RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/15/23 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
The Sun actively trying to get worse? Clear losers in this to me by a wide margin.

It was the player this time not the organization pulling a Catchings Laughing

PostPosted: 01/15/23 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where's Queenie? It's not everyday a MVP candidate falls in your lap, because make no mistake the Sun got robbed Exclamation Giving up a player of JJ's caliber and the best you can get is a #6 draft pick Shocked

How is the math mathing? Do the Liberty have enough for JJ and potentially Stewart?

Howard is a good pickup for Dallas, I think she and McCowan can work well together in the post. If they can hold onto A. Gray I think the Wings can do some damage.

As for the Sun, ayiyi! I hope this not a harbinger of the Taylor/White era.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 01/15/23 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Folks are tweeting Jones requested a trade to NY. Shocked

Interesting? Well that changes my opinion on Taylor/White. Unfortunately when stars want out there's usually not much upper management can do about that.

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
If this is the case, I would think CT would request a BOUNTY for her...

Exclamation Exclamation

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 01/15/23 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
The Sun actively trying to get worse? Clear losers in this to me by a wide margin.

I had a feeling JJ wanted out after the way the Finals went, but figured it subsided after Curt Miller left Confused Well, at least she didn’t push it to the now trending move of asking for a contract divorce.. Idea

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/15/23 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Where's Queenie? It's not everyday a MVP candidate falls in your lap, because make no mistake the Sun got robbed Exclamation Giving up a player of JJ's caliber and the best you can get is a #6 draft pick Shocked

How is the math mathing? Do the Liberty have enough for JJ and potentially Stewart?

Howard is a good pickup for Dallas, I think she and McCowan can work well together in the post. If they can hold onto A. Gray I think the Wings can do some damage.

I AM TOO HYPE TO MAKE WORDS GOOD NOW MUCH SCREM VERY WOW SUCH W00T

I love this. I love JJ, and getting Kayla Thornton as well is the cherry on top. I will miss Flash, Dangermouse, and Bec, but holy crap. Holy crap. Especially since my initial guess was that the third wheel was Seattle and a Stewart sign-and-trade was involved. I don’t speak cap so I don’t know what this means for our free agency, but I’m already thrilled with our move.

I saw the RachBomb on the way home from hanging with the crew and skipped two errands to get home in time to celebrate.

PostPosted: 01/15/23 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

I had a feeling JJ wanted out after the way the Finals went, but figured it subsided after Curt Miller left Confused Well, at least she didn’t push it to the now trending move of asking for a contract divorce.. Idea

Sad part is I don’t think she’s the last or only domino wanting out of Uncssville from what I know. I expect a few more moves from the sun .

PostPosted: 01/15/23 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:

Looks to me that this deal clears more money, so Stewie should still be a possibility. I understand Connecticut not having much leverage with JJ's trade request but you'd think they would've been able to get Gray in this deal, who would fit well there. Or at least get out of Jas Thomas' deal and be able to comfortable bring Jones, Williams, and Hiedeman back.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/15/23 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imagine a line up of

Ionescu
Johannes/Thornton
Laney
Stewie
JJ

A lot of players have tweeted this week that there’s been more communication amongst coworkers this off-season so I think this line up is going to happen. Tsai is not coming to play this year . Patiently waiting to see Sloots decision now. Stewie to NY looks more appeasing than staying in Seattle even with Slooty tbh now.
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 01/15/23 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/15/23 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTP wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

Looks to me that this deal clears more money, so Stewie should still be a possibility. I understand Connecticut not having much leverage with JJ's trade request but you'd think they would've been able to get Gray in this deal, who would fit well there. Or at least get out of Jas Thomas' deal and be able to comfortable bring Jones, Williams, and Hiedeman back.

Biggest obstacle was that Dallas did not want Thomas nor Heideman. Gray to Conn would and could only happen once their UFA’s and RFA’s made their decision as this was not on her top half of destination places. It was a championship place fitter and with JJ gone I doubt it’s as desirable for her.

PostPosted: 01/15/23 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
It's not everyday a MVP candidate falls in your lap, because make no mistake the Sun got robbed Exclamation

Not every day, but isn’t this the 3rd time a MVP candidate has fallen into NY’s lap? Twisted Evil Cappie Pondexter, Tina Charles, and now JJ… and Stewart would make 4 Exclamation

DTP

PostPosted: 01/15/23 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
DTP wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

Biggest obstacle was that Dallas did not want Thomas nor Heideman. Gray to Conn would and could only happen once their UFA’s and RFA’s made their decision as this was not on her top half of destination places. It was a championship place fitter and with JJ gone I doubt it’s as desirable for her.

In that case, I wait for a better deal to come along if I'm CT. I get it....easier said than done, but I just don't see much value in this deal at all. Allen's deal just adds to their salary cap mess and you can find Ty's production at a cheaper price most likely.

The only real benefit of doing this deal now for them is being able to re-sign Jones quickly.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/15/23 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTP wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
DTP wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

In that case, I wait for a better deal to come along if I'm CT. I get it....easier said than done, but I just don't see much value in this deal at all. Allen's deal just adds to their salary cap mess and you can find Ty's production at a cheaper price most likely.

The only real benefit of doing this deal now for them is being able to re-sign Jones quickly.

Bingo …with expectation that no
Other players pull a JJ which is very realistic right now for the sun. I can think of two but not being 100% I’d rather wait and see like everyone else around the league rn players included .

PostPosted: 01/15/23 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eh. I'm not amped about this. I've always thought JJ is oberhyped in this league. Free agency is off to an exciting start.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/15/23 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Eh. I'm not amped about this. I've always thought JJ is oberhyped in this league. Free agency is off to an exciting start.

It’s going to get so much better I definitely feel it it for sure more so than ever. Super teams not including last seasons PHX implosion will be real. In more than one city.

PostPosted: 01/15/23 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
It's not everyday a MVP candidate falls in your lap, because make no mistake the Sun got robbed Exclamation

Not every day, but isn’t this the 3rd time a MVP candidate has fallen into NY’s lap? Twisted Evil Cappie Pondexter, Tina Charles, and now JJ… and Stewart would make 4 Exclamation

Admiral let's not ruin Queenie's high by harping on the first two Laughing Laughing

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/15/23 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a Liberty fan, I'm thrilled that Jonquel Jones is coming to New York whether or not Kristen Stewart follows. But of course getting both of them would be spectacular.

With Jones and Thornton coming... with Howard, Allen, and Dangerfield gone... with no #6 draft pick... there are some interesting implications of this trade for the Liberty roster. New York extended qualifying offers to both Johannes and Han, which I'd like to mean that both will be on the Liberty in 2023. (Of course this could be untrue.) Allen and Dangerfield being gone may open up more of a chance for Willoughby and/or Onyenwere and/or Richards to be in the rotation. I have no idea if this trade will mean anything for Sabally, Kone, Carrera, or Fauthoux.

I'm excited and intrigued! i hope Kristen Stewart feels the same way. Smile

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 01/15/23 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/15/23 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Late last season I wasn't convinced that Clara Wu Tsai and Joe Tsai would bring Jonathan Kolb back for another year as general manager of the Liberty. Once it was clear that they were, I felt certain that 2023 would be decisive for Kolb. One more mediocre season and he'd be out. So I thought that during this offseason he'd do all he could to make big moves.

Now he has. Hopefully followed by Stewart coming to New York. If not, then I suspect Kolb will make another significant move if it all possible. This team should be a genuine contender this season.

PostPosted: 01/15/23 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTP wrote:

This was my first thought after seeing the deal, from the CT Sun POV. The quad of JJ, Alyssa, BJones and "the stick" did not get them a 'ship so it was time to break up the band. I realize JJ was the one instigating the trade but I also think new leadership thought BJones fit better with the other two members of that quad. In other words, Being able to offer BJones a supermax was a priority for them so someone else had to go - and it wasn't going to be "the engine."

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/15/23 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
As a Liberty fan, I'm thrilled that Jonquel Jones is coming to New York whether or not Kristen Stewart follows. But of course getting both of them would be spectacular.

Sorry, I'm not hip to why you refer to Stewart as "Kristen."

~rAf
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/15/23 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Acquiring J.J. is a solid move. This will move the Liberty as the number one contender for the 2023 championship IF they can get Stewart.💵🏆

PostPosted: 01/15/23 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

I think it's a running joke at this point...

PostPosted: 01/15/23 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well crap this is a very interesting unexpected move

there does seem to be a Stewart sized hole at PF and considering Jones is cheaper than Howard and we can replace Allen guaranteed 136k with Thortons 110k contract there is no reason we can't go after Stewart and if we keep the rest cheap we might even be able to go with 12 instead of 11 even with Stewart

with that said if we don't get Stewart we can always bring in one of Sabally or Kone to take some PF minutes and if we still have both Dolson and Han Xu as options at center maybe we experiment with some big line ups with Jones at the 4, not sure about defense but with Jonquel, Dolson and Han Xu all having a three point shot they could probably exist together on the offensive side, and we could probably get some minutes with Onyenwere or Thorton at the 4 as well.

Before Stewart (I am putting out a different group of starters for more balanced looking roster but TBH I would probably start both Ionescu and Johannes) for this line up I am also assuming Kone and Sabally both show up and our healthy as that seemed to be the plan for them last season and I am doing my big line up but don't take the starters too seriously just mixing it up for fun, and to solve our back up PG problem but again truth be told we might have to sign a back up PG I would see if L, Allen is gettable but we would probably be looking at vet minimum so someone might pay a little more

Ionescu/Johannes
Laney/Richards/Willoughby
Thorton/Onyenwere
J. Jones/Kone/Sabally
Dolson/Han Xu

I would be totally OK with this and this is probably good enough to contend

so if we bring in Stewart and a Back up PG we probably only need one of Kone, Sabally, Onyenwere

but going full fantasy ATM and pretending we can sqeak by with a roster of 12

Ionescu/L. Allen ?
Johannes/Richards/Willoughby
Laney/Thorton
Stewart/Kone
J. Jones/Han Xu/Dolson

I am more excited about Kone than I am about Sabally ATM
Willoughby's guaranteed contract protects her so last cut comes down to Richards or Onyenwere and Richards wins for me by a hair

my only slight disappointment or relief in the trade (besides missing Howard, Allen and Dangerfield all of whom I like) is we no longer have to pay attention to this years draftees (6 was a crap shoot anyway) but I do always enjoy that pre-draft time and lets face it our 3rd round pick ain't making it,

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 01/15/23 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Nothing to be hip to. It's my stupidity and I apologize.

PostPosted: 01/15/23 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
so if we bring in Stewart and a Back up PG we probably only need one of Kone, Sabally, Onyenwere

but going full fantasy ATM and pretending we can sqeak by with a roster of 12

Ionescu/L. Allen ?
Johannes/Richards/Willoughby
Laney/Thorton
Stewart/Kone
J. Jones/Han Xu/Dolson

I am more excited about Kone than I am about Sabally ATM
Willoughby's guaranteed contract protects her so last cut comes down to Richards or Onyenwere and Richards wins for me by a hair

I always liked Lindsey Allen and would be happy to see her return. Dangerfield's play last season convinced me that having a genuine backup point guard out there at times with Sabrina had value for the Liberty.

I don't know enough about Kone or Sabally to say which is better. Certainly Kone seems quite intriguing.

I prefer Onyenwere over Richards. On the other hand, with Willoughby presumably on the team because of her guaranteed contract perhaps it makes more sense to have Willoughby and Richards rather than Willoughby and Onyenwere.

Apart from whether Stewart comes or not, it's easy to imagine Kolb making a trade just because of the roster crunch. Perhaps two for one or trading someone named above for a 2024 second round draft pick.

PostPosted: 01/15/23 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes no offense to Willoughby but I have been thinking Willoughby for a second round pick n 24 would be a good move teams like Atl, Sea, Chi and LA have wide open rosters cap to spare and if they are win now Willoughby would be better on their bench than a 2nd round pick or never been in the W camp invite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 5 of 18

Jump to: