RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCLR WILL FILE SUIT AGAINST PENN STATE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/20/05 7:11 am    ::: NCLR WILL FILE SUIT AGAINST PENN STATE Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR) said yesterday that it plans to file an anti-lesbian discrimination suit against Penn State on behalf of former women's basketball player Jen Harris within the next month.

"We will be moving forward, and we plan to file suit shortly," Karen Doering, NCLR attorney, said. "We've still got to draft the complaint."

The lesbian-rights advocacy group had set yesterday as the deadline for Penn State to retract a statement made by women's basketball coach Rene Portland about Harris, saying that it defamed Harris' character.

Penn State did not retract the statement, but Penn State spokesman Bill Mahon said the NCLR has not yet given the university enough information to begin an investigation into the matter.

"Until we get some information from them, I'm not sure how a reasonable person could suggest that we have enough information to investigate," Mahon said. "All we have are press releases and headlines." http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2005/10/10-20-05tdc/10-20-05dsports-10.asp

Quote:
"I am disappointed, but I am not surprised," said Doering, who filed the original complaint against Portland on Oct. 11 and wants to handle the situation without going to court. "This just illustrates that Rene Portland gets to operate under different rules than other people at the university."

Doering, who has a team of lawyers, said she is not afraid to get into a legal battle with a large university. Doering said she has talked to attorneys from a law firm in Philadelphia, who are willing to help with the case pro bono. She did not want to disclose the name of the firm until an agreement is finalized.

"If Penn State is counting on getting the little guy, then they have made a serious miscalculation," Doering said. "That also shows a lot of arrogance." http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/college/s_385991.html

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 10/20/05 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where's PSU's general counsel in all this? It really seems to me like both Portland and Mahon are shooting themselves in the foot every time they open their mouths. Somebody should tell them to be just a wee bit more circumspect in their comments.

FeFi

PostPosted: 10/20/05 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree..it's as if they think this will just go away or that it's no big deal so they spout off these offensive things. It's almost as if the university itself is minimizing these charges. I know that when a lawsuit is threatened or brought against my university, we hear very careful and diplomatic words from the spokesperson and certainly never hear anything directly from the accused (department head or coach or whatever). In other words, the way you would expect a savvy entity to react to charges -- if they are baseless, then that will come out in court, no need to fire off bullshit (and potentially libelous) statements. Frankly, if my university had a spokesperson like Mahon, I'd be on the phone complaining about how he represents my school. I wonder if they're hearing from any alumni...

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/20/05 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will say it again, the official PSU (not Portland) response to this has been ASTOUNDING. Regardless of what happens to the coach, McMahon should lose his job over his complete lack of any kind of savvy. His entire job is to create a positive image for the university (or at least a neutral one) and he is failing miserably. The first rule for PR is "Do no harm." He is doing harm with every statement he makes.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/20/05 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Affirmative Action Office update on discrimination allegations
Thursday, October 20, 2005 http://live.psu.edu/story/14218
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Tuesday evening, Oct. 11, immediately after the National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR) reported allegations that Penn State women’s basketball coach Rene Portland discriminated against Jennifer Harris, Penn State officials began to examine the case.

University legal counsel talked to Ms. Portland on Oct. 12 to explain the allegations brought by the NCLR. Ms. Portland denied the allegations and was advised that an investigation would be conducted by Penn State.

Penn State attorneys then contacted the NCLR the same day to advise of the University’s initiation of an investigation and to request that a meeting be scheduled with NCLR representatives to receive from them specific information about the allegations. University counsel spoke with NCLR counsel again on Oct. 18 and offered to meet with NCLR representatives as quickly as possible. The NCLR as of Thursday, Oct. 20, has not responded to that request.

Obviously, Penn State’s investigation will be facilitated and more thorough with the cooperation of the NCLR. However, in the absence of such cooperation, the University will continue to investigate the allegations. As a part of this process, any individual having direct information regarding this matter may contact Ken Lehrman, director of the Office of Affirmative Action, at 814-863-0471 or kfl2@psu.edu.

All individuals will be afforded confidentiality to the extent possible, and the process provides for protection against retaliation. Information regarding discrimination complaints may be found on the Affirmative Action Web page at http://www.psu.edu/dept/aaoffice/complaint.htm

The University is conducting an impartial and thorough investigation based on information that is received regarding the allegations.

Penn State remains committed to its non-discrimination policy, which is fundamental to the principles of the University. Penn State will be diligent in its efforts to thoroughly investigate all allegations brought before it.

Contact
Bill Mahon
bmahon@psu.edu
http://live.psu.edu
814-863-1028

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/20/05 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Quote:
Affirmative Action Office update on discrimination allegations
Thursday, October 20, 2005 http://live.psu.edu/story/14218
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Tuesday evening, Oct. 11, immediately after the National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR) reported allegations that Penn State women’s basketball coach Rene Portland discriminated against Jennifer Harris, Penn State officials began to examine the case.

University legal counsel talked to Ms. Portland on Oct. 12 to explain the allegations brought by the NCLR. Ms. Portland denied the allegations and was advised that an investigation would be conducted by Penn State.

Penn State attorneys then contacted the NCLR the same day to advise of the University’s initiation of an investigation and to request that a meeting be scheduled with NCLR representatives to receive from them specific information about the allegations. University counsel spoke with NCLR counsel again on Oct. 18 and offered to meet with NCLR representatives as quickly as possible. The NCLR as of Thursday, Oct. 20, has not responded to that request.

Obviously, Penn State’s investigation will be facilitated and more thorough with the cooperation of the NCLR. However, in the absence of such cooperation, the University will continue to investigate the allegations. As a part of this process, any individual having direct information regarding this matter may contact Ken Lehrman, director of the Office of Affirmative Action, at 814-863-0471 or kfl2@psu.edu.

All individuals will be afforded confidentiality to the extent possible, and the process provides for protection against retaliation. Information regarding discrimination complaints may be found on the Affirmative Action Web page at http://www.psu.edu/dept/aaoffice/complaint.htm

The University is conducting an impartial and thorough investigation based on information that is received regarding the allegations.

Penn State remains committed to its non-discrimination policy, which is fundamental to the principles of the University. Penn State will be diligent in its efforts to thoroughly investigate all allegations brought before it.

Contact
Bill Mahon
bmahon@psu.edu
http://live.psu.edu
814-863-1028

That is more like it, but it smacks of to little to late.

Interesting that she is refered to as Ms. Portland and not Coach Portland.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/21/05 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NCLR is on the ball! Its home page now features the cover of Penn States' 2004-2005 women's basketball media guide. Who is pictured? Jen Harris! http://www.nclrights.org/ (I suppose there's a chance it's a Photoshop creation, but I like it anyway!) Very Happy

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 10/21/05 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bold prediction:

PSU: "Well, we conducted a thorough investigation of Coach Portland and her women's basketball program, and found no credible evidence of discrimination on any basis."

Wait and see.

PostPosted: 10/21/05 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Something needs to move this beyond "she said-she said"...maybe a couple more players, or ex-players making a simple phone call to "Old Main"? Are the "big name" players staying out of this? Mazzante, Strom, Brungo, etc.

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 10/21/05 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Something needs to move this beyond "she said-she said"...maybe a couple more players, or ex-players making a simple phone call to "Old Main"? Are the "big name" players staying out of this? Mazzante, Strom, Brungo, etc.

It's possible that some former players were supportive of her reported policies regarding lesbians on the team. You have to figure that if she used it in recruiting on a regular basis, many of the players would have known what they were getting into. Some may have gone to PSU in spite of it, but it's certainly possible that for some players it may have been a positive. If so, I wouldn't think they'd be likely to volunteer their stories.

I defininitely don't intend to imply that any of the three players named would fall into that category, because I have no idea at all. It just wouldn't surprise me if former players who stayed with the program for four years don't come out in droves to provide support for Harris' lawsuit.

[/quote]

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/21/05 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VandyWhit wrote:
Quote:

It's possible that some former players were supportive of her reported policies regarding lesbians on the team. You have to figure that if she used it in recruiting on a regular basis, many of the players would have known what they were getting into. Some may have gone to PSU in spite of it, but it's certainly possible that for some players it may have been a positive. If so, I wouldn't think they'd be likely to volunteer their stories.

I defininitely don't intend to imply that any of the three players named would fall into that category, because I have no idea at all. It just wouldn't surprise me if former players who stayed with the program for four years don't come out in droves to provide support for Harris' lawsuit.

[/quote]

or the other side of that is there silence could be construed as an admission that it goes on, and they don't want to stand up against the coach.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/21/05 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
VandyWhit wrote:
Quote:

or the other side of that is there silence could be construed as an admission that it goes on, and they don't want to stand up against the coach.[/quote]

If it didn't, you would also expect some players to come out and say that they had never seen any evidence that she had these policies or treatments.

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 10/21/05 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
or the other side of that is there silence could be construed as an admission that it goes on, and they don't want to stand up against the coach.

That's certainly a possibility, too. Sometimes silences can be darned hard to read, and this is one of those situations.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/21/05 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's be patient. The battle of the headlines and press releases came first.

Quote:
{Karen} Doering {of NCLR}, who has a team of lawyers, said she is not afraid to get into a legal battle with a large university. Doering said she has talked to attorneys from a law firm in Philadelphia, who are willing to help with the case pro bono. She did not want to disclose the name of the firm until an agreement is finalized. http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/college/s_385991.html

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 10/21/05 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VandyWhit wrote:
That's certainly a possibility, too. Sometimes silences can be darned hard to read, and this is one of those situations.

Yes. Most people don't want to be whistleblowers, and many athletes don't like press conferences (except the ones that come after championships). I've been hoping Suzie McConnell-Serio would comment publicly, but if I were in her position I'm afraid I'm not sure what I would do. I suspect that the W would rather not associate itself in any way with this controversy right now, much as we wish the league and all its players would speak out against injustice whenever and wherever it occurs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: