old Knicks fan, you should be aware of a better example. In 1964, at the age of 24, Dave DeBusschere became player-coach of the Detroit Pistons. Sabrina would be the same age if she became coach.

You are absolutely right to remind this OLD Knicks' fan about Dave DeBusschere's time as a player coach. But I'm not sure it's a better example. Bill Russell won two NBA championships as a player coach; Dave DeBusschere didn't win any in that dual role.

The comparison was age and lack of experience. Becoming an NBA head coach at 24 was extraordinary. Throw in the fact that DeBusschere had already spent two years playing baseball, pitching for the White Sox.

PostPosted: 12/06/21 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
How about Liberty hire Sandy. She's shown that she can win and that she can make Playoff runs. Win Win for the iberty.

I like Lange elsewhere.

Where would elsewhere be? You're not thinking Phoenix would fire Sandy to hire her husband, are you? If getting Sandy is "win win" for New York, then getting Olaf plus Sandy is win-win, win-win. Smile

PostPosted: 12/06/21 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
The comparison was age and lack of experience. Becoming an NBA head coach at 24 was extraordinary. Throw in the fact that DeBusschere had already spent two years playing baseball, pitching for the White Sox.

It was all extraordinary: that Dave DeBusschere had played major league baseball and in the NBA. And that he was an NBA player-coach at age 24. I vividly remember first reading that the Knicks had traded Walt Bellamy and Howard Komives for DeBusschere. Wow, what a move! Surely if we made a list of the great trades in all New York professional sports that's in the Top Ten, maybe higher.

PostPosted: 12/06/21 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tonya Edwards?
2021 assistant coach with the championship Sky, as well as when the Sparks won in 2016. Not a successful head coach when at Alcorn State for 7 seasons (2008-20015), but did well coaching high school in the 90s lol

Also wouldn't mind Sandy, personally.

Chris Koclanes.......jk lol I don't know anything about him other than he would be eye candy Laughing Razz

undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/06/21 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
How about Liberty hire Sandy. She's shown that she can win and that she can make Playoff runs. Win Win for the [L]iberty.

You can't be serious. You ask for Sandy's head on a platter in literally every Merc game thread, and now you're recommending her to other teams Question Confused Question Laughing

PostPosted: 12/07/21 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tell me what Sandy Brondello has won without generational talent and I'll consider her resume.

PostPosted: 12/07/21 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA coaching candidates: Who could be the next coach of the New York Liberty and Phoenix Mercury?

Quote:
Sue Bird: No, she has not announced retirement as a player, so we are taking a flier here... maybe the challenge of trying to lead the Liberty to its first title -- not to mention the first pro basketball title for the Big Apple since the Knicks won the 1973 NBA championship -- might be alluring.

Bird has never been a coach -- she has worked with the Denver Nuggets' front office -- but the point guard has long been the ultimate coach on the floor.

Analogous to the Nets hiring Steve Nash?

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/32806315/wnba-coaching-candidates-the-next-coach-new-york-liberty-phoenix-mercury

PostPosted: 12/07/21 3:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Honestly, I don't think this was the right move. I feel like they need to give a coach more than 2 years.

You mean like they gave Katie Smith, Reeve’s current right hand man?

johnjohnW wrote:
Is there a better candidate out there?

Asking anybody in particular? I mean I did identify Collen as a head coaching candidate before anybody here. Now she’s making millions with Baylor. Oh, and I identified Tanisha Wright as head coaching candidate while she was still a player with the Liberty during the Laimbeer years. Now she’s coaching the Dream.

Anyway, I’m surprised nobody brought up that Eric Thibault was a finalist for the Liberty job that eventually went to Hopkins. Add to that, the Mystics recently extended Thibault even though he’s 71 years old. Might be time for little Thibault to spread his wings, if he ain’t skurt. Not sure if he’s a believer in the 5-Out system popularized by Hopkins. Wouldn’t be advisable.

If PHX won’t give Hairston the head coaching job, if she wants it, maybe she move on too.

Here’s a creative one. How about Sue Bird head coaching in her native New York? 🤔 She was basically the coach over in Seattle. Might as well be a head coach officially and FINALLY retire as a player.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 12/07/21 3:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can see it being T-Spoon

Kind of bad timing waiting this long as T. Wright would have been a great choice IMO

I don't hate the Bird idea (She hopefully would help Ionescu go to the next level) and for better or worse the Liberty would get a ton of National coverage.

I am sure there are some lesser known candidates but after going with one in Hopkins maybe they go the known quantity route.

slightly different topic I think all the draftees from the last two seasons (excluding Ionescu and maybe Onyenwere) should be nervous. I doubt a new coach will feel any loyalty to Odom, Willoughby, Shook, Jones, or even Didi. And I am pretty sure it was Hopkins who was all about Allen as well. I won't be surprised to see most of those player gone next season, (they'll get a chance to prove themselves in camp but different system different coach may have just dropped a lot of their value. None of them look that good on paper either. Hopefully their agents can put together some nice clip reels.) Hoping Richards makes the cut.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/07/21 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Tell me what Sandy Brondello has won without generational talent and I'll consider her resume.

If you believe Ionescu is a generational talent then hiring someone with a proven ability to win with such talent seems reasonable

PostPosted: 12/07/21 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Queenie wrote:

If you believe Ionescu is a generational talent then hiring someone with a proven ability to win with such talent seems reasonable

Shots fired! Ha.

It seems too coincidental that both of these coaches "mutually agreed" to part ways after relatively successful seasons. I feel like this has a Brondello to NY all over it.

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/07/21 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Supposedly, the last time around, the finalists were Hopkins, Eric Thibault, and Steve Smith. Smith is a long-time assistant in the league, having served in Indiana, Connecticut, LA three times, Detroit, and Phoenix. Honestly, I think Smith was included for the optics -- an African-American coach who has paid his dues to cover for interest in two young white coaches with limited experience.

I don't get the sense that Kolb or the Tsai's care about the old Liberty the way fans do. I'd be very surprised if T-Spoon gets the job. She seems too prickly. If Spoon had more success on her coaching résumé, then maybe. But that's not the case. I think management would prefer someone smoother. Sue Bird would certainly be PR-friendly if she were actually interested. I guess Brondello would be too. Who else? Clara Wu Tsai has been involved in all these forums that push for equality and social justice. Hiring an African-American woman would certainly make her look good. Who would fit their mold? Dawn Staley is not leaving South Carolina. Adia Barnes is probably up for a big raise at Arizona, if not a better job elsewhere. Carolyn Peck? I can hear fans yelling "No way!" from their couch. Coquese Washington? She had some brief success at Penn State, and Coquese has a law degree. Fancy degrees seem to impress the current ownership. Washington was also the first president of the WNBA Players Association. She's even a former Liberty player from the "glory days." Checks a lot of boxes, but do we actually like her as a coach? Felisha Legette-Jack anyone?

PostPosted: 12/07/21 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
SCook wrote:

I like Lange elsewhere.

Where would elsewhere be? You're not thinking Phoenix would fire Sandy to hire her husband, are you? If getting Sandy is "win win" for New York, then getting Olaf plus Sandy is win-win, win-win. Smile

Elsewhere is Phoenix. Laughing

PostPosted: 12/07/21 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
SCook wrote:
How about Liberty hire Sandy. She's shown that she can win and that she can make Playoff runs. Win Win for the [L]iberty.

You can't be serious. You ask for Sandy's head on a platter in literally every Merc game thread, and now you're recommending her to other teams Question Confused Question Laughing

I never felt Sandy was a horrible Coach. I felt she was no longer the answer for Phoenix.

Sandy has a WNBA championship, 8 Playoff appearances and 9 single elimination wins. New York needs a Coach that has shown they can win at this level. Sandy also has ties to players on the team already. Why not try Sandy out?

PostPosted: 12/07/21 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:
Who should the Liberty hire now?

Trudi Lacey is available

LOL!

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/07/21 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm wondering how Liberty fans feel about perhaps hiring a third consecutive head coach for our team who has never been a WNBA head coach before. I'm not necessarily against this, but I find the idea a little unsettling given what happened here with Katie Smith and Walt Hopkins. Both seemed (at least to me) highly qualified to advance to the top job, but neither did well.

PostPosted: 12/07/21 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it really helps to have experience as a head coach somewhere. Being a head coach is very different from being an assistant because now you are responsible for everything. You are not a defensive coach, an offensive coach, a development coach -- you are the everything coach. Yes, you can and should delegate some responsibilities, but ultimately success or failure rests on your shoulders. During games, you're the one making decisions and adjustments -- everyone is looking to you for answers. The head coach also has to be the bad guy and bearer of bad news. That means cutting people from the team, reducing minutes for poor play, and in some cases keeping players glued to the bench. You can be a friend as an assistant, but it's much harder as a head coach.

I think knowing the WNBA in some capacity helps. It doesn't have to be as head coach. If you're an ex-player who is familiar with the lifestyle and environment, that's enough. You just have to be aware of the expectations.

PostPosted: 12/08/21 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

His gone to - missed a lot.

Let's see who they go with next

PostPosted: 12/08/21 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well. The timing was certainly odd. It’s closer to the free agent negotiation period than the end of the season. It makes one wonder why now. I’m sort of mixed on this. I liked Hopkins. I thought if given time and the right kind of healthy personnel he would ultimately succeed.

However, the Liberty are in a pretty solid position no matter who ultimately becomes the coach. There are a few draft possibilities that will fill their area of need (post skill and more size). They’re locked in at three spots with Sabrina, Laney and Howard. Howard can play the 4 spot or be a kind of hybrid 5 with better support from a taller post player. Sami is solid at 2 guard. Durr and Johannes are potential wildcards. There’s young depth with Jones, Onyenwere, DiDi and Shook. Free agency contains intriguing possibilities including Hines-Allen and Tina Charles. So in spite of the “small ball” approach they’ve used the last two years, they can very easily implement a different system while still having the core of their team intact. There’s a lot of young talent here. The organization is on the surface first-class. Finding a good coach should not be difficult.

I’d be fine with Brondello. She’s a structured coach. She’s good out of timeouts and to me has demonstrated an understanding of her team’s strengths and weaknesses. Perimeter players and interior players have equal opportunity and a degree of freedom within her structure. She’s experienced, which is something I also want. To echo the sentiments of others. Seeing how a new coach will be open to a wider array of player prototypes, this may well be a blessing in disguise.

PostPosted: 12/08/21 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Well. The timing was certainly odd. It’s closer to the free agent negotiation period than the end of the season. It makes one wonder why now.

The timing is so intriguing. It certainly suggests that there may have been mixed feelings about whether to retain or dump Hopkins. (This wasn't made clear, but I am assuming that he didn't simply quit.)

Some options:

There were postseason discussions between Kolb and Hopkins that didn't go well. Perhaps Kolb pushed Walt to abandon "small ball" and Walt wouldn't. Or seemed so unenthusiastic about making changes that Kolb decided he should fire Walt.

Kolb immediately wanted to fire Hopkins, but the Tsais were reluctant to approve that move, then ultimately came around for whatever reasons. Or the reverse: the Tsais were pushing to fire Hopkins but Kolb wanted to keep him, then ultimately Kolb came around. (Perhaps fearing they'd just fire him AND Hopkins.)

Kolb got surprising news that Sandy Brondello (or someone else) became available. He'd planned to keep Walt, then decided he liked the new option better.

These are all guesses. Could be that I haven't close to the truth with any of these thoughts. But I'd have to think that something changed between the end of the season and this week that led to Walt's departure.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 7 of 55

Jump to: